CSNbbs
2020 Depth Chart - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: 2020 Depth Chart (/thread-892432.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: 2020 Depth Chart - HyperDuke - 08-05-2020 07:25 PM

DeAngelo Amos enters the transfer portal. Sucks.

https://twitter.com/almostfamos_/status/1291166903554244609?s=21

RE: 2020 Depth Chart - JMURocks - 08-05-2020 07:37 PM

(08-05-2020 07:25 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  DeAngelo Amos enters the transfer portal. Sucks.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like he's nervous a FCS season won't happen this year. I'm starting to agree with DukeThaDawg that we need to play if its reasonably possible ... even if playoffs cancel. Line up FBS games in that case, nothing to lose, a lot to gain.

RE: 2020 Depth Chart - DukeThaDawg - 08-05-2020 07:46 PM

(08-05-2020 07:25 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  DeAngelo Amos enters the transfer portal. Sucks.

And there's the answer on the 2020 football season. I would think that your senior leader got word to get ahead of this because there won't be a season.

So much for Bourne's foot dragging and stringing the fans along about a season. He NEVER intended to put together a season. He ONLY intended to string us all along so he could make it look like he was trying to play a season. Bourne expected the NCAA to bail him out all along by cancelling the playoffs. He never expected the NCAA to flip the script and put it on the schools and conferences to decide.

Bringing all these kids back in early July----when JMU already suspected the CAA was going to cancel the season----housing, feeding, testing, training, practicing---this was alot of time, money and effort. JMU is supposed to suit up on Friday to start fall camp---are they gonna keep up this charade now that they've lost a senior leader??

This is the first JMU domino to fall. I'd expect more seniors to hit the portal. I'd expect coaches to look for greener pastures. I'd expect commits to open up recruitment.

You can't got around telling coaches, players, and recruits you're as good as any G5 then bail on a season when the G5 plays. Can't be expected to run that same game on donors and fans either. If JMU does not play this season---and there is a season---the brand is irreparably harmed

RE: 2020 Depth Chart - JMURocks - 08-05-2020 07:50 PM

(08-05-2020 07:46 PM)DukeThaDawg Wrote:  

And there's the answer on the 2020 football season. I would think that your senior leader got word to get ahead of this because there won't be a season.

So much for Bourne's foot dragging and stringing the fans along about a season. He NEVER intended to put together a season. He ONLY intended to string us all along so he could make it look like he was trying to play a season. Bourne expected the NCAA to bail him out all along by cancelling the playoffs. He never expected the NCAA to flip the script and put it on the schools and conferences to decide.

Bringing all these kids back in early July----when JMU already suspected the CAA was going to cancel the season----housing, feeding, testing, training, practicing---this was alot of time, money and effort. JMU is supposed to suit up on Friday to start fall camp---are they gonna keep up this charade now that they've lost a senior leader??

This is the first JMU domino to fall. I'd expect more seniors to hit the portal. I'd expect coaches to look for greener pastures. I'd expect commits to open up recruitment.

You can't got around telling coaches, players, and recruits you're as good as any G5 then bail on a season when the G5 plays. Can't be expected to run that same game on donors and fans either. If JMU does not play this season---and there is a season---the brand is irreparably harmed

I'm not this pessimistic on outcomes, but do think it would be good for us to play if we can. For now, I'm taking Bourne and Cig at their word that they want to move forward if possible and play games.

RE: 2020 Depth Chart - Duke Dawg - 08-05-2020 07:51 PM

(08-05-2020 07:37 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  

Reading between the lines, it sounds like he's nervous a FCS season won't happen this year. I'm starting to agree with DukeThaDawg that we need to play if its reasonably possible ... even if playoffs cancjel. Line up FBS games in that case, nothing to lose, a lot to gain.

Sadly, I have a feeling he won’t be the only one.

If you read the Twitter leaves, it seems like more could be considering it.

