CSNbbs
CHILDERS V. BOWERS - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: CHILDERS V. BOWERS (/thread-886134.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

CHILDERS V. BOWERS - Jb 94' - 10-28-2019 04:42 PM

For the first time in a long time, we have 2 quarterbacks, who are playing well. So much in fact you can make a case that they are almost interchangeable.

Now they go about their business in totally different fashions. Childers, can beat you with his legs, and Bowers with his arm. Childers, can do it through the air, Bowers cannot do it on the ground (other then TD flips)

My preference to start on Saturday will be Childers. With that said, I feel confident with Bowers as well..guess it is a judgement call. It's funny, when Hammock said it was too close to call in camp, I dismissed this as coach speak. However 8 weeks into it, I do not feel there is much separation between the two. Also, both guys are team players, and play their hearts out.

So I went back to look at their numbers, and this is what they come up as :

Bowers - 413 - 710. 4,821. 23. 17

Childers - 412 - 702. 4,101. 35. 15

Note, Childers has 1,200 yards rushing, and Bowers (negative 200)

I feel Childers should start the last 4 games instead of Bowers, he will get sacked less, picked less, adds a second dimension, and plays better in the cold weather.
None of this is meant to knock Bowers. Totally different qb's both who bring something to the table in a positive manner...Go Huskies

RE: CHILDERS V. BOWERS - RedandBlackAttack - 10-28-2019 05:42 PM

Lmao

RE: CHILDERS V. BOWERS - JoeNovak - 10-28-2019 05:56 PM

It’s pretty simple. Bowers is better passing QB. Childers better runner. Use them both in certain situations and it gives opponents a hard time to prepare. Example: use Childers in the red zone/goal line situations. Bowers would be the #1 obviously. If you want to consistently win games, especially in the MAC on Tuesday nights when it’s snowing you need an element of running.

RE: CHILDERS V. BOWERS - badmoonrising13 - 10-28-2019 06:27 PM

Bowers wins the Miami-Ohio game...

RE: CHILDERS V. BOWERS - HOF 08 - 10-28-2019 06:29 PM

I agree a lot with the previous thread but if I had to choose one or the other I would want to see MC against the same level of competition Bowers has faced and not judge him on Akron and limited other playing time.

CHILDERS V. BOWERS - Dog Fan - 10-28-2019 07:06 PM

Use them both at the same time. Set Bowers as the QB and Childers as a RB. Can you imagine the nightmare the defense would have?

RE: CHILDERS V. BOWERS - pvk75 - 10-28-2019 08:10 PM

(10-28-2019 07:06 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  Use them both at the same time. Set Bowers as the QB and Childers as a RB. Can you imagine the nightmare the defense would have?

I suggested that on another thread a few weeks ago and was ignored. This time around, will not let another poster suffer the same fate for a good idea. Add Childers to the Bowers+Harbison backfield and you have threats of running or passing all over the place. Also, you don't have to tip the defense by making changes, and your concern about changing weather is minimized. The only question is whether Childers can block if need be.

RE: CHILDERS V. BOWERS - JB04 - 10-28-2019 08:38 PM

(10-28-2019 06:29 PM)HOF 08 Wrote:  I agree a lot with the previous thread but if I had to choose one or the other I would want to see MC against the same level of competition Bowers has faced and not judge him on Akron and limited other playing time.

This is accurate. Bowers played much harder competition thus far. Eye test is Bowers. No doubt about it. Definitely mix in Childers even with a pass now and then...but pocket awareness and throwing goes to Bowers. Honestly, if our running backs and Oline played a bit better this half of the season, Bowers would look like a stud

RE: CHILDERS V. BOWERS - Jb 94' - 10-28-2019 08:57 PM

Agreed entirely, however Bowers is more likely to turn the ball over, and take sacks. Also he cannot extend plays, and defenders can sit back, and wait, as they know he will deliver a pass.

Both good qb's..can't compare them, as its apples to oranges, not apples to apples. Preety subjective, I guess based on if you believe the offense should stay conservative, or we need to open up.

Not for playing them simultaneously..but cool with playing the hot hand. Both guys seemed to respect one another, and the team seems to respond to both as well. Not a polarizing situation..Go Huskies

RE: CHILDERS V. BOWERS - HuskiePride12 - 10-28-2019 09:09 PM

Either way kinda gives us a leg up for CMU as they have to prep for both. Would love to see a couple packages with Childers in there and throwing on a couple of them after setting up with him running.

RE: CHILDERS V. BOWERS - MGMFIN86 - 10-28-2019 10:13 PM

Use them both. Lynch would come in on running situations when Harnish was QB

RE: CHILDERS V. BOWERS - NIU007 - 10-29-2019 08:15 AM

(10-28-2019 08:57 PM)Jb 94 Wrote:  Agreed entirely, however Bowers is more likely to turn the ball over, and take sacks. Also he cannot extend plays, and defenders can sit back, and wait, as they know he will deliver a pass.

