CSNbbs
FGCU football?? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: FGCU football?? (/thread-887880.html)

Pages: 1 2

FGCU football?? - lion1983 - 11-17-2019 10:31 AM

https://mobile.twitter.com/CRivers74/status/1194846216749748224/photo/1

Anyone know anything about this?

RE: FGCU football?? - MWC Tex - 11-17-2019 10:43 AM

They have a club football team.
https://fgcuclubfootball.org/

Here is some info about NCFA (a national organization for club football).
https://www.ncfafootball.org/

Not sure if they are the only organization for this.

RE: FGCU football?? - Wolfman - 11-17-2019 11:04 AM

That tweet doesn't say much. Was he offered a spot on the club team? A scholarship? If so, what sport?

RE: FGCU football?? - lion1983 - 11-17-2019 11:45 AM

I know they have club football, it gave me the impression of scholarship to play, so I was wondering if they are about to announce they are starting FCS football.

RE: FGCU football?? - BePcr07 - 11-17-2019 01:00 PM

The wording leads people to believe it’s a scholarship offer. After some searching, this year is only their 2nd year with a club team and there is no intent (visible online) to develop a FCS team. He probably got an offer to join the club team and posted that. He either didn’t intend for it to come across that way or maybe he did.

RE: FGCU football?? - DoubleRSU - 11-17-2019 03:04 PM

Surprised Davey hasn’t jumped on this and has had Sun Belt visions

RE: FGCU football?? - whittx - 11-17-2019 03:26 PM

Doubt it will happen for a long time. School is less than 25 years old and the Title IX needs would require several teams added.

RE: FGCU football?? - Cyniclone - 11-17-2019 04:30 PM

Or he could just be screwing around by announcing offers from non-existent programs. We'll know for sure if he gets offered by other schools without NCAA football like VCU, Marquette or Rutgers.

RE: FGCU football?? - Fighting Muskie - 11-17-2019 05:00 PM

Cyniclone—that Rutgers burn was rough! Ouch.

RE: FGCU football?? - lion1983 - 11-17-2019 05:13 PM

(11-17-2019 04:30 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  Or he could just be screwing around by announcing offers from non-existent programs. We'll know for sure if he gets offered by other schools without NCAA football like VCU, Marquette or Rutgers.

04-cheers

RE: FGCU football?? - Mav - 11-17-2019 07:29 PM

His Hudl video actually has his name as Cheeseburger Rivers. Someone should offer him for the nickname alone.

RE: FGCU football?? - The Cutter of Bish - 11-17-2019 09:37 PM

(11-17-2019 03:26 PM)whittx Wrote:  Doubt it will happen for a long time. School is less than 25 years old and the Title IX needs would require several teams added.

They’ve already studied viability, though. They and UNF know it will happen for them. Just a matter of when.

RE: FGCU football?? - Frank the Tank - 11-18-2019 10:48 AM

(11-17-2019 09:37 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  
(11-17-2019 03:26 PM)whittx Wrote:  Doubt it will happen for a long time. School is less than 25 years old and the Title IX needs would require several teams added.

They’ve already studied viability, though. They and UNF know it will happen for them. Just a matter of when.

I have long been bullish on FGCU on many metrics (both for basketball and as a future football program). It's located in one of the fastest growing metro areas and best per capita recruiting regions in the country with an affluent population and no direct in-market pro or college sports competition (although UF, FSU and Miami all have strong fan bases there). To the extent that anyone will add a Division I football program in the near future, I agree that both FGCU and UNF (also located in a fast growing metro area) will be at the top of the list.

RE: FGCU football?? - Fighting Muskie - 11-18-2019 08:09 PM

I wonder if the Nigerian princess who invited him to come play football for FGCU also asked for his bank account and routing number so she could deposit the scholarship money in it?

All kidding aside, down the road I think UNF and FGCU could put together solid FCS programs

RE: FGCU football?? - lion1983 - 11-19-2019 08:10 AM

(11-18-2019 08:09 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I wonder if the Nigerian princess who invited him to come play football for FGCU also asked for his bank account and routing number so she could deposit the scholarship money in it?

All kidding aside, down the road I think UNF and FGCU could put together solid FCS programs

I think they could as well. I guess that is what I'm hoping for since UNA is in the same conference, having them play football would strengthen the Big South (football) tremendously.

