CSNbbs
Lending Tree Mobile Bowl Louisiana vs Miami - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Lending Tree Mobile Bowl Louisiana vs Miami (/thread-889955.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Lending Tree Mobile Bowl Louisiana vs Miami - chiefsfan - 12-08-2019 04:15 PM

The Ohio version of Miami...not the other one.

RE: Lending Tree Mobile Bowl Louisiana vs Miami - Yosef Himself - 12-08-2019 04:24 PM

Beat the brakes off of them

RE: Lending Tree Mobile Bowl Louisiana vs Miami - Love and Honor - 12-08-2019 04:30 PM

Miami was a college when Florida belonged to Spain, we predate Da U by over a century. Should be a fun game.

Anyone familiar with Mobile have recommendations for neighborhoods (for Airbnb) or hotels to stay? Never been to Alabama period.

RE: Lending Tree Mobile Bowl Louisiana vs Miami - eaglewraith - 12-08-2019 04:34 PM

(12-08-2019 04:30 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  Miami was a college when Florida belonged to Spain, we predate Da U by over a century. Should be a fun game.

Anyone familiar with Mobile have recommendations for neighborhoods (for Airbnb) or hotels to stay? Never been to Alabama period.

MobileBama should be along shortly to do his thing, at least I think he still does.

RE: Lending Tree Mobile Bowl Louisiana vs Miami - Eagle22 - 12-08-2019 05:30 PM

(12-08-2019 04:30 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  Miami was a college when Florida belonged to Spain, we predate Da U by over a century. Should be a fun game.

Stay at the team hotels downtown ... very good for the parade (which we didn't get to enjoy our year there due to the weather) ... plus it is a short walk down to some bars and places to eat.

RE: Lending Tree Mobile Bowl Louisiana vs Miami - OsageJ - 12-08-2019 05:51 PM

Best place I stayed was called the Battlehouse...I think.

RE: Lending Tree Mobile Bowl Louisiana vs Miami - eaglewraith - 12-08-2019 05:53 PM

(12-08-2019 05:51 PM)OsageJ Wrote:  Best place I stayed was called the Battlehouse...I think.

SBC Team hotel should be the Renaissance Riverview or something like that. It was really nice. It's the cheaper of the two as well, and a bit more convenient to Dauphin street where everything seems to be.

RE: Lending Tree Mobile Bowl Louisiana vs Miami - Eagle22 - 12-08-2019 06:33 PM

The Renaissance Riverview will be one team hotel, and the Battlehouse will be the other team hotel unless something has changed. Both are great and right in the middle of things.

RE: Lending Tree Mobile Bowl Louisiana vs Miami - arkstfan - 12-09-2019 01:08 AM

Third time we went we stayed in a HUGE house on the bay. It was a hump to get out there but really quiet and nice.

Stayed out by interstate on edge of town second time, saved money but not as fun

First time stayed at the Renaissance and fourth tim at the Battle House. I highly recommend either because it's in the middle of the action.

RE: Lending Tree Mobile Bowl Louisiana vs Miami - BirdofParadise - 12-09-2019 10:39 AM

Cajuns will be at the Battlehouse.

RE: Lending Tree Mobile Bowl Louisiana vs Miami - MobileBama1 - 12-09-2019 10:42 AM

I'll put together a more detailed "Things to do" list this week but first I'd book the team hotel or Hampton Inn ASAP.

The team hotel is right in the middle of downtown. It's fun seeing players/coaches/fans and has a fun lobby bar. Really great atmosphere.
Marriott Riverview Plaza:
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/mobrv-renaissance-mobile-riverview-plaza-hotel/?scid=45f93f1b-bd77-45c9-8dab-83b6a417f6fe

If you can't book at team hotel, there are several really good hotels all in the same area.

