CSNbbs
Werts reinstated by GS - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Werts reinstated by GS (/thread-880195.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Werts reinstated by GS - GaSoEagle - 08-04-2019 09:23 AM

After submitting to and passing a drug test Lunsford reinstated him.

RE: Werts reinstated by GS - asucrutch23 - 08-04-2019 09:30 AM

Serious question. What does passing a drug test have to do with the charge of misdemeanor possession?

I guess it's good enough to allow him to practice, but can you play someone with an outstanding cocaine charge?

I also can't reconcile Werts' claim that he knew about the substance (claiming it was bird poop) and that substance also twice testing positive for cocaine. He should have kept his mouth shut.

I like this kid from everything I've seen, so I'm rooting for him. Just posting honest question and observation.

RE: Werts reinstated by GS - Georgia_Power_Company - 08-04-2019 09:32 AM

Glad he's back. I have a feeling he may still sit out the first game because he is still subject to the code of conduct.

https://www.wjcl.com/article/breaking-georgia-southern-quarterback-shai-werts-returns-to-practice/28600043

RE: Werts reinstated by GS - GaSoEagle - 08-04-2019 09:40 AM

I think most feel the misdemeanor charge will be dropped. He will get the speeding ticket but good luck to any prosecutor making the drug charge stick. He may still miss a game but he is back practicing. Lunsford must be satisfied enough

RE: Werts reinstated by GS - PhillyApp1 - 08-04-2019 09:43 AM

I wish him luck and another learning lesson, like the rest of us.....live and learn

RE: Werts reinstated by GS - CardinalBlackTrojan - 08-04-2019 09:55 AM

Hope he learns from this incident and gets his crap together.

RE: Werts reinstated by GS - EigenEagle - 08-04-2019 10:12 AM

(08-04-2019 09:30 AM)asucrutch23 Wrote:  Serious question. What does passing a drug test have to do with the charge of misdemeanor possession?

I guess it's good enough to allow him to practice, but can you play someone with an outstanding cocaine charge?

I also can't reconcile Werts' claim that he knew about the substance (claiming it was bird poop) and that substance also twice testing positive for cocaine. He should have kept his mouth shut.

I like this kid from everything I've seen, so I'm rooting for him. Just posting honest question and observation.

False positives don't happen by random chance. If you test one part of the sample and it's a false positive the other parts of that will be false positives as well. If you give someone an HIV test and get a positive and want to do a second test you don't use more of the same blood sample, you go and draw blood from the patient again.

And besides, is he really responsible for what's on the outside of his vehicle? You would be surprised what surfaces you can find cocaine residue on, especially with cheap high-school-chemistry-set tests the police use these days.

RE: Werts reinstated by GS - NCeagle - 08-04-2019 10:14 AM

(08-04-2019 09:30 AM)asucrutch23 Wrote:  Serious question. What does passing a drug test have to do with the charge of misdemeanor possession?

the roadside tests are very unreliable. Also, cleaning solution can create a false positive. If he used his windshield wipers and windshield cleaner, there's your possible false positive.

Also, cocaine is a lvl 2 narcotic, so with the amount he was being charged with, it's a misdemeanor.

But the drug charge is likely going to be dropped and all he will get hit with is a speeding ticket.

RE: Werts reinstated by GS - HighlandsApp - 08-04-2019 10:17 AM

The road side tests should be banned.

RE: Werts reinstated by GS - NCeagle - 08-04-2019 10:58 AM

If the charge is upheld, it's a misdemeanor, so there would be a 1 game suspension if convicted

RE: Werts reinstated by GS - trueeagle98 - 08-04-2019 11:56 AM

(08-04-2019 09:55 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  Hope he learns from this incident and gets his crap together.

