CSNbbs
I bet this is the first and last year for end of year CUSA Basketball Pods. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: I bet this is the first and last year for end of year CUSA Basketball Pods. (/thread-868425.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

I bet this is the first and last year for end of year CUSA Basketball Pods. - HERD1 - 01-14-2019 06:14 PM

I think this could be a disaster and have the opposite of the desired effect for our basketball teams.

It all comes down to primarily; odds and probability, and secondly; a national perception that isn’t going to change by us playing OURSELVES…

IMO, what this will ensure is that we’ll never be a two bid league (as it makes our top teams knock each other out at the end of year) instead of being able to win out on a few lesser teams. Nationally these in pod losses will hurt much more than any added wins against “decent” competition. It will also decrease, not increase, our top teams’ chances of getting a higher seed…because now our top team not only has to win out through the tourney but also win out the murderers row in pods (for the top 5) beforehand. I get the idea, but we are actually penalizing our good teams at the end of the year by making them play the “best” of the league AGAIN…and again this has a better chance of knocking any bubble teams out rather than helping a bubble team get in.

It comes down to this…what is more likely…our top team winning 4 in its pod and then 3 in the tourney? So 7 straight? Or is it more likely that our top team will lose 1 of those 7 and possibly then be staying home for the NCAAs.

Is it more likely for our top teams to go 4-0 in the pod…or 3-1? Odds are 3-1…this does nothing but hurt our top team(s). We are also stressing our teams out before the conference tourney. It’s hard enough getting through the conf. tourney…now our top teams will play murderers row…beforehand. How insanely stupid!

I think this was very short sighted by our conference. The only possible way this can now work out for the good…is if the regular season champ, wins out in its pod, and then runs through the CUSA tourney. What are the odds of that happening? Which if that happens, them running through the Conf tourney alone...would have prob been enough to get the recognition that team deserves.

In every other scenario that I can think of…no one gains an advantage by this. Nationally no one is going to care if our third place team goes 3-1 in the top pod. It’s a catch 22, if our teams aren’t good enough to keep from being left out of the tourney as it is, playing OURSELVES isn’t going to help our reputation or move the needle for a “bubble” team. Unless a bubble team knocks off our regular season champ…which will likely knock OUT our regular season champ from the tourney. You see what I’m saying? Unless we have two teams ranked in season, or our ranked team get's knocked off in our tourney...we will always be a 1 bid league. This pod thing has a better chance of hurting all teams involved than helping.

I bet this is the first and last year for end of year CUSA Basketball Pods. - owl at the moon - 01-14-2019 07:25 PM

There are some scenarios where it could hurt... but anything that boosts the SOS of teams in the running for any at-large bids is bound to help.

At the end of the day the committee will generally do whatever they need to in order to favor the big $ conference teams.

RE: I bet this is the first and last year for end of year CUSA Basketball Pods. - Dorrej - 01-14-2019 08:49 PM

(01-14-2019 06:14 PM)HERD1 Wrote:  I think this could be a disaster and have the opposite of the desired effect for our basketball teams.

It all comes down to primarily; odds and probability, and secondly; a national perception that isn’t going to change by us playing OURSELVES…

IMO, what this will ensure is that we’ll never be a two bid league (as it makes our top teams knock each other out at the end of year) instead of being able to win out on a few lesser teams. Nationally these in pod losses will hurt much more than any added wins against “decent” competition. It will also decrease, not increase, our top teams’ chances of getting a higher seed…because now our top team not only has to win out through the tourney but also win out the murderers row in pods (for the top 5) beforehand. I get the idea, but we are actually penalizing our good teams at the end of the year by making them play the “best” of the league AGAIN…and again this has a better chance of knocking any bubble teams out rather than helping a bubble team get in.

It comes down to this…what is more likely…our top team winning 4 in its pod and then 3 in the tourney? So 7 straight? Or is it more likely that our top team will lose 1 of those 7 and possibly then be staying home for the NCAAs.

Is it more likely for our top teams to go 4-0 in the pod…or 3-1? Odds are 3-1…this does nothing but hurt our top team(s). We are also stressing our teams out before the conference tourney. It’s hard enough getting through the conf. tourney…now our top teams will play murderers row…beforehand. How insanely stupid!

I think this was very short sighted by our conference. The only possible way this can now work out for the good…is if the regular season champ, wins out in its pod, and then runs through the CUSA tourney. What are the odds of that happening? Which if that happens, them running through the Conf tourney alone...would have prob been enough to get the recognition that team deserves.

