CSNbbs
Akinjo and LeBlanc gone - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Proving Grounds (/forum-768.html)
+--- Forum: BigEastbbs (/forum-771.html)
+---- Forum: Big East Conference Talk (/forum-772.html)
+---- Thread: Akinjo and LeBlanc gone (/thread-889361.html)

Pages: 1 2

Akinjo and LeBlanc gone - VCE - 12-02-2019 08:41 PM

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/georgetown-takes-a-big-hit-as-starting-point-guard-james-akinjo-key-reserve-reportedly-enter-transfer-portal/

Sorry Big East

RE: Akinjo and LeBlanc gone - bill dazzle - 12-02-2019 09:20 PM

A big blow. The best GU can do now is the NIT, and that will be a challenge.

RE: Akinjo and LeBlanc gone - VCE - 12-02-2019 09:38 PM

There are court filings naming two other reserves with TROs requested against them, but they appear to still be on the team. Akinjo hasn’t been implicated in this mess to this point from a legal perspective. Disappointing and a bad mark on the program regardless of how it plays out.

RE: Akinjo and LeBlanc gone - GoldenWarrior11 - 12-02-2019 09:57 PM

Boy, when was the last time a Big East program lost two of it's best players and starters to transfer in the same day?

RE: Akinjo and LeBlanc gone - VCE - 12-02-2019 10:05 PM

I’ll bet most of us already saw that one :-)

RE: Akinjo and LeBlanc gone - stever20 - 12-03-2019 12:51 AM

just saw this-

RE: Akinjo and LeBlanc gone - stever20 - 12-03-2019 01:00 AM

but yeah, this is the kind of thing that could really hurt Georgetown for a long time.

RE: Akinjo and LeBlanc gone - GoldenWarrior11 - 12-03-2019 07:48 AM

(12-03-2019 01:00 AM)stever20 Wrote:  but yeah, this is the kind of thing that could really hurt Georgetown for a long time.

Same thing was said when the Hausers bolted. No program should endure players that don't want to be there. A ton, and I do mean a ton, of available minutes have now opened up for Georgetown moving forward. The most valuable asset a coach can offer to new recruits is the opportunity to play.

Georgetown will need to weather the storm this season, but long term this is clearly best for all parties.

FWIW, both Akinjo and LeBlanc were recruits that were flipped. Their choice to leave (or in a case, dismissed) says more about them than it does Georgetown.

RE: Akinjo and LeBlanc gone - stever20 - 12-03-2019 08:38 AM

(12-03-2019 07:48 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  
(12-03-2019 01:00 AM)stever20 Wrote:  but yeah, this is the kind of thing that could really hurt Georgetown for a long time.

Same thing was said when the Hausers bolted. No program should endure players that don't want to be there. A ton, and I do mean a ton, of available minutes have now opened up for Georgetown moving forward. The most valuable asset a coach can offer to new recruits is the opportunity to play.

Georgetown will need to weather the storm this season, but long term this is clearly best for all parties.

FWIW, both Akinjo and LeBlanc were recruits that were flipped. Their choice to leave (or in a case, dismissed) says more about them than it does Georgetown.

The Akinjo one is not bad. It seems like it's a garden variety transfer- something you see all the time..

There is just something weird about the others though. There were 3 players with restraining orders on the Hoyas and all 3 of them played on Saturday. It's at best a bad look. And at worst, who knows?

Also you just can not compare Marquette who was very established- having made the tourney 2 of the 3 prior years with Georgetown- who has missed the tourney the last 5 of the last 6 years. This year was looking like it was going to get the Hoyas back in the tourney. Totally stunts all the momentum Ewing had built up in his first 2 years.

RE: Akinjo and LeBlanc gone - GoldenWarrior11 - 12-03-2019 09:42 AM

(12-03-2019 08:38 AM)stever20 Wrote:  

The Akinjo one is not bad. It seems like it's a garden variety transfer- something you see all the time..

There is just something weird about the others though. There were 3 players with restraining orders on the Hoyas and all 3 of them played on Saturday. It's at best a bad look. And at worst, who knows?