At same time, it could just be Amos making sure he keeps options open. If FCS goes forward, he could come back.

RE: 2020 Depth Chart - DukeThaDawg - 08-05-2020 08:12 PM

(08-05-2020 07:50 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  

I'm not this pessimistic on outcomes, but do think it would be good for us to play if we can. For now, I'm taking Bourne and Cig at their word that they want to move forward if possible and play games.

Bourne thought he had this all figured out when he said, JMU will play a season if there are playoffs. He thought the NCAA would make the decision for him. He thought he could play the hero by acting like he was putting together a season, when all along he was betting HEAVY that the NCAA would pull the plug on the post season----Too bad for him that the NCAA stuck it back in the face of the FCS and put the decision on them.

I completely, totally, absolutely 100% believe Cignetti wants a 2020 season. I believe Cignetti 100% wants an FBS heavy schedule---But I'm sure he has been silenced by the athletic department.

Amos is just the first one to realize he's been sold a bill of goods. JMU built this wonderful FCS big bad bully on the block model. They were content to run that model to infinity. JMU spent like a G5 program but with none of the struggles G5 programs faced, because JMU was playing their well cultivated role a FCS bully boy. And truth be told, most donors, fans, coaches, and players accepted that model to some degree. As the FCS bully JMU had more exposure than most G5 programs, which helped with enrollment, fan interest, donations, and recruiting. Everyone knew that JMU had outgrown the FCS but they went along with the model because it was successful.

Then covid-19 hit, and the entire sustainability of the poor sisters of the FCS crumbled in an instant. JMU's big bully FCS model is in serious jeopardy---and the ONLY way to save it is to play a season, because if not---we are nothing but an FCS program, and JMU will never be able to tell coaches, recruits, fans, donors, prospective students that we are everything a G5 program is, and better, and it's only a matter of time before we move up. Because the chance to "move up" is now--there are plenty of holes in many teams schedules.

Maybe this forces Bourne into action, and he sees that he has to act to save his program before more players jump the sinking ship. But probably not---Bourne is probably looking at this as a perfect excuse to kill the football program to some degree, and concentrate more resources on Olympic sports.

RE: 2020 Depth Chart - JMURocks - 08-05-2020 08:18 PM

(08-05-2020 08:12 PM)DukeThaDawg Wrote:  But probably not---Bourne is probably looking at this as a perfect excuse to kill the football program to some degree, and concentrate more resources on Olympic sports.

I think you make some good points, but this is a very jaded view of our leaders. While I don't always agree with their decisions (and missed opportunities) - its a bit much to say Bourne is looking to "kill the football program." They do sometimes act conservatively (in a negative way), but I'm hopeful we will all look back in a year and say they got things right this time.

RE: 2020 Depth Chart - DiceRogerLion - 08-05-2020 08:19 PM

Seniors - I understand the difficult position they are in at the moment. FBS schools 'appear' to be all steam ahead but I would bet my life savings that they will not complete this season. I will hate to see JMU seniors transfer only to have their destination school cancel.

Coaches - What greener pastures are available? There are only so many Division I coaching jobs available and our coaches have HIGHLY sought after jobs. There are no better opportunities out there right now for our coaches whether we play this Fall or not.

Commits - Obviously HS Seniors aren't the most wise decision makers but these young men are making long term commitments. Our decision to play/not play this year should not impact their decision to join the program.

RE: 2020 Depth Chart - DukeThaDawg - 08-05-2020 08:28 PM

(08-05-2020 08:18 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  
(08-05-2020 08:12 PM)DukeThaDawg Wrote:  But probably not---Bourne is probably looking at this as a perfect excuse to kill the football program to some degree, and concentrate more resources on Olympic sports.

I think you make some good points, but this is a very jaded view of our leaders. While I don't always agree with their decisions (and missed opportunities) - its a bit much to say Bourne is looking to "kill the football program." They do sometimes act conservatively (in a negative way), but I'm hopeful we will all look back in a year and say they got things right this time.

