CSNbbs
Big East university campuses and personnel - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Proving Grounds (/forum-768.html)
+--- Forum: BigEastbbs (/forum-771.html)
+---- Forum: Big East Conference Talk (/forum-772.html)
+---- Thread: Big East university campuses and personnel (/thread-898270.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Big East university campuses and personnel - bill dazzle - 04-19-2020 08:17 AM

As some of you might know, I am a hobbyist regarding urban placemaking. I've always been fascinated by the manmade environment, including architecture, construction, city planning, skyscrapers and mass transit.

I would be curious to get folks' takes on the "form and function" — the feel and vibe, if you will — of the Big East university campuses. This involves how the buildings interact with each other, how pedestrians interact with the buildings and how the campuses interact with their respective cities.

I have seen via car the campuses of Marquette, Providence and Xavier.

I have walked (at least to an extent) the campuses of Butler, DePaul, Georgetown and St. John's.

I have not seen in any manner the campuses of Connecticut, Creighton, Seton Hall and Villanova.

And I often "visit" the campuses (and those of other conferences) via Google Satellite View and Google Street View.

Showing my homerism, DePaul's campus is my favorite of those in the Big East. I like the way the elevated train (the Red Line) runs along the east side of the campus. When I lived in Chicago, it was called the Howard Line and I took the train to and from work in the Loop.

A campus that intrigued me when I visited it in summer 1991 is that of St. John's in Queens. It is smallish (105 acres), thus offering some interesting quirkiness and building density.

Thoughts?

RE: Big East university campuses - HuskyU - 04-19-2020 12:10 PM

Storrs is very much like a Big Ten campus (minus the on-campus football/hockey venues).

RE: Big East university campuses - bill dazzle - 04-19-2020 01:06 PM

(04-19-2020 12:10 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  Storrs is very much like a Big Ten campus (minus the on-campus football/hockey venues).

I'm checking the UConn campus on Google Satellite View. Massive. I see it's about 4,400 acres. That, indeed, is like a Big Ten campus (my brother attending Indiana University and it's huge). Also, and like most Big Ten campuses, UConn is not located in a city (some exception in the P5 include, but not limited to) UCLA, UofWashington, Uof Minnesota, Georgia Tech, Florida State, etc. But I can't find a true "town" of Storrs. Rural? Mansfield seemingly has very few commercial businesses. I don't see, for example, a cafe or bar near the campus. There also appears to be no strip. So where do the UConn students go for a pizza or a used book store? Hartford is not too far to the west but it's still about a 45-minute drive (from what I can tell).

RE: Big East university campuses - Nameless - 04-21-2020 06:04 PM

(04-19-2020 01:06 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  
(04-19-2020 12:10 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  Storrs is very much like a Big Ten campus (minus the on-campus football/hockey venues).

I'm checking the UConn campus on Google Satellite View. Massive. I see it's about 4,400 acres. That, indeed, is like a Big Ten campus (my brother attending Indiana University and it's huge). Also, and like most Big Ten campuses, UConn is not located in a city (some exception in the P5 include, but not limited to) UCLA, UofWashington, Uof Minnesota, Georgia Tech, Florida State, etc. But I can't find a true "town" of Storrs. Rural? Mansfield seemingly has very few commercial businesses. I don't see, for example, a cafe or bar near the campus. There also appears to be no strip. So where do the UConn students go for a pizza or a used book store? Hartford is not too far to the west but it's still about a 45-minute drive (from what I can tell).

I didn't go to UConn, but my senior year I remember a friend who was going there saying Storrs is basically a town within a city (Mansfield) that gives the city it's actual population. I can't verify the veracity of that statement as I haven't spent a lot of time in Mansfield (only go there when driving to games) but I could see it being true. It seems pretty open/empty for a "city."

