CSNbbs
SEC IN THE BOWLS: - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SECbbs (/forum-285.html)
+---- Forum: SEC Conference Talk (/forum-246.html)
+---- Thread: SEC IN THE BOWLS: (/thread-891311.html)

Pages: 1 2

SEC IN THE BOWLS: - JRsec - 12-27-2019 10:13 PM

Aggies 24 Pokes 21

Nice win for the Aggie D who played well enough. I still hate the damned prevent defense. It prevents nothing. Mond had a solid night running the ball. A&M started slow but really dominated the 2nd half.

L.S.U. 63 Sooners 28

Just plain dominant! Burrows 7 TD passes in the first half a rushing TD in the 3rd Qtr, and well over 400 yds passing. L.S.U.'s D played well early.

Louisville 38 Miss State 28

Congrats to Louisville they seized the momentum on a scoop and score and didn't really get threatened after that. Miss State's defense seldom lined up correctly and the DB's couldn't find their man to cover. It was total chaos in the secondary. State scores the first 14 points of the game and then never went back to that strategy. They outsized Louisville across the offensive front and never got out of RPO mode so the line didn't get the push and the Cardinals were able to crowd the line all day. Solid coaching job by Louisville, atrocious coaching job by Miss State.

Florida 36 Virginia 28

Excellent game for the most part. Virginia played a fine ball game and wasn't really ever out of it but the interception Florida got at their own three made things a lot easier for the Gators.

RE: SEC IN THE BOWLS: - cubucks - 12-28-2019 07:41 PM

Congratulations, LSU!

RE: SEC IN THE BOWLS: - USAFMEDIC - 12-29-2019 05:46 PM

I have never seen a college team saddle up and play like that for 60 minutes. It will be a great championship game. Clemson manned up and beat what I thought might be the best team in CFB. It would have been amusing to see Burrows unload on his old school. 04-cheers

RE: SEC IN THE BOWLS: - vandiver49 - 12-30-2019 11:14 PM

(12-27-2019 10:13 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Aggies 24 Pokes 21

Nice win for the Aggie D who played well enough. I still hate the damned prevent defense. It prevents nothing. Mond had a solid night running the ball. A&M started slow but really dominated the 2nd half.

L.S.U. 63 Sooners 28

Just plain dominant! Burrows 7 TD passes in the first half a rushing TD in the 3rd Qtr, and well over 400 yds passing. L.S.U.'s D played well early.

Congrats to Louisville they seized the momentum on a scoop and score and didn't really get threatened after that. Miss State's defense seldom lined up correctly and the DB's couldn't find their man to cover. It was total chaos in the secondary. State scores the first 14 points of the game and then never went back to that strategy. They outsized Louisville across the offensive front and never got out of RPO mode so the line didn't get the push and the Cardinals were able to crowd the line all day. Solid coaching job by Louisville, atrocious coaching job by Miss State.

I was holding out hope the Moorehead might be the answer in Starkville. This performance didn’t inspire confidence in the upcoming 2020 season.

RE: SEC IN THE BOWLS: - Guardian - 12-31-2019 08:33 AM

Dangit Mississippi State! We were counting on you!

RE: SEC IN THE BOWLS: - AllTideUp - 12-31-2019 09:44 AM

(12-30-2019 11:14 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  

L.S.U. 63 Sooners 28

I was holding out hope the Moorehead might be the answer in Starkville. This performance didn’t inspire confidence in the upcoming 2020 season.

I thought that was a really nice hire when they made it.

2 years in and I'm not sure they're any better.

RE: SEC IN THE BOWLS: - Guardian - 12-31-2019 10:14 AM

(12-31-2019 09:44 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  I thought that was a really nice hire when they made it.

Yeah, but who can do better? Mullen was an outlier and they did well for him, and he left. Do they want to keep playing musical chairs for coaches, or give this one an extra year (or two) and accept going bowling as the metric for successful seasons?

It's great to always want the homerun hire and fire the middling coach, but sometimes that turns out really badly. Especially considering how hard it is to win in the SEC West, unless they can go out and actually hire that homerun hire, stay pat for another year and see what the landscape looks like next year.

Context: If Alabama would have hired anyone other than Nick Saban after firing Shula, I would have been pissed. Getting Saban was that homerun hire. Without it, we would have kept playing the game of rotating middling coaches.

If you can't get the big guy, at least be consistent.

RE: SEC IN THE BOWLS: - OdinFrigg - 12-31-2019 12:07 PM

It is simple at Mississippi State. Poor coaching. I predicted Louisville would win.

