CSNbbs
"W&M athletic culture is being turned upside down" - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: "W&M athletic culture is being turned upside down" (/thread-885011.html)

Pages: 1 2

"W&M athletic culture is being turned upside down" - Pete24 - 10-13-2019 08:37 PM

The Daily Press & Virginia Gazette ran a noteworthy Letter to the Editor from the parent of a Tribe student-athlete, on Oct 11. Perhaps the most significant quote from the piece is:

"In (Huge's) myopic approach, she is butchering the unique camaraderie that Tribe student-athletes are known for, and breeding animosity withing the Tribe community, pitting athletic programs and student-athletes against one another."

Here's a link to the piece ...
Daily Press / Va Gazette article

RE: "W&M athletic culture is being turned upside down" - nogretheogre - 10-14-2019 06:52 AM

(10-13-2019 08:37 PM)Pete24 Wrote:  The Daily Press & Virginia Gazette ran a noteworthy Letter to the Editor from the parent of a Tribe student-athlete, on Oct 11. Perhaps the most significant quote from the piece is:

"In (Huge's) myopic approach, she is butchering the unique camaraderie that Tribe student-athletes are known for, and breeding animosity withing the Tribe community, pitting athletic programs and student-athletes against one another."

Here's a link to the piece ...
Daily Press / Va Gazette article

Knowing that the strategic plan is to be released this week, I feel that this opinion piece's publishing as well as the current arguments being relayed on the other post are premature. Why not wait until we see what is going to be released? If you dont like the announcement enough, then sure, have at it.

RE: "W&M athletic culture is being turned upside down" - nj alum - 10-14-2019 08:28 AM

Because some of us have institutional memory, and long memories, and participated in discussions with AD Randolph re: survival of our respective sports at W&M in the 80’s.

This is not a new issue. Sports were told 30 years ago to get financially self-sufficient.

Look, aside from the Shaver fiasco, which is a huge deal for me, I have no complaints with the new AD.

However, there are clearly financial issues, and a clear renewed emphasis on the Big Three sports.

As Rocco has been pointing out for years, and I agree with him, cutting of sports has to be on the table if there’s going to be a Big Three emphasis. As much as I love the Big Three, I don’t want any sport cut to feed the Big Three beast. That is a red line for me, regardless of a strategic plan and the timing of same.

And if enough people agree with this, this needs to be communicated to the folks in charge.

RE: "W&M athletic culture is being turned upside down" - Tribe3455 - 10-14-2019 08:47 AM

Generally it either takes egregious action or misplaced angst to pit any group against another. I know that W&M swimming has done extremely well competing in the CAA. And I love that fact. But to think that equates to being competitive in any real way nationally is simply being dishonest. The men haven’t had an all America performer in 35 years. The women have had 1 in the 2000s. Good for them for being the best in the league. But until anyone sees a change in performance due to budget issues this is completely a non-topic. Cutting sports should not be on the agenda, I agree. But if it takes shifting resources for all teams to compete better and more evenly then I am ok with that. Her letter was an unnecessary swipe at the three programs the majority of fans care anything about.

RE: "W&M athletic culture is being turned upside down" - Tribe32 - 10-14-2019 08:55 AM

Here's the big problem with all of this. You have alumni who donate big dollars who came from the non or lesser revenue sports. If you look at the giving by team, it is eye opening. I also believe that the ONLY sport that's truly off limits is football given our history, but it's also the biggest drain on the dollars.

A big chunk of the athletic alumni base is pissed off at Huge. There are many big donors who are boycotting. Don't look at the attendance figures at football games as a barometer because they are reporting tickets sold, not gate counts. There were big chunks of seats with nobody in them, and athletic teams are sitting on the home side and not in the student section.

This is a mess that needs to be cleaned up. I just hope she stays long enough to right the ship. If she quits or is released in the middle of it, we've got a problem much bigger than now.

RE: "W&M athletic culture is being turned upside down" - Old tribe - 10-14-2019 10:38 AM

(10-14-2019 08:55 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Here's the big problem with all of this. You have alumni who donate big dollars who came from the non or lesser revenue sports. If you look at the giving by team, it is eye opening. I also believe that the ONLY sport that's truly off limits is football given our history, but it's also the biggest drain on the dollars.

A big chunk of the athletic alumni base is pissed off at Huge. There are many big donors who are boycotting. Don't look at the attendance figures at football games as a barometer because they are reporting tickets sold, not gate counts. There were big chunks of seats with nobody in them, and athletic teams are sitting on the home side and not in the student section.

