CSNbbs
MAC Realignment? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Mid-American Conference Talk (/forum-472.html)
+---- Thread: MAC Realignment? (/thread-899839.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

MAC Realignment? - Cajuns1252 - 05-21-2020 09:02 AM

This isn’t meant to be a jab towards anyone, but will the massive budget cuts at Akron, CMU falling below the FBS requirements, and I’m sure more cuts to come do any of y’all anticipated a major realignment for the MAC?

RE: MAC Realignment? - BullBoy - 05-21-2020 09:39 AM

I don't see any realignment coming in the near future. Now depending on how things go over the next year or two and where budgets fall, there might be a need in the future to have that conversation and that doesn't just go for the MAC, but for mid-major sports in general. But for now I think things will stay pretty consistant.

RE: MAC Realignment? - Steve1981 - 05-21-2020 11:00 AM

Make sense and if those two do eventually go, it is almost perfect staying at 10. As there is a team from both the east and west, no shuffling required.

RE: MAC Realignment? - utpotts - 05-21-2020 11:55 AM

*** **** it another one of these threads................................

RE: MAC Realignment? - DICK - 05-21-2020 01:06 PM

Another thread started by outside fans. The MAC is a very stable conference. Most of the rest of D-1 NCAA is not. MAC schools fit well together and have a good understanding of who we are. Yes, this is a tough time for all D-1, especially G-5. However, remaining together and in D-1 is still the goal of every school.

RE: MAC Realignment? - Cajuns1252 - 05-21-2020 02:57 PM

(05-21-2020 01:06 PM)DICK Wrote:  Another thread started by outside fans. The MAC is a very stable conference. Most of the rest of D-1 NCAA is not. MAC schools fit well together and have a good understanding of who we are. Yes, this is a tough time for all D-1, especially G-5. However, remaining together and in D-1 is still the goal of every school.

This isn’t “one of those threads” this was an Actual question it just seems that y’all are being hit harder and the fastest, it was just an honest question. If this was the Sunbelt or CUSA it was happening too realignment would be right around the corner. Yalls foot print is already so small I don’t see y’all falling apart it was more or less do y’all see y’all conference adding affiliates or possibly seeing other schools in the conference get hit financially as hard.

RE: MAC Realignment? - pvk75 - 05-21-2020 04:44 PM

Realign how? Assuming everybody stays, move Bowling Green to the west with neighbor Toledo and Eastern Michigan east just because it's there? A thread for the sake of threading.

MAC Realignment? - indianasniff - 05-21-2020 04:48 PM

Maybe CMU adds a lower cost sport to get to number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: MAC Realignment? - Cajuns1252 - 05-21-2020 05:13 PM

(05-21-2020 04:44 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  Realign how? Assuming everybody stays, move Bowling Green to the west with neighbor Toledo and Eastern Michigan east just because it's there? A thread for the sake of threading.

No, like drop to 8 or 10 teams bring in a FCS, or some one say hey screw this and go Indy

RE: MAC Realignment? - Cajuns1252 - 05-21-2020 05:14 PM

(05-21-2020 04:48 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  Maybe CMU adds a lower cost sport to get to number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea because currently they only have 5 men’s sports, with that number it’s not even enough to be FCS they would have to go to D2....they might have to get use to playing in the superior dome

RE: MAC Realignment? - Kit-Cat - 05-22-2020 08:27 AM

(05-21-2020 11:00 AM)Steve1981 Wrote:  Make sense and if those two do eventually go, it is almost perfect staying at 10. As there is a team from both the east and west, no shuffling required.

TV contract might require 12 in FB though.

Very hypothetical as the MAC has already announced its cost containment measures and the schools have begun to make public their cuts. Cuts that are more about the optics than structural (e.g. dropping FB).

RE: MAC Realignment? - Schadenfreude - 05-22-2020 05:32 PM

Central Michigan's AD indicated he had a backup plan if the NCAA doesn't let him stay at just five men's sports. I highly doubt that plan involves joining the GLIAC. I don't see any membership changes happening.

RE: MAC Realignment? - mufanatehc - 05-22-2020 08:17 PM

(05-21-2020 05:13 PM)Cajuns1252 Wrote:  
(05-21-2020 04:44 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  Realign how? Assuming everybody stays, move Bowling Green to the west with neighbor Toledo and Eastern Michigan east just because it's there? A thread for the sake of threading.