JRsec is correct. The defense lined up inappropriately for what Louisville was throwing at them. The defense was sloppy all year. The offense had their moments, but sputtered too often. Quarterback play was inconsistent, and the offensive line wasn't strong consistently.
MSU looks like a team somewhat undisciplined and frankly, not having enough controlled preparation on the fundamentals necessary to be cohesive. All year, there were too many fumbles, dropped passes, missed blocking, and ineffective energy following the ball.

On perhaps a positive note, Moorhead did land a few 4-star recruits from the state. Mullen never really did that.
Give Moorhead another year, and see what progress happens. That defense though, is lousy coaching. That needs to be changed now.

Satterfield turned Louisville around following the 2-10 season in his initial year. Moorhead at State has delivered two mediocre seasons with two bowl loses. Lucky wins over Ole Miss should not be the standard. Lane Kiffin teams will dominate State fast.

RE: SEC IN THE BOWLS: - AllTideUp - 12-31-2019 02:29 PM

(12-31-2019 10:14 AM)Guardian Wrote:  
(12-31-2019 09:44 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  I thought that was a really nice hire when they made it.

Yeah, but who can do better? Mullen was an outlier and they did well for him, and he left. Do they want to keep playing musical chairs for coaches, or give this one an extra year (or two) and accept going bowling as the metric for successful seasons?

It's great to always want the homerun hire and fire the middling coach, but sometimes that turns out really badly. Especially considering how hard it is to win in the SEC West, unless they can go out and actually hire that homerun hire, stay pat for another year and see what the landscape looks like next year.

Context: If Alabama would have hired anyone other than Nick Saban after firing Shula, I would have been pissed. Getting Saban was that homerun hire. Without it, we would have kept playing the game of rotating middling coaches.

Oh, I wouldn't fire him anytime soon.

MSU is not a destination job and they need to give anyone they get plenty of time unless they're just hitting rock bottom.

To be fair, Moorhead has never been a head coach before so maybe he just needs some time to figure it out.

RE: SEC IN THE BOWLS: - JRsec - 12-31-2019 03:23 PM

L.S.U. 63 Sooners 28

Florida 36 Virginia 28

Excellent game for the most part. Virginia played a fine ball game and wasn't really ever out of it but the interception Florida got at their own three made things a lot easier for the Gators.

Kentucky 37 Virginia Tech 30

A classic football game well played by both teams with an excuse me 6 points on the last play of what really was a 1 point game. It's just hard to believe that a 1 dimensional team can be so impressive in this day without throwing the ball. Kudos to the Cats!

Minnesota 31 Auburn 24

Minnesota played well on both sides of the ball. Auburn's offense couldn't stay on the field in the first half so our Defense literally was on the field for about 23 minutes of the first half. Minnesota capitalized on Auburn mistakes and Auburn didn't capitalize on the Gophers only turnover.

Alabama 35 Michigan 16

The first half was sluggish both ways and ended with Michigan leading by 2. Alabama got it going in the second half defensively and offensively and put them away.

Georgia 26 Baylor 14

Gutsy performance by an undermanned but determined Bulldog team! Way to go Dawgs! This win makes the SEC 3-0 against the Big 12 this bowl season.

RE: SEC IN THE BOWLS: - OdinFrigg - 12-31-2019 08:07 PM

(12-31-2019 02:29 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

MSU is not a destination job and they need to give anyone they get plenty of time unless they're just hitting rock bottom.

To be fair, Moorhead has never been a head coach before so maybe he just needs some time to figure it out.

ATU, Moorhead was head fb coach at Fordham University in NY before becoming OC at Penn State with Franklin.

RE: SEC IN THE BOWLS: - vandiver49 - 12-31-2019 08:34 PM

(12-31-2019 03:23 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

L.S.U. 63 Sooners 28

Florida 36 Virginia 28

A classic football game well played by both teams with an excuse me 6 points on the last play of what really was a 1 point game. It's just hard to believe that a 1 dimensional team can be so impressive in this day without throwing the ball. Kudos to the Cats!

But UK won on a trick play, a pass down the seam! Nobody expected that.

RE: SEC IN THE BOWLS: - AllTideUp - 12-31-2019 09:05 PM

(12-31-2019 08:07 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  

ATU, Moorhead was head fb coach at Fordham University in NY before becoming OC at Penn State with Franklin.

Oh ok, didn't know that.

