CSNbbs
Coach Brannen's Players Moving Forward - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Coach Brannen's Players Moving Forward (/thread-875025.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Coach Brannen's Players Moving Forward - UCGrad1992 - 04-19-2019 01:45 PM

With all due respect to the players who are considering transferring to another program - and in all sincerity and appreciation I wish them the best - I am really focused on who will be on the team moving forward. Assuming the bulk of the roster stays [including Jarron], who are some players that could help our team next season? Are there any potential transfers in that you guys are aware of? I know we're just spitballin' here but I'm growing tired of worrying about who's leaving. As several posters have stated, it's an exciting opportunity to bring in some new blood with different skill sets to help our team and round out the roster.

RE: Coach Brannen's Players Moving Forward - cincybb51 - 04-19-2019 02:25 PM

It might be a situation where Jarron's decision to leave or not could cause potential grad recruits to hesitant on us. The Hauser brothers decided to leave when Howard decided to return at Marquette. Some of the top rated grad transfers might or might not depending on their ego want to play with Jarron. Also if they have a strong desire to sign on with a potential contender for next year his status is huge.

RE: Coach Brannen's Players Moving Forward - OKIcat - 04-19-2019 02:30 PM

(04-19-2019 02:25 PM)cincybb51 Wrote:  It might be a situation where Jarron's decision to leave or not could cause potential grad recruits to hesitant on us. The Hauser brothers decided to leave when Howard decided to return at Marquette. Some of the top rated grad transfers might or might not depending on their ego want to play with Jarron.

Bolded is an important point. Maybe our coach already knows. But for any prospective transfer it would be reasonable to wonder if the roster will offer both immediate playing time, and perhaps to a lesser extent, the chance to win often, get ranked and play in the postseason.

As a fan, I'll feel a lot better if and when Cumberland says he wants to finish as a Bearcat.

RE: Coach Brannen's Players Moving Forward - UCGrad1992 - 04-19-2019 02:39 PM

According to the current transfer list several of our conference mates have gained the following players:

C Yuat Alok JR 6-11 225 TCU to UCF

SG Keyshawn Embery-Simpson FR 6-3 175 Arkansas to Tulsa

C Isiah Jasey SO 6-9 220 Texas A&M to SMU

PG Darius McNeill SO 6-3 170 California to SMU

I realize this means nothing [or necessarily compares] to our current circumstances but it is encouraging.

RE: Coach Brannen's Players Moving Forward - Former Lurker - 04-19-2019 03:02 PM

(04-19-2019 01:45 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  With all due respect to the players who are considering transferring to another program - and in all sincerity and appreciation I wish them the best - I am really focused on who will be on the team moving forward. Assuming the bulk of the roster stays [including Jarron], who are some players that could help our team next season? Are there any potential transfers in that you guys are aware of? I know we're just spitballin' here but I'm growing tired of worrying about who's leaving. As several posters have stated, it's an exciting opportunity to bring in some new blood with different skill sets to help our team and round out the roster.

This is where I am, a lot more interested in who's coming than who's going.The news of all these transfers (around the NCAA, not just UC) is pretty disillusioning for the fans. It exposes the players as pure mercenaries with no loyalty to the schools that are providing free tuition, room & board. I understand if someone doesn't fit into a coach's system or doesn't figure to see playing time, he should be allowed to leave without penalty, but it seems like at least half of these transfers are of players who are wanted at their current institutions. The practice needs to be reined-in.

RE: Coach Brannen's Players Moving Forward - skylinecat - 04-19-2019 03:22 PM

(04-19-2019 03:02 PM)Former Lurker Wrote:  
(04-19-2019 01:45 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  With all due respect to the players who are considering transferring to another program - and in all sincerity and appreciation I wish them the best - I am really focused on who will be on the team moving forward. Assuming the bulk of the roster stays [including Jarron], who are some players that could help our team next season? Are there any potential transfers in that you guys are aware of? I know we're just spitballin' here but I'm growing tired of worrying about who's leaving. As several posters have stated, it's an exciting opportunity to bring in some new blood with different skill sets to help our team and round out the roster.

This is where I am, a lot more interested in who's coming than who's going.The news of all these transfers (around the NCAA, not just UC) is pretty disillusioning for the fans. It exposes the players as pure mercenaries with no loyalty to the schools that are providing free tuition, room & board. I understand if someone doesn't fit into a coach's system or doesn't figure to see playing time, he should be allowed to leave without penalty, but it seems like at least half of these transfers are of players who are wanted at their current institutions. The practice needs to be reined-in.

Unfortunately, I think the powers at be want it to go the other direction. It is going to be open season every summer. There will never be a guy like Deontae Vaughn who sticks around to help build a program back up. One good year, if you think your team is going to stink, you transfer to the best P5 school that will take you. I honestly think Brooks will end up at UK. They have no bigs for next year.

