CSNbbs
AAC Waiver Approved - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: AAC Waiver Approved (/thread-885396.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: AAC Waiver Approved - BCSvsBS - 06-01-2021 05:51 PM

(06-01-2021 05:41 PM)schmolik Wrote:  
(06-01-2021 03:56 PM)BCSvsBS Wrote:  I believe this is nothing to do about nothing. It's pure Balderdash!

Face it, I'm tired of all the dead season "Conference Expansion" threads just to pass the time. I'll believe it when it happens. 05-mafia

And you're on this board why??

Just finding my way through the last wisps of a low smoldering flame.
05-deadhorse

RE: AAC Waiver Approved - IWokeUpLikeThis - 06-01-2021 06:04 PM

(06-01-2021 03:56 PM)BCSvsBS Wrote:  I believe this is nothing to do about nothing. It's pure Balderdash!

Face it, I'm tired of all the dead season "Conference Expansion" threads just to pass the time. I'll believe it when it happens. 05-mafia

There are a lot of hot air threads that are nothing but someone’s fantasies - no doubt - but this rumor is from a credible source with a track record.

RE: AAC Waiver Approved - goofus - 06-01-2021 06:16 PM

In order for the AAC to sell this this expansion plan to all 14 teams, I believe for football the AAC will need to go with a division-less plan with each team getting 3 permanent rivals and then play the other 10 teams 50% of the time in a 8-game conference schedule.

Then have the top 2 teams make the CCG, which means the NCAA will be changing the rules permantly for who can play in the football CCG.

RE: AAC Waiver Approved - Attackcoog - 06-01-2021 06:27 PM

(06-01-2021 06:16 PM)goofus Wrote:  In order for the AAC to sell this this expansion plan to all 14 teams, I believe for football the AAC will need to go with a division-less plan with each team getting 3 permanent rivals and then play the other 10 teams 50% of the time in a 8-game conference schedule.

Then have the top 2 teams make the CCG, which means the NCAA will be changing the rules permantly for who can play in the football CCG.

If the rule is changing, then there is absolutely no reason for the AAC to do anything.

AAC Waiver Approved - blazr - 06-01-2021 06:47 PM

(06-01-2021 06:27 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(06-01-2021 06:16 PM)goofus Wrote:  In order for the AAC to sell this this expansion plan to all 14 teams, I believe for football the AAC will need to go with a division-less plan with each team getting 3 permanent rivals and then play the other 10 teams 50% of the time in a 8-game conference schedule.

If the rule is changing, then there is absolutely no reason for the AAC to do anything.

But a ton of options to ponder for ALL other conferences...including P5s. It’s already clear that CCG games have no impact on “playoff” decisions. As for G5s, why split the pie more than 9 ways?

It’s a HUGE Pandora’s box to open and would turn the next realignment into complete chaos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: AAC Waiver Approved - BCSvsBS - 06-01-2021 07:02 PM

(06-01-2021 06:04 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  

There are a lot of hot air threads that are nothing but someone’s fantasies - no doubt - but this rumor is from a credible source with a track record.

Have you read his previous articles?

It's as if someone (A child perhaps), hacked his account and typed that post. It's not at all his style; Sloppy, numerous misspelled words. Mixed up Conference name. It's just wrong.

RE: AAC Waiver Approved - quo vadis - 06-01-2021 07:11 PM

(06-01-2021 06:04 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  

Thing is, though, the rumor isn't that the three western schools are looking to join the AAC. If it was, then that would be something. The rumor seems to be that Aresco has formulated a plan to pursue them.

In fact, the Jersey Guy article (see post 294) doesn't even claim Aresco has any such plan. The money quote I see from the post is:

" ... which is why sources throughout the AAC say that Aresco is not ruling out any plan which could get the ACC a seat at the adult table."

Well that's nothing new. We all know that, presumably, Aresco is trying to position the AAC as a "power" league for the CFP re-up in a few years.

And JG doesn't even say Aresco actually is pursuing a plan involving the three MW schools. JG then goes on to propose a plan that *he thinks* might be along the lines of what Aresco should do - invite the three western schools. So as far as I can tell, JM isn't even claiming Aresco has such a plan. It's just his speculation.

And anyway, I can formulate a plan to invite Kate Upton and Monica Belluci to visit me in my bedroom, but that doesn't mean they are interested.

So I tend to be with "BCSvsBS" on this one - there's not enough smoke here to warrant calling out the firemen. Not yet at least. And yeah, I know this is a "realignment" board, LOL.

