CSNbbs
MBB - Game 19 Elon - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: MBB - Game 19 Elon (/thread-868766.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: MBB - Game 19 Elon - nj alum - 01-19-2019 06:41 PM

(01-19-2019 06:07 PM)Tribeheart Wrote:  Tony can talk about youth and injuries, as well as, our upperclassmen needing to play better, but this team is very poor with basketball fundamentals across the board, and have been all season. We are not a well coached team.

We shot 27% from 3.

RE: MBB - Game 19 Elon - Rocco - 01-19-2019 06:43 PM

Winter is here.

RE: MBB - Game 19 Elon - nj alum - 01-19-2019 06:44 PM

(01-19-2019 06:03 PM)Tribester Wrote:  Yeah that just happened. We waited a week to see this garbage? How can you lose this game at home after a whole week off to the worst team in the league? Hopefully Rowe and Huge have seen enough, and when this dumpster fire of a season is over they pull the trigger and move on from this coaching staff. Enough is enough.

Pierce scored 2 points.

The answer is to move on from the game, not the coaching staff.

But moving on from posts like this wouldn’t hurt either.

RE: MBB - Game 19 Elon - Tribe32 - 01-19-2019 06:47 PM

We couldn't stop two of their players and played almost the whole game without two of our eight man rotation. Not the best outcome, but I'm not ready to write off the season. Elon isn't a bad team regardless of their record. Blair got real important minutes and was a step slow, but showed great potential and guts.

RE: MBB - Game 19 Elon - Tribester - 01-19-2019 07:07 PM

Elon is ranked #323 in the latest Sagarin rankings. They are the very definition of a bad team. Keep making excuses though.

RE: MBB - Game 19 Elon - billymac - 01-19-2019 07:30 PM

First of all, thanks so much to the Got Tribes for hosting me in The Lair. It was great fun and certainly an interesting perspective from which to watch the game. You can definitely see how the defense and offense move from there. I had a great visit.

As for the game, simply too many unfocused, unforced errors and unfortunate decisions, on both offense and defense.

We went 3-4 in our 5 of 7 at Home schedule. Let's see how the next 5 of 7 on the Road turns out. Time for our freshmen to show growth and our juniors to show leadership.

On to Wilmington.

RE: MBB - Game 19 Elon - TribePride52 - 01-19-2019 08:01 PM

Was Sean McDermott there tonight? I swear I saw him.

RE: MBB - Game 19 Elon - ColonelEbirt - 01-19-2019 09:26 PM

This team is gonna pull some upsets, and will also maddeningly lose games like today. Bright spots were Luke overall, Blair’s shooting, Blair’s blocks, and Audige’s steals and overall defense (minus the last second of the first half). Very poor outside shooting by Audige, Milon, and Pierce hurt us. Team has got to realize that Nate needs to touch the ball in the post every possession. We’re still running our offense like we’re the 40%+ 3 point shooters we were last year. That’s not us. Another disappointing set of offensive possessions at the end of the game when we were down and needed a bucket. Just not playing with any composure or confidence.

Worried that something seems off with Justin - not just physical. He’s not playing like we’re used to seeing him play. Needs to clear his mind. He’s a shell of himself offensively right now, but I think he’ll pull it together.

RE: MBB - Game 19 Elon - wmmii - 01-19-2019 10:49 PM

This team is definitely cloning the 2016-17 team in not playing up to potential.

You cannot blame the coaches for knucklehead decision made by players on the court.

We are a young team that needs to find its mojo ago.

We have only 4 home games left this season with 7 away games so our 3-4 CAA record has a lot of work to do.

RE: MBB - Game 19 Elon - bubbadog57 - 01-20-2019 06:48 AM

The one or two wanting the coach and staff to go need to sit down, have a beer or a good scotch, and just cool down. To blame Tony for this is ludicrous...he has had unprecedented success here:
bringing in great players year after year, getting to three CAA finals and five semis, winning twenty games three consecutive seasons and raising Tribe basketball from the depths of misery.

