CSNbbs
Player and Coach of the Year Discussion - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Player and Coach of the Year Discussion (/thread-888179.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Player and Coach of the Year Discussion - EigenEagle - 11-20-2019 11:34 AM

Just because it makes for rousing discussion.

Here's my rankings for player of the year as of now.
1. Kaleb Barker - he has more passing TDs through 10 games than last year's PotY Justice Hansen had in 13, and will probably pass him in yards and QB rating. Being first in the Sun Belt in scoring offense and second in total and YPP offense with what they lost on offense is really impressive.
2. Caleb Evans - Second in passing yards, leads the Belt in rushing yards by a QB. Great year but not quite where Barker is IMO.
3. Dan Ellington - has had a great year, but the injury against ULM will probably take him out of the running. Sucks for him because he's a real competitor and warrior but that's the way it is.
4. Omar Bayless - great year, but receivers usually need to have a crazy year to win the award.

Now for coach of the year (in no particular order).

Shawn Elliott: I think he's done a great job, but IMO he will need to win the last 2 for him to have a shot. Not looking great with Elliott's limitation.

Billy Napier: If he wins the last 2 games and gets to 10 wins in the regular-season, can it really be anyone else? He'll be a shoo-in if that happens, right?

Chad Lunsford and Blake Anderson: Now don't laugh, but both coaches have dealt with a rash or injuries and personal/team tragedies this season so if either manage to win their division either one could get a sympathy vote.

Eliah Drinkwitz: Well, this is where I might tick some App fans off, but even though he's a favorite I don't think 11-1 Drinkwitz should get CotY over 10-2 Napier. Drink beat an SEC team that will finish 4-8 and a probable 5-7 or 6-6 team from an awful ACC. Great. But he's been coasting off the recruiting and development of his predecessor that might be making the turnaround of the year at Louisville this season, and his team's offense has regressed on total offense (6th in the Sun Belt) and YPP offense (4th in the Sun Belt) even as the defenses in the conference haven't been as great across the board. If the 2018 App team was the best in program history as App fans say it is, then it still is today.

RE: Player and Coach of the Year Discussion - Yosef Himself - 11-20-2019 11:40 AM

(11-20-2019 11:34 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Eliah Drinkwitz: Well, this is where I might tick some App fans off, but even though he's a favorite I don't think 11-1 Drinkwitz should get CotY over 10-2 Napier. Drink beat an SEC team that will finish 4-8 and a probable 5-7 or 6-6 team from an awful ACC. Great. But he's been coasting off the recruiting and development of his predecessor that might be making the turnaround of the year at Louisville this season, and his team's offense has regressed on total offense (6th in the Sun Belt) and YPP offense (4th in the Sun Belt) even as the defenses in the conference haven't been as great across the board. If the 2018 App team was the best in program history as App fans say it is, then it still is today.

You're not wrong. But who has 10-2 Bill Napier beat? It wasn't a 4 win Miss St. It wasn't App. Yes, USC is a 4 win team. But App won. ULL might be a 10 win team, which App did beat as well.

Then let's talk about taking over a great team. Our friends at GS will tell you the wrong hire will ruin a great team. Drink took a team where a 3-4 year Satterfield hadn't beaten an SEC team (lost to Tenn in OT) nor ACC team (lost to Wake on a 00:00 blocked field goal). Drink did.

RE: Player and Coach of the Year Discussion - Saint3333 - 11-20-2019 11:50 AM

Barker or Evans are the clear OPOY finalists with Dan's injury.

COY will come down to Napier/Drinkwitz with Anderson as the dark horse for personal reasons. If App wins the next two it's Drink's, if App drops one and ULL wins out it's Napier's, both deserving.
I could see the winner of the award giving it to Anderson as a tribute to his wife and family.

Elliott had a chance until Dan went down.

Also why not use the conference only stats, link is below. App is #3 in total offense (2 in scoring), and 1st in defense (2 in scoring).

If App finishes in the top 25 in the CFB poll isn't going to be hard denying Drink the COY. 2018 vs. 2019 App would be a hell of a game.

https://sunbeltsports_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/fbstats/2019/fb_stats.pdf

RE: Player and Coach of the Year Discussion - TroyFootball05 - 11-20-2019 11:54 AM

I think Drink is the obvious choice. First year head coach that beat two P5 teams at their place. APP is the clear #2 program in the Carolinas behind Clemson.

RE: Player and Coach of the Year Discussion - CardinalBlackTrojan - 11-20-2019 12:05 PM

Coach of the Year: Eli Drinkwitz

Player of the Year: QB Kaleb Barker

Offensive POTY: WR Omar Bayless

Defensive POTY: LB Carlton Martial (arguably the best defensive player in the conference. He has 101 total tackles, 16.5 TFL, 4 sacks, 3 INT's, 3 forced fumbles, 1 TD). He's likely to be named an All-American again this year.