RE: Coach Brannen's Players Moving Forward - C1ncy4Life - 04-19-2019 03:30 PM

(04-19-2019 03:22 PM)skylinecat Wrote:  

Unfortunately, I think the powers at be want it to go the other direction. It is going to be open season every summer. There will never be a guy like Deontae Vaughn who sticks around to help build a program back up. One good year, if you think your team is going to stink, you transfer to the best P5 school that will take you. I honestly think Brooks will end up at UK. They have no bigs for next year.

Mid majors will develop players so they can transfer to bigger programs. In that case, we will see less Cinderella’s in the tourney as well. Seems like the powerful schools will push for it.

RE: Coach Brannen's Players Moving Forward - jarr - 04-19-2019 04:31 PM

(04-19-2019 03:30 PM)C1ncy4Life Wrote:  

Mid majors will develop players so they can transfer to bigger programs. In that case, we will see less Cinderella’s in the tourney as well. Seems like the powerful schools will push for it.

Everyone pushing for these new NCAA rules (open season transfers and paying players) don't understand it ultimately isn't about helping players it is clearly about firther seperating the elites. I am all for some common sense measures to help a kid that truly has an academic interest to get his masters degree. But 700 some odd transfers later, its becoming insane. Regardless, interest will start fading and college basketball will become as irrelevant as pro boxing.

RE: Coach Brannen's Players Moving Forward - Former Lurker - 04-19-2019 04:38 PM

(04-19-2019 04:31 PM)jarr Wrote:  
(04-19-2019 03:30 PM)C1ncy4Life Wrote:  

Everyone pushing for these new NCAA rules (open season transfers and paying players) don't understand it ultimately isn't about helping players it is clearly about firther seperating the elites. I am all for some common sense measures to help a kid that truly has an academic interest to get his masters degree. But 700 some odd transfers later, its becoming insane. Regardless, interest will start fading and college basketball will become as irrelevant as pro boxing.
Where do the votes come from for these measures? There are far more schools that stand to lose than gain.

RE: Coach Brannen's Players Moving Forward - Billy_Bearcat - 04-19-2019 04:55 PM

College free agency

RE: Coach Brannen's Players Moving Forward - Lush - 04-19-2019 05:13 PM

(04-19-2019 04:38 PM)Former Lurker Wrote:  Where do the votes come from for these measures? There are far more schools that stand to lose than gain.

Quote:"It's definitely a win in our books," Enna Selmanovic, NCAA Division I student-athlete advisory committee vice chair and a former swimmer at Cincinnati, said. "(Allowing student-athletes in certain situations to transfer and play immediately) provides student-athletes with more opportunities to have the best experience possible within their collegiate career."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-relaxes-transfer-rules-opens-immediate-eligibility-to-athletes-in-certain-situations/

RE: Coach Brannen's Players Moving Forward - mptnstr@44 - 04-20-2019 10:44 AM

(04-19-2019 05:13 PM)Lush Wrote:  
(04-19-2019 04:38 PM)Former Lurker Wrote:  Where do the votes come from for these measures? There are far more schools that stand to lose than gain.

Quote:"It's definitely a win in our books," Enna Selmanovic, NCAA Division I student-athlete advisory committee vice chair and a former swimmer at Cincinnati, said. "(Allowing student-athletes in certain situations to transfer and play immediately) provides student-athletes with more opportunities to have the best experience possible within their collegiate career."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-relaxes-transfer-rules-opens-immediate-eligibility-to-athletes-in-certain-situations/

Miss Enna, like many millennials, did not think this vote through and only evaluated this rule change for the possible short term benefit to some athletes not the long term repercussions likely to her own school.

RE: Coach Brannen's Players Moving Forward - Dannyboy - 04-20-2019 10:57 AM

https://youtu.be/cIWSEdtRosg

RE: Coach Brannen's Players Moving Forward - robertfoshizzle - 04-20-2019 11:11 AM

(04-20-2019 10:44 AM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  
(04-19-2019 05:13 PM)Lush Wrote:  

Miss Enna, like many millennials, did not think this vote through and only evaluated this rule change for the possible short term benefit to some athletes not the long term repercussions likely to her own school.

Just had to throw a dig in there at millennials, didn't you?

RE: Coach Brannen's Players Moving Forward - UCGrad1992 - 04-20-2019 06:39 PM

Spitballin' the roster next season...

Jarron Cumberland SR G
Tre Scott RS SR F
John Koz SR G
Keith Williams JR G
Trevor Moore JR G
Eliel Nsoseme JR F
Sam Martin JR G
Logan Johnson SO G
Mamoudou Diarra RS SO F
Laquill Hardnett RS FR F
Prince Gillam Toyambi RS FR F
Open Scholly
Open Scholly

We need a center to replace Brooks. Here are a few immediately available on the transfer list:

Barret Benson JR 6-10 240 Northwestern [3.3 Stars]
Jordan Dallas RS JR 6-10 220 Weber State [2.5 Stars]
Daniel Giddens RS JR 6-11 235 Alabama [4 Stars]
Jayce Johnson RS JR 7-0 235 Utah [4 Stars]
Sylvester Ogbonda RS JR 6-10 238 Georgia Tech [3 Stars]
Dominik Olejniczak RS JR 7-0 249 Ole Miss [2 Stars]
Derrik Smits RS JR 7-2 240 Valparaiso [3 Stars]
Yanni Wetzell RS JR 6-10 235 Vanderbilt [2 Stars]

I have no clue which dudes fit Brannen's system best or if there is any prior relationship or links to Brannen but they're out there to recruit.

