CSNbbs
G4 Championship? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: G4 Championship? (/thread-894687.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

G4 Championship? - Crayton - 02-18-2020 11:33 PM

With news of the new 12-team playoff format and the real possibility of 2 “G5” champs earning bids, I’m bumping the thread. Could be a way to snipe the lowest P5 champ or open permanent access to “all 7” champs.

Here is an idea to hold a G5 championship game the first weekend of December within the current rules.

Participating G5 conferences would have to schedule all cross-division games the final weekend of the regular season. The division leaders at that time would be paired, requiring some matchups to be altered on a week's notice; no game locations or dates would be changed.

This matchup between division-leaders would qualify for the 13th game exemption and not count toward either teams' 12 game limit. The following week (when CCG are traditionally held), the 2 best winners could be paired (on campus or at a neutral site) in a G5-Championship, which would qualify as 1 of those teams' 12 regular season games.

With 1 fewer cross-divsion game prior to the CCGs, rematches (such as Cincy-Memphis and App St-Louisiana) would be less common. While I keep using the phrase "G5", we all know the American would not participate; it'd essentially be a G4 ploy to compete with the American for that lone NY6 spot.

December 7, 2019 games:
#16 Memphis (11-1) vs. #21 Cincinnati (10-2)
#19 Boise St (11-1) vs. #20 App St (11-1)

Theoretically, FAU, Miami(OH), and any of the CCG losers could be paired in games on this date as well. The MAC could keep their date at Ford Field and invite another G4 division champ to play in a quasi-bowl game. Or, some deep south venue may bid to match a SB and CUSA team (Louisiana vs. UAB?) in a quasi-bowl of their own.

RE: G5 Championship? - 46566 - 02-19-2020 12:33 AM

If we're having a G5 championship then why not just merge the G5 with the FCS? If not that then just merge all D1 football. Have Max scholarships at the FBS 85. The minimum requirement for D1 football 60 scholarships. Currently every conference but the ivy and pioneer League reach this requirement. Each conference could choose the scholarship requirement it's teams. Conferences could choose have all teams at 60 or 85, but also just require any number between.

The cfp runs as it does now. New year 6 takes the best team of the rest and the 14 other conference champions goes to the other playoffs plus whatever number of at large teams to make it even. Play the playoffs on the weekend and bowl games during the week. With the influx of schools regional bowl games could happen and new bowl games are created. Thoughts?

RE: G5 Championship? - ECUPirated - 02-19-2020 01:20 AM

There is no such thing as the G5!!!

There is DIVISION I FBS FOOTBALL!!!

5 Conferences may never sniff a playoff spot, but all those teams are still DIVISION I FBS !!

PERIOD

RE: G5 Championship? - Cajuns1252 - 02-19-2020 08:23 AM

It’s a good idea, but the answer is simply NO for me:

This would just create a bigger divide in Division 1 football

RE: G5 Championship? - billybobby777 - 02-19-2020 08:26 AM

No.

RE: G5 Championship? - quo vadis - 02-19-2020 08:35 AM

(02-18-2020 11:33 PM)Crayton Wrote:  Here is an idea to hold a G5 championship game the first weekend of December within the current rules.

IMO, a G5 title game makes sense only in the context of that champ being entered in a playoff with P5 teams.

So e.g. we could have the five G5 champs play amongst each other in early to mid- December, with the winner being entered into an 8-team playoff with the top P5 teams.

RE: G5 Championship? - quo vadis - 02-19-2020 08:36 AM

(02-19-2020 01:20 AM)ECUPirated Wrote:  There is no such thing as the G5!!!

There is no "P5" or "G5", but there is an "A5", an "Autonomy 5", and thus a corresponding "Non-Autonomy 5".

P5 and G5 are just the media shorthand for those terms, so in reality, there is a G5 and P5.

