CSNbbs
Dane Fischer is CAA Coach of the Year - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: Dane Fischer is CAA Coach of the Year (/thread-895634.html)

Pages: 1 2

Dane Fischer is CAA Coach of the Year - Tribal - 03-06-2020 01:15 PM

Dane Fischer Tabbed CAA Coach of the Year; Nathan Knight Sweeps Player of the Year Awards

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

RE: Dane Fischer is CAA Coach of the Year - Seahawk Nation 08 - 03-06-2020 01:48 PM

Well-deserved. Glad to see it didn't to to Mihalich, with whose coaching abilities I've never been impressed.

Kudos to the CAA for going against convention and awarding it to a 1st-year HC.

RE: Dane Fischer is CAA Coach of the Year - TDenverFan - 03-06-2020 02:11 PM

(03-06-2020 01:48 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  Well-deserved. Glad to see it didn't to to Mihalich, with whose coaching abilities I've never been impressed.

Mihalich is admittedly a solid coach, I just dislike how he acts during games and interviews.

I remember when we beat Hoftra by 20+ at their place he blamed it all on a bad practice, and didn't give any props to W&M or our players (Or mention us once during the press conference).

RE: Dane Fischer is CAA Coach of the Year - Tribal - 03-06-2020 06:42 PM

(03-06-2020 02:11 PM)TDenverFan Wrote:  
(03-06-2020 01:48 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  Well-deserved. Glad to see it didn't to to Mihalich, with whose coaching abilities I've never been impressed.

Mihalich is admittedly a solid coach, I just dislike how he acts during games and interviews.

I remember when we beat Hoftra by 20+ at their place he blamed it all on a bad practice, and didn't give any props to W&M or our players (Or mention us once during the press conference).
Fischer received 23 votes, 13 more than runner-up Joe Mihalich of Hofstra.

Bwahahaha

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

RE: Dane Fischer is CAA Coach of the Year - wmmii - 03-06-2020 09:53 PM

Well deserved honor to a quality coach that had to navigate many landmines to help the team excel.

RE: Dane Fischer is CAA Coach of the Year - Marshall Wythe - 03-06-2020 10:43 PM

Such a well deserved honor for Coach Fischer. He was handed a team with many defectors and a fan base that was.... ummmm.... confused (at best). And he scrambled to find some great players who could help immediately and put together one of the best seasons in Tribe history (all while attracting admirable numbers of fans to the home games). Bravo, Coach Fischer.

RE: Dane Fischer is CAA Coach of the Year - nj alum - 03-06-2020 11:53 PM

(03-06-2020 10:43 PM)Marshall Wythe Wrote:  Such a well deserved honor for Coach Fischer. He was handed a team with many defectors and a fan base that was.... ummmm.... confused (at best). And he scrambled to find some great players who could help immediately and put together one of the best seasons in Tribe history (all while attracting admirable numbers of fans to the home games). Bravo, Coach Fischer.

I agree.

RE: Dane Fischer is CAA Coach of the Year - wrnbldg - 03-07-2020 12:21 AM

Never doubted Coach Fischer. Think my record is clear on that. 03-nerd

(03-06-2020 10:43 PM)Marshall Wythe Wrote:  Such a well deserved honor for Coach Fischer. He was handed a team with many defectors and a fan base that was.... ummmm.... confused (at best). And he scrambled to find some great players who could help immediately and put together one of the best seasons in Tribe history (all while attracting admirable numbers of fans to the home games). Bravo, Coach Fischer.

RE: Dane Fischer is CAA Coach of the Year - bubbadog57 - 03-07-2020 06:57 AM

21 wins and counting, record 13 CAA victories and also counting. Who would have even imagined this before the season began?

Richly deserved by Coach Fischer.

RE: Dane Fischer is CAA Coach of the Year - Zorch - 03-07-2020 08:49 AM

I think folks might be going a little overboard here.

Dane Fischer deserved to win CAA Coach of the Year because of the results on the court. However, I am reserving judgment on just how good of a coach he is until next year. You know, the year when he doesn’t inherit the POY, the Defensive POY, a second First Team Defensive player, and a 7 ft 3rd team All-CAA player.

Next year will show us how good of a coach he is.

Dane Fischer is CAA Coach of the Year - ColonelEbirt - 03-07-2020 08:59 AM

I hope this award helps tip some recruits our way as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dane Fischer is CAA Coach of the Year - ColonelEbirt - 03-07-2020 09:01 AM

(03-07-2020 08:49 AM)Zorch Wrote:  I think folks might be going a little overboard here.

Dane Fischer deserved to win CAA Coach of the Year because of the results on the court. However, I am reserving judgment on just how good of a coach he is until next year. You know, the year when he doesn’t inherit the POY, the Defensive POY, a second First Team Defensive player, and a 7 ft 3rd team All-CAA player.

