CSNbbs
2018-2019 Women's Tennis - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: 2018-2019 Women's Tennis (/thread-868504.html)

2018-2019 Women's Tennis - Zorch - 01-15-2019 10:21 PM

Tribe Women's Tennis beat Richmond 6-1. That is the 45th straight victory over the Spiders, for an overall record against them of 46-1. Now THAT is a streak that we can all appreciate!

RE: 2018-2019 Women's Tennis - bubbadog57 - 01-16-2019 07:12 AM

We have a veteran team this year, all returning from last year's CAA champs. Solid chance to repeat this season.

RE: 2018-2019 Women's Tennis - nogretheogre - 01-16-2019 08:09 AM

An impressive streak, no doubt, but would be even better for the reverse...ie, a team that we are 1-46 against or beating 19x NCAA champions Stanford.

RE: 2018-2019 Women's Tennis - Zorch - 02-03-2019 11:03 PM

Thought I would see this posted by NJ Alum ....

Tribe lost a tough, very close match to Purdue today, 4-3. Our # 2 (Natalia Perry) did not play; I assume that she was injured.

RE: 2018-2019 Women's Tennis - Zorch - 03-03-2019 04:02 PM

Tribe lost a tough match to Memphis today, 4-3. Our top player and the reigning CAA player of the year, Rosie Cheng, has not played in two straight matches. I assume that she is injured -- if so, does anyone know how serious it is? We will need her back before the CAA championship.

RE: 2018-2019 Women's Tennis - Zorch - 03-07-2019 02:59 AM

(03-03-2019 04:02 PM)Zorch Wrote:  Tribe lost a tough match to Memphis today, 4-3. Our top player and the reigning CAA player of the year, Rosie Cheng, has not played in two straight matches. I assume that she is injured -- if so, does anyone know how serious it is? We will need her back before the CAA championship.

Another close loss and another match with no Rosie Cheng. Anyone know what is keeping her out? (PM me if you want to keep it hush hush so that Tribe opponents (who have nothing better to do than scroll this board for intel) don't learn anything).

RE: 2018-2019 Women's Tennis - Zorch - 03-16-2019 06:14 PM

Rosie Cheng is back from injury! Tribe crushes Delaware 7-0.

RE: 2018-2019 Women's Tennis - Zorch - 04-20-2019 01:35 PM

Condolences to the Women's Tennis Team. Lost in the CAAT finals to JMU, 4-2. Breaks the string of 4 straight championships. Even worse, broke a string of something like 34 straight wins of the Tribe over JMU (going in, I think the all-time record was 46-1). Now those Dukes have it in their heads that they can beat us (and worse, now it is in our heads; the team needs to right this ship in a hurry next year).

I had a bad feeling going in to the final because the Tribe seemed to have trouble with Elon in the semifinal. Not sure what the problem was this year since the team was almost identical to last year (Olivia Thaler and E. Stepanova, good players, graduated last year but this year the Tribe has Mila Saric, a very good freshman, along with returning POY Rosie Cheng and Natalia Perry). The team does have a new coach this year (after Huge drove off Thomson, and his top assistant too), so maybe coaching makes a big difference in tennis.

Wait till next year!!

RE: 2018-2019 Women's Tennis - tribeintexas - 04-20-2019 02:06 PM

(04-20-2019 01:35 PM)Zorch Wrote:  Condolences to the Women's Tennis Team. Lost in the CAAT finals to JMU, 4-2. Breaks the string of 4 straight championships. Even worse, broke a string of something like 34 straight wins of the Tribe over JMU (going in, I think the all-time record was 46-1). Now those Dukes have it in their heads that they can beat us (and worse, now it is in our heads; the team needs to right this ship in a hurry next year).

I had a bad feeling going in to the final because the Tribe seemed to have trouble with Elon in the semifinal. Not sure what the problem was this year since the team was almost identical to last year (Olivia Thaler and E. Stepanova, good players, graduated last year but this year the Tribe has Mila Saric, a very good freshman, along with returning POY Rosie Cheng and Natalia Perry). The team does have a new coach this year (after Huge drove off Thomson, and his top assistant too), so maybe coaching makes a big difference in tennis.

Wait till next year!!

I don't think Huge drove off Thompson. He went to UNC to become their associate HC which paid more than being our HC.

RE: 2018-2019 Women's Tennis - Zorch - 04-20-2019 02:58 PM

(04-20-2019 02:06 PM)tribeintexas Wrote:  
(04-20-2019 01:35 PM)Zorch Wrote:  Condolences to the Women's Tennis Team. Lost in the CAAT finals to JMU, 4-2. Breaks the string of 4 straight championships. Even worse, broke a string of something like 34 straight wins of the Tribe over JMU (going in, I think the all-time record was 46-1). Now those Dukes have it in their heads that they can beat us (and worse, now it is in our heads; the team needs to right this ship in a hurry next year).

Wait till next year!!

I don't think Huge drove off Thompson. He went to UNC to become their associate HC which paid more than being our HC.

Thomson could have joined Kalbas (and for the more money) any time within the last decade. I don't think that it was a coincidence that he and his assistant both left after only one year of dealing with Huge. Remember, also, that he left very abruptly -- after the fall season had already started. That doesn't sound like the timetable of a guy who had carefully planned out his exit and left on good terms, with his successor already being planned.

RE: 2018-2019 Women's Tennis - bubbadog57 - 04-21-2019 06:08 AM

I know the team had many injury problems this year with several players missing matches and, even more telling, playing with injuries that limited their effectiveness the latter third of the season.

RE: 2018-2019 Women's Tennis - Zorch - 05-02-2019 04:53 PM

Congratulations to five members of the Tribe Women's Tennis team for bringing home some end-of-year hardware:

Rosie Cheng - First Team Singles
Natalia Perry - First Team Singles
Vitoria Okuyama/Clara Tanielian - First Team Doubles
Mila Saric - CAA Rookie of the Year and Second Team Singles

Strangely, Daria Afanasyeva of JMU (also a freshman) was First Team Singles and First Team Doubles but was not voted Rookie of the Year. That is almost as strange as what happened in the voting in Women's Lacrosse (see separate thread for that).