CSNbbs
So, no more UConn to the ACC threads? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: So, no more UConn to the ACC threads? (/thread-878033.html)

Pages: 1 2

So, no more UConn to the ACC threads? - TerryD - 06-22-2019 10:48 AM

Hartford Courant says sources confirm the story this morning:

"UConn is on the verge of joining the Big East for all sports that the conference sponsors, sources confirmed Saturday morning. Though the university is awaiting and fully expecting an official invitation from the Big East, an announcement of the Huskies' move is forthcoming.

This move will return UConn to its storied basketball roots and trigger long-term security and better opportunity for its two programs in that sport. However, UConn must figure out what to do with its football program. Dropping the program is not being considered. It is highly unlikely that the American Athletic Conference would have interest in retaining UConn as a football-only member, though with scheduling done well in advance the Huskies are expected to play in the AAC for the upcoming season.

For 2020, UConn will have to find another conference for football or have the program operate as an independent. Details are still being negotiated out on several fronts, including financial. UConn has explored a move to the Big East in recent years but found several sticking points, including high exit fees. The timing of the move for basketball is also uncertain. UConn had no comment Saturday. The move was first reported by Digital Sports Desk, a Boston-based website."

https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-sp-uconn-big-east-conference-aac-20190622-20190622-qgewcp6jhvd5fd4lenxr5vnncm-story.html

Pete Thamel

@PeteThamel
Sources: UConn headed back to the Big East. Here's a dive on the details. What happens with TV deal? How does the AAC replace them? What does it mean for future of UConn football? https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-u-conn-move-to-the-big-east-inevitable-151200471.html

10:15 AM - Jun 22, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Sources: UConn move to the Big East inevitable
Calls with multiple sources on Saturday morning indicated to Yahoo Sports that a deal is being finalized for UConn to return to the Big East in basketball and other sports.

sports.yahoo.com

RE: So, no more UConn to the ACC threads? - wildthing202 - 06-22-2019 11:07 AM

BC wins again.

RE: So, no more UConn to the ACC threads? - Pervis_Griffith - 06-22-2019 11:20 AM

Wow.

I read all that kind of speculation about UConn to the Big East on these boards, but never really thought it would be pursued.

As far as the ACC goes, I think this is UConn waving the white flag.

Cincy just lost it's biggest competitor (from the AAC at least) for a spot in the ACC.

RE: So, no more UConn to the ACC threads? - zoocrew - 06-22-2019 11:36 AM

Yesssssssss

My thoughts exactly. UConn is officially a small basketball school. No need to ever discuss that nonsense again.

RE: So, no more UConn to the ACC threads? - zoocrew - 06-22-2019 11:36 AM

(06-22-2019 11:20 AM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  Wow.

I read all that kind of speculation about UConn to the Big East on these boards, but never really thought it would be pursued.

As far as the ACC goes, I think this is UConn waving the white flag.

Cincy just lost it's biggest competitor (from the AAC at least) for a spot in the ACC.

Cincy or Temple

RE: So, no more UConn to the ACC threads? - nole - 06-22-2019 11:36 AM

It's all a money loser for the ACC. Already the lowest payout. Would only get worse with another Big East team.

Grow the gap anymore the ACC goes unstable if it hasn't already.

RE: So, no more UConn to the ACC threads? - Garrettabc - 06-22-2019 11:56 AM

They automatically become Big East champions in football.

RE: So, no more UConn to the ACC threads? - TexanMark - 06-22-2019 12:27 PM

(06-22-2019 11:56 AM)Garrettabc Wrote:  They automatically become Big East champions in football.

Not so fast my friend, Villanova is usually better than UConn.

RE: So, no more UConn to the ACC threads? - TexanMark - 06-22-2019 12:31 PM

[Image: giphy.gif]

Syracuse, Pitt and BC hearing about UConn

RE: So, no more UConn to the ACC threads? - Garrettabc - 06-22-2019 12:41 PM

Is UConn valuable enough to the ACC to pick them up for everything but football? Their football program was the elephant in the room, but they seem ACC material in every other way including a solid baseball program.