RE: Player and Coach of the Year Discussion - EigenEagle - 11-20-2019 12:16 PM

(11-20-2019 11:40 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  
(11-20-2019 11:34 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Eliah Drinkwitz: Well, this is where I might tick some App fans off, but even though he's a favorite I don't think 11-1 Drinkwitz should get CotY over 10-2 Napier. Drink beat an SEC team that will finish 4-8 and a probable 5-7 or 6-6 team from an awful ACC. Great. But he's been coasting off the recruiting and development of his predecessor that might be making the turnaround of the year at Louisville this season, and his team's offense has regressed on total offense (6th in the Sun Belt) and YPP offense (4th in the Sun Belt) even as the defenses in the conference haven't been as great across the board. If the 2018 App team was the best in program history as App fans say it is, then it still is today.

You're not wrong. But who has 10-2 Bill Napier beat? It wasn't a 4 win Miss St. It wasn't App. Yes, USC is a 4 win team. But App won. ULL might be a 10 win team, which App did beat as well.

Then let's talk about taking over a great team. Our friends at GS will tell you the wrong hire will ruin a great team. Drink took a team where a 3-4 year Satterfield hadn't beaten an SEC team (lost to Tenn in OT) nor ACC team (lost to Wake on a 00:00 blocked field goal). Drink did.

9-4 Tennessee team
8-5 Wake Forest team
9-4 Penn State
5-7 or 6-6 UNC team
4-8 USC team

It's clear which coach got the easier P5 games.

RE: Player and Coach of the Year Discussion - Yosef Himself - 11-20-2019 12:19 PM

Did Napier beat a 4 win Miss State "at home" in the dome?

nope.

RE: Player and Coach of the Year Discussion - debragga - 11-20-2019 12:36 PM

(11-20-2019 12:19 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  Did Napier beat a 4 win Miss State "at home" in the dome?

nope.

That game brought them to 0-46 vs. the SEC.

You hate to see it

RE: Player and Coach of the Year Discussion - CardinalBlackTrojan - 11-20-2019 01:36 PM

(11-20-2019 12:36 PM)debragga Wrote:  
(11-20-2019 12:19 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  Did Napier beat a 4 win Miss State "at home" in the dome?

nope.

You hate to see it

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: Player and Coach of the Year Discussion - ericsaid - 11-20-2019 01:40 PM

(11-20-2019 11:34 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Just because it makes for rousing discussion.

Here's my rankings for player of the year as of now.
1. Kaleb Barker - he has more passing TDs through 10 games than last year's PotY Justice Hansen had in 13, and will probably pass him in yards and QB rating. Being first in the Sun Belt in scoring offense and second in total and YPP offense with what they lost on offense is really impressive.
2. Caleb Evans - Second in passing yards, leads the Belt in rushing yards by a QB. Great year but not quite where Barker is IMO.
3. Dan Ellington - has had a great year, but the injury against ULM will probably take him out of the running. Sucks for him because he's a real competitor and warrior but that's the way it is.
4. Omar Bayless - great year, but receivers usually need to have a crazy year to win the award.

Now for coach of the year (in no particular order).

Shawn Elliott: I think he's done a great job, but IMO he will need to win the last 2 for him to have a shot. Not looking great with Elliott's limitation.

Billy Napier: If he wins the last 2 games and gets to 10 wins in the regular-season, can it really be anyone else? He'll be a shoo-in if that happens, right?

Chad Lunsford and Blake Anderson: Now don't laugh, but both coaches have dealt with a rash or injuries and personal/team tragedies this season so if either manage to win their division either one could get a sympathy vote.

Eliah Drinkwitz: Well, this is where I might tick some App fans off, but even though he's a favorite I don't think 11-1 Drinkwitz should get CotY over 10-2 Napier. Drink beat an SEC team that will finish 4-8 and a probable 5-7 or 6-6 team from an awful ACC. Great. But he's been coasting off the recruiting and development of his predecessor that might be making the turnaround of the year at Louisville this season, and his team's offense has regressed on total offense (6th in the Sun Belt) and YPP offense (4th in the Sun Belt) even as the defenses in the conference haven't been as great across the board. If the 2018 App team was the best in program history as App fans say it is, then it still is today.

Really trying to qualify App's 2019 run by discarding these wins? So what if UNC is a 6-6 team? So what if USC is a 4-8 team? App won the games that they should have won.

If you look at the accomplishments of rankings and the relative maintenance of the program despite changing the offensive scheme to something that is completely different, while beating two P5 teams, you have a Coach of the Year.