This is a mess that needs to be cleaned up. I just hope she stays long enough to right the ship. If she quits or is released in the middle of it, we've got a problem much bigger than now.

I think many people are missing the fact that Huge was hired to do what she's doing. She wasn't hired to continue the status quo. She was hired to improve performance of the sports that draw the most attention, with the hope that this will enhance the reputation of and benefit the college as a whole. The President who hired her, and the current president, are in favor of this plan. The current president is her boss, if she wasn't in favor of it it wouldn't be happening. This isn't just Huge doing things on her own. I doubt any sports will be cut. But resources may be allocated for a period of time. Sometimes change can be hard, but I think in this case it's necessary. You can't compete in basketball and football without sufficient resources.

RE: "W&M athletic culture is being turned upside down" - nj alum - 10-14-2019 10:44 AM

I have no problem with the concept that Huge was hired to continue/follow-up on the Laycock success story, and to provide Tony with the resources/facilities to knock the door down.

We’ve gotten a little off track here, don’t you think?

RE: "W&M athletic culture is being turned upside down" - Tribe32 - 10-14-2019 10:48 AM

It isn't about the strategy. I'm all for it. It's the execution that has been the problem. All of the angst is about the approach, not about the vision.

RE: "W&M athletic culture is being turned upside down" - Zorch - 10-14-2019 11:22 AM

(10-14-2019 08:55 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  This is a mess that needs to be cleaned up. I just hope she stays long enough to right the ship. If she quits or is released in the middle of it, we've got a problem much bigger than now.

(10-14-2019 10:48 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  It isn't about the strategy. I'm all for it. It's the execution that has been the problem. All of the angst is about the approach, not about the vision.

The only point that Tribe32 makes that I disagree with is when he says that he hopes that Huge stays long enough to right the ship. I think that the ship will never be righted under her watch --- simply because I think that she doesn't think that she did anything wrong or made any mistakes. Therefore, she is still committed to her same plan and her same execution. I think W&M would be far better off if she left right now because, as bad as things have become, I think that they are only going to get worse and the longer it goes the harder and harder it will be to ever get back. We are less far down the bad road now than we will be one year from now or two years from now. We haven't reached the point of no return yet.

RE: "W&M athletic culture is being turned upside down" - Herm61 - 10-15-2019 08:38 AM

Written by a soccer mom.

RE: "W&M athletic culture is being turned upside down" - Tribal - 10-15-2019 08:57 AM

(10-15-2019 08:38 AM)Herm61 Wrote:  Written by a soccer mom.
Swim mom

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: "W&M athletic culture is being turned upside down" - SoCal Frank - 10-15-2019 10:50 AM

If any organization based any decision on the ramblings of a swim/soccer mom; they should have their organizational heads examined.
Our AD wasn’t hired to maintain the status quo. She apparently has the support of her superiors. That’s fine by me. Without major changes Wm&Mary will be left in the dust by the likes of JMU, LU, and ODU.

RE: "W&M athletic culture is being turned upside down" - Zorch - 10-15-2019 11:07 AM

(10-15-2019 10:50 AM)SoCal Frank Wrote:  If any organization based any decision on the ramblings of a swim/soccer mom; they should have their organizational heads examined.
Our AD wasn’t hired to maintain the status quo. She apparently has the support of her superiors. That’s fine by me. Without major changes Wm&Mary will be left in the dust by the likes of JMU, LU, and ODU.

If by "left in the dust" you are referring to how ODU and Liberty have moved to FBS level -- then that has already happened (and may also happen for JMU). You are right that Huge was not hired to maintain the status quo --- but I venture to say that her mandate does NOT include moving W&M to FBS level. So, since W&M is destined to remain FCS (or whatever they call it in the future when G5 schools are ousted by the P5 and merge into the FCS) then comparing W&M to ODU and LU is comparing apples to oranges.

RE: "W&M athletic culture is being turned upside down" - bubbadog57 - 10-15-2019 02:00 PM

Nobody here can actually "know" why Samantha Huge was hired or not...these are personal ramblings about things we know not of.

We'll find out over time by what occurs and that's the best these boards can do. She's relatively early on in her job so only more time will tell.

RE: "W&M athletic culture is being turned upside down" - Tribal - 10-15-2019 02:22 PM

(10-15-2019 02:00 PM)bubbadog57 Wrote:  Nobody here can actually "know" why Samantha Huge was hired or not...these are personal ramblings about things we know not of.

