CSNbbs
Adam Silver announces NBA will no longer have "owners" - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Adam Silver announces NBA will no longer have "owners" (/thread-878155.html)

Pages: 1 2

Adam Silver announces NBA will no longer have "owners" - TigersOhMy - 06-24-2019 09:38 AM

Because the term is racially insensitive. Will now be known as "governors".

RE: Adam Silver announces NBA will no longer have "owners" - UofMstateU - 06-24-2019 09:42 AM

This had to be one of Mark Cuban's turd nugget of an idea.

RE: Adam Silver announces NBA will no longer have "owners" - TigerBlue4Ever - 06-24-2019 09:46 AM

Man oh man, this rabbit hole never ends, there is no bottom for these morons.

RE: Adam Silver announces NBA will no longer have "owners" - georgia_tech_swagger - 06-24-2019 09:49 AM

So the NBA looked at the NFL political disaster and said ... hmmm ... great idea! Sports are a respite from politics, not a new beachhead. Get this garbage the hell out of the game ... any game. This is the NBA looking to get weasel plaudits and attention from the w0ke crowd. I'm sure this couldn't possibly be related to poor post season ratings everywhere other than Canada. What drives NBA viewership are Michael Jordan type players. Zion should be that next one up. But it really hurt the NBA that Lebron was sitting on his keister all postseason and most of the games immediately before the postseason.

RE: Adam Silver announces NBA will no longer have "owners" - UofMstateU - 06-24-2019 09:55 AM

They would do better by demanding the players not say stupid sh*t like how they arent going to the whitehouse.

RE: Adam Silver announces NBA will no longer have "owners" - fsquid - 06-24-2019 10:09 AM

Governor is better?

RE: Adam Silver announces NBA will no longer have "owners" - 49RFootballNow - 06-24-2019 10:12 AM

(06-24-2019 10:09 AM)fsquid Wrote:  Governor is better?

I guess they didn't want to use the more obvious choice of Mass'ah.

RE: Adam Silver announces NBA will no longer have "owners" - georgia_tech_swagger - 06-24-2019 10:17 AM

(06-24-2019 10:09 AM)fsquid Wrote:  Governor is better?

Give it another few years and they'll give it the full corporate speak makeover. Chief Executive Manager.

RE: Adam Silver announces NBA will no longer have "owners" - SuperFlyBCat - 06-24-2019 10:35 AM

Aaron Katersky of ABC news said NFL players are indentured servants. Sometimes I think it would have been good if the E. Europeans and Russians did not emigrate here.

RE: Adam Silver announces NBA will no longer have "owners" - B_Hawk06 - 06-24-2019 10:39 AM

Curious as to Governor Michael Jordan's personal thoughts on being considered a racist, slavery perpetuating "former owner".

RE: Adam Silver announces NBA will no longer have "owners" - VA49er - 06-24-2019 10:48 AM

Stupid.

RE: Adam Silver announces NBA will no longer have "owners" - TigersOhMy - 06-24-2019 10:56 AM

(06-24-2019 10:35 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Aaron Katersky of ABC news said NFL players are indentured servants. Sometimes I think it would have been good if the E. Europeans and Russians did not emigrate here.

The next big push is going to be getting rid of the draft in pro sports. Theyve pushed the narrative in both the NFL and NBA drafts that it isn't fair that athletes can't choose where they're employed.

It may take a few years but just watch, that's the next big woke sports movement.

RE: Adam Silver announces NBA will no longer have "owners" - fsquid - 06-24-2019 10:59 AM

(06-24-2019 10:39 AM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  Curious as to Governor Michael Jordan's personal thoughts on being considered a racist, slavery perpetuating "former owner".

doubt he cares unless it effects the time he gets on the golf course.

RE: Adam Silver announces NBA will no longer have "owners" - SuperFlyBCat - 06-24-2019 11:02 AM

(06-24-2019 10:56 AM)TigersOhMy Wrote:  
(06-24-2019 10:35 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Aaron Katersky of ABC news said NFL players are indentured servants. Sometimes I think it would have been good if the E. Europeans and Russians did not emigrate here.

The next big push is going to be getting rid of the draft in pro sports. Theyve pushed the narrative in both the NFL and NBA drafts that it isn't fair that athletes can't choose where they're employed.

It may take a few years but just watch, that's the next big woke sports movement.
No kidding was unaware of that. Both sports have salary caps though.

RE: Adam Silver announces NBA will no longer have "owners" - ericsrevenge76 - 06-24-2019 11:17 AM

(06-24-2019 10:48 AM)VA49er Wrote:  Stupid.

Too small a word for this.

People have lost their minds.

RE: Adam Silver announces NBA will no longer have "owners" - banker - 06-24-2019 11:19 AM

It's a shame we have to even think about changing a word that has been in existence, and used in a consistent way, for thousands of years simply because some people are too stupid to function with any level of context. Mark Cuban, for example, owns a franchise. That franchise has employees. That, in no way, indicates that he Owns the employees.

If you own a fast food restaurant in the South Carolina low country (I use for reference because I just drove through there on vacation) will you have to stop saying you own the restaurant, because I guarantee you that 95% of your employees are black. I guess the logical conclusion will be that no one who starts a business, or holds stock in one, can refer to themselves as an owner if they have any black employees. Since I hold stock in several companies that have black employees, I shall now, and hereafter, refer to myself as Governor Banker and would kindly request that all use that title when addressing me. Thank you.

RE: Adam Silver announces NBA will no longer have "owners" - CrimsonPhantom - 06-24-2019 11:33 AM

[Image: giphy.gif]

Like the term, Governor is a 100% better. Just ask those under colonial Spanish America and colonial Africa how they were treated.

RE: Adam Silver announces NBA will no longer have "owners" - ECUGrad07 - 06-24-2019 12:46 PM

Wait... so Mark Cuban will no longer OWN the Mavericks? The Governor of a state doesn't own the state with a huge financial stake in it.

This is stupid, unnecessary, and confusing.

RE: Adam Silver announces NBA will no longer have "owners" - 49RFootballNow - 06-24-2019 01:14 PM

This reminds me of another interesting sports phrasing situation:

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: Adam Silver announces NBA will no longer have "owners" - SoMs Eagle - 06-24-2019 02:02 PM

So when do the NBA slaves demand their reparations?