07-coffee3

RE: G5 Championship? - ken d - 02-19-2020 09:45 AM

(02-18-2020 11:33 PM)Crayton Wrote:  Here is an idea to hold a G5 championship game the first weekend of December within the current rules.

Participating G5 conferences would have to schedule all cross-division games the final weekend of the regular season. The division leaders at that time would be paired, requiring some matchups to be altered on a week's notice; no game locations or dates would be changed.

This matchup between division-leaders would qualify for the 13th game exemption and not count toward either teams' 12 game limit. The following week (when CCG are traditionally held), the 2 best winners could be paired (on campus or at a neutral site) in a G5-Championship, which would qualify as 1 of those teams' 12 regular season games.

With 1 fewer cross-divsion game prior to the CCGs, rematches (such as Cincy-Memphis and App St-Louisiana) would be less common. While I keep using the phrase "G5", we all know the American would not participate; it'd essentially be a G4 ploy to compete with the American for that lone NY6 spot.

December 7, 2019 games:

Theoretically, FAU, Miami(OH), and any of the CCG losers could be paired in games on this date as well. The MAC could keep their date at Ford Field and invite another G4 division champ to play in a quasi-bowl game. Or, some deep south venue may bid to match a SB and CUSA team (Louisiana vs. UAB?) in a quasi-bowl of their own.

If those four conferences want to participate in a playoff of their own, then IMO it should be instead of participating in the CFP, not as an easy means to entry into the CFP. But most of the schools in these conferences opted out of playing in a championship tournament when they left the FCS, preferring instead the opportunity to play in an exhibition bowl game.

FBS is already too bloated. Why do something to encourage making it even more so?

RE: G5 Championship? - quo vadis - 02-19-2020 09:53 AM

(02-19-2020 09:45 AM)ken d Wrote:  

December 7, 2019 games:

If those four conferences want to participate in a playoff of their own, then IMO it should be instead of participating in the CFP, not as an easy means to entry into the CFP. But most of the schools in these conferences opted out of playing in a championship tournament when they left the FCS, preferring instead the opportunity to play in an exhibition bowl game.

FBS is already too bloated. Why do something to encourage making it even more so?

I can't see a round-robin of G5 champs winner meriting entry into the CFP, that's just not enough of an achievement to take a top 4 spot.

But as an entry into an expanded 8-team playoff? Much more justifiable.

RE: G5 Championship? - Yosef Himself - 02-19-2020 09:55 AM

[Image: Xe4vITO.gif]

RE: G5 Championship? - utpotts - 02-19-2020 10:18 AM

Is this a DavidSt burner account??? We all know he has a couple of them.......

RE: G5 Championship? - ECUPirated - 02-19-2020 10:46 AM

(02-19-2020 08:36 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

There is no "P5" or "G5", but there is an "A5", an "Autonomy 5", and thus a corresponding "Non-Autonomy 5".

P5 and G5 are just the media shorthand for those terms, so in reality, there is a G5 and P5.

07-coffee3

I have never and will never agree with you .

It is a made up term by ESPiN . If you want to suck the proverbial rotten egg then feel free to do so as a fake AAC fan, but I will never accept the term G5 as it relates to teams in the AAC / MWC / SB / MAC / CUSA . Period !!

RE: G5 Championship? - C2__ - 02-19-2020 10:52 AM

Might as well create a new subdivision: FMBS (Football Minor Bowl Subdivision).

RE: G5 Championship? - MidknightWhiskey - 02-19-2020 02:25 PM

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: G5 Championship? - goodknightfl - 02-19-2020 03:27 PM

Absolute no to G5 championship, now if you want a G4 champ game great. Besides that G4 champs in playoff is cleaner anyways.

RE: G5 Championship? - Gamecock - 02-19-2020 03:48 PM

Why would the G5 want this?

Unless TV Networks are just going to offer up like $10 million per conference (they wont) there isn't much incentive for the G5 to go along

RE: G5 Championship? - YNot - 02-19-2020 05:19 PM

5 Conferences may never sniff a playoff spot, but all those teams are still DIVISION I FBS !!

PERIOD

It's not just perception.

