CSNbbs
Anyone Going to Watch NDSU vs JMU Today? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Mid-American Conference Talk (/forum-472.html)
+---- Thread: Anyone Going to Watch NDSU vs JMU Today? (/thread-892211.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Anyone Going to Watch NDSU vs JMU Today? - emu steve - 01-11-2020 10:35 AM

I looked at the Sagarins and their Sagarins are better than the best MAC teams.

I see that NDSU is ranked #36 and James Madison is ranked #50. Those are two powerhouse programs.

I would not object to having both in the MAC for FB.

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2019/conference/

RE: Anyone Going to Watch NDSU vs JMU Today? - IWokeUpLikeThis - 01-11-2020 11:07 PM

If both were in the MAC, today’s match would’ve been this year’s MAC title game.

That stadium didn’t have an empty seat and was entirely gold or purple. Impressive fan support. Impressive facilities. Both programs are built for the long haul.

I would not object to them in the MAC either. NDSU-FB would be paired with NKU-BB. It would help the league gain NY6 traction.

RE: Anyone Going to Watch NDSU vs JMU Today? - emu steve - 01-12-2020 08:52 AM

(01-11-2020 11:07 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  If both were in the MAC, today’s match would’ve been this year’s MAC title game.

That stadium didn’t have an empty seat and was entirely gold or purple. Impressive fan support. Impressive facilities. Both programs are built for the long haul.

I would not object to them in the MAC either. NDSU-FB would be paired with NKU-BB. It would help the league gain NY6 traction.

Agree with your comments. I don't understand BB though? Last sentence. Typo?

The most difficult thing is that it would mean a lot of FLIGHTS instead of bus trips. I assume most conference games involve the teams traveling by bus.

NDSU and JMU would need to be prepared for a big increase in travel costs.

That said a school, e.g., EMU would play at NDSU what once every two years and say once every six years at JMU (there would be only two crossover games each season and 6 intra-divisional games for a total of 8 conference games).

RE: Anyone Going to Watch NDSU vs JMU Today? - FMRocket - 01-12-2020 01:59 PM

(01-11-2020 11:07 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  If both were in the MAC, today’s match would’ve been this year’s MAC title game.

Though it will never happen, I would prefer NDSU/JMU football only...
Having NDSU/NKU for FB and bb only would create 13 team league and uneven divisions...03-banghead

RE: Anyone Going to Watch NDSU vs JMU Today? - ColinApocalypse - 01-12-2020 02:43 PM

I'll just say that NDSU is one of the most well coached teams I've ever seen, at any level. They went undefeated and won a national championship with a true frosh QB. That's a Clemson move. Just a really impressive program.

RE: Anyone Going to Watch NDSU vs JMU Today? - emu steve - 01-12-2020 02:57 PM

(01-12-2020 02:43 PM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  I'll just say that NDSU is one of the most well coached teams I've ever seen, at any level. They went undefeated and won a national championship with a true frosh QB. That's a Clemson move. Just a really impressive program.

Exactly. NDSU and JMU are two consistently excellent FB programs.

They would be a good add for any G5 conference.

RE: Anyone Going to Watch NDSU vs JMU Today? - astr083 - 01-12-2020 04:26 PM

No!! Personally, I have absolutely no interest in either of these programs in the MAC. Although they both seem to be building strong traditions on the football field, neither is within the geographical footprint/region, and do nothing to turn on TV's in larger media outlets..... UCONN & UMASS both make better sense in the long run for conference additions, even though they are both miserable in football. They are already instant rivals, and border a conference state (NY), which is what the MAC office wants if/when adding schools. If they don't bring all sports, then Illinois State (Chicago/Peoria), Indiana State (Indianapolis/Terre Haute), or Army (national presence) make the most sense from an academic, athletic, and geographical standpoint. They are also all natural rivals for NIU, Ball State & Buffalo.... Three schools without a real in-state conference rival.

RE: Anyone Going to Watch NDSU vs JMU Today? - ColinApocalypse - 01-12-2020 06:35 PM

Harrisonburg, VA (where JMU is) is MUCH closer to the MAC "footprint" than UConn or UMass.

Harrisonburg to Athens is a 5 hour drive. 5.5 or 6 hours to Akron/Kent. You know, the typical Eastern edge of MAC territory.

Mansfield, CT is 11 hours to Athens and 9 hours to Akron/Kent. The mileage from Amherst is about the same.

Hell, Buffalo is way out of our footprint and they're still 6+ hours away from UConn/UMass.

