CSNbbs
SoCon Commissioner - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SoConbbs (/forum-266.html)
+---- Forum: SoCon Team Talk (/forum-944.html)
+----- Forum: ETSU (/forum-335.html)
+----- Thread: SoCon Commissioner (/thread-872807.html)

Pages: 1 2

SoCon Commissioner - Stateman - 03-16-2019 10:58 PM

I see that the SoCon Commissioner is stepping down at the end of June. Hopefully the new person will be able to better market the conference.

RE: SoCon Commissioner - Buc66 - 03-17-2019 10:08 AM

(03-16-2019 10:58 PM)Stateman Wrote:  I see that the SoCon Commissioner is stepping down at the end of June. Hopefully the new person will be able to better market the conference.

Starting with better TV deals.

RE: SoCon Commissioner - Buccaneerlover - 03-17-2019 01:53 PM

The SEC is guaranteed so much inventory with the network deal with ESPN, then the ACC and Big 12. Getting on ESPN is going to be tough for the forseeable future.

RE: SoCon Commissioner - bucfan81 - 03-17-2019 02:46 PM

Just something with ANY of the cable channels. If the Big South, MEAC and others can get routine tv games then the SoCon should too. They need to get us in the game!

RE: SoCon Commissioner - etsubuc - 03-17-2019 06:00 PM

There is FS1, NBC sports, CBS Sports, etc. I would be happy with any of them.

RE: SoCon Commissioner - bucfan81 - 03-17-2019 06:25 PM

(03-17-2019 06:00 PM)etsubuc Wrote:  There is FS1, NBC sports, CBS Sports, etc. I would be happy with any of them.

Yes! Any of them would be better than the zero we have now.

RE: SoCon Commissioner - GoBucsGo - 03-17-2019 07:39 PM

(03-17-2019 01:53 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  The SEC is guaranteed so much inventory with the network deal with ESPN, then the ACC and Big 12. Getting on ESPN is going to be tough for the forseeable future.

Then why does the OVC and Horizon league get games on ESPN on Thursday & Friday nights? Without a doubt, that helped Belmont get that at-large bid this year. Glad to see Iamarino go - hopefully the next person can market the league better.

RE: SoCon Commissioner - Coach Bonez89 - 03-17-2019 08:08 PM

SoCon needs to get a couple espn2/U regular season games a year. They are too good a league not to. What happened to SoCon Saturday's on FSN from back in the day? They won't have the ACC anymore once their network launches in August. Could at least get more regionally broadcasted games.

RE: SoCon Commissioner - Buccaneerlover - 03-20-2019 09:17 PM

(03-17-2019 07:39 PM)GoBucsGo Wrote:  
(03-17-2019 01:53 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  The SEC is guaranteed so much inventory with the network deal with ESPN, then the ACC and Big 12. Getting on ESPN is going to be tough for the forseeable future.

Then why does the OVC and Horizon league get games on ESPN on Thursday & Friday nights? Without a doubt, that helped Belmont get that at-large bid this year. Glad to see Iamarino go - hopefully the next person can market the league better.

They fill in the gaps. I'd love to see it, even the occasional ESPN News game would be something.

RE: SoCon Commissioner - Mister Consistency - 03-22-2019 02:09 PM

(03-17-2019 06:00 PM)etsubuc Wrote:  There is FS1, NBC sports, CBS Sports, etc. I would be happy with any of them.

Why would any of them want a regional, traditionally one-bid mid-major basketball league? Even the A10 and CAA struggle to get good coverage and they have teams in larger markets.

We would be paying out of pocket to get onto any of those networks, and the SoCon doesn't have the money for that.

RE: SoCon Commissioner - bucfan81 - 03-22-2019 04:49 PM

(03-22-2019 02:09 PM)Mister Consistency Wrote:  

Why would any of them want a regional, traditionally one-bid mid-major basketball league? Even the A10 and CAA struggle to get good coverage and they have teams in larger markets.

We would be paying out of pocket to get onto any of those networks, and the SoCon doesn't have the money for that.

Because other lower, weaker one bids leagues get tv games.

RE: SoCon Commissioner - Buc66 - 03-22-2019 04:53 PM

(03-22-2019 04:49 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  

Because other lower, weaker one bids leagues get tv games.

Are these lower, weaker one bid leagues paying money to be on television?