I didn't say kill the program---I said, "kill the football program to some degree, and concentrate more resources on Olympic sports."

Which means that the FCS big bully boy model has become too big of a monster to continue to sustain. You can't keep spending like a G5, and promising a G5 move, and selling players, coaches, fans, and donors on the fact that you're everything a G5 is, except in name. Then not play a season when the G5 is playing a season. All those claims go out the window if you bail on a season.

So I think Bourne looks at this as a perfect excuse to downshift the football program. Hey, if you're really gonna be FCS for life then he probably figures he can redirect resources to other parts of the athletic department.

And it's ALWAYS a good idea to have a jaded view of any of "our Leaders" now matter the stage. Because "Our Leaders" are usually their to just play us all like fools

RE: 2020 Depth Chart - DukeThaDawg - 08-05-2020 08:44 PM

(08-05-2020 08:19 PM)DiceRogerLion Wrote:  

Seniors - I understand the difficult position they are in at the moment. FBS schools 'appear' to be all steam ahead but I would bet my life savings that they will not complete this season. I will hate to see JMU seniors transfer only to have their destination school cancel.

Coaches - What greener pastures are available? There are only so many Division I coaching jobs available and our coaches have HIGHLY sought after jobs. There are no better opportunities out there right now for our coaches whether we play this Fall or not.

Commits - Obviously HS Seniors aren't the most wise decision makers but these young men are making long term commitments. Our decision to play/not play this year should not impact their decision to join the program.

Seniors---well, they can't take that bet that they will not complete this season!!! Maybe you can, but they can't!! They have to bet on their future, and there is NO future if they don't play. Amos has legit NFL prospects. There are 3 or 4 others with legit NFL prospects---Liam Fornadel, Mike Greene, Wayne Davis, Percy---they can't wait while JMU plays with their future. Players play!!

Coaches---are you kidding me. Coaches will move at a drop of the hat if a job pays $10 dollars more. It's the most transient profession in the world. And coaches coach!! they don't want to sit a year out of coaching. No better opportunities---what? It's better coaching for a school that isn't playing??

Committs--You said, "Our decision to play/not play this year should not impact their decision to join the program"---are you serious?? The greatest selling point JMU has to these recruits is the football brand. These football players are not like students-only. The football recruits care about the brand first and foremost. Commits wants stability and a a program with a solid future. Do you ever look at our commit list?? the last 2 years JMU has been able to sell multiple kids on turning down FBS/G5 programs because of our brand and model. Go ask how many of those 2020 kids wish they took that FBS/G5 offer now. A few of our 2020's turned down ODU for JMU---well at least ODU is playing.
Go look at our 2021 board---we got 3* on that board. the first thing an FBS program can say to one of our commits is---we played in 2020---JMU didn't. So all that talk about the JMU brand won't mean a thing to these recruits anymore because we'll be like the rest of the FCS who doesn't play

RE: 2020 Depth Chart - DukeDogNation - 08-05-2020 08:44 PM

A decision either way will have consequences. Whatever side of this you identify with, continuing with a season could open JMU up to accusations of not protecting players (whether those accusations be true or not) or counter-recruiting pitches that we decided to go it with out being safe. If we cancel a season you open yourself up to transfers like other schools are having.

There are many other intended and unintended consequences outside of these listed ones no matter which one you think is right.

RE: 2020 Depth Chart - Anders - 08-05-2020 08:48 PM

Once again, I won't get my hopes up but if you read into Twitter it does seem like he wants to stay at JMU, if possible.
He liked the above tweet and some other referencing how it would be great if he stayed.

Ultimately, I completely understand his decision and having his options open depending on how things play out. He is an NFL prospect but needs senior year film to show scouts.

Madia mentioned this stat in the article he just put out: "He’s second all-time in JMU history with 1,259 punt return yards and has five punt-return touchdowns." I wonder how far he is from #1 all-time.

