CSNbbs
WAC basketball week 17 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: WACbbs (/forum-376.html)
+--- Thread: WAC basketball week 17 (/thread-871240.html)

Pages: 1 2

WAC basketball week 17 - NMSUPistolPete - 02-25-2019 06:03 AM

This week games...

Tuesday...
Utah Valley @ Seattle U

Wednesday...
Eastern New Mexico @ Grand Canyon

Thursday...
UT Rio Grande Valley @ Chicago State
New Mexico State @ UM Kansas City
Seattle U. @ California Baptist

Saturday...
New Mexico State @ Chicago State
UT Rio Grande Valley @ UM Kansas City
California State Bakersfield @ Grand Canyon
Utah Valley @ California Baptist

RE: WAC basketball week 17 - NMSUPistolPete - 02-25-2019 03:12 PM

The non-Aggie Terrell Brown was selected as WAC POTW. Seattle U had a good week defeating Chicago State and UM Kansas City. They are on the verge of getting healthy.

RE: WAC basketball week 17 - Lopes87 - 02-25-2019 03:39 PM

Do we all realize that if I remember correctly everyone named WAC POW has had the honors after the UMKC/CSU week beside I think 2 weeks....

RE: WAC basketball week 17 - gleadley - 02-25-2019 05:06 PM

(02-25-2019 03:39 PM)Lopes87 Wrote:  Do we all realize that if I remember correctly everyone named WAC POW has had the honors after the UMKC/CSU week beside I think 2 weeks....

It's more than 2 weeks, but the last 4 in a row that have come against UMKC/CSU (Brown v. 2/25; Finke @ 2/18; Heading v. 2/11; Levi v. 2/5).

The rest of WAC play has looked like this:

1/28 - Joiner (CSUB) @ Cal Baptist
1/21 - Chuha (NMSU) @ Seattle U/UVU
1/14 - Harward (UVU) v. Seattle U
1/7 - Acquaah (Cal Baptist) v. NMSU/UTRGV

For what it's worth, which is nothing at all 03-wink, I think Chuha's carries the most weight. Acquaah probably did it against the two strongest combined opponents, but Chuha did it on the road against the next strongest combined opponents.

RE: WAC basketball week 17 - ProfScott - 02-26-2019 09:01 AM

(02-25-2019 03:12 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  The non-Aggie Terrell Brown was selected as WAC POTW. Seattle U had a good week defeating Chicago State and UM Kansas City. They are on the verge of getting healthy.
Non-Aggie Terrell Brown. Why not just say Seattle's Terrell Brown?

RE: WAC basketball week 17 - SoCalBobcat78 - 02-26-2019 11:00 AM

(02-25-2019 05:06 PM)gleadley Wrote:  
(02-25-2019 03:39 PM)Lopes87 Wrote:  Do we all realize that if I remember correctly everyone named WAC POW has had the honors after the UMKC/CSU week beside I think 2 weeks....

It's more than 2 weeks, but the last 4 in a row that have come against UMKC/CSU (Brown v. 2/25; Finke @ 2/18; Heading v. 2/11; Levi v. 2/5).

For what it's worth, which is nothing at all 03-wink, I think Chuha's carries the most weight. Acquaah probably did it against the two strongest combined opponents, but Chuha did it on the road against the next strongest combined opponents.

The performance by Acquaah was the best in the conference this season. Scoring 36 points and grabbing 7 rebounds against the best team in the conference, in a game they never trailed in, was an amazing performance. The only loss in conference by NMSU. Chuha did have a good game against UVU. But not nearly as good as Acquaah and beating UVU on the road was not an upset.

Chuha, who played at East Valley High School in Redlands, had a terrible game against CBU that night. He had zero points and three rebounds in 11 minutes. He did not look right for some reason. He is from the area and I thought he would play better than that.

RE: WAC basketball week 17 - NMSUPistolPete - 02-26-2019 11:16 AM

(02-26-2019 09:01 AM)ProfScott Wrote:  
(02-25-2019 03:12 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  The non-Aggie Terrell Brown was selected as WAC POTW. Seattle U had a good week defeating Chicago State and UM Kansas City. They are on the verge of getting healthy.
Non-Aggie Terrell Brown. Why not just say Seattle's Terrell Brown?