The "Group of Five" is literally a defined *contractual term* in the CFP contract. The highest ranking champion among the five champions of those five "Group of Five" conferences gets then NY6 bid to the Fiesta, Peach or Cotton Bowl. No other Division I schools are involved in this "Group of Five" bowl selection process.

The "Group of Five" is literally defined as the AAC, CUSA, MAC, MWC and Sun Belt conferences. It does not include any school from the SEC, the Big Ten, the ACC, the Big 12, or the PAC 12 and does not include Notre Dame, BYU, Army, NMSU, UMass, UConn or Liberty and involves no schools from the FCS ranks.

G5 is shorthand for "Group of Five."

The five "Autonomy" conference literally have their own voting structure within the formal NCAA organization and significant rights not available to any other Division I schools. The Autonomy conferences are very literally the SEC, the Big Ten, THe PAC 12, the Big 12, the ACC and Notre Dame. The G5 can follow the rules and processes implemented by the Autonomy conferences, but they do not have the same voting rights and do not have an equal seat at the Autonomy governing table.

P5 is the shorthand for the "Autonomy" conferences, including Notre Dame.

So, yes, there literally are G5 and P5 conferences, legally and structurally. It's not just perception.

And, not coincidentally, it is only the P5 conference that each have a *signed contract* with one of the NY6 bowl games - even Notre Dame. And, it's no coincidence that their media payouts are multiple times larger than any other non-P5 school or conference.

RE: G5 Championship? - arkstfan - 02-19-2020 05:19 PM

Tell ya what.

Let's not have a G5 championship.

I'll offer you an alternative.

WELCOME TO THE NY7

Stick it on ESPN2 or FS1 if you have to but pit two G5's in a bowl on New Year's Day. Ideally you take the two highest rated unselected champs. This year would have been #19 Boise State vs. #20 Appalachian State. But if you only have two available that are ranked and one isn't a champ, pit them as long they aren't rematching which would have been the case in 2018 when Fresno and Boise were the only remaining ranked G5's. In 2018 you would have had to reach down for an unranked champion, most likely Appalachian State. But let's say last year Cincinnati as AAC runner-up had been higher ranked than one or both of App and Boise State, we would take the higher ranked Bearcats to face the highest ranked non-champ, but in case would an unranked runner-up bump a champion.

RE: G5 Championship? - Bronco'14 - 02-19-2020 05:23 PM

There's already a G5 champion & they go to a BCS Bowl.
I hope someday they'll be allowed into a National Title Playoff.

Next thread.

RE: G5 Championship? - YNot - 02-19-2020 05:31 PM

(02-19-2020 05:19 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  Tell ya what.

Let's not have a G5 championship.

I'll offer you an alternative.

WELCOME TO THE NY7

Stick it on ESPN2 or FS1 if you have to but pit two G5's in a bowl on New Year's Day. Ideally you take the two highest rated unselected champs. This year would have been #19 Boise State vs. #20 Appalachian State. But if you only have two available that are ranked and one isn't a champ, pit them as long they aren't rematching which would have been the case in 2018 when Fresno and Boise were the only remaining ranked G5's. In 2018 you would have had to reach down for an unranked champion, most likely Appalachian State. But let's say last year Cincinnati as AAC runner-up had been higher ranked than one or both of App and Boise State, we would take the higher ranked Bearcats to face the highest ranked non-champ, but in case would an unranked runner-up bump a champion.

The reality is that #19 Boise State would PREFER to play unranked and 7-5 Washington in the Las Vegas Bowl.

Cincinnati would PREFER to play Boston College. Louisiana Tech would PREFER to play Miami. EMU would rather play Pitt. Temple would rather play North Carolina. Navy would rather play Kansas State Air Force would rather play Washington State.