This team, the youngest of any Shaver team, has lost five---FIVE---games that might have been
wins...all games that went down to the final seconds: UIC, George Mason, Delaware, Hofstra
and last night with Elon. Our record might just as easily been reversed and we'd been doing
high fives all over the place.

I have not given up on this team: it's a long season and perhaps the best is ahead.

***Kudos to the turnout last evening: almost 4000 people, lots of kids, and a packed student section. Obviously folks haven't abandoned this group.

RE: MBB - Game 19 Elon - Tribe32 - 01-20-2019 07:37 AM

I didn't see a bad team yesterday. I'm assuming you were there too and saw what I did. I'm not making excuses. I''m providing an observation.

(01-19-2019 07:07 PM)Tribester Wrote:  Elon is ranked #323 in the latest Sagarin rankings. They are the very definition of a bad team. Keep making excuses though.

RE: MBB - Game 19 Elon - Tribal - 01-20-2019 08:19 AM

For some people, the ship is always sinking.

RE: MBB - Game 19 Elon - ColonelEbirt - 01-20-2019 08:24 AM

One way to look at our situation right now ... of the teams we have played, Northeastern is probably the only one who would say that they wouldn’t be nervous to face us in the CAA tourney. This team is loaded with talent - everyone knows that, and if the leaders come together and perform at their potential, along with the ever improving Audige, Loewe, Owens, and Blair (if he gets meaningful pt thru rest of season remains to be seen), this team can beat anyone. That’s a group I’d rather follow vs a team with a better record but one that no one could envision cutting down the nets.

RE: MBB - Game 19 Elon - wmmii - 01-20-2019 08:25 AM

The stats for the game showed that we had only 8 TO with 16 assist and we shot 54.8% of shots inside the 3 point line with 8 steals and 6 block shots. This makes us a Good team!

Unfortunately we continue to prove that this team has lost confidence in shooting hitting 27.6% of 3's and 65% FT. This makes us a bad team.

We play young and make knucklehead decisions while having great freshmen talent and one of the best players in the league.

We have horrible execution for end of the game situations that has cost us at least several wins.

Patience is virtue and beating you head against the same concrete wall versus climbing over it is stupidity.

Here is hoping we climb over our wall and realize we took the best team in the league to triple overtime in a game we could have won!

RE: MBB - Game 19 Elon - Tribe32 - 01-20-2019 08:42 AM

IMO this one thing is what is killing us. We're up by 8 yesterday and are getting ready to bury them. Seabring is falling out of bounds shooting a three and we foul him. Instead of pulling it out or taking it to the hoop on a 3 on 2 break Milon pulls up from three and misses.

Pierce is on a milk carton. He's changing his shot week to week and the results show that he's in a shooting funk.

(01-20-2019 08:25 AM)wmmii Wrote:  We play young and make knucklehead decisions while having great freshmen talent and one of the best players in the league.

RE: MBB - Game 19 Elon - TribeNomad - 01-20-2019 09:20 AM

Killer is the one shot possessions. Too often there is a pull up three pointer, often before the other players have made it downcourt. If not good, no rebound chance.
If the team is in the other halfcourt, once that shot is launched they are breaking back on defense. If it goes in, good, but otherwise, an empty possession. With this team, we got to work it more inside.

RE: MBB - Game 19 Elon - SoCal Frank - 01-20-2019 11:20 AM

(01-20-2019 09:20 AM)TribeNomad Wrote:  Killer is the one shot possessions. Too often there is a pull up three pointer, often before the other players have made it downcourt. If not good, no rebound chance.
If the team is in the other halfcourt, once that shot is launched they are breaking back on defense. If it goes in, good, but otherwise, an empty possession. With this team, we got to work it more inside.

Dare I repeat; it’s a paint game. Audige is like a big cat takin it to the rim. Feed this guy!