Because both teams signed a "Terrell Brown". NMSU's Terrell Brown came to the Aggie program with a lot of hype; out of west coast power CCSF... CCCAA NorCal Player of the Year... a Top 100 JC player prospect. Seattle's Terrell Brown was a last minute acquisition out of Shoreline CC from the lesser known NWAC... however he was NWAA Freshman of the Year and averaged over 30 ppg at Shoreline. For being a last minute addition, Seattle's Terrell Brown has turned out to be a very good player. He was supposed to be the "other" Terrell Brown. Clearly, Seattle's Terrell Brown is one of the better guards in the WAC.

RE: WAC basketball week 17 - NMSUPistolPete - 02-26-2019 11:37 AM

(02-26-2019 11:00 AM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  

The performance by Acquaah was the best in the conference this season. Scoring 36 points and grabbing 7 rebounds against the best team in the conference, in a game they never trailed in, was an amazing performance. The only loss in conference by NMSU. Chuha did have a good game against UVU. But not nearly as good as Acquaah and beating UVU on the road was not an upset.

Chuha, who played at East Valley High School in Redlands, had a terrible game against CBU that night. He had zero points and three rebounds in 11 minutes. He did not look right for some reason. He is from the area and I thought he would play better than that.

As good as NMSU has been this season, beating UVU in Orem might not have been an "upset" but it was an accomplishment. UVU was riding a 23 game home winning streak going into that game. They beat NMSU is Orem the year prior. Currently, the NMSU loss is their only home loss. So, Chuha did have a great performance in a meaningful game. That being said, I feel Acquaah's game against NMSU was probably the best single game performance in WAC play this season.

RE: WAC basketball week 17 - RoosHouse - 02-26-2019 11:58 AM

All of them except Finke have been when UMKC/CSU are away. The travel those two teams does affects you especially on the second leg. Seattle is the farthest flight from Kansas City in the continental US. We usually split against Seattle for this reason regardless of team standings. I thought Seattle played a very good game on Thursday and is a lot better than their record indicates. We needed our drunk fans in Seattle.

RE: WAC basketball week 17 - NMSUPistolPete - 02-27-2019 11:49 AM

For those who care, Utah Valley defeated Seattle U in Seattle last night, 77-68. The game between UVU and GCU looms large in the final WAC tourney seedings.

RE: WAC basketball week 17 - NMSUPistolPete - 02-27-2019 11:35 PM

GCU blows by Eastern New Mexico 95-64. Michael Finke went off for 38 points.

RE: WAC basketball week 17 - edinburger - 02-28-2019 10:25 PM

UTRGV barely escaped Chicago State after being down 11 at the half. Either they're getting better, or we're backsliding, or both.

RE: WAC basketball week 17 - MidWestMidMajor - 03-01-2019 12:01 AM

Nice battle between Seattle and CBU. Seattle was hot shooting in the 1st half and held the lead until CBU tied with :28 in the game. SU gets a shot off with :08, it rolls around the rim and goes in. CBU takes a 3 pt shot at the last second, it goes about half way down but comes out. Final SU 67, CBU 65. CBU was cold from the field, but SU put them on the line 32 times and CBU hit 25 of them. (SU was only 5 of 7.)

RE: WAC basketball week 17 - Vaqueronation - 03-01-2019 12:15 AM

(02-28-2019 10:25 PM)edinburger Wrote:  UTRGV barely escaped Chicago State after being down 11 at the half. Either they're getting better, or we're backsliding, or both.

It's our be down double digits in the first half strategy. 50 percent of the time it works 100 percent of the time.

RE: WAC basketball week 17 - SoCalBobcat78 - 03-01-2019 01:38 AM

(03-01-2019 12:01 AM)MidWestMidMajor Wrote:  Nice battle between Seattle and CBU. Seattle was hot shooting in the 1st half and held the lead until CBU tied with :28 in the game. SU gets a shot off with :08, it rolls around the rim and goes in. CBU takes a 3 pt shot at the last second, it goes about half way down but comes out. Final SU 67, CBU 65. CBU was cold from the field, but SU put them on the line 32 times and CBU hit 25 of them. (SU was only 5 of 7.)

I just got back from the game. You are right, Seattle was hot for most of the game, then went ice cold down the stretch. Seattle really brought it tonight and CBU didn’t match the intensity until late. CBU was living from the line because Seattle was fouling a lot. The refs could have called another half dozen fouls on Seattle. The refs let them play or just lost control. Take your pick.