In terms of pizza, thanks to The BoneYard and a running joke that goes on there I know there is a Blaze pizza on campus. There's a lot of smaller businesses scattered around campus and just outside of it if a student is craving something else. My friend was obsessed with Baja Cafe (I think that was the name anyways.) I know there is a bookstore next to Gampel, but not sure if that's the type of bookstore you were referring to. When I hear "used bookstore" I think of like a big outlet where people buy and sell used novels and the like lol. There's a place here in CT called the book barn that actually does something like that.

RE: Big East university campuses - Nameless - 04-21-2020 06:05 PM

Wish I could comment on other campuses. Haven't had the chance to travel the way I'd like to

RE: Big East university campuses - bill dazzle - 04-22-2020 08:08 AM

(04-21-2020 06:04 PM)Nameless Wrote:  
(04-19-2020 01:06 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

I didn't go to UConn, but my senior year I remember a friend who was going there saying Storrs is basically a town within a city (Mansfield) that gives the city it's actual population. I can't verify the veracity of that statement as I haven't spent a lot of time in Mansfield (only go there when driving to games) but I could see it being true. It seems pretty open/empty for a "city."

In terms of pizza, thanks to The BoneYard and a running joke that goes on there I know there is a Blaze pizza on campus. There's a lot of smaller businesses scattered around campus and just outside of it if a student is craving something else. My friend was obsessed with Baja Cafe (I think that was the name anyways.) I know there is a bookstore next to Gampel, but not sure if that's the type of bookstore you were referring to. When I hear "used bookstore" I think of like a big outlet where people buy and sell used novels and the like lol. There's a place here in CT called the book barn that actually does something like that.

Your info has spurred me to take another look on Google Street View. I was referencing a small, old-school used bookstore that we used to see on college town strips for many years (and not a mega used bookstore like you reference or a college bookstore with text books).

Yes, it seems "Storrs" is simply the campus, with Mansfield (which appears very small) the nearest true town. Will look for Blaza and Baja Cafe.

We still have a handful of small used book stores in Nashville but nowhere nearly as many as we once had.

RE: Big East university campuses - Bogg - 04-22-2020 10:39 AM

Yea, Uconn's really its own "thing" out in the middle of the woods without even the sort of college town you see near a lot of big state universities (Obviously keep in mind we're dealing with Small State Distances, they're as "in the middle of nowhere" as you can be while also being 30 minutes outside the state capital). In recent years they've put up the closest thing there is to a "town center" as a single-project mixed use development, but when I was there it was pretty much the university and a few small strip malls on the edges of the school that housed businesses that almost exclusively served the school. Non-UConn Mansfield is basically a semi-rural bedroom community with a few farms, and quite honestly it was somewhat weird to us (at the time) that adults and families lived near UConn at all.

RE: Big East university campuses - bill dazzle - 04-22-2020 08:24 PM

(04-22-2020 10:39 AM)Bogg Wrote:  Yea, Uconn's really its own "thing" out in the middle of the woods without even the sort of college town you see near a lot of big state universities (Obviously keep in mind we're dealing with Small State Distances, they're as "in the middle of nowhere" as you can be while also being 30 minutes outside the state capital). In recent years they've put up the closest thing there is to a "town center" as a single-project mixed use development, but when I was there it was pretty much the university and a few small strip malls on the edges of the school that housed businesses that almost exclusively served the school. Non-UConn Mansfield is basically a semi-rural bedroom community with a few farms, and quite honestly it was somewhat weird to us (at the time) that adults and families lived near UConn at all.

Now I'm seeing (on Google Satellite View) various bars and restaurants, including Blaze Pizza and Tea More Cafe. There is even Nepalese restaurant Kathmandu.

There is also a CVS and Price Chopper (seemingly a grocery store). Not sure how I missed all this during my first "Google Maps visit."

Dop Lane, Wilbur Cross Road, Storrs Road and Royce Circle seem rather bustling.

There are also Ted's and Huskies on Eagleville Road.

Definitely a good bit of retail and restaurants near the campus.

RE: Big East university campuses - Bogg - 04-23-2020 07:59 AM

(04-22-2020 08:24 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  Now I'm seeing (on Google Satellite View) various bars and restaurants, including Blaze Pizza and Tea More Cafe. There is even Nepalese restaurant Kathmandu.