That's a big jump in assuming on that statement. For now I'm leaning towards an over zealous cop that thought Shai was eluding him for a reason. He doesn't find anything on him or in the car so he decides to get creative and test anything. Heck the cop probably knows about the likelyhood of a false positive. Charges him with a misdemeanor and speeding and figures it won't get too much coverage from a small college QB. JMO. Don't think it was anything too malicious, but the cop probably seen a lot of drugs coming thru that area and jumped to conclusions.
Basically I think the cop wanted to find something and ended up getting something to test positive. Shai was probably in a hurry and maybe 'eveaded" hoping to avoid a speeding ticket, if he did that. I'm waiting for any lab tests to confirm the field test.

RE: Werts reinstated by GS - Oldyeller - 08-04-2019 12:38 PM

(08-04-2019 10:58 AM)NCeagle Wrote:  If the charge is upheld, it's a misdemeanor, so there would be a 1 game suspension if convicted

If the charge isn't dropped before game time but still the potential is there how do you suspend for one game? The appearance of every aspect of the event looks bad but nothing can be proven. Shai may have attempted to duck getting a speeding ticket we'll never know because the officer allowed the speeder to get out of site but he's paying the ticket anyway. How's that Shai's fault? Shai passes a drug test but may have been snorting cocaine on the hood of his car. My gosh how much do you have to have to leave a giant smudge of it on the hood after attempting to clean it. Shai may be Tony Montana we'll never know but his reputation has been damaged. It's damaged because if the cop was out of bounds it'll be pushed under the rug and Shai can go pound sand. Pay the speeding ticket and be done with it. No need for further punishment. If the cop had taken a few minutes to yell at Shai and express disappointment concern or whatever for what appeared to be evading a speeding ticket that's one thing. Blowing up the guys life is all together something completely different. Like I said earlier I'll never look at bird poop the same. If only Shai had been a cute coed.

RE: Werts reinstated by GS - TrueBlueDrew - 08-04-2019 12:51 PM

(08-04-2019 09:55 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  Hope he learns from this incident and gets his crap together.

[Image: source.gif]

RE: Werts reinstated by GS - Yosef Himself - 08-04-2019 03:44 PM

(08-04-2019 12:51 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  

[Image: source.gif]
Right???? How dare he get on the wrong side of a power tripping 5oh

Werts reinstated by GS - arkstfan - 08-04-2019 07:19 PM

Sounds like right outcome to me.
If I’m coaching staff I’d pull a drug test too to see if it supports his claims or police.

I would hate to prosecute someone for possession based on a smudge on the hood of a car since anyone can access the hood of a parked car. If it were on the center console you can argue exclusive access. Can’t do that with a car hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Werts reinstated by GS - troutbummike - 08-04-2019 07:58 PM

(08-04-2019 10:17 AM)HighlandsApp Wrote:  The road side tests should be banned.

Drug laws should be banned.

RE: Werts reinstated by GS - GoBigRed26 - 08-05-2019 12:10 AM

(08-04-2019 07:58 PM)troutbummike Wrote:  

Sure, just give everyone full access to all the opioids their little hearts desire. It’s not like they kill more people per year than automobile accidents. Oh, wait, they do.

RE: Werts reinstated by GS - BRtransplant - 08-05-2019 04:33 AM

(08-04-2019 07:19 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  Sounds like right outcome to me.
If I’m coaching staff I’d pull a drug test too to see if it supports his claims or police.

I would hate to prosecute someone for possession based on a smudge on the hood of a car since anyone can access the hood of a parked car. If it were on the center console you can argue exclusive access. Can’t do that with a car hood.

I think it is totally ridiculous that anyone could be charged with a crime based on a smudge on a car's hood. Anyone could have put that smudge there. Reinstating Werts was absolutely the right thing to do.

RE: Werts reinstated by GS - NCeagle - 08-05-2019 07:06 AM

(08-04-2019 07:19 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  Sounds like right outcome to me.

already did. Werts passed the drug test. That's the main reason he is back at practice IMO.

That and they probably spoke with a lawyer or two who all said the drug charges would never stick.

RE: Werts reinstated by GS - CardinalBlackTrojan - 08-05-2019 07:12 AM

(08-04-2019 07:58 PM)troutbummike Wrote:  

What? You've got to be joking.