Nonetheless, I'd still give him at least 2 more years.

RE: SEC IN THE BOWLS: - OdinFrigg - 01-01-2020 05:05 PM

(12-31-2019 09:05 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(12-31-2019 08:07 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  

Oh ok, didn't know that.

Nonetheless, I'd still give him at least 2 more years.
Agree. Hopefully, significant progress will be shown next season.

RE: SEC IN THE BOWLS: - OdinFrigg - 01-01-2020 05:20 PM

Gus appears to always stick with his game plan regardless when something isn't working well. Auburn still had a fine season with tight games against a bunch of ranked teams. P.J. Fleck had the Gophers ready for this one.

Congrats 'Bama on winning the other match-up with the BIG.

Georgia, please handle Baylor. You've already had your screwy game this year.

RE: SEC IN THE BOWLS: - AllTideUp - 01-01-2020 06:26 PM

(01-01-2020 05:20 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  Gus appears to always stick with his game plan regardless when something isn't working well. Auburn still had a fine season with tight games against a bunch of ranked teams. P.J. Fleck had the Gophers ready for this one.

Congrats 'Bama on winning the other match-up with the BIG.

Georgia, please handle Baylor. You've already had your screwy game this year.

I don't have a lot of faith in Georgia tonight. They are missing about 18 scholarship players due to injury, suspension, or players sitting out.

Baylor, meanwhile, has a nice opportunity on their hands.

RE: SEC IN THE BOWLS: - JRsec - 01-01-2020 08:50 PM

I don't see how Georgia can win down 13 players from the 1st and 2nd string.

But, just so everyone knows the Auburn offense stunk it up today with probably our lowest production of the year and I just wanted all of you to know that our OC was gone and this was his replacement's first game calling our plays. His replacement was a friend of Gus, named Chad Morris!

This is a hire that I've been steaming about since it was made. The AD should have had the balls to tell Gus no!

RE: SEC IN THE BOWLS: - murrdcu - 01-02-2020 05:16 PM

(12-31-2019 08:33 AM)Guardian Wrote:  Dangit Mississippi State! We were counting on you!

Lol. You never count on State.

RE: SEC IN THE BOWLS: - JRsec - 01-02-2020 10:50 PM

(12-31-2019 03:23 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

L.S.U. 63 Sooners 28

Florida 36 Virginia 28

Minnesota 31 Auburn 24

Minnesota played well on both sides of the ball. Auburn's offense couldn't stay on the field in the first half so our Defense literally was on the field for about 23 minutes of the first half. Minnesota capitalized on Auburn mistakes and Auburn didn't capitalize on the Gophers only turnover.

Alabama 35 Michigan 16

The first half was sluggish both ways and ended with Michigan leading by 2. Alabama got it going in the second half defensively and offensively and put them away.

Georgia 26 Baylor 14

Gutsy performance by an undermanned but determined Bulldog team! Way to go Dawgs! This win makes the SEC 3-0 against the Big 12 this bowl season.

Tennessee 23 Indiana 22

The Vols execute a really fine onside kick and pull this one out of their bungholes. Neither team did much in the first half. Indiana owned the third quarter mostly on Tennessee mistakes and with 4:52 to go trailing by 13 Tennessee scores gets the onside kick and scores again leaving too much time on the clock. Indiana drives and misses a 52 yard field goal to go with a missed extra point to lose by 1. Happy the Vols found their stride at the end and their D line played pretty well all night.

The SEC should finished the regular Bowl season with the best overall record of 7-2.

Geaux Tigers!

RE: SEC IN THE BOWLS: - vandiver49 - 01-03-2020 12:11 AM

(01-02-2020 10:50 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Tennessee 23 Indiana 22

The Vols execute a really fine onside kick and pull this one out of their bungholes. Neither team did much in the first half. Indiana owned the third quarter mostly on Tennessee mistakes and with 4:52 to go trailing by 13 Tennessee scores gets the onside kick and scores again leaving too much time on the clock. Indiana drives and misses a 52 yard field goal to go with a missed extra point to lose by 1. Happy the Vols found their stride at the end and their D line played pretty well all night.

The SEC should finished the regular Bowl season with the best overall record of 7-2.

Geaux Tigers!

Did you see the way the Hoosiers QB was running on the Vols D? UT simply can't get pressure with the front 4. Jarred G. had a terrible 3rd QTR. I'm happy for the win but there are a lot of questions that this recruiting class needs to fill. The coaching staff also needs to be better prepared situationally.