It wasn't a Year 0, by any means. But a reset by changing schemes and coaching staff's while having better overall results is only something a Southern fan could downplay.

RE: Player and Coach of the Year Discussion - ericsaid - 11-20-2019 01:41 PM

(11-20-2019 12:16 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  
(11-20-2019 11:40 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  

9-4 Tennessee team
8-5 Wake Forest team
9-4 Penn State
5-7 or 6-6 UNC team
4-8 USC team

It's clear which coach got the easier P5 games.

But he isn't running against Satterfield for Coach of the Year, or Coach of the Program. Running against other Sun Belt coaches, Drinkwitz is going to win.

RE: Player and Coach of the Year Discussion - eaglewraith - 11-20-2019 01:50 PM

Well when a first year coach took a 2-10 team to 10-3 apparently didn't sniff Coach of the Year, I have no idea what it takes to win that award.

This whole thing is equivalent to someone winning Homecoming King at this point. Seeing what happened last year, it's pointless to apply any real logic to this.

It'll be Drink cause that's the easy call. Unless Napier wins the conference.

RE: Player and Coach of the Year Discussion - ericsaid - 11-20-2019 02:01 PM

(11-20-2019 01:50 PM)eaglewraith Wrote:  Well when a first year coach took a 2-10 team to 10-3 apparently didn't sniff Coach of the Year, I have no idea what it takes to win that award.

This whole thing is equivalent to someone winning Homecoming King at this point. Seeing what happened last year, it's pointless to apply any real logic to this.

Lundsford could still win it if App doesn't take care of business and Georgia Southern does.

The issue, as it stands now, is that it's a beauty contest. App is prettiest right now because of the Top 25 rankings and P5 wins. That could change by November 30th.

RE: Player and Coach of the Year Discussion - Hail The Blue - 11-20-2019 02:12 PM

Drink should 100% be coach of the year... he was handed the keys to an 11 win team and will likely win another 10-11 games. Takes a lot of coaching to pull that off.

RE: Player and Coach of the Year Discussion - balanced_view - 11-20-2019 02:31 PM

(11-20-2019 02:01 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  
(11-20-2019 01:50 PM)eaglewraith Wrote:  Well when a first year coach took a 2-10 team to 10-3 apparently didn't sniff Coach of the Year, I have no idea what it takes to win that award.

Lundsford could still win it if App doesn't take care of business and Georgia Southern does.

The issue, as it stands now, is that it's a beauty contest. App is prettiest right now because of the Top 25 rankings and P5 wins. That could change by November 30th.

this might be the most accurate. but when is it voted on? before or after the CCG? if voted on after the CCG, the winning teams coach could get it.

RE: Player and Coach of the Year Discussion - Saint3333 - 11-20-2019 02:35 PM

I think they should wait until after the title game. Pretty important to decide which is truly better.

RE: Player and Coach of the Year Discussion - TheOriginalBigApp - 11-20-2019 02:43 PM

(11-20-2019 12:36 PM)debragga Wrote:  

nope.

You hate to see it

I laughed waaay too hard at this....nice one!

RE: Player and Coach of the Year Discussion - EigenEagle - 11-20-2019 02:46 PM

(11-20-2019 01:41 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  But he isn't running against Satterfield for Coach of the Year, or Coach of the Program. Running against other Sun Belt coaches, Drinkwitz is going to win.

Question: In what aspects do you think App is better as a team this season than last year?

"We're ranked for more weeks than we were last year" is not answer. I've been saying on this board for years that we (as a conference) needed to get some more winnable P5 games on the schedule we get teams in the AP Poll and the Access Bowl conversation. You can't tell me some of the G5 teams that have finished the season ranked over the years were better than last year's App team that didn't finish ranked or that Satt wouldn't beat both of those Carolina teams with. We like to think schedule doesn't matter for these things, but they do.

Furthermore, IMO it's the "Coach of the Year Award" and not "Coach of the Best Team" award for a reason. Billy Napier's offense is better statistically with not as good a QB and his defense isn't as athletic as App's is.

RE: Player and Coach of the Year Discussion - EagleNationRising - 11-20-2019 02:55 PM

(11-20-2019 11:54 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  I think Drink is the obvious choice. First year head coach that beat two P5 teams at their place. APP is the clear #2 program in the Carolinas behind Clemson.

Not sure about that. Wake Forest may edge them out this year, but #2 is definitely between those two programs at this time.

RE: Player and Coach of the Year Discussion - Saint3333 - 11-20-2019 02:57 PM

Clock management without a doubt.

I'd also argue the SBC is better overall in 2019 than 2018, the OOC record supports that.