CSNbbs
NATHAN KNIGHT - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: NATHAN KNIGHT (/thread-870585.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: NATHAN KNIGHT - Tribeguy1960 - 05-29-2019 01:28 PM

With Nate back, what will the potential starting lineup look like? Loewe, Scott, Blair, vanVleit, Knight?

Sounds good to me. Problem will clearly be depth.

RE: NATHAN KNIGHT - Tribeheart - 05-29-2019 01:32 PM

Regarding Nate and Dane, Fischer was the point recruiter for Bucknell when they brought in 6'11" Mike Muscala, who was from Dane's stomping ground in Minn. Two time Patriot League POY, Muscala was drafted in 2013 and is currently with the Lakers. Muscala developed his shooting beyond the arc, similar to Nate's need, so, Dane has tangible experience.

RE: NATHAN KNIGHT - wml33t - 05-29-2019 01:37 PM

This is great news for two reasons..

1. We have Nate back
2. We can stop seeing the ridiculous posts claiming there was some realistic scenario where Nate left to go play in the G-League or Europe

NATHAN KNIGHT - wmmii - 05-29-2019 01:41 PM

(05-29-2019 01:28 PM)Tribeguy1960 Wrote:  With Nate back, what will the potential starting lineup look like? Loewe, Scott, Blair, vanVleit, Knight?

Williams instead of Scott at SG otherwise agree until we determine talent of grad transfer(s) and freshmen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RE: NATHAN KNIGHT - LION KING - 05-29-2019 01:41 PM

(05-29-2019 12:58 PM)ColonelEbirt Wrote:  I wonder when he told the staff? Seems like it's been known for at least a little while given the coordinated marketing campaign, "I'm back" video (which I'm assuming the school helped him produce but I could be wrong), etc.

An exciting day in Tribeland for sure. Let's keep it rolling.

Big Nate questions:

- How much will Nate truly lead the team this year? He was our best player last year, will be again this year. But I would not say he was our undisputed leader last year (IMO we didn't have one, which was part of our problem).

- Can Nate align with Dane? Per the above, if he's going to lead this team, he needs to be an extension of Dane on the floor. Hopefully they see eye-to-eye and he can get on-board with Dane's vision for this coming year, as well as be excited about helping to launch Dane's vision for the future.

- Will Nate put up the best statistical season we have ever seen at W&M? With the new team configuration, he has a better chance to have a mind-blowing stat line. Not saying it would the best outcome for our team (we obviously need other guys to step up and contribute), but if we rely on Nate as much as it seems like we should, I'm giddy thinking about his stats. Yes, teams will focus on him even more because the talent around him is weaker, but there's no one in the CAA who can stop him. If he touches the ball / shoots the ball incrementally more this year than last, his stats will pop even further.

Talent may be weaker, but this team could and should be better !! No one will be fighting for the ball and shots !!

go tribe !!!

RE: NATHAN KNIGHT - Naptown Tribe - 05-29-2019 01:42 PM

(05-29-2019 01:28 PM)Tribeguy1960 Wrote:  With Nate back, what will the potential starting lineup look like? Loewe, Scott, Blair, vanVleit, Knight?

I don't think Loewe and Scott both start ... I think Scott begins on the bench ... I think right now nothing is owed to anyone because it's a new coach who doesn't have loyalty to returning players and a new system so even returners are learning a new system ... I'd say there will be some heavy competition at the 1,2, and 3 spots for starting roles & PT depending on if who else we bring in. For instance if we get the St. Joe's grad transfer, he'll compete right away to start. As it stands, I think it's Loewe at the 1, VV and Nate at the 4 & 5 with a competition between Williams, Blair, Hamilton and Ayesa for minutes and starting role at the 2/3 spots. It'll be up to who plays the best and who can D it up. The guys have to know there is lots of opportunity; hope they all put in a lot of work this summer and may the best guys get the time on the court. A lot will be determined by who works the hardest this summer to improve and how their skills fit Coach Fischer's offensive and defensive schemes.

Competition is a very good thing. May the cream rise.

RE: NATHAN KNIGHT - Old tribe - 05-29-2019 03:38 PM

(05-29-2019 01:26 PM)Tribe2011 Wrote:  
(05-29-2019 01:15 PM)TribeFam321 Wrote:  Nate had the highest usage in the conference last year (possessions that ended through him), even above Wright-Foreman. It’s difficult to see that usage going up even higher with Van Vliet eligible at the same position. For it to stay the same or go higher, we will probably see a twin towers lineup. Team will definitely feature those two a ton. Will be difficult to stop given the lack of center/pf depth in the conference.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out, and this will be a real test of Fischer’s coaching acumen. I will be curious to see how Knight and Van Vliet play together on the defensive end in particular. Offensively I’d think they would mesh well as VV is more of a perimeter player on offense and he hasn’t demonstrated much interest or success in playing down low, although obviously the Big Ten is a much different animal in the paint. Either way – having a lineup with two bigs who can also shoot the three should provide for a lot of options.

