CSNbbs
Postseason Discussion (NCAA, NIT) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: Drexel (/forum-681.html)
+----- Thread: Postseason Discussion (NCAA, NIT) (/thread-872928.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Postseason Discussion (NCAA, NIT) - dan10 - 03-18-2019 09:08 AM

Now that brackets have been established, figured we would have a discussion thread.

Hofstra drew a #7 seed against NC State and former UNCW coach Kevin Keatts. He was pretty well splitting games with UNCW at the time. This should be a track meet, but a winnable opportunity for Hofstra and the flying Wright-Foreman's.

Some other good games bound in the NIT. UNCG, the first team out, has a tough matchup against Campbell and the nations leading scorer, followed by potentially a really solid Lipscomb team. Wont be an easy run for them. There are still good opportunities against middling power teams for the mids, even if many are still road games.

Glad Belmont got a bid, not happy St John's did. The rest, I felt they did a better job than normal on the selection side of things. Certainly some questionable seeding. Think they tried too hard to place based on location. Utah State was "rewarded" with a higher seed than deserved and now get the right to play UNC in round 2. That is just cruel. Ranked teams Wofford, Cincinnati, Buffalo and Nevada all got 6 or 7 seeds. Oregon got a bump in seed for being a power conference winner, St Louis got a bump for being a winner as did St Marys. All 3 were not tournament bound prior to their championships and got respectable seeds. Few mids got paired with other mids, so the committee has given opportunities to take down power teams, now they have to take it. They even gave a 5/12 game against 2 power conferences.

Should be a lot of fun with a really interesting game tomorrow between Belmont and Temple.

RE: Postseason Discussion (NCAA, NIT) - Timer - 03-18-2019 10:46 AM

What has always annoyed me is the Big 10 complaining about their seedings when their championship game ends about 30 minutes before the announcement.

Do they really expect the committee wait until then to finalize? How about thinking of moving your tournament up one day and finish on Saturday?

RE: Postseason Discussion (NCAA, NIT) - dan10 - 03-18-2019 10:49 AM

I am sure as the tournament is approaching they want to the last guy standing, and the increased viewership it brings.

RE: Postseason Discussion (NCAA, NIT) - Timer - 03-18-2019 11:36 AM

(03-18-2019 10:49 AM)dan10 Wrote:  I am sure as the tournament is approaching they want to the last guy standing, and the increased viewership it brings.

True, but then don't ***** about seeding......

RE: Postseason Discussion (NCAA, NIT) - jcohen42 - 03-18-2019 11:38 AM

Overall, I don't see anything as egregious as the St. Mary's snub from last year. Not at all perfect, but it could definitely be worse. To my (albeit biased) eyes, replacing St John's with UNCG is a no-brainer; as it is, I probably will just watch Belmont-Temple. Would've watched Arizona State-UNCG in a heartbeat, but Arizona State-St. John's is just not compelling.

RE: Postseason Discussion (NCAA, NIT) - dan10 - 03-19-2019 06:34 AM

(03-18-2019 11:36 AM)Timer Wrote:  
(03-18-2019 10:49 AM)dan10 Wrote:  I am sure as the tournament is approaching they want to the last guy standing, and the increased viewership it brings.

True, but then don't ***** about seeding......

Sure, but they want their cake and to eat it too, as you know

RE: Postseason Discussion (NCAA, NIT) - dan10 - 03-19-2019 06:35 AM

Hofstra laying 9.5 at NC State tonight. Thats a pretty big line for a game I felt was reasonably even

RE: Postseason Discussion (NCAA, NIT) - dan10 - 03-19-2019 01:42 PM

Saw this on the UNCW board, but an interesting read about the coaches for the tournament. Goes to show being a player really does not matter in being a coach. Good coaches come from all over.

Link

RE: Postseason Discussion (NCAA, NIT) - dan10 - 03-19-2019 08:43 PM

Hofstra gets out rebounded by 17 and loses by 6 on the road at NC State. JWF got his. 29 points on 9-18 shooting, 9-9 from the line. Our old foe CJ Bryce had a big game for NC State.

RE: Postseason Discussion (NCAA, NIT) - dan10 - 03-19-2019 08:47 PM

Great game between Belmont and Temple. Still hope Belmont gets their first tournament win.

RE: Postseason Discussion (NCAA, NIT) - dan10 - 03-20-2019 10:13 AM

Congrats to Belmont on their first tournament victory as well as Dunphy on his career. Belmont never got rattled every time Temple made a run at them. They committed a bunch of dumb and silly turnovers but responded well from each. Glad they got in and glad they played like they have all season. They will give Maryland trouble, as much as that pains me to say.

In NIT games, Both UNCG and Lipscomb won and now face each other in what should be more of a final 4 game instead of a 2nd round game. Both are really good this year. No upsets in the first day except for Lipscomb in the 4/5 game.

RE: Postseason Discussion (NCAA, NIT) - J.B. - 03-21-2019 07:16 AM

Congrats to Harvard for pulling the upset over Georgetown last night in G-Town's little on campus gym.

I also see that #8 Norfolk State knocked off #1 Alabama in OT.

RE: Postseason Discussion (NCAA, NIT) - dan10 - 03-22-2019 06:32 AM

Yup and now Alabama is going to get rid of Avery Johnson as coach.

In the NCAA, some good games yesterday. Mostly close games until the nightcap. Auburn did everything in its power to lose but escaped from New Mexico State. Wofford crushed, Belmont had its chances. Nevada fell flat and turned it over like it was there job. LSU almost collapsed as well against Yale. Should be some really good games again today.

RE: Postseason Discussion (NCAA, NIT) - dan10 - 03-22-2019 01:55 PM

Cincy let Iowa get hot in the 2nd half and fell to kick off today's slate.

