CSNbbs
[Serious] Former Penn State player allegedly sexually hazed by team, was ignored... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: [Serious] Former Penn State player allegedly sexually hazed by team, was ignored... (/thread-892454.html)

Pages: 1 2

[Serious] Former Penn State player allegedly sexually hazed by team, was ignored... - TampaTom - 01-14-2020 04:53 PM

...by head football coach James Franklin.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/psu/2020/01/14/penn-state-football-hazing-isaiah-humphries-james-franklin/stories/202001140110?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_PittsburghPG

Quote:"The complaint includes graphic details of perpetrators exposing their genitalia on and near the faces and bodies of victims. Among other things, perpetrators are alleged to have wrestled victims to the ground and made humping actions while on top of them, stolen victims clothes and placed their genitalia on victims while in the team showers.

Additionally, Humphries claims the perpetrators made references to former football coach Jerry Sandusky, who was convicted of child molestation. These alleged actions took place at the football facilities within the Lasch Building in University Park, a dormitory and other locations in Centre County."

RE: [Serious] Former Penn State player allegedly sexually hazed by team, was ignored... - Nittany_Bearcat - 01-14-2020 05:02 PM

Also from the article (yes, I'm a PSU grad but I feel this is also worthy of being quoted. Yes, I also know this doesn't eliminate the possibility of a cover-up, because it has happened before, of course):

Quote:Penn State police investigated related allegations and forwarded the results of that investigation to the Office of the Centre County District Attorney (DA). The DA reviewed the case and decided that no charges would be pursued.

RE: [Serious] Former Penn State player allegedly sexually hazed by team, was ignored... - TampaTom - 01-14-2020 05:07 PM

(01-14-2020 05:02 PM)Nittany_Bearcat Wrote:  Also from the article (yes, I'm a PSU grad but I feel this is also worthy of being quoted. Yes, I also know this doesn't eliminate the possibility of a cover-up, because it has happened before, of course):

Quote:Penn State police investigated related allegations and forwarded the results of that investigation to the Office of the Centre County District Attorney (DA). The DA reviewed the case and decided that no charges would be pursued.

And I absolutely agree that due process and a thorough examination of facts should be carried out.

I was very incensed by the circumstances surrounding Penn State/Paterno/Sandusky in the past and called for the biggest hammer to drop, like many others did.

I do feel this warrants something of an example to be made. We have too many institutions that feel completely okay with ignoring this crap for the sake of advancing some misguided mission for power, or money motivation.

Let the case unfold and we will see the facts. But something needs to happen, if any of this is true. Misconduct of this sort CANNOT be tolerated anywhere. This is especially true when the safety and the sensibilities of students and parents come into play. I would feel unsafe going to school there (outside looking in).

RE: [Serious] Former Penn State player allegedly sexually hazed by team, was ignored... - bullet - 01-14-2020 06:26 PM

Unlike Sandusky, this, if true, involves current employees and students, not a former employee and non-students. And so it is within the NCAA's purview.

Given the Sandusky history, I would support the death penalty if these allegations are true.

RE: [Serious] Former Penn State player allegedly sexually hazed by team, was ignored... - JRsec - 01-14-2020 06:34 PM

(01-14-2020 06:26 PM)bullet Wrote:  Unlike Sandusky, this, if true, involves current employees and students, not a former employee and non-students. And so it is within the NCAA's purview.

Given the Sandusky history, I would support the death penalty if these allegations are true.
Given Franklin's history at Vanderbilt where the rape of a coed was allegedly covered up and instructions on how to cover it up were said to have come from an assistant coach, this type of behavior may fit a pattern for Franklin. Whoever does the work investigating needs to touch base with Vanderbilt.

This is precisely why I found the hiring of Franklin unusually problematic for Penn State considering that they were supposedly turning the corner on the Paterno / Sandusky era.

RE: [Serious] Former Penn State player allegedly sexually hazed by team, was ignored... - bullet - 01-14-2020 06:36 PM

(01-14-2020 06:34 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(01-14-2020 06:26 PM)bullet Wrote:  Unlike Sandusky, this, if true, involves current employees and students, not a former employee and non-students. And so it is within the NCAA's purview.

Given Franklin's history at Vanderbilt where the rape of a coed was allegedly covered up and instructions on how to cover it up were said to have come from an assistant coach, this type of behavior may fit a pattern for Franklin. Whoever does the work investigating needs to touch base with Vanderbilt.

This is precisely why I found the hiring of Franklin unusually problematic for Penn State considering that they were supposedly turning the corner on the Paterno / Sandusky era.

And Franklin went after a UGA player following a game with Vanderbilt, ending up grappling with a UGA assistant, nearly getting into a fight. I also thought Franklin was a weird choice.

RE: [Serious] Former Penn State player allegedly sexually hazed by team, was ignored... - Garrettabc - 01-14-2020 11:06 PM

I was so relieved when FSU hired Mike Norvell. James Franklin’s name was in the mix. Thought he had a slimey character.

RE: [Serious] Former Penn State player allegedly sexually hazed by team, was ignored... - Hokie Mark - 01-14-2020 11:14 PM

They'd almost be leaving no other options (if true).

RE: [Serious] Former Penn State player allegedly sexually hazed by team, was ignored... - westwolf - 01-16-2020 10:52 AM

(01-14-2020 11:14 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

State College, PA used to be an idyllic rural town. Now it's become the den of iniquity.