Defensively is going to be another story though. In today’s game, you really need at least a 4 (and ideally a 5 also) who can chase shooters and more mobile bigs around the perimeter as needed. I hope Van Vliet can do that, but if he can’t it’s really going to be an impediment defensively. Knight can a bit, but he also seems to pick up more fouls away from the basket than down low (he’s learned to play one on one defense without fouling pretty well, but has problems off the ball and when he steps out to guard a shooter). Could lead to some defensive challenges.

A lot hinges on what VV can do on both ends. If he can be a CAA-average starter at the 4, that would be huge. But that remains to be seen.

Van Vliet is definitely going to play the 4. And he's a perimeter oriented 4. That's where he played at Wisconsin alongside Ethan Happ at the 5. Over half of his shot attempts at Wisconsin during his 2 seasons there were 3 point attempts.

RE: NATHAN KNIGHT - Old tribe - 05-29-2019 03:40 PM

(05-29-2019 01:37 PM)wml33t Wrote:  This is great news for two reasons..

1. We have Nate back
2. We can stop seeing the ridiculous posts claiming there was some realistic scenario where Nate left to go play in the G-League or Europe

Totally agree.

RE: NATHAN KNIGHT - WMTRIBE75 - 05-29-2019 04:35 PM

Bless you Nate. Thanks for deciding to give us one final year. You made my day.

GO TRIBE!!

NATHAN KNIGHT - mrjoolius - 05-29-2019 05:02 PM

I know Nate said he's coming back, but do you think he decides last minute to go play in Europe? Or the G-league perhaps?

RE: NATHAN KNIGHT - tribeintexas - 05-29-2019 05:15 PM

Aside from basketball, I am glad Nate decided to finish his college education.

NATHAN KNIGHT - ColonelEbirt - 05-29-2019 05:26 PM

(05-29-2019 03:38 PM)Old tribe Wrote:  
(05-29-2019 01:26 PM)Tribe2011 Wrote:  
(05-29-2019 01:15 PM)TribeFam321 Wrote:  Nate had the highest usage in the conference last year (possessions that ended through him), even above Wright-Foreman. It’s difficult to see that usage going up even higher with Van Vliet eligible at the same position. For it to stay the same or go higher, we will probably see a twin towers lineup. Team will definitely feature those two a ton. Will be difficult to stop given the lack of center/pf depth in the conference.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out, and this will be a real test of Fischer’s coaching acumen. I will be curious to see how Knight and Van Vliet play together on the defensive end in particular. Offensively I’d think they would mesh well as VV is more of a perimeter player on offense and he hasn’t demonstrated much interest or success in playing down low, although obviously the Big Ten is a much different animal in the paint. Either way – having a lineup with two bigs who can also shoot the three should provide for a lot of options.

Defensively is going to be another story though. In today’s game, you really need at least a 4 (and ideally a 5 also) who can chase shooters and more mobile bigs around the perimeter as needed. I hope Van Vliet can do that, but if he can’t it’s really going to be an impediment defensively. Knight can a bit, but he also seems to pick up more fouls away from the basket than down low (he’s learned to play one on one defense without fouling pretty well, but has problems off the ball and when he steps out to guard a shooter). Could lead to some defensive challenges.

A lot hinges on what VV can do on both ends. If he can be a CAA-average starter at the 4, that would be huge. But that remains to be seen.

Van Vliet is definitely going to play the 4. And he's a perimeter oriented 4. That's where he played at Wisconsin alongside Ethan Happ at the 5. Over half of his shot attempts at Wisconsin during his 2 seasons there were 3 point attempts.

We don’t know what offense Dane will run so projecting positions now is kinda silly, but if there is some sort of 2 big + 3 guard lineup, I could actually see Quinn starting at 4 and AVV starting at 3. Quinn isn’t as tall, but based on what we saw last year, he’s got a nose to bang inside more than what we’ve seen from AVV’s Wisconsin days. Perhaps there’s no difference between the 3 and 4 in our system next year, but if so, this could be a consideration. Even still, I think we’re more likely to see AVV at 4 bc we just won’t find people in the CAA who can match his height down low, if he’s willing to ever wander down there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: NATHAN KNIGHT - Odysseus - 05-29-2019 05:35 PM

Expect to see a lot of lineups starting based on practice and switching for matchups.

Right now I think you see - VV, N, Harvey, Loewe and Hamilton. Scott/Blair need to improve shooting significantly and quickness as well. Dane will run motion with spread 3, 4, 5. Its paper thin still. I think Dane will take one more grad transfer before all is done.