RE: MBB - Game 19 Elon - Zorch - 01-20-2019 01:25 PM

(01-20-2019 06:48 AM)bubbadog57 Wrote:  This team, the youngest of any Shaver team, has lost five---FIVE---games that might have been wins...all games that went down to the final seconds: UIC, George Mason, Delaware, Hofstra and last night with Elon. Our record might just as easily been reversed and we'd been doing
high fives all over the place.

I have not given up on this team: it's a long season and perhaps the best is ahead.

Yes, we are just a few free throws or sunk three pointers from having a much better record. As someone said, Northeastern is the only conference game so far where we have not been competitive. Look at the standings: Hofstra and NE are good; Delaware is a pretender; and everyone else is all lumped together in a group. We can be the team to emerge out of that group just as much as any other.

(01-20-2019 07:37 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  I didn't see a bad team yesterday. I'm assuming you were there too and saw what I did. I'm not making excuses. I''m providing an observation.

(01-19-2019 07:07 PM)Tribester Wrote:  Elon is ranked #323 in the latest Sagarin rankings. They are the very definition of a bad team. Keep making excuses though.

Yes, I warned days before the game that Elon had been playing good teams very close and that they should not be taken lightly. They had one guy who set a career high scoring 20+ points. I'm not shocked that they won.

(01-20-2019 08:25 AM)wmmii Wrote:  We play young and make knucklehead decisions ...

We have horrible execution for end of the game situations that has cost us at least several wins.

I disagree with the poster who said that the freshmen knucklehead decisions could not be blamed on the coaching staff. That is exactly the kind of thing that the coaches should be teaching: how to play smart.

I also am amazed how the late-half, late-game situations are not better executed --- although it helps to have more than one go-to guy. At the game yesterday, everyone in the house and on TV knew that the tying three-point shot would be taken by Milon. Consequently, Elon was smart enough to cover him and prevent a good shot (he shot an air ball). If we had had two shooters then perhaps we could have gotten off a better shot.

Has anyone else noticed that both of the last two games started off exactly the same way, with Audige shooting a corner triple and also getting a two, for the first five points of the game? Unfortunately, at least yesterday, that was the only triple he got all game.

RE: MBB - Game 19 Elon - FauqDawg10 - 01-20-2019 04:37 PM

No excuses on this one. We are not good enough to have any gimmes, but Elon really is one of the basement-dwellers of D1 and a team that really sees itself as a title contender has no business losing to them at home. It's really going to hurt in the race for the 4/5 spot to avoid Hofstra/NE/Charleston in Round 1. Obviously it's not unrecoverable with a lot of games left, and .500 may be enough to be in a decent spot for March, but right now we're not on a trajectory to do better than that.

Luke has definitely made some measured improvements, but I think it's nonetheless safe to say he hasn't played to the level we would've hoped. He's become an adequate passer, defender and mover but the lack of playmaking and shooting ability we're getting when either he or Scott are on the floor is killing us and making it very easy for teams to load up on Nate.

I thought the Owens/Milon/Audige/Pierce/Knight lineup we saw more of in the Hofstra overtime was a good step and I'm not sure why we haven't seen more of it, because those sure look like our five best players.

RE: MBB - Game 19 Elon - SoCal Frank - 01-20-2019 07:19 PM

(01-20-2019 08:42 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  IMO this one thing is what is killing us. We're up by 8 yesterday and are getting ready to bury them. Seabring is falling out of bounds shooting a three and we foul him. Instead of pulling it out or taking it to the hoop on a 3 on 2 break Milon pulls up from three and misses.

Pierce is on a milk carton. He's changing his shot week to week and the results show that he's in a shooting funk.

(01-20-2019 08:25 AM)wmmii Wrote:  We play young and make knucklehead decisions while having great freshmen talent and one of the best players in the league.

T32. Am loving your commentary. Let me introduce the concept of selfishness. I didn’t see it; but, if it looks like a duck etc.