There is also a CVS and Price Chopper (seemingly a grocery store). Not sure how I missed all this during my first "Google Maps visit."

Yea, that's that's that mixed use development that they built all at once. It's got a pretty good mix of businesses actually, more than what shows up on the map view. It's definitely a new addition to the UConn experience though.

RE: Big East university campuses - bill dazzle - 04-23-2020 09:07 PM

(04-23-2020 07:59 AM)Bogg Wrote:  
(04-22-2020 08:24 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  Now I'm seeing (on Google Satellite View) various bars and restaurants, including Blaze Pizza and Tea More Cafe. There is even Nepalese restaurant Kathmandu.

Yea, that's that's that mixed use development that they built all at once. It's got a pretty good mix of businesses actually, more than what shows up on the map view. It's definitely a new addition to the UConn experience though.

Looking again on Google Maps, I'm impressed by the number of mixed-use buildings. I see a Barnes and Noble UConn. That's cool. And, my bad: it's Dog Lane (not "Dop").

Mansfield Town Square (in the heart of the action) looks very nice.

Nice campus.

RE: Big East university campuses - Nameless - 04-23-2020 09:43 PM

(04-23-2020 09:07 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

Looking again on Google Maps, I'm impressed by the number of mixed-use buildings. I see a Barnes and Noble UConn. That's cool. And, my bad: it's Dog Lane (not "Dop").

Nice campus.

Those 4 titles in less than 20 years helped us acquire some nice toys lol

RE: Big East university campuses - stever20 - 04-24-2020 08:11 PM

I know I drove through Nova's campus a year ago(tomorrow actually). Just an incredibly beautiful campus.

RE: Big East university campuses - bill dazzle - 04-25-2020 12:19 AM

(04-23-2020 09:43 PM)Nameless Wrote:  
(04-23-2020 09:07 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

Nice campus.

Those 4 titles in less than 20 years helped us acquire some nice toys lol

So the university owns some of the various mixed-use buildings located on the fringe of the campus? If so, that's very cool.

RE: Big East university campuses - bill dazzle - 04-25-2020 12:20 AM

(04-24-2020 08:11 PM)stever20 Wrote:  I know I drove through Nova's campus a year ago(tomorrow actually). Just an incredibly beautiful campus.

It looks very nice via Google satellite view.

RE: Big East university campuses - novachap - 04-26-2020 05:59 PM

(04-25-2020 12:20 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  
(04-24-2020 08:11 PM)stever20 Wrote:  I know I drove through Nova's campus a year ago(tomorrow actually). Just an incredibly beautiful campus.

Bill, Nova just released this aerial tour..

https://youtu.be/tdsxuRpM3hI

RE: Big East university campuses - bill dazzle - 04-27-2020 12:04 AM

(04-26-2020 05:59 PM)novachap Wrote:  

What a beautiful campus. The twin-spire church ... stunning. And all the trees. I would strongly enjoy strolling the Villanova campus. I've walked the UPenn campus (big time) but no other Philly-area campuses. I would enjoy spending some time in Philadelphia (have been only once and was there only about five hours).

Considering how much I enjoy viewing aerial videos of cities and places in general, I sincerely appreciate your posting this, novachap.

RE: Big East university campuses - Nameless - 04-28-2020 02:09 PM

(04-26-2020 05:59 PM)novachap Wrote:  

I agree with Bill. Great video, thanks for sharing

RE: Big East university campuses - bill dazzle - 05-01-2020 08:10 AM

To keep this thread going during the doldrums of spring/summer, I will "study" a Big East campus each week and post some thoughts. I will geographically move from east and move west. So the Providence campus should be my first "assessment." We've touched on the UConn campus but I might return with some final takes.

Enjoy your day, gents, and I shall be touch.

RE: Big East university campuses - billyjack - 05-02-2020 12:28 PM

(05-01-2020 08:10 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  To keep this thread going during the doldrums of spring/summer, I will "study" a Big East campus each week and post some thoughts. I will geographically move from east and move west. So the Providence campus should be my first "assessment." We've touched on the UConn campus but I might return with some final takes.