Not to knock Dane, but should'nt the press release say "win championships" instead of "compete for championships" with our new way of not "shying away" from high standards? We were competing for championships already.
At the end of the day we've traded Cam Brown for Tyler Hamilton. I'd like Huge and Dane to walk the walk and schedule St. Josephs on the road this year, along with 1 home 2 away deals with an ACC, B10, and SEC. If she schedules a soft schedule then we are shying away. We have to win the CAA to go, so schedule up.

RE: NATHAN KNIGHT - tribeintexas - 05-29-2019 05:39 PM

(05-29-2019 05:35 PM)Odysseus Wrote:  

Expect to see a lot of lineups starting based on practice and switching for matchups.

Right now I think you see - VV, N, Harvey, Loewe and Hamilton. Scott/Blair need to improve shooting significantly and quickness as well. Dane will run motion with spread 3, 4, 5. Its paper thin still. I think Dane will take one more grad transfer before all is done.

Not to knock Dane, but should'nt the press release say "win championships" instead of "compete for championships" with our new way of not "shying away" from high standards? We were competing for championships already.
At the end of the day we've traded Cam Brown for Tyler Hamilton. I'd like Huge and Dane to walk the walk and schedule St. Josephs on the road this year, along with 1 home 2 away deals with an ACC, B10, and SEC. If she schedules a soft schedule then we are shying away. We have to win the CAA to go, so schedule up.

Even with Nathan's return, we just have 10 players. We will have to take one more grad transfer plus two walk on players to get to 13 players.

RE: NATHAN KNIGHT - Old tribe - 05-29-2019 06:13 PM

That would be a really big lineup and could struggle on defense, especially in the CAA where most 3s tend to be smaller, quicker guys. On the other hand it would be hard for most CAA teams to guard that lineup.

RE: NATHAN KNIGHT - TDenverFan - 05-29-2019 06:14 PM

(05-29-2019 05:39 PM)tribeintexas Wrote:  

Even with Nathan's return, we just have 10 players. We will have to take one more grad transfer plus two walk on players to get to 13 players.

We just got a grad transfer from Wisconsin Milwaukee, so that puts us at 11

RE: NATHAN KNIGHT - bubbadog57 - 05-30-2019 05:30 AM

Wisconsin-Milwaukee graduate point guard Bryce Barnes, a 5-10 speedster, disher and penetrator, captain of UW-Mil changes everything.
Started as a soph there, captain last season (Graduated in three years), he might light a fire for the team next season.

RE: NATHAN KNIGHT - Tribeheart - 06-11-2019 04:23 PM

https://www.dailypress.com/sports/william-and-mary/dp-spt-nathan-knight-wm-0612-story.html

“Some people are a little uneasy about how much I love this place — I don’t know why,” Knight said. “But William & Mary has really grown on me. We rank high in a lot of things, and once you get on campus and experience the people, it just sticks with you.
“One of the biggest things that brought me back was the people and how welcome I feel. It’s a lovely place, it really is.”

Don't agree with Dave Johnson's statement that we will be at or near the bottom in the preseason poll.

RE: NATHAN KNIGHT - mrjoolius - 06-11-2019 04:53 PM

(06-11-2019 04:23 PM)Tribeheart Wrote:  Don't agree with Dave Johnson's statement that we will be at or near the bottom in the preseason poll.

I don't agree either, but it isn't an unreasonable take. There are so many new moving pieces that we have no clue how it will work out.
-The known... Nathan Knight is a beast.
-Even with that constant, what offense will we run? My guess is the 4 out offense is gone in favor of a more traditional 2 big set.
-Can our guards do enough to keep defenses honest?
-Can a mix of our new guard pieces approach the output of Audige/Owens?
-Is Barnes the answer to our erratic PG play?
-Can Van Vliet replace what we lost in Pierce?
-Who of the returning guys will take the next step? Blair? Harvey? Loewe?
-Is any freshman ready for prime time? The only one that feels ready right away could be Rainers H.
-Will Coach Fischer's focus on defense pay dividends?
-Will the team remember how to shoot free throws with a new coach?
-Who will step up to be the leader? Should be Knight, but will he do it? Maybe Barnes? I would love if the seniors collectively set the tone.

I think middle of the pack is about right with a real chance to exceed expectations or completely fall apart depending on leadership.

RE: NATHAN KNIGHT - Zorch - 06-11-2019 11:01 PM

(06-11-2019 04:23 PM)Tribeheart Wrote:  https://www.dailypress.com/sports/william-and-mary/dp-spt-nathan-knight-wm-0612-story.html

Don't agree with Dave Johnson's statement that we will be at or near the bottom in the preseason poll.

This is the quote I liked: "They say that’s something [defense] I really need to emphasize going into next season.”

I also agree that I disagree with Johnson's statement. No matter what else we have on the team, we still have CAA First Teamer, probable preseason POY, and far and away the best big man in the league. That alone would put us no worse than middle of the pack and I think that Knight will have a monster year and put the team on his back and finish much higher than that.