Also you just can not compare Marquette who was very established- having made the tourney 2 of the 3 prior years with Georgetown- who has missed the tourney the last 5 of the last 6 years. This year was looking like it was going to get the Hoyas back in the tourney. Totally stunts all the momentum Ewing had built up in his first 2 years.

Yes and no. No two programs are exactly alike, nor are the conditions of transfers. However, where all transfers are universally similar is that it opens up opportunities for current players and potential recruits. What was clearly evident in the Hausers transfer was that other programs (UW especially) tried to use that as an example that Marquette was a dumpster fire and that it was in a downward spiral. Players are replaceable, and as long as you are recruiting high character, hard working and talent student-athletes, it all balances out in the end.

Georgetown is in a unique situation, definitely. Ewing, not a traditional college coach or recruiter, really needed Akinjo and LaBlanc (and McClung, others) to help build his classes up in order to create a sustained winning program. This is definitely a step back and could delay that process for a year, if not longer. What will be interesting to see with this scandal, and I will not speculate, but how deep does the rabbit hole go, and whether any coach or administrator will ultimately be held responsible as well.

The big wild card is if Ewing, much like Mullin, decides that the recruiting aspect of coaching is just too much, and willingly chooses to return to the NBA as an assistant coach or executive after the season. IMO, I think the relationship with Thompson is too strong for him to bolt after just three years, but perhaps the university will decide to make a clean break altogether. Who knows.

The positive effect is that between Providence, St. John's and, now, Georgetown, the top of the league will be able to get that many more wins. From those three, I think St. John's will be the best of that group by the end of the season, based off of Mike Anderson's track record at prior stops (his teams are always better at the end of the season than at the start, and he has some talent to work with now).

RE: Akinjo and LeBlanc gone - bill dazzle - 12-03-2019 09:50 AM

Every league needs a "bottom third" to allow its mid-third and top-third to maximize effectiveness. Georgetown is now clearly in the BE bottom third. Though bad for GU, this will be helpful to at least five other BE programs (who will almost certainly get wins over the Hoyas).

Personally (and for reasons I cannot disclose due to family privacy considerations) this is disappointing. I like Pat Ewing and enjoy following the Hoyas. I tend to agree a bit more with Stever than Golden Warrior as to the long-term ramifications for the Hoya program — but both make strong points. We might not know the extent of the fallout for a while.

Time to move forward with hope and cautious optimism.

RE: Akinjo and LeBlanc gone - TheBasketBallOpinion - 12-03-2019 10:17 AM

Season is done. Ewing might get fired if he knew which the suspension of LeBlanc for the first game suggests.

RE: Akinjo and LeBlanc gone - stever20 - 12-03-2019 10:18 AM

(12-03-2019 09:42 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  
(12-03-2019 08:38 AM)stever20 Wrote:  

Yes and no. No two programs are exactly alike, nor are the conditions of transfers. However, where all transfers are universally similar is that it opens up opportunities for current players and potential recruits. What was clearly evident in the Hausers transfer was that other programs (UW especially) tried to use that as an example that Marquette was a dumpster fire and that it was in a downward spiral. Players are replaceable, and as long as you are recruiting high character, hard working and talent student-athletes, it all balances out in the end.

Georgetown is in a unique situation, definitely. Ewing, not a traditional college coach or recruiter, really needed Akinjo and LaBlanc (and McClung, others) to help build his classes up in order to create a sustained winning program. This is definitely a step back and could delay that process for a year, if not longer. What will be interesting to see with this scandal, and I will not speculate, but how deep does the rabbit hole go, and whether any coach or administrator will ultimately be held responsible as well.

The big wild card is if Ewing, much like Mullin, decides that the recruiting aspect of coaching is just too much, and willingly chooses to return to the NBA as an assistant coach or executive after the season. IMO, I think the relationship with Thompson is too strong for him to bolt after just three years, but perhaps the university will decide to make a clean break altogether. Who knows.