RE: AAC Waiver Approved - ken d - 06-01-2021 07:43 PM

(06-01-2021 03:44 PM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  
(06-01-2021 02:38 PM)ken d Wrote:  

A MWC without Boise, San Diego State, and Colorado State is much less attractive to the Texas 4. Should the MWC lose Boise, SDSU, and CSU, their conference strength and media deal will be significantly reduced. UTEP might still be interested, but Rice, North Texas, and UTSA would probably be better off staying in C-USA.

I agree. An MW without those three school would basically be the WAC of 10 years ago, a collapsing conference.

I think it more likely the remainder shuffle off to other conferences than that the remainder could take teams from CUSA or any other G5.
[/quote]

There really aren't any other conferences they could shuffle off to. They would still be a viable conference with 9 FB members and 8 all sports members. Any Texas schools they might add would weaken the MWC even more than they already were. They wouldn't be a collapsing conference because the MWC would still be by far the best option for all the remaining schools.
[/quote]

I disagree. A MWC without Boise, Colorado State, and San Diego State would be seriously weakened, and the majority of that conference would be no better than any combination of the Texas 4. Plus for a Texas program, conferencing in a division with Air Force, New Mexico, and Wyoming, isn't more impressive or convenient than being in a division with Southern Miss, LA Tech, and UAB. The money and exposure would have to be better than what C-USA has or the MWC would have a hard time luring Texas programs from C-USA.
[/quote]

The five year average strength rankings (out of 130 FBS schools) of the schools we have been discussing look like this. The ones in blue are the reputed defectors from the MWC, and the ones in red are the potential additions.

32....Boise State
51....San Diego State

65....Air Force
74....Utah State
84....Wyoming
85....Fresno State
92....Colorado State
97....Nevada
105..New Mexico
106..Hawaii
110..UNLV
111..North Texas
115..San Jose State
117..UTSA
125..NMSU
126..Rice
129..Texas State
130..UTEP

Seems to me if you are looking to add somebody you should be aiming a little higher.

RE: AAC Waiver Approved - Fresno Fanatic - 06-01-2021 11:02 PM

Wasn’t the P5 pushing for deregulation? Might have been just SEC, I’m not exactly sure.

If so, this mega-AAC with a coast to coast tv deal would be intriguing. Now, the western schools would get more tv revenue than currently, but, not as much as the eastern and central schools. Except maybe BYU and maybe-maybe Boise.

Pacific: Hawaii/Gonzaga, Fresno, San Dog, UNLV, Nevada, Boise

Mountain: USU, BYU, Wyo, CSU, AFA, New Mexico

Central: Navy/WSU, Tulsa, SMU, Houston, Tulane, Memphis

East: Army/VCU, Temple, Cincy, ECU, UCF, USF

This AAC would definitely get their own NYD Bowl (7th). Due to 24 decent sized fan bases’ eyeballs watching that bowl.

For basketball and oly sports it would be just 2 12-team divisions (east and west), so maybe to get Gonzaga to bite, add a good catholic school like St Louis instead of VCU.

And maybe UTEP instead of USU. with the money and greater fanbase potential, UTEP could rise in football and basketball. And UTEP doesn’t mess with Tulsa/SMU/Houston Texas high school recruiting as much as UTSA would.

RE: AAC Waiver Approved - DavidSt - 06-02-2021 02:02 AM

AAC West:
BYU
Boise State
Air Force/Gonzaga
Colorado State
UNR
San Diego State
UNR

AAC Central:
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Tulane
Navy/Wichita State
Memphis
UTSA

AAC East:
UCF
USF
ECU
Temple
Cincinnati
ODU
Army/VCU

Air Force, Army and Navy are football only. You get 21 football schools, but then you got the best of the rest in both money sports as well which you could get an AAC Network going which could sell better cross country than the Longhorn Network, ACC, SEC, and the Big 10

RE: AAC Waiver Approved - The Cutter of Bish - 06-02-2021 05:01 AM

I would bet on Rice going back west even with a gutted MWC. I think they view themselves more western than eastern. Probably don’t care for the caliber of schools in the CUSA of today than what it once was with the likes of its former SWC brethren, Tulane, and Tulsa. But good luck getting an AAC sniff any time soon.

RE: AAC Waiver Approved - esayem - 06-02-2021 08:06 AM

(06-02-2021 05:01 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  I would bet on Rice going back west even with a gutted MWC. I think they view themselves more western than eastern. Probably don’t care for the caliber of schools in the CUSA of today than what it once was with the likes of its former SWC brethren, Tulane, and Tulsa. But good luck getting an AAC sniff any time soon.

I think Rice would be a shoe-in if Houston were invited to the Big XII. Think about which schools would be left voting in the West division.