RE: 2020 Depth Chart - NJDuke97 - 08-05-2020 08:49 PM

(08-05-2020 08:12 PM)DukeThaDawg Wrote:  

Bourne thought he had this all figured out when he said, JMU will play a season if there are playoffs. He thought the NCAA would make the decision for him. He thought he could play the hero by acting like he was putting together a season, when all along he was betting HEAVY that the NCAA would pull the plug on the post season----Too bad for him that the NCAA stuck it back in the face of the FCS and put the decision on them.

I completely, totally, absolutely 100% believe Cignetti wants a 2020 season. I believe Cignetti 100% wants an FBS heavy schedule---But I'm sure he has been silenced by the athletic department.

Amos is just the first one to realize he's been sold a bill of goods. JMU built this wonderful FCS big bad bully on the block model. They were content to run that model to infinity. JMU spent like a G5 program but with none of the struggles G5 programs faced, because JMU was playing their well cultivated role a FCS bully boy. And truth be told, most donors, fans, coaches, and players accepted that model to some degree. As the FCS bully JMU had more exposure than most G5 programs, which helped with enrollment, fan interest, donations, and recruiting. Everyone knew that JMU had outgrown the FCS but they went along with the model because it was successful.

Then covid-19 hit, and the entire sustainability of the poor sisters of the FCS crumbled in an instant. JMU's big bully FCS model is in serious jeopardy---and the ONLY way to save it is to play a season, because if not---we are nothing but an FCS program, and JMU will never be able to tell coaches, recruits, fans, donors, prospective students that we are everything a G5 program is, and better, and it's only a matter of time before we move up. Because the chance to "move up" is now--there are plenty of holes in many teams schedules.

Maybe this forces Bourne into action, and he sees that he has to act to save his program before more players jump the sinking ship. But probably not---Bourne is probably looking at this as a perfect excuse to kill the football program to some degree, and concentrate more resources on Olympic sports.

You’re brutal. I don’t think you’re a JMU Fan/ you’re too angry and pessimistic to be a Duke.

RE: 2020 Depth Chart - DukeThaDawg - 08-05-2020 08:53 PM

(08-05-2020 08:44 PM)DukeDogNation Wrote:  A decision either way will have consequences. Whatever side of this you identify with, continuing with a season could open JMU up to accusations of not protecting players (whether those accusations be true or not) or counter-recruiting pitches that we decided to go it with out being safe. If we cancel a season you open yourself up to transfers like other schools are having.

There are many other intended and unintended consequences outside of these listed ones no matter which one you think is right.

I think the testing numbers that Madia has been reporting are proof that JMU is going it safe. And I can't for the life of me believe that JMU has gone this far with the testing, and they would seriously even consider not playing. They can meet the testing standards and protocols of every conference.
We out recruit ODU, and many other MAC, Sun Belt and CUSA schools. And we do it by selling our pseudo FBS/G5 brand to recruits. And that sell job works to perfection!! That very important recruiting angle is over and done if we cancel the season.

RE: 2020 Depth Chart - DukeDogNation - 08-05-2020 09:00 PM

(08-05-2020 08:53 PM)DukeThaDawg Wrote:  
(08-05-2020 08:44 PM)DukeDogNation Wrote:  A decision either way will have consequences. Whatever side of this you identify with, continuing with a season could open JMU up to accusations of not protecting players (whether those accusations be true or not) or counter-recruiting pitches that we decided to go it with out being safe. If we cancel a season you open yourself up to transfers like other schools are having.

I think the testing numbers that Madia has been reporting are proof that JMU is going it safe. And I can't for the life of me believe that JMU has gone this far with the testing, and they would seriously even consider not playing. They can meet the testing standards and protocols of every conference.
We out recruit ODU, and many other MAC, Sun Belt and CUSA schools. And we do it by selling our pseudo FBS/G5 brand to recruits. And that sell job works to perfection!! That very important recruiting angle is over and done if we cancel the season.