The positive effect is that between Providence, St. John's and, now, Georgetown, the top of the league will be able to get that many more wins. From those three, I think St. John's will be the best of that group by the end of the season, based off of Mike Anderson's track record at prior stops (his teams are always better at the end of the season than at the start, and he has some talent to work with now).

Yeah I think the question you bring up about how far down does this rabbit hole go is one that for sure bares watching.

At the best for Georgetown- all the progress that Georgetown has had is gone. I don't know about Ewing vs Mullin- Ewing always seems to be so much more engaged than Mullin ever was.

As far as this year- I think Georgetown now is a full fledged dreg. I'm not so sure about Providence or St John's. I think both of those will get a good number of conference wins.

RE: Akinjo and LeBlanc gone - stever20 - 12-03-2019 10:28 AM

(12-03-2019 10:17 AM)TheBasketBallOpinion Wrote:  Season is done. Ewing might get fired if he knew which the suspension of LeBlanc for the first game suggests.

Yeah I agree.... I hope not- I've liked(no loved) Ewing at Georgetown- but this would be way too egregious.

RE: Akinjo and LeBlanc gone - GoldenWarrior11 - 12-03-2019 11:47 AM

https://www.casualhoya.com/2019/12/3/20993616/josh-leblanc-james-akinjo-transfer-dismissed-from-the-georgetown-basketball-program-patrick-ewing

Nice timeline of events from Casual Hoya.

RE: Akinjo and LeBlanc gone - bill dazzle - 12-03-2019 12:46 PM

Reading the details and timeline, this does not look good for Pat Ewing.

That's three coaches (Leitao, Hardaway and Ewing) of programs I cheer for that already this season have engaged in (or potentially did so in the case of Ewing) some unseemliness.

Please stop the madness.

RE: Akinjo and LeBlanc gone - HuskyU - 12-03-2019 01:14 PM

Pretty nasty of Georgetown to include Akinjo's name with the others when he doesn't seem to be involved in any of this.

RE: Akinjo and LeBlanc gone - MU in MKE - 12-03-2019 01:20 PM

(12-03-2019 01:14 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  Pretty nasty of Georgetown to include Akinjo's name with the others when he doesn't seem to be involved in any of this.

Maybe... Maybe not. It is driving me nuts that people are jumping to all kinds of conclusions about the players, program, coach, and school before a lot of information is even out. They're assuming players are guilty, but the full details haven't been disclosed. Others are assuming Akinjo is innocent, but we don't know if anything related to wrong doing by him hasn't been released yet. Others assume the school didn't act fast enough, without knowing what the process was that got them to the point of dismissing players.

There's just so much not known, people need to just sit back and wait before judging the situation and people involved.

RE: Akinjo and LeBlanc gone - stever20 - 12-03-2019 01:32 PM

(12-03-2019 01:20 PM)MU in MKE Wrote:  
(12-03-2019 01:14 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  Pretty nasty of Georgetown to include Akinjo's name with the others when he doesn't seem to be involved in any of this.

Maybe... Maybe not. It is driving me nuts that people are jumping to all kinds of conclusions about the players, program, coach, and school before a lot of information is even out. They're assuming players are guilty, but the full details haven't been disclosed. Others are assuming Akinjo is innocent, but we don't know if anything related to wrong doing by him hasn't been released yet. Others assume the school didn't act fast enough, without knowing what the process was that got them to the point of dismissing players.

There's just so much not known, people need to just sit back and wait before judging the situation and people involved.

totally agree..... Feel like there are still a lot of layers on this onion to peel off....

I do suspect the other 2 guys in the situation will be indefinitely suspended pending investigation. Feels like something that has to happen right now.

RE: Akinjo and LeBlanc gone - GoldenWarrior11 - 12-03-2019 03:32 PM

Statement from AD. Interesting that both Akinjo and LeBlanc are mentioned and linked within the story, but both links go back to their freshman year pages (since their current pages have undoubtedly been removed).

https://guhoyas.com/news/2019/12/3/mens-basketball-message-from-georgetown-athletics.aspx