The Hampton Inn is right across the street from team hotel. Request a balcony room which overlooks the Mardi Gras parade
Hampton Inn:
https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/mobdthx-hampton-suites-mobile-downtown-historic-district/

Another good one is the Hilton Garden Inn - right on Mardi Gras parade route and fun bar.
https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/mobdogi-hilton-garden-inn-mobile-downtown/

other downtown hotels:

Marriott Battle House - (the lobby may be under construction)
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/mobbr-the-battle-house-renaissance-mobile-hotel-and-spa/

Holiday Inn - https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/mobile/mobhi/hoteldetail

The Admiral Hilton - https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/mobcuqq-the-admiral-hotel-mobile/

Quality Inn - if you just need a place to crash this is a good spot. Easy and safe walking to all bars/restaurants and balconies/parking lot offers fun party atmosphere
https://www.choicehotels.com/alabama/mobile/quality-inn-hotels/al045?pmf=yext&mc=llyxyxpx

RE: Lending Tree Mobile Bowl Louisiana vs Miami - MobileBama1 - 12-09-2019 11:06 AM

(12-09-2019 10:39 AM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  Cajuns will be at the Battlehouse.

Unless something has changed, I'm pretty sure they are at the Riverview Plaza. Sun Belt team has always stayed here.

MAC team gets put out by the mall. Wish both teams got to stay downtown.

RE: Lending Tree Mobile Bowl Louisiana vs Miami - kevinwmsn - 12-09-2019 11:24 AM

Battle House is nice. Hampton Inn has a nice breakfast and is not far from some bars and restaurants, I stay there a lot during Mardi Gras. Hopefully it will be the last time the bowl will be in Ladd People's Stadium. They shut down the concessions down as early as mid 3rd quarter, but definitely by 4th quarter. Sometimes they run out of some items in the 2nd quarter. There's this place called Ruby Slipper on Royal Street that has a great brunch it is always packed.

RE: Lending Tree Mobile Bowl Louisiana vs Miami - JoeJag - 12-09-2019 12:04 PM

Downtown or Bel Air Mall Marriott.

Lending Tree Mobile Bowl Louisiana vs Miami - CajunFan3406 - 12-09-2019 01:17 PM

(12-09-2019 11:06 AM)MobileBama1 Wrote:  

Unless something has changed, I'm pretty sure they are at the Riverview Plaza. Sun Belt team has always stayed here.

Considering BoP is traveling with the team and doing the radio call, I'll take his word for where the Cajuns are staying.

RE: Lending Tree Mobile Bowl Louisiana vs Miami - MobileBama1 - 12-09-2019 09:47 PM

(12-09-2019 01:17 PM)CajunFan3406 Wrote:  

Considering BoP is traveling with the team and doing the radio call, I'll take his word for where the Cajuns are staying.

Battle House is awesome. Great location and parade runs right in front of it. Nice lobby bar and pizza restaurant.

Lending Tree Mobile Bowl Louisiana vs Miami - CajunFan3406 - 12-10-2019 07:05 AM

(12-09-2019 09:47 PM)MobileBama1 Wrote:  

Battle House is awesome. Great location and parade runs right in front of it. Nice lobby bar and pizza restaurant.

What's the route of the parade? I saw earlier posts that said the Hilton Garden Inn was on the route too.

RE: Lending Tree Mobile Bowl Louisiana vs Miami - SkullyMaroo - 12-10-2019 07:41 AM

(12-10-2019 07:05 AM)CajunFan3406 Wrote:  
(12-09-2019 09:47 PM)MobileBama1 Wrote:  

What's the route of the parade? I saw earlier posts that said the Hilton Garden Inn was on the route too.

It’s on this page. https://lendingtreebowl.com/events-2/greers-markets-cashsaversal-com-mardi-gras/

The Hilton Garden Inn is on the route. The parks/green spaces are in green on this map. Look for Bienville Square. The parade route passes it on Conception St., and the back of HGI is on the other side of the street.

RE: Lending Tree Mobile Bowl Louisiana vs Miami - MobileBama1 - 12-10-2019 10:50 AM

CajunFan, do you mind passing this info to the RaginPagin board? I'm not able to post there. Hopefully this info will help those coming over for the game.

Hotels
stay downtown if possible because all of the action is there.

Hampton Inn - request balcony room
Hilton Garden Inn - nice bar/restaurant and right on parade route. Very new
Battle House
Holiday Inn
Hilton Admiral
Candlewood Suites
Malaga Inn - older bed and breakfast type hotel
Quality Inn - if you're looking for a place to crash and don't care about amenities this is your place. It's a party hotel as all rooms are connected by balconies which makes it fun but noisy. Great hotel for college kids or those looking to party. Parking lot turns into a tailgate. Bring grills and beer

Restaurants:

Callaghans Irish Social Club - great burgers, neighborhood bar/restaurant
Wintzell's Oyster Bar - great seafood fun bar. Sit at bar and watch/eat fresh shucked raw oysters
Chuck's Fish - reservations and request to sit upstairs. Excellent sushi and seafood
NOJA - reservations and great date spot $$$
Dumbwaiter - reservations one of our favorite downtown restaurants
Felix Fish Camp - reservations nice seafood restaurant on Mobile Bay
R & R Seafood - low key but really good fried seafood PO Boys!
Original Oyster House - great for families - awesome fried seafood. Get the whole fried flounder and cheese grits!