Again, can you maintain the numbers once you have much less control over what the players do? We've seen so far that "bubbled" sports seem to be working, but "non-bubbled sports" seem not to be working.

There are other scenarios where JMU football gets shut down through no fault of their own. The governor shuts down college sports, local health officials shut down college sports, an eventual shutdown due to other schools'/regions' outbreaks, severe illnesses or deaths of college athletes due to COVID-19, etc. etc.

I'm not saying that JMU is doing it wrong, I'm just saying that sometimes reality pops the JMU bubble.

RE: 2020 Depth Chart - DukeThaDawg - 08-05-2020 09:05 PM

(08-05-2020 08:49 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  
(08-05-2020 08:12 PM)DukeThaDawg Wrote:  

You’re brutal. I don’t think you’re a JMU Fan/ you’re too angry and pessimistic to be a Duke.

I am a JMU fan---and I got more invested in this than you'll ever know!!! I want JMU to play a season to protect the brand they've spent so much time, energy and money building. Playing a season is all about protecting the brand.

And as I've said before---I am content with the FCS bully boy model they've built. Being the premier brand of the FCS (next to NDSU) has it's many benefits. It helps with all those things like fan support, donation, recruiting, enrollment, exposure, profile. It's probably a much better model than being some G5 also ran---like ODU, Charlotte, Coastal, the GSU's, the F*U's, etc, etc, etc,---But if you don't play in 2020 this brand takes a hit. Those pseudo G5 selling points are gone.

I think Bourne in some ways might be scared that if JMU plays an FBS heavy schedule, and has success then the momentum for a move up might be so strong from the fan base, and some donors, that he might not be able to stop it. I don't think JMU really wants t be in the mediocre G5 pack. So Bourne's strategy is to just cancel the season, and stay FCS.

But If JMU did have success with an FBS heavy schedule, I would not care if they resumed their FCS bully status in 2021. The brand works---but for it to continue to work, they must play this year.

Amos transferring should be a huge wake-up call that we must play. We just lost our best defender, one of the nation's top PR, and a team leader. That is devastating

RE: 2020 Depth Chart - DiceRogerLion - 08-05-2020 09:06 PM

(08-05-2020 08:44 PM)DukeThaDawg Wrote:  

Seniors---well, they can't take that bet that they will not complete this season!!! Maybe you can, but they can't!! They have to bet on their future, and there is NO future if they don't play. Amos has legit NFL prospects. There are 3 or 4 others with legit NFL prospects---Liam Fornadel, Mike Greene, Wayne Davis, Percy---they can't wait while JMU plays with their future. Players play!!

Coaches---are you kidding me. Coaches will move at a drop of the hat if a job pays $10 dollars more. It's the most transient profession in the world. And coaches coach!! they don't want to sit a year out of coaching. No better opportunities---what? It's better coaching for a school that isn't playing??

Committs--You said, "Our decision to play/not play this year should not impact their decision to join the program"---are you serious?? The greatest selling point JMU has to these recruits is the football brand. These football players are not like students-only. The football recruits care about the brand first and foremost. Commits wants stability and a a program with a solid future. Do you ever look at our commit list?? the last 2 years JMU has been able to sell multiple kids on turning down FBS/G5 programs because of our brand and model. Go ask how many of those 2020 kids wish they took that FBS/G5 offer now. A few of our 2020's turned down ODU for JMU---well at least ODU is playing.
Go look at our 2021 board---we got 3* on that board. the first thing an FBS program can say to one of our commits is---we played in 2020---JMU didn't. So all that talk about the JMU brand won't mean a thing to these recruits anymore because we'll be like the rest of the FCS who doesn't play

Dude... there has to be an open job for a coach to leave. You think FBS teams that are starting Camp this week have unfilled positions on their staffs?

Zero coaches will leave as a result of us not playing this Fall. ZERO.