We'll find out over time by what occurs and that's the best these boards can do. She's relatively early on in her job so only more time will tell.

Personal opinion is 99% of what this messageboard is all about. Like your badmouthing the QB Club meetings when you hadn't attended a meeting in many years.

This wait and see attitude (not just you) is a prey minset. Y'all waited to see if basketball players would leave and it turns out most did just that; one didn't because NBA clubs said he needed a bit more work and the other didn't because he didn't find a suitable landing spot. Also lost a very promising recruit, by the way.

WSOC coach fired...champion swim coach suddenly left...legendary football coach left..all in Huge's early tenure. You also told us to wait and see if the MBB numbers were down. Welp, they were then and they are now. Boy, if you could see the MBB season ticket numbers...wow.

Student-athletes and parents are reaching out to the Tribe community. Boosters are sickened. But, you just keep ignoring them and the cold hard facts laid at your feet and just keep waiting and seeing because the truth doesn't fit your narrative. Enjoy your access to coaches, the AD and special events...clearly reserved for those willing to fall in line.

RE: "W&M athletic culture is being turned upside down" - nj alum - 10-15-2019 02:30 PM

(10-15-2019 02:00 PM)bubbadog57 Wrote:  Nobody here can actually "know" why Samantha Huge was hired or not...these are personal ramblings about things we know not of.

We have already found out "what occurs"; she's done a lot in the short time that she's been here.

The past AD had no plan to speak of aside from "status quo", but there were few errors, if any, in his execution of the "status quo".

The current AD has plans, but there have been multiple errors in her execution of the "plans".

Is it too hard to ask for "plans" and "proper execution"?

As for the best these boards can do?

I want Shaver back in the fold pronto. I want a groundswell of outrage as to how he was treated, and as to wanting him back pronto.

Will you join me, or will you refuse to speak the truth to power?

RE: "W&M athletic culture is being turned upside down" - nj alum - 10-15-2019 02:36 PM

Stand up, man! Be counted! With this attitude, if things continue to go south, you'll be all alone on these message boards as we will all have fled.

With all of us gone, do you really think that you could stand upright in the winds that blow then?

RE: "W&M athletic culture is being turned upside down" - nj alum - 10-15-2019 02:38 PM

You're not saying that she's inexperienced, and that the school should have hired someone with more experience? Be careful, that goes against the party line.

RE: "W&M athletic culture is being turned upside down" - Blow Gym rat - 10-15-2019 03:27 PM

As to "why she was hired," it would be reasonable to think that Ms. Huge was brought onboard with a directive to improve the quality and visibility of the football and men's basketball programs, on the theory that this will assist the College as a whole. It's also apparent that increased diversity in the athletics staff is a goal that is being pursued.

In pursuing those omelets, she's seemingly willing to break eggs. How many eggs are being broken, vs. how many are needed for the recipe, is a question for speculation, as is how the omelets will turn out. Based on her tenures at other institutions (although admittedly not as the AD), she may well be at around the midpoint of her tenure at W&M -- certainly not too soon to opine on these questions.

RE: "W&M athletic culture is being turned upside down" - Tribe32 - 10-15-2019 05:15 PM

(10-15-2019 02:22 PM)Tribal Wrote:  

Personal opinion is 99% of what this messageboard is all about. Like your badmouthing the QB Club meetings when you hadn't attended a meeting in many years.

This wait and see attitude (not just you) is a prey minset. Y'all waited to see if basketball players would leave and it turns out most did just that; one didn't because NBA clubs said he needed a bit more work and the other didn't because he didn't find a suitable landing spot. Also lost a very promising recruit, by the way.

WSOC coach fired...champion swim coach suddenly left...legendary football coach left..all in Huge's early tenure. You also told us to wait and see if the MBB numbers were down. Welp, they were then and they are now. Boy, if you could see the MBB season ticket numbers...wow.

Student-athletes and parents are reaching out to the Tribe community. Boosters are sickened. But, you just keep ignoring them and the cold hard facts laid at your feet and just keep waiting and seeing because the truth doesn't fit your narrative. Enjoy your access to coaches, the AD and special events...clearly reserved for those willing to fall in line.

You forgot my personal favorite. She left the ladies Tennis team without a coach after both the assistant and head coach quit. Not sure exactly who coached them during the period without one. It wasn't in the off season either.