CSNbbs
UCONN back to the Big East? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: UCONN back to the Big East? (/thread-878013.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

UCONN back to the Big East? - loki_the_bubba - 06-21-2019 10:53 PM

http://www.digitalsportsdesk.com/ncaa-basketball/big-east/uconn-to-return-to-big-east/

Not sure I believe this yet.

RE: UCONN back to the Big East? - IWokeUpLikeThis - 06-21-2019 11:11 PM

If someone were to catch wind of a realignment bombshell, it wouldn’t be a website no one’s ever heard of.

RE: UCONN back to the Big East? - Attackcoog - 06-21-2019 11:17 PM

Sounds like it comes directly from the Boneyard Carwash.

RE: UCONN back to the Big East? - TexanMark - 06-21-2019 11:20 PM

(06-21-2019 10:53 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  http://www.digitalsportsdesk.com/ncaa-basketball/big-east/uconn-to-return-to-big-east/

David St. interviewed as a source?

RE: UCONN back to the Big East? - loki_the_bubba - 06-21-2019 11:21 PM

(06-21-2019 11:20 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(06-21-2019 10:53 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  http://www.digitalsportsdesk.com/ncaa-basketball/big-east/uconn-to-return-to-big-east/

David St. interviewed as a source?

How does UCONN help the WAC restart FBS?

RE: UCONN back to the Big East? - IWokeUpLikeThis - 06-21-2019 11:22 PM

Has DavidSt leaked anything about UConn recently?

RE: UCONN back to the Big East? - ChrisLords - 06-21-2019 11:29 PM

IF it's true, who does the AAC add to replace UConn or do they stay at 11 for both sports?
I don't think there's any question that the AAC will kick out UConn football if their basketball programs go back to the Big East.
They would lose a team from the east division so who are the candidates:

UMass - Another weak north eastern football program that specializes in basketball.

Army (football only) - it would be great for the AAC. If they get a piece of the Army-Navy game. But a horrible move for Army. That division with UCF USF Cincy Temple and ECU is tough.

Liberty - no chance. They can't even get a sniff of the Sunbelt.

Middle Tennessee - They already have Memphis in Tennessee. So, probably not.

Marshall - Small market but a football program that could compete.

Florida Intl - Probably the 7th best choice in Florida behind Florida Atlantic

Charlotte - The AAC already has ECU in North Carolina, so probably not.

Florida Atlantic- A third school in Florida is unnecessary but Miami is a good market.

Old Dominion - They have an athletic budget like the AAC schools and are upgrading their stadium but still less than 30,000. The only FBS Virginia school not in the ACC.

Western Kentucky - They would fill in a geographic hole left by Louisville.

UAB - Would be more highly regarded had they not just tried to nuke their football program.

Southern Mississippi - Very familiar with the AAC schools. Historically the best football program available outside of BYU and Boise State.

If Navy moved over to the East, it opens up a lot of possibilities for a western program but I don't think Navy wants to do that.

RE: UCONN back to the Big East? - bearcatlawjd2 - 06-21-2019 11:37 PM

(06-21-2019 11:29 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  IF it's true, who does the AAC add to replace UConn or do they stay at 11 for both sports?
I don't think there's any question that the AAC will kick out UConn football if their basketball programs go back to the Big East.

UMass - Another weak north eastern football program that specializes in basketball.

Army (football only) - it would be great for the AAC. If they get a piece of the Army-Navy game. But a horrible move for Army. That division with UCF USF Cincy Temple and ECU is tough.

Florida Atlantic- A third school in Florida is unnecessary but Miami is a good market.

Old Dominion - They have an athletic budget like the AAC schools and are upgrading their stadium but still less than 30,000. The only FBS Virginia school not in the ACC.

UAB - Would be more highly regarded had they not just tried to nuke their football program.

Southern Mississippi - Very familiar with the AAC schools. Historically the best football program available outside of BYU and Boise State.

If Navy moved over to the East, it opens up a lot of possibilities for a western program but I don't think Navy wants to do that.

Marshall, Dayton, and VCU. 12/14 model. Gives Cincinnati, Temple, and ECU a few regional schools. All three have good hard core fan bases.

Marshall is a football upgrade. Dayton and VCU would provide enough basketball strength to make up for current version of UConn.

Move the conference tournament to Cincinnati or Dayton.

RE: UCONN back to the Big East? - IWokeUpLikeThis - 06-21-2019 11:39 PM

Army/VCU or Army/Dayton would be a really slick move if they can pull it off. Otherwise, it’ll probably come down to UAB or ODU.