RE: Anyone Going to Watch NDSU vs JMU Today? - kreed5120 - 01-12-2020 06:45 PM

Even if 2 MAC teams for whatever reason left the conference, the MAC schools would come ahead financially by just staying at 10 schools. Expanding to 14 makes absolutely no sense financially unless something like the B12 split up and Iowa St and Kansas lost the musical chair game and came calling.

RE: Anyone Going to Watch NDSU vs JMU Today? - astr083 - 01-13-2020 03:09 PM

Agreed... Much better to just stay at 12, unless Army, UCONN & UMASS go in for all sports, there is really no reason to expand and further saturate the already thin reimbursement each school receives from the conference each year.

RE: Anyone Going to Watch NDSU vs JMU Today? - NIU007 - 01-14-2020 09:43 AM

I think NDSU and JMU adds would bring a little more interest and even excitement to a very staid conference. I believe that would make up for some or all of the loss in splitting up revenue between more schools. It's not like we're raking in much $ as it is.

RE: Anyone Going to Watch NDSU vs JMU Today? - emu steve - 01-14-2020 09:57 AM

(01-14-2020 09:43 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  I think NDSU and JMU adds would bring a little more interest and even excitement to a very staid conference. I believe that would make up for some or all of the loss in splitting up revenue between more schools. It's not like we're raking in much $ as it is.

I agree.

One way to build (improve) a conference is to add at the TOP, not bottom, of the conference.

Nothing helps a G5 conference more than having top 40 type teams. NDSU has top 40 potential.

RE: Anyone Going to Watch NDSU vs JMU Today? - kreed5120 - 01-14-2020 10:34 AM

(01-14-2020 09:43 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  I think NDSU and JMU adds would bring a little more interest and even excitement to a very staid conference. I believe that would make up for some or all of the loss in splitting up revenue between more schools. It's not like we're raking in much $ as it is.

Which is exactly why these schools need to protect the little money they're currently getting. Every MAC athletic program is already heavily subsidized by the Universities. These same Universities have declining enrollments and it's getting more challenging for them to burden the cost to subsidize the athletics to the extent that they have been. If ESPN said sure we'll rip up your TV deal and give us a big bump in pay then sure add them. I just don't see that happening.

RE: Anyone Going to Watch NDSU vs JMU Today? - NIU007 - 01-14-2020 11:13 AM

Anyway, I watched the FCS championship. I'm jealous of NDSU having such a good freshman QB.

I didn't watch the LSU-Clemson game though.

RE: Anyone Going to Watch NDSU vs JMU Today? - emu steve - 01-14-2020 12:26 PM

(01-14-2020 10:34 AM)kreed5120 Wrote:  

Which is exactly why these schools need to protect the little money they're currently getting. Every MAC athletic program is already heavily subsidized by the Universities. These same Universities have declining enrollments and it's getting more challenging for them to burden the cost to subsidize the athletics to the extent that they have been. If ESPN said sure we'll rip up your TV deal and give us a big bump in pay then sure add them. I just don't see that happening.

I had heard that ESPN can re-open the contract if a conference gains or loses two members.

Say, ESPN could add 1M per year to the contract for two new teams.

RE: Anyone Going to Watch NDSU vs JMU Today? - cmufanatic - 01-14-2020 01:57 PM

(01-14-2020 12:26 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(01-14-2020 10:34 AM)kreed5120 Wrote:  

I had heard that ESPN can re-open the contract if a conference gains or loses two members.

Say, ESPN could add 1M per year to the contract for two new teams.

what i was going to add yesturday then got busy and forgot. I think a study should be done at least to see if it would be something of interest to MAC presidents

RE: Anyone Going to Watch NDSU vs JMU Today? - GRBRONCO - 01-14-2020 02:18 PM

No thanks to any FCS schools in BFE. Maybe NDSU should join the MW. Or if they also think they would dominate there, go ahead to the Pac-12.

RE: Anyone Going to Watch NDSU vs JMU Today? - cmufanatic - 01-14-2020 03:44 PM

we could re name to the BFE conference.

RE: Anyone Going to Watch NDSU vs JMU Today? - NIU007 - 01-14-2020 03:48 PM

What is BFE?

RE: Anyone Going to Watch NDSU vs JMU Today? - cmufanatic - 01-14-2020 04:04 PM

(01-14-2020 03:48 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  What is BFE?

BUM F*UCK EGYPT. ie middle no where