RE: [Serious] Former Penn State player allegedly sexually hazed by team, was ignored... - CougarRed - 01-16-2020 01:51 PM

(01-14-2020 05:02 PM)Nittany_Bearcat Wrote:  Also from the article (yes, I'm a PSU grad but I feel this is also worthy of being quoted. Yes, I also know this doesn't eliminate the possibility of a cover-up, because it has happened before, of course):

Yes. There was an investigation:

"Numerous team members, and others associated with the football program, were interviewed and overwhelmingly they disclaimed, or flat out denied the allegations, with most saying it was just locker-room horseplay, or teammates joking around, and they felt that the original complaint came from a player looking for a quick transfer to another school."

So, it happened. But it was just a joke. Just horseplay. Except to the victim.

RE: [Serious] Former Penn State player allegedly sexually hazed by team, was ignored... - Love and Honor - 01-16-2020 06:23 PM

If true, throw Penn State football in jail and throw away the key.

RE: [Serious] Former Penn State player allegedly sexually hazed by team, was ignored... - georgia_tech_swagger - 01-16-2020 10:31 PM

James Franklin is the Bobby Petrino of the Mid-Atlantic.

RE: [Serious] Former Penn State player allegedly sexually hazed by team, was ignored... - The Cutter of Bish - 01-17-2020 06:33 PM

(01-16-2020 10:52 AM)westwolf Wrote:  
(01-14-2020 11:14 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

State College, PA used to be an idyllic rural town. Now it's become the den of iniquity.

It’s one of those big small towns. The locals all know each other and what’s up. Nothing else up there but the school.

But, really, all of higher ed is just high school without the moral compass.

RE: [Serious] Former Penn State player allegedly sexually hazed by team, was ignored... - Mav - 01-18-2020 12:16 PM

Just another day in Rhythmic Slappy Valley. 07-coffee3
Is anyone surprised that the guy that won't interview assistants unless their wives are hot enough for him would do something like this? Franklin's a blight on the sport.

RE: [Serious] Former Penn State player allegedly sexually hazed by team, was ignored... - Nittany_Bearcat - 01-18-2020 01:00 PM

(01-16-2020 01:51 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  Yes. There was an investigation:

"Numerous team members, and others associated with the football program, were interviewed and overwhelmingly they disclaimed, or flat out denied the allegations, with most saying it was just locker-room horseplay, or teammates joking around, and they felt that the original complaint came from a player looking for a quick transfer to another school."

No offense - but I don't understand what point you're trying to make.

The case was criminally investigated. The DA decided not to charge.

If you - based on some evidence that you possess - think the DA should have done otherwise, tell us why. Tell us explicitly how and why the DA screwed up.

RE: [Serious] Former Penn State player allegedly sexually hazed by team, was ignored... - JRsec - 01-18-2020 01:21 PM

(01-18-2020 01:00 PM)Nittany_Bearcat Wrote:  

If you - based on some evidence that you possess - think the DA should have done otherwise, tell us why. Tell us explicitly how and why the DA screwed up.

The campus police, DA, and State Attorney didn't exactly jump on the Sandusky case either. So if you are trying to dismiss this based on the initial investigations of the report then the weight of history there, and in other college towns where the university is the main employer is on your gullibility, and not his lack of evidence.

I have a feeling that the truth in this one is going to slowly be extracted. And for the record this isn't James Franklin's first crap show either.

RE: [Serious] Former Penn State player allegedly sexually hazed by team, was ignored... - bullet - 01-18-2020 04:02 PM

(01-18-2020 01:21 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

The campus police, DA, and State Attorney didn't exactly jump on the Sandusky case either. So if you are trying to dismiss this based on the initial investigations of the report then the weight of history there, and in other college towns where the university is the main employer is on your gullibility, and not his lack of evidence.

I have a feeling that the truth in this one is going to slowly be extracted. And for the record this isn't James Franklin's first crap show either.

Look at South Bend or Tallahassee or Missoula for examples of college town police response.

RE: [Serious] Former Penn State player allegedly sexually hazed by team, was ignored... - Mav - 01-18-2020 04:42 PM

(01-18-2020 04:02 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Look at South Bend or Tallahassee or Missoula for examples of college town police response.
https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2018/09/28/former-prosecutor-willie-meggs-joining-state-ethics-commission/1453381002/
If you're not laughing you're crying.

RE: [Serious] Former Penn State player allegedly sexually hazed by team, was ignored... - JRsec - 01-18-2020 04:45 PM

(01-18-2020 04:42 PM)Mav Wrote:  

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2018/09/28/former-prosecutor-willie-meggs-joining-state-ethics-commission/1453381002/

Right, I knew which sources to cite, but that always leads discussion away from the OP. The list at Tallahassee is long and varied and hit a low point with Winston. the rape suicide back in 70's at N.D. was another disturbing one. But there are many. This is same song second verse at Happy Valley, and ditto for the coach.

RE: [Serious] Former Penn State player allegedly sexually hazed by team, was ignored... - bullet - 01-18-2020 05:42 PM

(01-18-2020 04:45 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(01-18-2020 04:42 PM)Mav Wrote:  
(01-18-2020 01:00 PM)Nittany_Bearcat Wrote:  No offense - but I don't understand what point you're trying to make.

Right, I knew which sources to cite, but that always leads discussion away from the OP. The list at Tallahassee is long and varied and hit a low point with Winston. the rape suicide back in 70's at N.D. was another disturbing one. But there are many. This is same song second verse at Happy Valley, and ditto for the coach.

South Bend and Missoula (and Tallahassee of course) had recent examples.