RE: SoCon Commissioner - Efan - 03-23-2019 06:52 AM

If the conference seriously would have to pay, I would rather stick with the espn3 format. That way I can watch even if I’m out of town and alums who live out of the area can tune in.

RE: SoCon Commissioner - Brandon_Keys - 03-23-2019 12:32 PM

Does anyone know who they would like to see as the new Commish?

I think it's an attractive spot, for someone that knows what they wanna do with it. Not just collect the check, as it were.

Ted Gumbart maybe? Kidding, but maybe pulling from a basketball centered conference might not be a bad move this time.

RE: SoCon Commissioner - ETSUAlumni - 03-23-2019 04:18 PM

Dr sander

RE: SoCon Commissioner - Mister Consistency - 03-24-2019 06:25 PM

(03-23-2019 06:52 AM)Efan Wrote:  

If the conference seriously would have to pay, I would rather stick with the espn3 format. That way I can watch even if I’m out of town and alums who live out of the area can tune in.

The league would likely have to buy the airtime and sell the advertising itself, or negotiate through an intermediary like Learfield-IMG and take a flat fee, but the margins would be so small that a third-party might not view it as worthwhile.

What I'd be curious about if we're concerned about TV distribution is what kind of wiggle room there is for OTA TV in the ESPN agreement. The MVFC allows this: South Dakota State, South Dakota, North Dakota, and Illinois State are on cable RSNs while North Dakota State and Northern Iowa are on OTA television. Imagine our games on WJHL or even just WKPT with out of market streaming on ESPN+. I don't know the exact logistics of how it would work, but I have to think there would be value there for 11 to 13 football dates.

RE: SoCon Commissioner - bucfan81 - 03-24-2019 07:46 PM

Why do not we figure out how the Big South, MEAC, OVC and others managed to get tv deals?

RE: SoCon Commissioner - Mister Consistency - 03-25-2019 12:15 AM

(03-24-2019 07:46 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  Why do not we figure out how the Big South, MEAC, OVC and others managed to get tv deals?

The Big South, MEAC, OVC, etc. all have virtually identical media deals. They get ESPN3/ESPN+ for the vast majority of their football games (except for select events featuring the HBCU conferences that might have separate arrangements with ESPN), and their basketball championship games are on linear ESPN channels. Occasional matchups like Murray State/Belmont are optioned to ESPNU or ESPN2, but that is built into every contract ESPN has with a league.

RE: SoCon Commissioner - brock20 - 03-25-2019 11:05 AM

(03-24-2019 06:25 PM)Mister Consistency Wrote:  What I'd be curious about if we're concerned about TV distribution is what kind of wiggle room there is for OTA TV in the ESPN agreement. The MVFC allows this: South Dakota State, South Dakota, North Dakota, and Illinois State are on cable RSNs while North Dakota State and Northern Iowa are on OTA television. Imagine our games on WJHL or even just WKPT with out of market streaming on ESPN+. I don't know the exact logistics of how it would work, but I have to think there would be value there for 11 to 13 football dates.

The SoCon deal allows for this as well. That is why we saw a couple of basketball games on the Nexstar affiliates (WJHL, ABC Tri-Cities). I dont know why the local stations wouldnt carry a few games.

RE: SoCon Commissioner - Buccaneerlover - 03-25-2019 08:31 PM

(03-25-2019 11:05 AM)brock20 Wrote:  
(03-24-2019 06:25 PM)Mister Consistency Wrote:  What I'd be curious about if we're concerned about TV distribution is what kind of wiggle room there is for OTA TV in the ESPN agreement. The MVFC allows this: South Dakota State, South Dakota, North Dakota, and Illinois State are on cable RSNs while North Dakota State and Northern Iowa are on OTA television. Imagine our games on WJHL or even just WKPT with out of market streaming on ESPN+. I don't know the exact logistics of how it would work, but I have to think there would be value there for 11 to 13 football dates.

The SoCon deal allows for this as well. That is why we saw a couple of basketball games on the Nexstar affiliates (WJHL, ABC Tri-Cities). I dont know why the local stations wouldnt carry a few games.

1. They can't sell it.
2. Their corporate owners don't want to staff the production staff to do it.
3. Sadly, WCYB and WJHL both don't have the talent in the control rooms they used to, and it would look like crap.
Now if they could add for football, two more cameras on the top side, one more sideline camera, and one more endzone cam, the stream would look great. But again, money and people.