RE: UCONN back to the Big East? - Attackcoog - 06-21-2019 11:44 PM

(06-21-2019 11:39 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Army/VCU or Army/Dayton would be a really slick move if they can pull it off. Otherwise, it’ll probably come down to UAB or ODU.

Theres a lot to like in the Army/VCU idea.

RE: UCONN back to the Big East? - loki_the_bubba - 06-21-2019 11:47 PM

Doesn't basketball affiliation pretty much define where your minor sports go? Is it even possible in D1 to have a basketball only affiliation?

RE: UCONN back to the Big East? - ChrisLords - 06-22-2019 12:04 AM

(06-21-2019 11:47 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  Doesn't basketball affiliation pretty much define where your minor sports go? Is it even possible in D1 to have a basketball only affiliation?

Yes, If your basketball teams are in a division 1 conference all your other sports have to be there too unless they go independent or that conference doesn't sponsor the sport like the Big East doesn't sponsor FBS football.

John Hopkins has Lacrosse in the Big Ten because all their other sports are Division 2.

RE: UCONN back to the Big East? - Attackcoog - 06-22-2019 12:11 AM

(06-22-2019 12:04 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  
(06-21-2019 11:47 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  Doesn't basketball affiliation pretty much define where your minor sports go? Is it even possible in D1 to have a basketball only affiliation?

Yes, If your basketball teams are in a division 1 conference all your other sports have to be there too unless they go independent or that conference doesn't sponsor the sport like the Big East doesn't sponsor FBS football.

John Hopkins has Lacrosse in the Big Ten because all their other sports are Division 2.

When they say basketball only—I think they really mean “Olympic sports” member (non-football member is another way to say it).

RE: UCONN back to the Big East? - Wedge - 06-22-2019 12:27 AM

The notion that UConn could do this starting in fall 2020 isn't credible. No way could they build an FBS indy football schedule for 2020. Even the existing FBS indies all have full schedules for 2020, and are so close to full for 2021 that UConn would find it difficult (not quite impossible) to get enough FBS opponents for 2021.

RE: UCONN back to the Big East? - templefootballfan - 06-22-2019 12:47 AM

AAC should keep Conn FB
Now if Conn moves BB to BE,
Does Conn keep Yes tier 3 deal

RE: UCONN back to the Big East? - ChrisLords - 06-22-2019 01:02 AM

(06-22-2019 12:47 AM)templefootballfan Wrote:  AAC should keep Conn FB

IF they keep UConn football, do they go after Dayton or VCU Olympic sports?

RE: UCONN back to the Big East? - JRsec - 06-22-2019 01:05 AM

(06-21-2019 11:29 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  IF it's true, who does the AAC add to replace UConn or do they stay at 11 for both sports?

I would think they would wait to add. In a few years they may be able to pick up remnants of another conference.

RE: UCONN back to the Big East? - Captain Bearcat - 06-22-2019 02:11 AM

(06-22-2019 01:02 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  
(06-22-2019 12:47 AM)templefootballfan Wrote:  AAC should keep Conn FB

IF they keep UConn football, do they go after Dayton or VCU Olympic sports?

By Olympic Sports, do you mean non-basketball?

I could be wrong, but I think the A-10 averages the fewest scholarships of any D-1 conference other than the Ivy (Ivy doesn't give scholarships). They are 100% focused on men's basketball, which is why they've been able to succeed there. So I doubt Dayton/VCU have much to brag about for their track, baseball, volleyball, etc.

RE: UCONN back to the Big East? - quo vadis - 06-22-2019 05:48 AM

(06-21-2019 11:17 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Sounds like it comes directly from the Boneyard Carwash.

I would love for UConn to rejoin the Big East, and they are still smoldering about the TV deal Aresco just inked.

Nevertheless, I will believe it when I see it. I think this has maybe a 5% chance of being true.

RE: UCONN back to the Big East? - Fighting Muskie - 06-22-2019 07:22 AM

If this is true it could send ripples across the G5. Conversely, they could carry on with 11 football schools. It would require a pair of schools in the division of 6 to miss each other in order to accommodate the needed cross division games.

Unless they can land BYU or another service academy there's no one out there that can raise the conference profile. No one in the footprint stands out and distinguishes themselves as a must add.

Basketball adds like VCU and Dayton wouldn't be bad though.

The simple fix would be for Navy to become a scheduling partner rather than a fb affiliate but I don't think the AAC wants to lose their relationship with the Midshipmen.