Hi Bill,
I can touch on the general PC area as you make your way around Google maps.

PC has a relatively small campus, pretty much square-shaped. It's in a working-class residential area on the north side of the city, like a couple of miles from downtown Providence. To what i'm gonna call the south and west are single family houses; to the east are typical 3 story tenement houses; to the north is a mix.

Generally, the city of Providence has a downtown, and then a series of roads heading out like spokes on a bicycle wheel. Two spokes border the campus-- Admiral Street to the north and Eaton Street to the south. But parallel and just to the south of Eaton, one block, is a high-traffic 2 lane road-- Route 44, aka Smith Street-- that is packed at rush hour heading to NW suburb towns of North Providence, Johnston, and Smithfield.

On the north side is River Ave, just a cut-across road. To the east waa Huxley Ave (dog mascot named after it). Huxley was closed to traffic just in the past couple of years.

Historically, the area if heavy Irish, Italuan, and Armenian. The There is no real solid "main street" for PC... a couple if random bars are in the area, on Admiral (in Eagle Park), and on Smith. There's an excellent Italian bakery on Smith (LaSalle Bakery), amd another one named Zaccagnini's which is not far from a supermarket plaza. Mainly, the few restaurants in this area are used by locals as much as PC students. There are no chain restaurants in the general area. There's a Newport Creamery, the statewide burger-ice cream shop, on Smith Street.

The more popular college hangout area is on Thayer Street at the Brown campus, which is on the "East Side" of the city, up the hill from downtown. When on Thayer Street, i do see Friar students hanging out, along with Brown and RISD students. it's too far to walk from PC to Brown, with no good sidewalks, but i guess they drive. Sometimes after PC games, i take the kuds to eat on Thayer, and often see Friar players sitting in the next booth. After the Marquette win, Luwane Pipkins was with us at Shake Shack, and other Friars were at a smoothie bar.

The PC vampus entrance is ob the corner of River and Eaton, with the original building and current admun right there in Harkley Hall. The track is just to its north. The north side of campus also has, going clockwise, the new Ruane Center for PC hoops, Student Union and bookstore known as the Slavin Center, the lacrosse field, the gorgeous and renovated 3500 seat on-campus hockey rink (Schneider Arena) which is on the corner of Admiral and Huxley, the new soccer field and softball field (site of former baseball field). To the south side of campus are dorms, classrooms, the library, and that important academic stuff. There's a small chapel on campus, but the area church is really St Pius, on the south side of Eaton Street.

Ok, that's a quick rundown to help get you going. Safe area. As kids there were lemonade shops (Google up Mr Lemon on Hawkins Street just to the northeast), my dentist, drug store, supermarket, bakeries like i mentioned. My grandmother was born in a tenement on Hawkins in the mill area of Wanskuck. Our Italian church was St Anne's, also on Hawkins-- Google that, it loooks like something in Siena.

Also, PC gave kids of immigrants a chance for a college education, like some in my family the generation before me. Kids could live at home at go to school at PC. it's very well-respected in the community-- it's not some insular heavy-handed scholl that bullies the locals. I didnt even go there (i'm a RISD alum), but i'm a huge fan of the school going back to my childhood in the 70's.

Also, PC played on campus thru 1972. Then the Friars moved into the Dunk (back then, the Providence Civic Center), which fit 12k, the second largest arena in New England at the time, behind only the Boston Garden. Major national program, lot of NBA-ers, one of the few colleges in a major downtown arena (another groundbreaking PC idea).

Ok, enjoy. I can try to answer any other questions you have.

RE: Big East university campuses - bill dazzle - 05-02-2020 02:14 PM

(05-02-2020 12:28 PM)billyjack Wrote:  
(05-01-2020 08:10 AM)bill dazzle Wrote:  To keep this thread going during the doldrums of spring/summer, I will "study" a Big East campus each week and post some thoughts. I will geographically move from east and move west. So the Providence campus should be my first "assessment." We've touched on the UConn campus but I might return with some final takes.