RE: So, no more UConn to the ACC threads? - XLance - 06-22-2019 12:44 PM

(06-22-2019 12:41 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  Is UConn valuable enough to the ACC to pick them up for everything but football? Their football program was the elephant in the room, but they seem ACC material in every other way including a solid baseball program.

Give it up.............it's over. Since their lawsuit, they have never been serious contenders to ever get an ACC invitation.

RE: So, no more UConn to the ACC threads? - georgia_tech_swagger - 06-22-2019 12:45 PM

- This shows the football block in the ACC (FSU/CU/VT/GT/NCST) couldn't be overcome
- Boston College got its most demanded item as membership of the ACC: the sole program in New England at the P5 level.
- Cincinnati will be a winner in public perception, though their position is unchanged
- UCONN was unable to field a competitive AAC level football product, and is only falling further behind. Randy Edsall is owning that last name pretty hard. It will be interesting to see if he is hired as a lower level defensive assistant at GT. He is from the O'Leary coaching tree and was (IIRC) a LB coach under O'Leary.

RE: So, no more UConn to the ACC threads? - Hokie Mark - 06-22-2019 12:49 PM

(06-22-2019 12:41 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  Is UConn valuable enough to the ACC to pick them up for everything but football? Their football program was the elephant in the room, but they seem ACC material in every other way including a solid baseball program.

An interesting idea... but no.

RE: So, no more UConn to the ACC threads? - 8BitPirate - 06-22-2019 01:15 PM

Now's your chance to scoop UCONN on the cheap!

RE: So, no more UConn to the ACC threads? - JRsec - 06-22-2019 02:12 PM

(06-22-2019 01:15 PM)8BitPirate Wrote:  Now's your chance to scoop UCONN on the cheap!

Scoop? I say cover them up with kitty litter and forget where you buried them!

RE: So, no more UConn to the ACC threads? - Pervis_Griffith - 06-22-2019 02:43 PM

(06-22-2019 12:45 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  - This shows the football block in the ACC (FSU/CU/VT/GT/NCST) couldn't be overcome
- Boston College got its most demanded item as membership of the ACC: the sole program in New England at the P5 level.
- Cincinnati will be a winner in public perception, though their position is unchanged
- UCONN was unable to field a competitive AAC level football product, and is only falling further behind. Randy Edsall is owning that last name pretty hard. It will be interesting to see if he is hired as a lower level defensive assistant at GT. He is from the O'Leary coaching tree and was (IIRC) a LB coach under O'Leary.

I think the bolded is correct however .. I would add "position is unchanged with regard to the ACC."

The increased public perception could aid Cincy with the Big XII should they decide to grow. At some point I think they eventually will.

RE: So, no more UConn to the ACC threads? - Garrettabc - 06-22-2019 02:47 PM

I’m now hearing that Wake Forest is going to leave the ACC for the Colonial conference.
*Wake’s up from dream*

RE: So, no more UConn to the ACC threads? - Wolfman - 06-22-2019 02:48 PM

At the first hint of success, and Uconn BB will improve, their fans will be all over the boards with everything from "see what you missed" to "bring on the ACC"

RE: So, no more UConn to the ACC threads? - ken d - 06-22-2019 04:12 PM

(06-22-2019 02:48 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  At the first hint of success, and Uconn BB will improve, their fans will be all over the boards with everything from "see what you missed" to "bring on the ACC"

I think the jury's still out on the question of whether returning to the Big East will help UConn regain national stature in basketball. The old Big East made UConn hoops nationally relevant. I'm not sure the new Big East can do the same.

But if it does, even a little, I believe you are right.

RE: So, no more UConn to the ACC threads? - esayem - 06-22-2019 06:36 PM

This is an absolute excellent move for UConn. They have regained their identity. Hoops will skyrocket.

At worst, UConn will be a CAA football member. Best case they become a successful Indy or get a deal with the MAC w/ UMass