In every other scenario that I can think of…no one gains an advantage by this. Nationally no one is going to care if our third place team goes 3-1 in the top pod. It’s a catch 22, if our teams aren’t good enough to keep from being left out of the tourney as it is, playing OURSELVES isn’t going to help our reputation or move the needle for a “bubble” team. Unless a bubble team knocks off our regular season champ…which will likely knock OUT our regular season champ from the tourney. You see what I’m saying? Unless we have two teams ranked in season, or our ranked team get's knocked off in our tourney...we will always be a 1 bid league. This pod thing has a better chance of hurting all teams involved than helping.
It might help the top teams or it might hurt them. Only time will tell.. At least this setup makes the regular season more interesting and gives the good teams a few more home games against each other. I know I wouldn’t be upset about 2 games against CUSA contenders in Huntington at the end of the season.

RE: I bet this is the first and last year for end of year CUSA Basketball Pods. - herdfan129 - 01-14-2019 09:14 PM

Best thing our conference has done in a long time. Why? Because we tried something new and innovative. I'm on board 100% to test it out for a few years.

RE: I bet this is the first and last year for end of year CUSA Basketball Pods. - FAU Connoisseur - 01-14-2019 09:24 PM

Will the podless system get a 2nd bid? NO. So nothing to lose only maybe a chance of gain.

RE: I bet this is the first and last year for end of year CUSA Basketball Pods. - _sturt_ - 01-14-2019 09:26 PM

If the alternative is to play lesser SOS teams, which routinely I believe historically that is accurate, then the new format is inherently and naturally beneficial.

RE: I bet this is the first and last year for end of year CUSA Basketball Pods. - Cyniclone - 01-14-2019 10:01 PM

(01-14-2019 09:14 PM)herdfan129 Wrote:  Best thing our conference has done in a long time. Why? Because we tried something new and innovative. I'm on board 100% to test it out for a few years.

Agreed. CUSA got a lot of positive publicity out of it, and while I'm sure there'll be issues as a first adapter, I think it's worth it to tweak in the coming years as needed. Worst case scenario, they change the format. It's not as though they're ruining time-tested traditions here.

RE: I bet this is the first and last year for end of year CUSA Basketball Pods. - Fort Bend Owl - 01-14-2019 10:04 PM

CUSA isn't bad this year - a few really good wins and some bad losses. Just ask Syracuse how good ODU is - the Orangemen upset #1 Duke in Durham earlier tonight.

RE: I bet this is the first and last year for end of year CUSA Basketball Pods. - WKUYG - 01-14-2019 10:07 PM

Syracuse beat #1 Duke tonight and ODU beat Syracuse

RE: I bet this is the first and last year for end of year CUSA Basketball Pods. - Cyniclone - 01-14-2019 10:14 PM

(01-14-2019 10:07 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  Syracuse beat #1 Duke tonight and ODU beat Syracuse

ODU beat Syracuse, which beat No. 1 Duke on the road tonight.

ODU lost to St. Joseph's, which would probably lose to a string of 12 names pulled from the Philadelphia White Pages tonight.

College basketball, everyone!

I bet this is the first and last year for end of year CUSA Basketball Pods. - owl at the moon - 01-14-2019 10:15 PM

<edited for clarity>

RE: I bet this is the first and last year for end of year CUSA Basketball Pods. - KNIGHTTIME - 01-14-2019 10:32 PM

(01-14-2019 10:14 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(01-14-2019 10:07 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  Syracuse beat #1 Duke tonight and ODU beat Syracuse

ODU beat Syracuse, which beat No. 1 Duke on the road tonight.

ODU lost to St. Joseph's, which would probably lose to a string of 12 names pulled from the Philadelphia White Pages tonight.

College basketball, everyone!

FAU beat UCF

UCF beat UConn

UConn beat Syracuse

Syracuse beat Duke

....FAU is #1 in college basketball. 03-drunk

RE: I bet this is the first and last year for end of year CUSA Basketball Pods. - Doots4Dawgs - 01-14-2019 10:33 PM

(01-14-2019 10:15 PM)owl at the moon Wrote:  And LATech almost beat ODU, and Rice beat LATech, and UTEP almost beat Rice...

We havent played ODU yet.

