CSNbbs
End of free viewing? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: End of free viewing? (/thread-875794.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: End of free viewing? - mrjoolius - 11-15-2019 04:09 PM

(11-15-2019 04:04 PM)ScottyB757 Wrote:  
(11-15-2019 03:36 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  
(11-15-2019 03:14 PM)ScottyB757 Wrote:  
(11-14-2019 10:22 AM)wml33t Wrote:  
(11-14-2019 09:38 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  FYI, that DC United link further up this thread seems to still give the discount.

So it does. That makes the decision a LOT easier.

Were you able to use the link? This afternoon I'm getting an "access denied" message. (Just curious...I'll be at the game tonight, so I don't need no stinkin' Flo...)
Did you use this link?

https://www.flofc.com/signup?c...aign=dcu-season-ticket-holders

I didn't go through the whole process but a message pops up saying "52.07% discount will be applied at checkout"

That link worked (thanks) but I'm definitely not interested in an annual subscription I'll only use for four months, tops. Boneheaded decision by someone to go with Flo.
Before football season I did the math. $6 / month plan extended out for the year at $72. Basically $72 for a CAA basketball and football season pass. Roughly 42 games between the two sports (or less than $2 a game). Not quite as good a deal since you missed out on the football season. Still an investment, but roughly $2 per game isn't unreasonable if you get the discount. If you use it for women's basketball or additional content past W&M sports, then even a better deal.

That said, I agree the move to Flosports was not good for the league.

RE: End of free viewing? - soccerguy315 - 11-15-2019 05:31 PM

(11-15-2019 04:09 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  
(11-15-2019 04:04 PM)ScottyB757 Wrote:  
(11-15-2019 03:36 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  
(11-15-2019 03:14 PM)ScottyB757 Wrote:  
(11-14-2019 10:22 AM)wml33t Wrote:  So it does. That makes the decision a LOT easier.

Were you able to use the link? This afternoon I'm getting an "access denied" message. (Just curious...I'll be at the game tonight, so I don't need no stinkin' Flo...)
Did you use this link?

https://www.flofc.com/signup?c...aign=dcu-season-ticket-holders

I didn't go through the whole process but a message pops up saying "52.07% discount will be applied at checkout"

That link worked (thanks) but I'm definitely not interested in an annual subscription I'll only use for four months, tops. Boneheaded decision by someone to go with Flo.
Before football season I did the math. $6 / month plan extended out for the year at $72. Basically $72 for a CAA basketball and football season pass. Roughly 42 games between the two sports (or less than $2 a game). Not quite as good a deal since you missed out on the football season. Still an investment, but roughly $2 per game isn't unreasonable if you get the discount. If you use it for women's basketball or additional content past W&M sports, then even a better deal.

That said, I agree the move to Flosports was not good for the league.

but if you subscribe for a year starting now, you should get the 2020 football season (well, most of it).

End of free viewing? - ColonelEbirt - 11-16-2019 05:43 PM

Good Flosports experience. Was traveling last night so needed to watch the basketball game on replay (which is my norm). Easily steamed it on United WiFi on the plane, which very rarely worked in past years on caa tv. Had a great flight back from LA to Chicago watching an awesome W&M basketball game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: End of free viewing? - wmmii - 11-16-2019 09:29 PM

Correct link for price of $7.99 monthly

https://www.flosports.tv/caa/

RE: End of free viewing? - WMInTheBurg - 12-10-2019 06:58 PM

Is there any kind of option aside from a streaming device for watching games on FloSports? Basically, does being on FloSports mean we can't find a bar in Williamsburg to have Tribe basketball viewing events?

End of free viewing? - wml33t - 12-10-2019 08:49 PM

(12-10-2019 06:58 PM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  Is there any kind of option aside from a streaming device for watching games on FloSports? Basically, does being on FloSports mean we can't find a bar in Williamsburg to have Tribe basketball viewing events?

I think unless it is a game on Cox, then no, you can’t.

RE: End of free viewing? - WMInTheBurg - 12-10-2019 09:06 PM

(12-10-2019 08:49 PM)wml33t Wrote:  
(12-10-2019 06:58 PM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  Is there any kind of option aside from a streaming device for watching games on FloSports? Basically, does being on FloSports mean we can't find a bar in Williamsburg to have Tribe basketball viewing events?

Then this is the biggest problem with FloSports.

RE: End of free viewing? - billymac - 12-10-2019 09:36 PM

(12-10-2019 09:06 PM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  

Pretty much everyone has a laptop or desktop available to use flosports.com .
I'm not a big fan of the CAA bigwigs decision on this, but it's not hard to watch that way.

RE: End of free viewing? - EvanJ - 12-10-2019 10:10 PM

(12-10-2019 09:36 PM)billymac Wrote:  I'm not a big fan of the CAA bigwigs decision on this
Nobody likes having to pay, but the CAA said that they're hoping to use the revenue to buy time on CBS Sports Network to show more games next season than this season.

End of free viewing? - Tribal - 12-10-2019 10:34 PM

I'd love to see CAA Commissioner's list of accomplishments. I'm struggling to find one thing that he's done for the CAA.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: End of free viewing? - zablenoise - 12-10-2019 11:12 PM

(12-10-2019 10:10 PM)EvanJ Wrote:  Nobody likes having to pay, but the CAA said that they're hoping to use the revenue to buy time on CBS Sports Network to show more games next season than this season.