Oklahoma blew away Ole Miss

Northern Kentucky hanging close with Texas Tech, early 2nd. Irvine hit a 3 at the buzzer to tie it up at half with K-State. K-State finished the last just over 6 minutes without a field goal and missed their last 11 shots. Irvine took advantage.

RE: Postseason Discussion (NCAA, NIT) - dan10 - 03-25-2019 09:59 AM

Indiana escaped Arkansas over the weekend.

Lipscomb beat UNCG pretty easily in Greensboro and was favored against them as the 5 seed. Very unusual for a 5 seed to be an underdog in game 1 (@davidson) and then be a favorite on the road against the overall top seed. I was touting the Lipscomb horn as deserving until they lost late in the year to FGCU. Liberty did a good job representing their conference. Lipscomb now gets NC State on the road for a chance to head to the Garden. Lipscomb is about the last of the mid majors for the NIT, so need them to keep winning.

RE: Postseason Discussion (NCAA, NIT) - J.B. - 03-25-2019 10:32 AM

(03-25-2019 09:59 AM)dan10 Wrote:  Indiana escaped Arkansas over the weekend.

Lipscomb beat UNCG pretty easily in Greensboro and was favored against them as the 5 seed. Very unusual for a 5 seed to be an underdog in game 1 (@davidson) and then be a favorite on the road against the overall top seed. I was touting the Lipscomb horn as deserving until they lost late in the year to FGCU. Liberty did a good job representing their conference. Lipscomb now gets NC State on the road for a chance to head to the Garden. Lipscomb is about the last of the mid majors for the NIT, so need them to keep winning.

I'm sure the NIT people are crapping in their pants about the possibility of Lipscomb going to the Final Four, just like I felt they used to do with Drexel in both the preseason and postseason NIT. Lipscomb is probably much worse of a draw for the NIT being so far from NYC.

RE: Postseason Discussion (NCAA, NIT) - dan10 - 03-25-2019 10:38 AM

I doubt they really care, to be honest, I look at it from the standpoint if mid majors want to seriously be looked at for inclusion it means going on runs to the finals consistently. Having the final 8 include 1 mid major is not helping anybody believe that mid majors deserve posts over middling power conference teams.

Nobody wanted teams like Texas, TCU, NC State in the big dance, yet look who is still alive in the NIT. Meanwhile teams like Furman and UNCG are already home. Hard to make cases strong if the middling power teams continue to win. Yes i realize they get to still do it in the luxury of their own home courts (sorta) and not going on the road. But that is the reality and always has been. Majors play at home, mid majors pray for neutral but settle for road games. The mantra wont change until the good mids actually start performing when they get their chance, aka the NIT. I will go dig up the numbers I put together elsewhere, but the numbers dont lie in the NIT, mid majors disappoint year in and year out

RE: Postseason Discussion (NCAA, NIT) - jcohen42 - 03-25-2019 11:24 AM

If we look at the losses on the road, it's hard to say that the mid-majors are not at least close:

Hofstra lost to NC State by 6
Harvard lost to NC State by 1
Wright State lost to Clemson by 6
South Dakota State lost to Texas by 6
Loyola Chicago lost to Creighton by 9

The big disappointments have been Furman losing at home to Wichita State, and Lipscomb being matched up against UNCG rather than TCU or Arkansas. Change a couple things here and there, and there could easily be 2-4 mid-majors still alive.

RE: Postseason Discussion (NCAA, NIT) - dan10 - 03-25-2019 11:28 AM

Here was my post from earlier. Point being if mids want to change perception, they need to start winning, even if it is not a single program doing the winning. The past 10 years essentially have 3 of the final 4 as major conference teams and a mid makes the final 1 time every 3 years.

In the past 10 seasons, there were 16 mid majors in the semi finals out of the 40 teams. 2016 was an anomaly and had all 4. That is including the WCC, A10 and AAC as mid majors. In 10 years, 5 mids have made the finals (2 in one year, so 3 in the other 9 years)

Past 10 years (finals teams bolded):
2009: SDSU, Baylor, Notre Dame, Penn State
2010: Dayton, Mississippi, Rhode Island, North Carolina
2011: Alabama, Colorado, Washington State, Wichita State
2012: Washington, Minnesota, UMass, Stanford
2013: Baylor, BYU, Maryland, Iowa
2014: SMU, Clemson, Minnesota, Florida State
2015: Temple, Miami (FL), Stanford, ODU
2016: George Washington, SDSU, BYU, Valpo
2017: Georgia Tech, Cal State Bakerfield, UCF, TCU
2018: Penn State, Mississippi State, Western Kentucky, Utah

RE: Postseason Discussion (NCAA, NIT) - dan10 - 03-25-2019 11:31 AM

(03-25-2019 11:24 AM)jcohen42 Wrote:  If we look at the losses on the road, it's hard to say that the mid-majors are not at least close:

Hofstra lost to NC State by 6
Harvard lost to NC State by 1
Wright State lost to Clemson by 6
South Dakota State lost to Texas by 6
Loyola Chicago lost to Creighton by 9

The big disappointments have been Furman losing at home to Wichita State, and Lipscomb being matched up against UNCG rather than TCU or Arkansas. Change a couple things here and there, and there could easily be 2-4 mid-majors still alive.

It never works that way, though. Mids get paired all the time. Still gotta get wins, not just get close. Wichita State came on strong late and they continue that push by knocking off Clemson. Losing competitive games is not going to help change perception that they should get the nod over middling power teams. At the core, teams need to win, even on the road. A tournament setting like the NIT is also helpful for seeing how they might do in the NCAA. So far results are exactly why middling power teams keep getting considered and mids are easily refused access.