Both good qb's..can't compare them, as its apples to oranges, not apples to apples. Preety subjective, I guess based on if you believe the offense should stay conservative, or we need to open up.

Not for playing them simultaneously..but cool with playing the hot hand. Both guys seemed to respect one another, and the team seems to respond to both as well. Not a polarizing situation..Go Huskies

Childers took a boatload of sacks last year. And he's mostly played against Akron. I would start Bowers and put Childers in situationally.

RE: CHILDERS V. BOWERS - NILAW - 10-29-2019 09:49 AM

(10-29-2019 08:15 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  
(10-28-2019 08:57 PM)Jb 94 Wrote:  Agreed entirely, however Bowers is more likely to turn the ball over, and take sacks. Also he cannot extend plays, and defenders can sit back, and wait, as they know he will deliver a pass.

Childers took a boatload of sacks last year. And he's mostly played against Akron. I would start Bowers and put Childers in situationally.

This is correct about Childers taking a ton of sacks last year. Also, in 2018 Childers threw 10 picks on 397 attempts, and this year Bowers has thrown 5 picks on 232 attempts. Add in the 4 of 10 fumbles lost by Childers and it is as incorrect to say that Bowers is more likely to turn the ball over as saying Childers can do it with his arm.

I agree with what appears to be the majority view - start Bowers and use Childers situationally.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2018-passing.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2019-passing.html

RE: CHILDERS V. BOWERS - Jb 94' - 10-29-2019 11:19 AM

If only for the sake of accuracy, and clarification here you go ...this is solo posted as a response to your previous post:

Bowers - 710 attempts 17 picks. 23 touchdowns

Childers - 702 attempts - 15 picks. 35 touchdowns

Bowers - (-) 228 rushing yards

Childers - ( t) - 1,1148 yards[/i]

RE: CHILDERS V. BOWERS - NIU1981 - 10-29-2019 01:31 PM

One thing Bowers could definitely improve on is his INTs. He's good for about one a game where he throws it right to the other guy.

For the record I like both QBs and I'm in the start Bowers and utilize Childers camp. Especially utilize Childers when the weather is bad. Also, go with the hot hand. Whoever generates points can play a little more in that particular game. It can reverse the next game and that's fine.

They also may want to consider using Childers late in games with the lead just to protect Bowers. I don't know how many shots he can take so limiting those seems like a good idea. Let Childers do the Cam Stingily clock killing thing.

RE: CHILDERS V. BOWERS - MiamiHuskie - 10-29-2019 02:43 PM

(10-29-2019 01:31 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  One thing Bowers could definitely improve on is his INTs. He's good for about one a game where he throws it right to the other guy.

For the record I like both QBs and I'm in the start Bowers and utilize Childers camp. Especially utilize Childers when the weather is bad. Also, go with the hot hand. Whoever generates points can play a little more in that particular game. It can reverse the next game and that's fine.

They also may want to consider using Childers late in games with the lead just to protect Bowers. I don't know how many shots he can take so limiting those seems like a good idea. Let Childers do the Cam Stingily clock killing thing.

I left the game after NIU got to 35-0. Did Thompson ever get any reps? Seemed like it would be the perfect time.

RE: CHILDERS V. BOWERS - Suptroop - 10-29-2019 02:54 PM

(10-29-2019 02:43 PM)MiamiHuskie Wrote:  
(10-29-2019 01:31 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  One thing Bowers could definitely improve on is his INTs. He's good for about one a game where he throws it right to the other guy.

I left the game after NIU got to 35-0. Did Thompson ever get any reps? Seemed like it would be the perfect time.

He did I think on the last two drives. Looked like Hammock laid into him after the victory formation for some reason.

RE: CHILDERS V. BOWERS - NIU1981 - 10-29-2019 02:58 PM

Thompson was going to take a knee with more than 40 seconds left which would have required an extra snap. Coach held him up and then let him have it afterward. I think he was wet, cold and miserable at that point.

RE: CHILDERS V. BOWERS - MiamiHuskie - 10-29-2019 05:41 PM

(10-29-2019 02:58 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  Thompson was going to take a knee with more than 40 seconds left which would have required an extra snap. Coach held him up and then let him have it afterward. I think he was wet, cold and miserable at that point.

Being up 49-0 with 40 seconds left is the time to make a mental error and get called on it. He'll learn, and he needs some game experience.

Bowers took a shot at Miami and the announcers said he'd been on concussion protocol all week. Between that and the weather, it was a great game for CHilders to start. But you're always one hit away from having to bring in another QB. Thompson should be always be ready.

RE: CHILDERS V. BOWERS - NIU1981 - 10-29-2019 08:38 PM

I may be overthinking this but Coach Hammock, who never divulges anything about players' availability, came right out and said he expects to have Bowers back this week. That leads me to believe he's not playing. Psych!