Your point is well-taken. He did inherit some great players. But he coached them up to perform at a level (individually and as a team) that enabled them to win these awards. It’s a combination of great coaching and great players.

RE: Dane Fischer is CAA Coach of the Year - Tribe32 - 03-07-2020 09:36 AM

Let's just enjoy the award and finish the season strong. No chance we know the starting five for next year right now. We have two new comers and lose four seniors/grads so even more new faces to come.

RE: Dane Fischer is CAA Coach of the Year - LeadBolt - 03-07-2020 09:59 AM

Congratulations to Coach Fisher! Looking forward to a successful trip to DC. I have switched up travel arrangements. In past have come by airplane and by car. This year via Amtrak. Here's hoping that the out come changes as well. Have seen losses in quarters, semis and finals. This year hopefully none of the above.

GO TRIBE!

RE: Dane Fischer is CAA Coach of the Year - Marshall Wythe - 03-07-2020 10:18 AM

(03-07-2020 08:49 AM)Zorch Wrote:  I think folks might be going a little overboard here.

Zorch, I'd love to hear which of my or the other comments were inaccurate or "overboard." I don't think anyone (certainly not me) seriously thought we'd have a record this good at the end of the season, even with Nate. If you predicted this success for Coach Fischer at the beginning of the season, please point me to the post and I will tip my hat.

We had more talent around Nate (one year younger admittedly) last season and did a little worse. But those players had been playing together for awhile. The job Coach Fischer did in a) finding players to fill the roster holes at the last minute and b) putting them together in one season was pretty incredible in my opinion and well deserving of Coach of the Year.

I don't think there's anything "overboard" about saying that.

Now, as for reserving judgment about him until next year, fine. I don't think anyone here is saying he is the next Coach K. He may be a one year wonder. But, with the challenges facing him next year, I don't think we can seriously expect the same result. I hope he surprises me again.

RE: Dane Fischer is CAA Coach of the Year - 62Indian - 03-07-2020 11:00 AM

(03-06-2020 02:11 PM)TDenverFan Wrote:  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I thought the comparison of the two coaches [Mihalich and Fisher] at the time of the two conference games played was remarkable. Early in the season, Hofstra was ranked first in the CAA and W&M was ranked near the bottom and Elon was ranked dead last. In the first conference game W&M squeeked out a win over Elon in 3 OTs. W&M was also considered to have played a fairly soft schedule up to that point. If ever a team was way overconfident going into a game Hofstra was entitled to do so re this game. When the Tribe swamped the Pride by 20 plus points in a runaway victory it was prettymuch a shock to everybody. And, post game Coach Malhivic reacted in his normal mode, and blamed the defeat entirely upon his players for being "unprepared".

After the second game, won by Hofstra in a blow-out on the Tribe home court, Coach Fisher and Nathan were both on the record ascribing the Tribe loss to "not being prepared". Admittedly, Coach Fisher was not ranting and raving when he said this. But, give me a break, how is it possible not to be fully prepared for a game like this???? W&M humiliated Hofstra in the first game; "anybody" who follows basketball would expect Hofstra would be out for revenge for the return engagement. It is the job of the Coach, and to lesser extent, the Senior leadership on the team, IS TO PREPARE for important games like this. To admit that you lost the bigest game of the year [so far] because your team wasn't prepared is a pretty damning statement for a coach to make.

RE: Dane Fischer is CAA Coach of the Year - 3xTribe - 03-07-2020 11:03 AM

(03-07-2020 09:01 AM)ColonelEbirt Wrote:  

Your point is well-taken. He did inherit some great players. But he coached them up to perform at a level (individually and as a team) that enabled them to win these awards. It’s a combination of great coaching and great players.

I think that Nate would be the first to say that Dane has had a big role in his continuing development, especially on defense. It's unknowable, of course, but I wonder whether Nate is defensive POY under the previous regime. In any case, the entire team's degree of buy in to Dane's philosophy is remarkable. Given the totality of the circumstances that he walked into, I think his coach of the year award was well deserved.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RE: Dane Fischer is CAA Coach of the Year - Zorch - 03-07-2020 09:03 PM

(03-07-2020 10:18 AM)Marshall Wythe Wrote:  

Zorch, I'd love to hear which of my or the other comments were inaccurate or "overboard." I don't think anyone (certainly not me) seriously thought we'd have a record this good at the end of the season, even with Nate. If you predicted this success for Coach Fischer at the beginning of the season, please point me to the post and I will tip my hat.

A challenge? Okay. First off, though, notice that I said in the original post that he deserved the award (I bolded it this time to make it easier to find). Moreover, before the award was even announced, I was on record as saying that he deserved the award over Schrage or Mihalich (see post below, from 2/28/2020, 10:38, from the "Nate - CAA POW for 4th time" thread).