Hi Bill,
I can touch on the general PC area as you make your way around Google maps.

PC has a relatively small campus, pretty much square-shaped. It's in a working-class residential area on the north side of the city, like a couple of miles from downtown Providence. To what i'm gonna call the south and west are single family houses; to the east are typical 3 story tenement houses; to the north is a mix.

Generally, the city of Providence has a downtown, and then a series of roads heading out like spokes on a bicycle wheel. Two spokes border the campus-- Admiral Street to the north and Eaton Street to the south. But parallel and just to the south of Eaton, one block, is a high-traffic 2 lane road-- Route 44, aka Smith Street-- that is packed at rush hour heading to NW suburb towns of North Providence, Johnston, and Smithfield.

On the north side is River Ave, just a cut-across road. To the east waa Huxley Ave (dog mascot named after it). Huxley was closed to traffic just in the past couple of years.

Historically, the area if heavy Irish, Italuan, and Armenian. The There is no real solid "main street" for PC... a couple if random bars are in the area, on Admiral (in Eagle Park), and on Smith. There's an excellent Italian bakery on Smith (LaSalle Bakery), amd another one named Zaccagnini's which is not far from a supermarket plaza. Mainly, the few restaurants in this area are used by locals as much as PC students. There are no chain restaurants in the general area. There's a Newport Creamery, the statewide burger-ice cream shop, on Smith Street.

The more popular college hangout area is on Thayer Street at the Brown campus, which is on the "East Side" of the city, up the hill from downtown. When on Thayer Street, i do see Friar students hanging out, along with Brown and RISD students. it's too far to walk from PC to Brown, with no good sidewalks, but i guess they drive. Sometimes after PC games, i take the kuds to eat on Thayer, and often see Friar players sitting in the next booth. After the Marquette win, Luwane Pipkins was with us at Shake Shack, and other Friars were at a smoothie bar.

The PC vampus entrance is ob the corner of River and Eaton, with the original building and current admun right there in Harkley Hall. The track is just to its north. The north side of campus also has, going clockwise, the new Ruane Center for PC hoops, Student Union and bookstore known as the Slavin Center, the lacrosse field, the gorgeous and renovated 3500 seat on-campus hockey rink (Schneider Arena) which is on the corner of Admiral and Huxley, the new soccer field and softball field (site of former baseball field). To the south side of campus are dorms, classrooms, the library, and that important academic stuff. There's a small chapel on campus, but the area church is really St Pius, on the south side of Eaton Street.

Ok, that's a quick rundown to help get you going. Safe area. As kids there were lemonade shops (Google up Mr Lemon on Hawkins Street just to the northeast), my dentist, drug store, supermarket, bakeries like i mentioned. My grandmother was born in a tenement on Hawkins in the mill area of Wanskuck. Our Italian church was St Anne's, also on Hawkins-- Google that, it loooks like something in Siena.

Also, PC gave kids of immigrants a chance for a college education, like some in my family the generation before me. Kids could live at home at go to school at PC. it's very well-respected in the community-- it's not some insular heavy-handed scholl that bullies the locals. I didnt even go there (i'm a RISD alum), but i'm a huge fan of the school going back to my childhood in the 70's.

Also, PC played on campus thru 1972. Then the Friars moved into the Dunk (back then, the Providence Civic Center), which fit 12k, the second largest arena in New England at the time, behind only the Boston Garden. Major national program, lot of NBA-ers, one of the few colleges in a major downtown arena (another groundbreaking PC idea).

Ok, enjoy. I can try to answer any other questions you have.

Great job, BJack, with this overview. I was going to "study" both the city and the Providence campus tonight, so perfect timing. Your recommendations will be very helpful. Will offer some thoughts Sunday.

I ave been to the city once and was extremely impressed. My brother and I stayed the night, saw the Brown and Providence campuses, visit Little Italy. VERY nice city. Loved it.