CSNbbs
How does UCONN entering the Big East affect Marquette? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Proving Grounds (/forum-768.html)
+--- Forum: BigEastbbs (/forum-771.html)
+---- Forum: Big East Conference Talk (/forum-772.html)
+---- Thread: How does UCONN entering the Big East affect Marquette? (/thread-880543.html)

How does UCONN entering the Big East affect Marquette? - BraveKnight - 08-11-2019 08:23 AM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.anonymouseagle.com/platform/amp/2019/8/8/20685275/marquette-golden-eagles-sports-athletics-connecticut-huskies-basketball-soccer-volleyball-lacrosse

RE: How does UCONN entering the Big East affect Marquette? - GoldenWarrior11 - 08-11-2019 12:02 PM

No way Marquette ditches its annual game with Wisconsin.

RE: How does UCONN entering the Big East affect Marquette? - Bogg - 08-11-2019 12:53 PM

(08-11-2019 12:02 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  No way Marquette ditches its annual game with Wisconsin.

That was the biggest thing that stuck out to me. Sure the schedule's getting a little tighter, but it's not really a problem if your schedule is just 20 Big East games, a Big 10 team, a Big 12 team, an early-season tournament, Wisconsin, and then all buy games. Playing up those in-state rivalries with the Big 10 teams is not only good for fan interest, but it helps provide a reason for the Gavitt Games to continue and not-so-subtly sends the message that, at some level, there's an equality with the Big 10 programs.

RE: How does UCONN entering the Big East affect Marquette? - GoldenWarrior11 - 08-11-2019 02:27 PM

I found the section about women's lacrosse interesting. The AAC began sponsoring women's lacrosse when ECU began to offer it, and taking UConn, Cincinnati, Temple, Florida and Vanderbilt away from the Big East. With UConn leaving the AAC (and returning to the Big East in WLAX - again), the article hypothesizes that the Big East would just "give" the AAC Old Dominion Women's Lacrosse back so both leagues would have six members.

Considering Old Dominion also has Field Hockey in the Big East, a sport that the AAC does not sponsor, I find it hard to envision such a "trade" occurring. I think it is much more likely that the AAC has one of its own programs start women's lacrosse, or simply add a member from another lower conference.