*and I agree Rice would jump at an MWC invite, whether Boise State, SDSU, and Colorado St. were involved or not.

RE: AAC Waiver Approved - esayem - 06-02-2021 08:13 AM

(06-01-2021 07:43 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(06-01-2021 03:44 PM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  
(06-01-2021 02:38 PM)ken d Wrote:  

A MWC without Boise, San Diego State, and Colorado State is much less attractive to the Texas 4. Should the MWC lose Boise, SDSU, and CSU, their conference strength and media deal will be significantly reduced. UTEP might still be interested, but Rice, North Texas, and UTSA would probably be better off staying in C-USA.

I agree. An MW without those three school would basically be the WAC of 10 years ago, a collapsing conference.

I think it more likely the remainder shuffle off to other conferences than that the remainder could take teams from CUSA or any other G5.

There really aren't any other conferences they could shuffle off to. They would still be a viable conference with 9 FB members and 8 all sports members. Any Texas schools they might add would weaken the MWC even more than they already were. They wouldn't be a collapsing conference because the MWC would still be by far the best option for all the remaining schools.
[/quote]

I disagree. A MWC without Boise, Colorado State, and San Diego State would be seriously weakened, and the majority of that conference would be no better than any combination of the Texas 4. Plus for a Texas program, conferencing in a division with Air Force, New Mexico, and Wyoming, isn't more impressive or convenient than being in a division with Southern Miss, LA Tech, and UAB. The money and exposure would have to be better than what C-USA has or the MWC would have a hard time luring Texas programs from C-USA.
[/quote]

The five year average strength rankings (out of 130 FBS schools) of the schools we have been discussing look like this. The ones in blue are the reputed defectors from the MWC, and the ones in red are the potential additions.

32....Boise State
51....San Diego State

65....Air Force
74....Utah State
84....Wyoming
85....Fresno State
92....Colorado State
97....Nevada
105..New Mexico
106..Hawaii
110..UNLV
111..North Texas
115..San Jose State
117..UTSA
125..NMSU
126..Rice
129..Texas State
130..UTEP

Seems to me if you are looking to add somebody you should be aiming a little higher.
[/quote]

SDSU was garbage for like 10 or 12 years before their run while Fresno State was knocking off teams like USC. I take the last five years with a grain of salt. Also, Colorado St. is only valued for their potential, not anything they’ve ever accomplished.

Boise State is a true renegade MWC outlier and the conference will be better without them in regards to unity.

RE: AAC Waiver Approved - quo vadis - 06-02-2021 08:19 AM

(06-02-2021 08:13 AM)esayem Wrote:  Boise State is a true renegade MWC outlier and the conference will be better without them in regards to unity.

What makes Boise difficult is:

1) They are clearly well-known nationally, they have that cachet. They are clearly more valuable in a brand sense than any other MW program, arguably any G5 program.

2) Their cachet has fallen somewhat in recent years, as have their results. They seem to be on the decline.

3) Of course, Boise wants others to focus on #1, and not so much on #2.

So .... whether it is interacting with the MW (we deserve a lot more money) or the AAC (take our entire athletic program or no deal), Boise carries themselves like a kind of prima donna.

Problem is, others see that they are apparently in decline, and so aren't so eager to totally accommodate them. That's why there are loggerheads.

IMO, because of the upside, the MW is still better off putting up with Boise. The AAC, on the other hand, doesn't need the headache.

RE: AAC Waiver Approved - ken d - 06-02-2021 10:31 AM

(06-02-2021 02:02 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  AAC West:
BYU
Boise State
Air Force/Gonzaga
Colorado State
UNR
San Diego State
UNR

AAC Central:
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Tulane
Navy/Wichita State
Memphis
UTSA

AAC East:
UCF
USF
ECU
Temple
Cincinnati
ODU
Army/VCU

Air Force, Army and Navy are football only. You get 21 football schools, but then you got the best of the rest in both money sports as well which you could get an AAC Network going which could sell better cross country than the Longhorn Network, ACC, SEC, and the Big 10

I like the concept of going big, which would require that ESPN step up to the plate and designate the AAC an AQ conference.

I had slightly different teams and division alignment. In my scenario, there would be three division champions, based only on their division round robin record. Reluctantly, I would use some combination of polls and computers to determine the two highest ranked champs to play for the Conference championship.

That's important, because ESPN would lead the way to an 8 team playoff consisting of the P6 champions and two at large teams. The CFP would distribute the money this way. All 130 FBS schools would receive $500K. Each playoff participant would each receive $1 million for each game they play in to cover travel costs. The two at-large teams would receive $10 million (shared in accordance with their conference rules), regardless of how deep into the tournament they go. The rest of the prize pool would be shared equally by all 86 members of the AQ conferences.