RE: Coach Brannen's Players Moving Forward - TubaCat - 04-20-2019 06:50 PM

(04-20-2019 06:39 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Spitballin' the roster next season...

Jarron Cumberland SR G
Tre Scott RS SR F
John Koz SR G
Keith Williams JR G
Trevor Moore JR G
Eliel Nsoseme JR F
Sam Martin JR G
Logan Johnson SO G
Mamoudou Diarra RS SO F
Laquill Hardnett RS FR F
Open Scholly
Open Scholly

We need a center to replace Brooks. Here are a few immediately available on the transfer list:

I have no clue which dudes fit Brannen's system best or if there is any prior relationship or links to Brannen but they're out there to recruit.

Brooks hasn't decided to transfer yet. He's in the portal, but still hanging out/working out with the team.

RE: Coach Brannen's Players Moving Forward - C1ncy4Life - 04-20-2019 07:15 PM

(04-20-2019 06:50 PM)TubaCat Wrote:  

Jarron Cumberland SR G
Tre Scott RS SR F
John Koz SR G
Keith Williams JR G
Trevor Moore JR G
Eliel Nsoseme JR F
Sam Martin JR G
Logan Johnson SO G
Mamoudou Diarra RS SO F
Laquill Hardnett RS FR F
Open Scholly
Open Scholly

Brooks hasn't decided to transfer yet. He's in the portal, but still hanging out/working out with the team.

This is true but it still wouldn’t hurt to add a good Center, though PG is probably a much bigger need.

RE: Coach Brannen's Players Moving Forward - UCGrad1992 - 04-20-2019 07:20 PM

(04-20-2019 06:50 PM)TubaCat Wrote:  

Jarron Cumberland SR G
Tre Scott RS SR F
John Koz SR G
Keith Williams JR G
Trevor Moore JR G
Eliel Nsoseme JR F
Sam Martin JR G
Logan Johnson SO G
Mamoudou Diarra RS SO F
Laquill Hardnett RS FR F
Open Scholly
Open Scholly

That's why I used the word "spitballin." For the purposes of the OP I'm making the assumption that Brooks is gone.

RE: Coach Brannen's Players Moving Forward - UCGrad1992 - 04-20-2019 07:36 PM

(04-20-2019 07:15 PM)C1ncy4Life Wrote:  This is true but it still wouldn’t hurt to add a good Center, though PG is probably a much bigger need.

Point guards on the transfer list immediately available...

JoJo Anderson JR 6-3 170 Nevada [2.7 Stars]
Kyle Brown RS JR 5-10 150 Texas A&M–Corpus Christi [3 Stars]
Jaevin Cumberland RS JR 6-2 179 Oakland [2 Stars]
C.J. Davis RS JR 6-2 207 Columbia [2.5 Stars]
Lindsey Drew SR 6-4 180 Nevada [3 Stars]
Bakari Evelyn RS JR 6-2 180 Valparaiso [3 Stars]
Jahshire Hardnett RS JR 5-11 170 Brigham Young [2.5 Stars]
Max Hazzard RS JR 5-10 165 UC Irvine [3 Stars]
Tommy McCarthy RS JR 6-0 175 Harvard [3 Stars]
Kendall Small RS JR 6-2 180 Pacific [3.7 Stars]

RE: Coach Brannen's Players Moving Forward - C1ncy4Life - 04-20-2019 09:02 PM

(04-20-2019 07:36 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  
(04-20-2019 07:15 PM)C1ncy4Life Wrote:  This is true but it still wouldn’t hurt to add a good Center, though PG is probably a much bigger need.

Point guards on the transfer list immediately available...

JoJo Anderson JR 6-3 170 Nevada [2.7 Stars]
Kyle Brown RS JR 5-10 150 Texas A&M–Corpus Christi [3 Stars]
Jaevin Cumberland RS JR 6-2 179 Oakland [2 Stars]
C.J. Davis RS JR 6-2 207 Columbia [2.5 Stars]
Lindsey Drew SR 6-4 180 Nevada [3 Stars]
Bakari Evelyn RS JR 6-2 180 Valparaiso [3 Stars]
Jahshire Hardnett RS JR 5-11 170 Brigham Young [2.5 Stars]
Max Hazzard RS JR 5-10 165 UC Irvine [3 Stars]
Tommy McCarthy RS JR 6-0 175 Harvard [3 Stars]
Kendall Small RS JR 6-2 180 Pacific [3.7 Stars]

It’s interesting to see how some 2 Star recruits (ex-Jaevin Cumberland) develop better than some 4 Star recruits. Shows the development and dedication some of the players have.