As for all these FBS schools that are "playing" this Fall... Let's see where things stand in October.

RE: 2020 Depth Chart - DukeThaDawg - 08-05-2020 09:13 PM

(08-05-2020 09:00 PM)DukeDogNation Wrote:  
(08-05-2020 08:53 PM)DukeThaDawg Wrote:  

Again, can you maintain the numbers once you have much less control over what the players do? We've seen so far that "bubbled" sports seem to be working, but "non-bubbled sports" seem not to be working.

There are other scenarios where JMU football gets shut down through no fault of their own. The governor shuts down college sports, local health officials shut down college sports, an eventual shutdown due to other schools'/regions' outbreaks, severe illnesses or deaths of college athletes due to COVID-19, etc. etc.

I'm not saying that JMU is doing it wrong, I'm just saying that sometimes reality pops the JMU bubble.

Can anybody maintain the numbers once the bubble opens?? We won't know until the bubble opens. But we've spent so much time, money and effort on the testing---and we've had much success---why wouldn't we move forward? Other programs=---bigger P5 programs---haven't even been able to maintain bubble success---but we have.

The bold ^^^ are scenario's that could shutdown any season for any team. But JMU has gone this far in bringing the kids back to campus--they have been training for a month, practicing with walk through's for 2 weeks, getting ready to start fall camp on Friday---to me, that's an indication that you need to keep moving forward.

RE: 2020 Depth Chart - DukeThaDawg - 08-05-2020 09:18 PM

(08-05-2020 09:06 PM)DiceRogerLion Wrote:  
(08-05-2020 08:44 PM)DukeThaDawg Wrote:  
(08-05-2020 07:46 PM)DukeThaDawg Wrote:  And there's the answer on the 2020 football season. I would think that your senior leader got word to get ahead of this because there won't be a season.

Dude... there has to be an open job for a coach to leave. You think FBS teams that are starting Camp this week have unfilled positions on their staffs?

Zero coaches will leave as a result of us not playing this Fall. ZERO.

As for all these FBS schools that are "playing" this Fall... Let's see where things stand in October.

Hey DUDE!!!!! DUH!!!! Didn't say they were leaving this year!!! Duh!!!
But next year when jobs open up----coaches will move to schools that have played. Coaches want to move their careers forward. We have talented coaches that will be able to grab an FBS job. Coaches will want to be at schools that play football games

Ok Dude---and believe me dude---we will lose commits, and there will be more transfers if we don't play---Dude

RE: 2020 Depth Chart - DukeDogNation - 08-05-2020 09:24 PM

(08-05-2020 09:05 PM)DukeThaDawg Wrote:  I think Bourne in some ways might be scared that if JMU plays an FBS heavy schedule, and has success then the momentum for a move up might be so strong from the fan base, and some donors, that he might not be able to stop it. I don't think JMU really wants t be in the mediocre G5 pack. So Bourne's strategy is to just cancel the season, and stay FCS.

But If JMU did have success with an FBS heavy schedule, I would not care if they resumed their FCS bully status in 2021. The brand works---but for it to continue to work, they must play this year.

Amos transferring should be a huge wake-up call that we must play. We just lost our best defender, one of the nation's top PR, and a team leader. That is devastating

I appreciate you sharing your opinion, there's a lot of stuff I agree with although I don't agree with a couple of your points.

I don't think Bourne is scared to play an FBS-heavy schedule, I just don't think the value proposition for those games is going to be as appealing as normal. It's very likely that few to no fans will be allowed in stadiums I would have to imagine renegotiated contracts or new contracts would be lower. I'm also going to guess that no fans will be allowed in Bridgeforth, lowering ticket sales revenue for home games combined with testing costs makes FCS home games non-revenue generating.

I agree that not playing a season will be detrimental to the program, but personally, I just think it's unsafe to play the game of football. Anyone is more than welcome to disagree with that take, but that's my take.