Oh goody! Please take any revenue to put games on a channel that no one gets. What a joke.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

RE: End of free viewing? - Tribe2011 - 12-11-2019 01:56 PM

(12-10-2019 11:12 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  
(12-10-2019 10:10 PM)EvanJ Wrote:  Nobody likes having to pay, but the CAA said that they're hoping to use the revenue to buy time on CBS Sports Network to show more games next season than this season.

Oh goody! Please take any revenue to put games on a channel that no one gets. What a joke.

Honestly probably easier to watch on Flo Sports than CBS sports net.

RE: End of free viewing? - WMInTheBurg - 12-11-2019 03:21 PM

(12-10-2019 09:36 PM)billymac Wrote:  
(12-10-2019 09:06 PM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  

Pretty much everyone has a laptop or desktop available to use flosports.com .
I'm not a big fan of the CAA bigwigs decision on this, but it's not hard to watch that way.

I'm not complaining about my individual ability to watch a game, I'm complaining about my ability to watch a game with a group of people without convincing the barkeep to let me hook up a Roku to their TV.

RE: End of free viewing? - nogretheogre - 12-11-2019 03:23 PM

(12-11-2019 01:56 PM)Tribe2011 Wrote:  
(12-10-2019 11:12 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  

Honestly probably easier to watch on Flo Sports than CBS sports net.

Flosports:ESPN+ as GooglePlus:Facebook

Who are we kidding? Its essentially the same service, but destined to fail and with fewer perks.

These are the conferences who went with ESPN+. Joey D is clearly outsmarting the rest of the college sports world...

Football
College Football --More than 300 college football games from conferences including:

American Athletic Conference
Big 12
Big South
The Ivy League
Metro Atlantic
Mid-American (MAC)
Missouri Valley Football Conference (MVC)
Conference USA
Ohio Valley
Southern
Southland
Sun Belt
CFL – 200+ games

Basketball
Hundreds of NCAA Men's & Women's basketball games from conferences including:

American Athletic Conference
America East
Atlantic 10
Atlantic Sun
Big 12
Big South
Horizon
The Ivy League
Metro Atlantic
Mid-American
Missouri Valley
Conference USA
Ohio Valley
Southern
Southland
Sun Belt
WAC
FIBA basketball – Hundreds of FIBA games

End of free viewing? - mrjoolius - 12-11-2019 04:20 PM

I've enjoyed the all around streaming experience with Flosports, but the bone headed pricing is so different from the standard streaming price structure of all other services. It makes it a non starter for most fans.

Flo = CAA, obscure sports like wrestling, cheerleading, cycling, and rodeo.
Ridiculous pricing that forces you to commit to an entire year

ESPN+ = Most major conference football and basketball.
Fairly reasonable pricing that is consistent and can be canceled any time.

Unless you are the most hardcore of CAA fan or a big follower of fringe sports, who is going to sign up? Short sighted and I question Flo's cost benefit for the league.

RE: End of free viewing? - Tribe32 - 12-11-2019 04:23 PM

(12-11-2019 04:20 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  I've enjoyed the all around streaming experience with Flosports, but the bone headed pricing is so different from the standard streaming price structure of all other services. It makes it a non starter for most fans.

Unless you are the most hardcore of CAA fan or a big follower of fringe sports, who is going to sign up? Short sighted and I question Flo's cost benefit for the league.

And this is why I'm not paying for it. I'll listen to the radio

RE: End of free viewing? - Zorch - 12-11-2019 04:31 PM

(12-11-2019 04:23 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  
(12-11-2019 04:20 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  I've enjoyed the all around streaming experience with Flosports, but the bone headed pricing is so different from the standard streaming price structure of all other services. It makes it a non starter for most fans.

Me too! And I think most followers of this board would say that we both are pretty hard-core die-hard Tribe fans. So if we are giving up watching the Tribe then there is something wrong with the paradigm.

RE: End of free viewing? - billymac - 12-11-2019 04:56 PM

I opted to do the monthly rate for the 6 months of football and basketball. I can then cancel till next year. Saves about $15 - $20 a year, roughly, for not having those months I wouldn't be using Flo anyway.

I still agree, it has been tough having a Commissioner who is getting his OJT at our expense.

RE: End of free viewing? - heferbovine - 12-11-2019 04:57 PM

(12-11-2019 04:31 PM)Zorch Wrote:  
(12-11-2019 04:23 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  

Me too! And I think most followers of this board would say that we both are pretty hard-core die-hard Tribe fans. So if we are giving up watching the Tribe then there is something wrong with the paradigm.

Exactly! My precise conclusion after the deal was announced and after I had a chance to review the other (non-CAA) items on the Flosports menu. This is a major and very poorly-timed means/end mismatch.

RE: End of free viewing? - tribeinexile - 12-11-2019 04:59 PM

My dilemma is that I don’t enjoy listening on the radio. I have nothing against Jay and Charlie but the agony of listening is much worse for me than following on ESPN or Live Stats.

I have ESPN+ for December which gives me a decent number of our OOC games. I’ll get Flo for January and February and then cancel.