RE: FGCU football?? - Yosef Himself - 11-19-2019 09:46 AM

Any chance on Stetson and Jacksonville ever issuing out scholarships and moving out of the Pioneer to the Big South? If UNF and FGCU both started scholy football, and JU and Stetson step up, then the ASun could give the Big South the middle finger and have their own football.

RE: FGCU football?? - lion1983 - 11-19-2019 10:00 PM

(11-19-2019 09:46 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  Any chance on Stetson and Jacksonville ever issuing out scholarships and moving out of the Pioneer to the Big South? If UNF and FGCU both started scholy football, and JU and Stetson step up, then the ASun could give the Big South the middle finger and have their own football.

I wish, but Stetson AD told me via email, because I was just wondering if that was a possibility after the ASUN/Big South deal was set. He said a hard no. They have no aspirations for scholarship football. I have no idea about JU.

And I imagine, if JU decided to play scholarship football, Stetson wouldn't be too far behind. It's got to be just as cheap to play scholarship ball vs playing in a nation wide Pioneer League.

But even if all 4 Asun Florida schools played scholarship football, with UNA and KSU, that's just 6 schools. You have to have 7 to get AQ in the playoffs. Liberty is set on FBS, so Lipscomb or Bellarmine would have to start football as well or get an associate football member, and that would be hard to find in our region.

RE: FGCU football?? - TDenverFan - 11-19-2019 11:14 PM

(11-19-2019 10:00 PM)lion1983 Wrote:  
(11-19-2019 09:46 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  Any chance on Stetson and Jacksonville ever issuing out scholarships and moving out of the Pioneer to the Big South? If UNF and FGCU both started scholy football, and JU and Stetson step up, then the ASun could give the Big South the middle finger and have their own football.

I wish, but Stetson AD told me via email, because I was just wondering if that was a possibility after the ASUN/Big South deal was set. He said a hard no. They have no aspirations for scholarship football. I have no idea about JU.

And I imagine, if JU decided to play scholarship football, Stetson wouldn't be too far behind. It's got to be just as cheap to play scholarship ball vs playing in a nation wide Pioneer League.

But even if all 4 Asun Florida schools played scholarship football, with UNA and KSU, that's just 6 schools. You have to have 7 to get AQ in the playoffs. Liberty is set on FBS, so Lipscomb or Bellarmine would have to start football as well or get an associate football member, and that would be hard to find in our region.

Not even close.

Let's say the the average scholarship is just 20k (Assuming football players are on other financial aid or something, so they already don't pay full tuition), with 63 scholarships that's well over $1.2 million per year. They'll basically have 4 road PFL games a year - and some of those are to teams like Jacksonville, Morehead, Davidson, and Presbyterian - which would be about the same distance as Big South teams. They really only have 2 or 3 big trips a year - if they bring 100 people, and spend 1k per person (And that's probably on the high end, I'd guess they have some sort of travel discounts), that's like ~300k per year on travel, far less than the scholarships.

They'd also have to add 63 women's scholarships, which probably involves adding another sport or two, and a few more million in costs.

They might be able to get football buy games out of it, but for FCS teams those are like 350k, which won't offset the cost.

RE: FGCU football?? - The Cutter of Bish - 11-20-2019 01:02 AM

I would ask what the ceiling is for a FGCU, though. And I suspect that Big South won’t be enough to get them to jump.

I can’t help but think about how some of the politics in FCS helped make FBS happen for schools like Coastal and Liberty, who may have settled (at least for a bit) in SoCon or CAA/F if there was favor. Coastal scored big time with Sun Belt, and Liberty simply refused to “stay down.” For UNF and FGCU, I could see both getting stuck in Coastal’s old boat, and that being enough to keep the subject tabled.

Barring Sun Belt getting poached and a renewed need for FL schools, the urgency isn’t there yet. And I think either of the F*U’s could make a return trip to Sun Belt, further impacting such a move.

Even though the football is good in these states, really, what’s the ceiling?

RE: FGCU football?? - DavidSt - 11-20-2019 02:12 AM

Imagine the ASun gets Florida Tech and West Florida to move up? Bellarmine is looking at another conference that their goal is. NJIT looking to go elsewhere. Lipscomb could be picked. You could get a southeast A-Sun football conference in Alabama, Florida and Georgia. Get the 2 MEAC Florida schools and South Carolina State could help as well.