(02-28-2020 10:38 PM)Zorch Wrote:  It was disappointing that he tabbed Joe Mihalic for Coach of the Year, with Schrage of Elon being his second choice. Obviously, I think Fischer would be the best and obvious choice. He is a first-time coach like Schrage but his team finished considerably better than Schrage's did. Re Mihalic: Joe is an experienced coach whose team won the CAA regular season last year and was preseason tabbed to win it again this year -- so he did what he was expected to do. Meanwhile (as of this writing), Fischer's team (who was expected to finish, what, 10 or 11) is in second place with a chance for a first place tie. So Fischer greatly exceeded the expectations of all the prognosticators (and almost all W&M fans) and, to me, seems like a more deserving choice than Mihalic. (I just deleted a crack against Joe because I didn't want to violate my own dictum about not providing bulletin board material).

Okay, so Fischer deserved the COY. But how/why did he deserve it? Was it because he "coached them up" as ColonelEbirt said? Was it because he improved the "chemistry" of the team, as many have said? I'm sure he did indeed do those things -- but were those the reasons why W&M went 21-10? Or was it because of Nathan Knight? That is what I think - and Fischer was smart/competent enough to not screw it up. Below are two posts from the "2019-2020 MBB Season" thread, from 10/8/19 and 10/9/19 (more than a month before the season even started)(I have bolded the pertinent parts). First, kudos to LeadBolt who also predicted the Tribe would finish higher than projected. In the first post I make it clear what I thought of Nathan Knight. In the second post I commented that since the Tribe was projected so low that they would have to prove it on the court. Besides Knight, I also mentioned how Andy Van Vliet should have been mentioned among the top newcomers (which proved true since he was selected to the CAA Third Team):

(10-08-2019 11:05 AM)Zorch Wrote:  That writeup is BS. First off, I give ZERO respect to anyone who claims to know anything about COLONIAL league basketball. If they knew anything at all then they would at least know that the league calls itself the CAA. Secondly, they give a list of top five newcomers but it doesn't contain Van Vliet. They say that Nathan Knight is the best all around player in the league but are quick to project Grant Riller as player of the year.

Here's my projection: Nathan Knight wins POY in a landslide.

(10-09-2019 01:13 PM)Zorch Wrote:  
(10-08-2019 02:44 PM)LeadBolt Wrote:  I understand why they might project us at the bottom with all of the turnover and turmoil of unexpected regime change. I really think that this team will surpass expectations that outsiders will have handily.

(10-09-2019 07:05 AM)wmmii Wrote:  Our success will be based first on key players remaining healthy and then on the team embracing Dane’s new system and 5 core values. Expectations of ourselves is vastly more important than the perception of others.

I agree with both of these sentiments. I have included the link to the CAA article about the Media Day projections. What surprised me is how high JMU was projected. I assume that it is because they have some returning studs. But they also have Louis Rowe returning and I can't see giving them any love until they prove it and earn it. I'm also surprised at Hofstra being first -- has anyone told them that Wright-Foreman has graduated? Buie is a good defender but can he carry the team offensively? Pemberton has never impressed me as being that good -- certainly not good enough to carry a team to the top ranking. I guess CofC and NE would deserve high rankings and I think that it looks like Delaware should be even better this year.

W&M will have to prove it on the court. Barring injuries, I think the Tribe will finish much higher than projected.

https://caasports.com/news/2019/10/7/hofstra-tabbed-to-capture-2019-20-caa-mens-basketball-title-charlestons-riller-picked-preseason-player-of-the-year.aspx

(03-07-2020 10:18 AM)Marshall Wythe Wrote:  ....He may be a one year wonder. But, with the challenges facing him next year, I don't think we can seriously expect the same result.

That was exactly my point. If he falls to earth next year then does that mean that this year's success was because of Knight (yes!). Is he suddenly any less of a coach or an inspiration next year? No, of course not -- but next year he won't have Nathan Knight (and several other important pieces). Now, on the other hand, if he leads the team to 20 wins next year then I will absolutely be saying he is a great coach. So that is all that was said and that is all that was meant.

Lastly, I want to comment on this post:

(03-07-2020 11:03 AM)3xTribe Wrote:  ... It's unknowable, of course, but I wonder whether Nate is defensive POY under the previous regime.

You are right, it is unknowable. But such a guess would not have been much of a reach --- considering that Nate made the CAA All-Defensive team last year, too!

Dane Fischer is CAA Coach of the Year - 3xTribe - 03-07-2020 09:09 PM

(sneaks off with tail between legs)

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

RE: Dane Fischer is CAA Coach of the Year - Rocco - 03-07-2020 10:01 PM

(03-07-2020 09:36 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Let's just enjoy the award and finish the season strong. No chance we know the starting five for next year right now. We have two new comers and lose four seniors/grads so even more new faces to come.

Some folks get 16 years of rope, some get the introductory press conference. Dane's going to have the Sword of Damocles over his head until he leaves.