CSNbbs
Athlon preseason bracket - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Proving Grounds (/forum-768.html)
+--- Forum: BigEastbbs (/forum-771.html)
+---- Forum: Big East Conference Talk (/forum-772.html)
+---- Thread: Athlon preseason bracket (/thread-882706.html)

Athlon preseason bracket - stever20 - 09-13-2019 08:12 AM

Athlon-
Marquette 9 MW vs Alabama, Michigan St
Xavier 6 MW vs Okla St, Gonzaga
Seton Hall 4 W vs Charleston, Texas Tech
Villanova 3 W vs ETSU, Purdue/Dayton-Georgetown winner
Georgetown 11 W(ff) vs Dayton, Purdue, Villanova
Creighton 11 E vs Illinois, UNC

I don't think the Villanova/Georgetown thing is a legal bracketing thing- don't think they could play before the sweet 16.....

RE: Athlon preseason bracket - MU in MKE - 09-13-2019 09:29 AM

(09-13-2019 08:12 AM)stever20 Wrote:  Athlon-

I don't think the Villanova/Georgetown thing is a legal bracketing thing- don't think they could play before the sweet 16.....

It's not a an allowed matchup... but this early on, matchups don't even really matter. These predictions should just list their projected seedings at this point.

I think every time on here has a good shot of earning a better seed than what is listed... but it's not that far off from my own guesses at this point... I also see Providence having a good shot of making it too though, perhaps better than Creighton.

RE: Athlon preseason bracket - stever20 - 09-13-2019 09:42 AM

(09-13-2019 09:29 AM)MU in MKE Wrote:  

It's not a an allowed matchup... but this early on, matchups don't even really matter. These predictions should just list their projected seedings at this point.

I think every time on here has a good shot of earning a better seed than what is listed... but it's not that far off from my own guesses at this point... I also see Providence having a good shot of making it too though, perhaps better than Creighton.

I think you are right about every team having a shot at earning a better seed..... HOWEVER, I think it's also very zero sum, were if say Xavier gets a better seed, it's probably going to come at the expense of one of the other 5 teams seeds.

RE: Athlon preseason bracket - MU in MKE - 09-13-2019 09:55 AM

(09-13-2019 09:42 AM)stever20 Wrote:  

I think you are right about every team having a shot at earning a better seed..... HOWEVER, I think it's also very zero sum, were if say Xavier gets a better seed, it's probably going to come at the expense of one of the other 5 teams seeds.

That can definitely happen. It's one area where I agree with you... once you start having 60-70% of a conference getting in, there's a point when you start cannibalizing seedings. It can be a drawback of having a strong but evenly matched conference like we've seen the BE often become.

The big counter to this is of course when you have strong OOC results from most of the conference.

RE: Athlon preseason bracket - stever20 - 09-13-2019 10:01 AM

(09-13-2019 09:55 AM)MU in MKE Wrote:  

That can definitely happen. It's one area where I agree with you... once you start having 60-70% of a conference getting in, there's a point when you start cannibalizing seedings. It can be a drawback of having a strong but evenly matched conference like we've seen the BE often become.

The big counter to this is of course when you have strong OOC results from most of the conference.

Yeah and it's the one area where the conference(outside of 2 years ago) hasn't excelled. Almost every single year there's at least a few head scratching OOC games. In a 10 team conference- that hurts a LOT more than in a larger conference.

RE: Athlon preseason bracket - MU in MKE - 09-13-2019 08:07 PM

(09-13-2019 10:01 AM)stever20 Wrote:  
(09-13-2019 09:55 AM)MU in MKE Wrote:  

Yeah and it's the one area where the conference(outside of 2 years ago) hasn't excelled. Almost every single year there's at least a few head scratching OOC games. In a 10 team conference- that hurts a LOT more than in a larger conference.

Well... yeah... it's basketball.... so you'll have that. 01-wingedeagle