No, like drop to 8 or 10 teams bring in a FCS, or some one say hey screw this and go Indy

No one is going to leave the MAC and go independent. There are no cost savings there and scheduling would be a nightmare.

Also, no one is dropping to FCS and leaving the MAC either, as there are not that much savings in doing so. The MAC is the most geographically compact league for the members to be in at the D1 level (especially for the Ohio & Michigan schools). Dropping to the OVC or MVC would increase travel costs, which would negate the savings from the reduction in football scholarships. And once you factor in the loss of exposure and (marginal) revenue from the MAC's ESPN deal, such a move looks even worse.

RE: MAC Realignment? - Cajuns1252 - 05-22-2020 08:50 PM

(05-22-2020 05:32 PM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  Central Michigan's AD indicated he had a backup plan if the NCAA doesn't let him stay at just five men's sports. I highly doubt that plan involves joining the GLIAC. I don't see any membership changes happening.

I just read that they will begin to sponsor men’s golf, I’m guessing they’ll probably promote a club team and run it super low budget

RE: MAC Realignment? - prairiedawg - 05-22-2020 09:33 PM

(05-22-2020 08:50 PM)Cajuns1252 Wrote:  
(05-22-2020 05:32 PM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  Central Michigan's AD indicated he had a backup plan if the NCAA doesn't let him stay at just five men's sports. I highly doubt that plan involves joining the GLIAC. I don't see any membership changes happening.

I just read that they will begin to sponsor men’s golf, I’m guessing they’ll probably promote a club team and run it super low budget

Hard to spend a lot of dough in those parts golfing, good move

RE: MAC Realignment? - emu steve - 05-23-2020 04:00 AM

(05-22-2020 08:17 PM)mufanatehc Wrote:  
(05-21-2020 05:13 PM)Cajuns1252 Wrote:  

No one is going to leave the MAC and go independent. There are no cost savings there and scheduling would be a nightmare.

Also, no one is dropping to FCS and leaving the MAC either, as there are not that much savings in doing so. The MAC is the most geographically compact league for the members to be in at the D1 level (especially for the Ohio & Michigan schools). Dropping to the OVC or MVC would increase travel costs, which would negate the savings from the reduction in football scholarships. And once you factor in the loss of exposure and (marginal) revenue from the MAC's ESPN deal, such a move looks even worse.

Agree 100%. I have been making this point for years.

The MAC is the most compact league one could hope. We receive ESPN revenues, College Football Playoff monies, generous road game guarantees (over 1M for some games), etc.

Move down to FCS and we lose many of those advantages.

RE: MAC Realignment? - Kit-Cat - 05-23-2020 12:36 PM

Over time the facility investments the MAC has made have added up.

It wasn't an overnight sensation thing like USF where one day they didn't have FB and the next day they are playing FB in an NFL stadium located in one of the best recruiting areas of the country.

The midweek package might ultimately be what keeps the MAC listed among the major conferences. ESPN needs that midweek programming from someone.

RE: MAC Realignment? - THUNDERStruck73 - 05-23-2020 02:19 PM

The MAC isn’t doing anything like that. They are the most stable of the g5 conferences and it’s not close. I dare say that they are more stable than the Big 12-2.

RE: MAC Realignment? - pvk75 - 05-23-2020 03:44 PM

As I said, a thread just for threading. emu steve, Kit-Cat and THUNDERStruck73 combined to nail it.

--- The MAC schools are not going to give up "payday" P5 road games, as that's a signifcant part of revenues, and P5's don't have the "room" to schedule too many FCS opponents.

--- I imagine P5 fans want to see an FBS opponent at home, even if it's somebody they "should" beat. MAC schools want a chance at beating a P5.

--- Schools that cut teams generally have more than the required 16. CMU has alternatives to keep at 16.

--- The MAC is already a pretty tight conference geographically, and overall pretty stable.

I question why someone who supports a school in another G5 conference comes on this board to stir up this conversation. Is there nothing to talk about on the Sun Belt board?

RE: MAC Realignment? - Fighting Muskie - 05-23-2020 04:32 PM

Even if the MAC were to lose a football school or two they’d simply stay put. If they lose 3 then maybe they add somebody to make sure they keep the CCG.