CSNbbs
A great irony about UConn - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: A great irony about UConn (/thread-899937.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

A great irony about UConn - Fighting Muskie - 05-22-2020 05:38 PM

The greatest irony about UConn’s betrayal is that if they had decided to desert the football side and depart with the Catholic 7 they would have been the 1 vote needed to disband the original Big East, screwing Cincinnati, USF, and all of the schools who were planning on joining as full members in 2013.

UConn and their basketball friends could have walked out with lots of cash and Cincinnati and USF wouldn’t have got the parting gifts from WVU, Pitt, Cuse, Rutgers, Louisville, and ND.

RE: A great irony about UConn - BraveKnight - 05-22-2020 05:58 PM

FFS, how many bash UConn threads do we need?

RE: A great irony about UConn - IamYourDad - 05-22-2020 06:46 PM

(05-22-2020 05:58 PM)BraveKnight Wrote:  FFS, how many bash UConn threads do we need?

More

RE: A great irony about UConn - rtaylor - 05-22-2020 07:22 PM

(05-22-2020 05:38 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  The greatest irony about UConn’s betrayal is that if they had decided to desert the football side and depart with the Catholic 7 they would have been the 1 vote needed to disband the original Big East, screwing Cincinnati, USF, and all of the schools who were planning on joining as full members in 2013.

UConn and their basketball friends could have walked out with lots of cash and Cincinnati and USF wouldn’t have got the parting gifts from WVU, Pitt, Cuse, Rutgers, Louisville, and ND.

Not big on time lines, are ya? 03-lmfao

RE: A great irony about UConn - HuskyU - 05-22-2020 07:37 PM

Betrayal is rooting for both Ohio State and UC.

RE: A great irony about UConn - SMUleopold - 05-22-2020 07:47 PM

(05-22-2020 05:38 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  The greatest irony about UConn’s betrayal is that if they had decided to desert the football side and depart with the Catholic 7 they would have been the 1 vote needed to disband the original Big East, screwing Cincinnati, USF, and all of the schools who were planning on joining as full members in 2013.

Maybe it's not about screwing people...

Maybe it was about trying to make it work as an all-sports conference with their football team, which had actually shown signs of life and progress since they started trying to the sport at this level? About not abandoning a program that had an uphill climb all the through, with the exception of having a solid foundation of conference membership and they felt as though having fought for that for a number of years it wasn't worth just throwing it away?

Just sayin'.....

RE: A great irony about UConn - Bear Catlett - 05-22-2020 08:08 PM

(05-22-2020 07:37 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  Betrayal is rooting for both Ohio State and UC.

Who am I to pass up a UConn bash session...

But HuskyU's right on this one.

RE: A great irony about UConn - jedclampett - 05-22-2020 09:44 PM

Since they helped out the remaining conference members, "UConn's betrayal" shouldn't necessarily be described as a "betrayal" at all.

Ultimately, they just did what was in their best interests on both occasions.

In 2013, their FB program was pretty solid, and they were expected to be able to compete quite well in the BE/AAC, so staying in the conference made the most sense to them at the time.

In 2020, their FB program couldn't compete in the conference, and they could save travel expenses and get nearly as much cash by switching to the nBE.

RE: A great irony about UConn - Attackcoog - 05-22-2020 10:06 PM

Look---I would have preferred they stayed. I think they were a nice set piece for the conference and their basketball was very helpful to the league perception (even when they were just average). But realistically, their fan base really wanted the Big East and their flagship program is mens basketball (which is rivaled by women's basketball). Getting back to playing nearby rivals in what some say is the best basketball conference in the nation----well, the Big East simply makes a lot sense for a school like UConn (even if you lose a few million a year doing it). You re-energize the fan base and you get back the kind of rivalries college sports is supposed to be about.

Yeah---I think their football may have a really tough go of it as an indy---but football was probably going to be a struggle no matter what they did. Given football's performance, I'd actually give them credit for having fairly decent fan support. It didnt really fall off the table until the wheels completely fell off the cart for an extended period....hopefully they can make it work. I wish them well.

RE: A great irony about UConn - BearcatJerry - 05-22-2020 10:20 PM

(05-22-2020 07:37 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  Betrayal is rooting for both Ohio State and UC.

And having a screen name that invokes/evokes Xavier...

RE: A great irony about UConn - Fighting Muskie - 05-22-2020 10:47 PM

Family ties to both schools.

RE: A great irony about UConn - Fighting Muskie - 05-22-2020 10:48 PM

(05-22-2020 10:20 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

It’s a reference to where I did my undergrad work: Muskingum University.

RE: A great irony about UConn - Fighting Muskie - 05-22-2020 10:52 PM

(05-22-2020 07:22 PM)rtaylor Wrote:  

Care to elaborate as to how my timeline is off? All of those departures were announced prior to December 2013 when the Catholic 7 announced they were departing.

RE: A great irony about UConn - CliftonAve - 05-23-2020 07:54 AM

(05-22-2020 10:48 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  
(05-22-2020 10:20 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

It’s a reference to where I did my undergrad work: Muskingum University.

Muskie did you go to UC for grad school? Are you originally from the Cincinnati area? You are not a regular on our board, so what I have always wondered is if you are a UC guy who also roots for OSU, or are you an OSU guy who also roots for UC. There's a bit of a distinction.

I am very familiar with Muskingham, I once used to service an account in Cambridge and once partnered up with then hoop's coach Geno Ford in a golf scramble.

RE: A great irony about UConn - bill dazzle - 05-23-2020 08:54 AM

(05-22-2020 10:47 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  

Family ties to both schools.

I can relate to this. My father attended Memphis State College (now the UofM) and many of our relatives (on his side) went to Tennessee. I'm not a Vol fan but I wish them well.

RE: A great irony about UConn - mustangxc - 05-23-2020 09:33 AM

(05-22-2020 10:52 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  
(05-22-2020 07:22 PM)rtaylor Wrote:  

Care to elaborate as to how my timeline is off? All of those departures were announced prior to December 2013 when the Catholic 7 announced they were departing.

Not my post to answer, but I'll take a guess. At the time, the American consisted of:
UConn
Temple
Rutgers
Cincinnati
Louisville (for one season)
Navy (was coming)
USF
UCF
Memphis
Houston
SMU

I'd say that conference was pretty good in basketball and had more of an eastern theme which was perfect for UConn in football and pretty good for UConn basketball. Even if UConn had gone with the Catholic 7, I believe there were still enough programs remaining in the Big East (Temple, Rutgers, Cincinnati, Louisville, USF) to keep the conference going.

RE: A great irony about UConn - billybobby777 - 05-23-2020 12:53 PM

You forgot about Rutgers, Louisville and Temple who has rejoined and replaced WV. There were 6 big East FB programs left.

RE: A great irony about UConn - Bear Catlett - 05-23-2020 01:20 PM

But didn't UConn get to split all that cash only three ways with only UC and USF?

I think splitting something three ways will give you more than splitting it 8 ways... I'm pretty sure about that.

A great irony about UConn - Pony94 - 05-23-2020 01:32 PM

(05-23-2020 01:20 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  

But didn't UConn get to split all that cash only three ways with only UC and USF?

I think splitting something three ways will give you more than splitting it 8 ways... I'm pretty sure about that.

SMU got some

RE: A great irony about UConn - Bear Catlett - 05-23-2020 01:48 PM

(05-23-2020 01:32 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  
(05-23-2020 01:20 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  

SMU got some

Yeah, but UC, UConn and USF got the lion's share, right?