Seattle is better than a #7 seed. I would not want to face them in the tournament. At the end of the game, after Jordan Heading missed the game winner, Myles Carter came over to the CBU side and started taunting the players. The guy is intense on the court and I like that, but he looked like an idiot after the game. After the players were separated, Carter was taunting the fans as he walked off the court, with the fans booing him.

RE: WAC basketball week 17 - holaMesilla - 03-01-2019 02:01 AM

nmsu takes the men’s conference prize..in fine fashion! Looking forward to the tournament. Go Aggies!

RE: WAC basketball week 17 - Todor - 03-01-2019 05:29 AM

(03-01-2019 01:38 AM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  
(03-01-2019 12:01 AM)MidWestMidMajor Wrote:  Nice battle between Seattle and CBU. Seattle was hot shooting in the 1st half and held the lead until CBU tied with :28 in the game. SU gets a shot off with :08, it rolls around the rim and goes in. CBU takes a 3 pt shot at the last second, it goes about half way down but comes out. Final SU 67, CBU 65. CBU was cold from the field, but SU put them on the line 32 times and CBU hit 25 of them. (SU was only 5 of 7.)

I just got back from the game. You are right, Seattle was hot for most of the game, then went ice cold down the stretch. Seattle really brought it tonight and CBU didn’t match the intensity until late. CBU was living from the line because Seattle was fouling a lot. The refs could have called another half dozen fouls on Seattle. The refs let them play or just lost control. Take your pick.

Seattle is better than a #7 seed. I would not want to face them in the tournament. At the end of the game, after Jordan Heading missed the game winner, Myles Carter came over to the CBU side and started taunting the players. The guy is intense on the court and I like that, but he looked like an idiot after the game. After the players were separated, Carter was taunting the fans as he walked off the court, with the fans booing him.

It looked like a scuffle could have almost broken out. Both teams were kind of just there at mid court. I don't think the teams shook hands either.

RE: WAC basketball week 17 - MidWestMidMajor - 03-01-2019 08:11 AM

I like how CBU never gave up. SU hit 7 3-pointers in the 1st half to build a lead while CBU's shooting was cold. But CBU stayed disciplined. They would cut the lead, then SU would build it back up again. That happened several times. They could have quit, "Oh well, tonight's just not our night". But in the last 6 minutes CBU went on a 12-0 run to tie the game. SU got only 1 free throw attempt in the entire 2nd half. Good discipline, team work, effort. I heard the coach say after the game that Saturday's game is Senior night, and they have only 1 graduating senior (Heading). So basically this whole team comes back next year.

RE: WAC basketball week 17 - SoCalBobcat78 - 03-01-2019 12:48 PM

(03-01-2019 08:11 AM)MidWestMidMajor Wrote:  I like how CBU never gave up. SU hit 7 3-pointers in the 1st half to build a lead while CBU's shooting was cold. But CBU stayed disciplined. They would cut the lead, then SU would build it back up again. That happened several times. They could have quit, "Oh well, tonight's just not our night". But in the last 6 minutes CBU went on a 12-0 run to tie the game. SU got only 1 free throw attempt in the entire 2nd half. Good discipline, team work, effort. I heard the coach say after the game that Saturday's game is Senior night, and they have only 1 graduating senior (Heading). So basically this whole team comes back next year.

Rick Croy, the CBU head coach, grabbed the microphone after the scuffle was broken up and addressed the crowd. He thanked the fans for coming out, congratulated Seattle on their win and implored the fans to come out for senior night against Utah Valley, to celebrate Jordan Heading's time at CBU. Not only was it classy but he diffused things a bit.

CBU games are very much a family environment, there are a lot of kids at the game and I think the last thing they want after a game is a brawl on the court. They do not want a repeat of what happened in Utah after the UVU vs NMSU game in 2014.

Croy is an excellent coach and his teams are disciplined. He uses timeouts well and makes good adjustments. They are #3 in the country in free throw percentage. They can shoot. They need some better depth and a little more athleticism.

RE: WAC basketball week 17 - MidWestMidMajor - 03-01-2019 04:55 PM

(03-01-2019 12:48 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  They need some better depth and a little more athleticism.

I was thinking that their bigs need to hit the weight room this off-season and get a bit stronger. SU had an advantage in rebounds and points in the paint.