Breakfast - Ruby Slipper, Spot of Tea, Serda Coffee
Sunday Brunch - go ahead and make reservations at FIVE for their Sunday brunch. Opens at 10am Great food and live music. NFL games on tv and nice atmosphere. Kid friendly.
https://www.five-bar.com/location/mobile-alabama/

Quick lunch downtown - Heroes Sports Bar, Loda Bier Garten, Moes BBQ, OK Bicycle Shop

Nightlife:

Dauphin Street - one street with bars for every taste. Open containers ok as long as it is poured in plastic cup which bars will have a front door. All bars are easy and safe walking distance from every downtown hotel

A few bars I suggest. In order of walking from river (Battle House, Hampton, Riverview) west down Dauphin

Veets - hole in the wall across from Riverview Plaza. Awesome live music, older crowd. Doesn't get going until 9pm+

Haberdasher - great drinks, nice crowd

Loda Bier Garten - hundreds of craft beer good food

Alchemy Tavern - neat bar with good beer

Pat's - many may remember Pat's for "hosting" the RedHawk fans. Beer specials

Serda Brewing - brewery with nice outdoor seating

Post - very good mixed drinks, nice crowd

O'Daly's Irish Pub - college aged crowd, three bars all connected. Good music, drink specials

The Garage

Moe's BBQ - get a bushwhacker. This is the last bar on Dauphin Street. No need to go any further past Moe's.

Big events:
Mardi Gras Parade Saturday night
The parade runs in front of the major downtown hotels: Hilton Garden Inn, Candlewood Suites, Battle House, Hampton Inn and Riverview. This is a big parade with around 20 local floats, team cheerleaders and bands. Make sure kids have bags to keep all of their beads, footballs and stuffed animals. It's a ton of fun and highlight of the bowl experience.

The best place to watch the parade is anywhere along Bienville Square. Battle House, Hampton and Riverview will be packed and it's at end of route so many riders will be low or out of throws.

Pep-rally and street party is Sunday night

Ladd Stadium - It's not awful but it's not very good. Concessions are terrible so eat before you enter. They do sell beer and liquor so that's a plus. Parking is first come first inside the gates. If you get there late you'll have to pay $20 to park in someone's yard. Shuttles are a good idea or Uber is fine.

If you need to buy tailgating supplies there's a good grocery store a few blocks from the stadium Winn Dixie 1550 Government Street

Things to see/do

USS Alabama
Carnival Museum
Gulf Quest Maritime Museum
Gulf Coast Duck Tour - http://www.gulfcoastducks.com
Gulf Coast Pedal Tour - fun way to bar hop down Dauphin Street
Crescent theater - nice one screen theater. Buy tickets early http://www.crescenttheater.com
Bienville Bites downtown food tour
Spring Hill College - nice place to walk/run away from downtown if weather is good
Dauphin Island - visit fort morgan and dauphin island aquarium and sea lab. Great for kids and history lovers
Gulf Shores / Orange Beach beaches
- LuLu's for lunch with kids or adults.
-Flora Bama Yacht Club (main bar is across street on Gulf of Mexico)
Downtown Fairhope for shopping - make sure to take Scenic 98 when driving from Mobile. Very nice drive along Mobile Bay
- Fairhope Brewery
- Sunset Pointe lunch
- Grand Hotel for walking/running. When you walk onto property take a left and walk the boardwalk along Mobile Bay

RE: Lending Tree Mobile Bowl Louisiana vs Miami - ericsaid - 12-10-2019 10:51 AM

(12-08-2019 05:30 PM)Eagle22 Wrote:  

Stay at the team hotels downtown ... very good for the parade (which we didn't get to enjoy our year there due to the weather) ... plus it is a short walk down to some bars and places to eat.

58-22 (wasn't that the score? Don't remember) was worth it i'm sure.