AAC members would have 6 division games plus one game from each of the other two divisions, and would commit to scheduling at least 9 games against AQ conference opponents. There would be no required rotation to insure each team plays every other team. Instead, the league would permit protected games as needed, and would try to create the most attractive OOD games every year.

These would be my divisions, with suggested OOD opponents (opponents in blue are protected rivalries):

East:
UCF..............Houston, BYU
Cincinnati.....Memphis
Temple.........Rice
USF..............SMU
ECU.............Tulsa
Army............Navy, Air Force, Rice
Tulane..........Rice

Central:
Houston........UCF, Boise State
Navy.............Army, Air Force, Notre Dame
Memphis.......Cincinnati, San Diego State
Tulsa.............ECU, Fresno State
SMU..............USF, Nevada
Colorado St....Air Force, Utah State, Colorado
Rice..............Tulane, Army

West:
Boise State....Houston
BYU..............UCF, Utah
San Diego St..Memphis
Utah State.....Colorado State
Air Force.......Navy, Army, Colorado St
Fresno St......Tulsa
Nevada.........SMU

RE: AAC Waiver Approved - OscarWildeCat - 06-02-2021 10:33 AM

(06-01-2021 11:13 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(06-01-2021 10:46 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Let’s speculate here—if this is true, what is the MWC’s move?

NMSU or UTEP for a 10th?

Do they dig deeper into Texas?

Is there an FCS candidate they’d rather bring up?

No reason at all to consider FCS schools if you're in the MWC position.

The four Texas-based C-USA schools (Rice, UTEP, UTSA and UNT) are the most attractive on top of being geographically palatable. I'm a bit biased toward taking the top academic school when one program isn't clearly above the others (particularly when it's directly located in a large market), so Rice would be my top pick if I was running the MWC. After that, it's a question of whether to add 2 more or stay at 10.

UTEP is the best geographic fit. UTSA probably has the most upside as the only FBS program in San Antonio. With the marked exception of Air Force, the MWC doesn’t seem to prioritize academics but I agree Rice would be a stellar pick up on that front.

RE: AAC Waiver Approved - Wedge - 06-02-2021 11:54 AM

(06-02-2021 08:19 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  So .... whether it is interacting with the MW (we deserve a lot more money) or the AAC (take our entire athletic program or no deal), Boise carries themselves like a kind of prima donna.

Boise State does act like a prima donna within the MWC. As far as the AAC, though, they are recognizing that "football only" is a bad deal for them, as it would be for almost every other school in FBS. Works only for a very few special cases like Hawai'i and Navy.

RE: AAC Waiver Approved - DFW HOYA - 06-02-2021 12:02 PM

Aresco likes to talk about a Power 6 when it's trending towards a Power 4. Any departure by Texas and Oklahoma will open the Big 12 to all sorts of realignment as an AAC or MWC/level conference.

RE: AAC Waiver Approved - Frank the Tank - 06-02-2021 12:29 PM

(06-02-2021 12:02 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  Aresco likes to talk about a Power 6 when it's trending towards a Power 4. Any departure by Texas and Oklahoma will open the Big 12 to all sorts of realignment as an AAC or MWC/level conference.

I find the prospect of the Big 12 breaking apart unlikely due to a lot of factors (e.g. state politics, protection of "little brother" institutions, etc.), but agree that AAC expansion for the purpose of being a "Power 6" conference is a complete lost cause. The AAC simply isn't getting AQ (or Contract Bowl or whatever other guarantees that the P5 will have) status no matter who they add.

Now, I do think AAC expansion can help them solidify being in the pole position for clinching a G5 playoff spot even more than today. That in and of itself is worth something and provides a bit more cushion for the AAC champ in any given year (where they can afford to lose a game or 2 and still make the playoff while other G5 teams may need to go undefeated to have a chance). I just don't see the powers that be ever guaranteeing a playoff spot by contract solely for the AAC.

RE: AAC Waiver Approved - bill dazzle - 06-02-2021 12:56 PM

I foresee the Big 12 standing pat and, as such, the AAC attempting to add three all-sports members from the MWC. The American is never going to be a AQ league. About 95 percent of us on this board recognize that. But a 14-team AAC with a fine collection of academic institutions — and with a very good combo of hoops, football and baseball creating lots of TV broadcasts in different time slots — can work well.

The question is simple: After Boise, and if the AAC pulls this off (which might not happen), what might be the other two MWC programs? I would want SDSU and Colorado State. But many of our posters feel Air Force and CSU are "tied at the hip."