I bet this is the first and last year for end of year CUSA Basketball Pods. - owl at the moon - 01-14-2019 10:40 PM

(01-14-2019 10:33 PM)Doots4Dawgs Wrote:  
(01-14-2019 10:15 PM)owl at the moon Wrote:  And LATech almost beat ODU, and Rice beat LATech, and UTEP almost beat Rice...

Sorry, i think I watched too many different games Saturday and flipped between them too fast. Deleting my original post which was silly enough before you pointed out the error.

Now make sure you guys beat ODU, ok?

RE: I bet this is the first and last year for end of year CUSA Basketball Pods. - Blue_Trombone - 01-14-2019 10:46 PM

So, maybe this does help us get a 2nd bid, maybe it doesn't. Either way I still love the move to Pods. Why? Because now suddenly the conference games mean MUCH more. Losing to FAU hurts. That loss meaning we might be relegated to a 2nd Pod really ratchets up the drama for the future games. It makes the whole conference season important. And if your team kicks butt and takes care of business, it guarantees two meaningful home games against good opponents to end the season. I can't tell you how often ODU has had our last home game be a snore fest. I like this move a lot.

RE: I bet this is the first and last year for end of year CUSA Basketball Pods. - Doots4Dawgs - 01-14-2019 11:28 PM

(01-14-2019 10:40 PM)owl at the moon Wrote:  
(01-14-2019 10:33 PM)Doots4Dawgs Wrote:  

Sorry, i think I watched too many different games Saturday and flipped between them too fast. Deleting my original post which was silly enough before you pointed out the error.

Now make sure you guys beat ODU, ok?

Believe me. I’d love to.

RE: I bet this is the first and last year for end of year CUSA Basketball Pods. - HERD1 - 01-15-2019 12:44 AM

Does anyone know how the home/away will breakdown of the top 5 over the last 4 games.

It will be a total flustercluck anyway it's cut:

1. Does the 5th seed have to play all road games to end out the year? That's not fair, because they finished a respectable 5th. They shouldn't be penalized with 4 straight road games for finishing in the top half of the league.

2. But compared to the other teams in the pod, the fairest thing WOULD be to have the 5th seed go on the road for all 4. Why should the 5th seed be rewarded with a home game against the 1st seed? That's not fair. But get this, if the coach of the 1st seed had to pick a team to go on the road against...it would be the 5th!!!

3. Because it's totally not fair for the 1st seed to have to play the 2nd seed on the road. The 1st seed would definitely not want that. If Marshall finished #1 and wku 2nd, why should Marshall have to go to their place during pod play?

The pod home and away will be the most clusterfluckery thing we've ever seen. No one will be happy.

Everyone will be tired as $hit and feel like they just played the tourney after pod play before the tourney is even played. Then the top team's reward for kicking @$$ in pod play will be to START ALL OVER...and play a new CUSA tourney against the 12th seed or something. WTH? They just proved to be CHAMPS and beat every top team in the league and now have to start all over. What type of glitchy video game is this??

RE: I bet this is the first and last year for end of year CUSA Basketball Pods. - Noodles - 01-15-2019 12:58 AM

Maybe try decaf.

RE: I bet this is the first and last year for end of year CUSA Basketball Pods. - FriscoDawg - 01-15-2019 01:23 AM

(01-15-2019 12:44 AM)HERD1 Wrote:  Does anyone know how the home/away will breakdown of the top 5 over the last 4 games.

1. Does the 5th seed have to play all road games to end out the year? That's not fair, because they finished a respectable 5th. They shouldn't be penalized with 4 straight road games for finishing in the top half of the league.

2. But compared to the other teams in the pod, the fairest thing WOULD be to have the 5th seed go on the road for all 4. Why should the 5th seed be rewarded with a home game against the 1st seed? That's not fair. But get this, if the coach of the 1st seed had to pick a team to go on the road against...it would be the 5th!!!

3. Because it's totally not fair for the 1st seed to have to play the 2nd seed on the road. The 1st seed would definitely not want that. If Marshall finished #1 and wku 2nd, why should Marshall have to go to their place during pod play?

The pod home and away will be the most clusterfluckery thing we've ever seen. No one will be happy.

Everyone will be tired as $hit and feel like they just played the tourney after pod play before the tourney is even played. Then the top team's reward for kicking @$$ in pod play will be to START ALL OVER...and play a new CUSA tourney against the 12th seed or something. WTH? They just proved to be CHAMPS and beat every top team in the league and now have to start all over. What type of glitchy video game is this??
Couldn't disagree more.

Each team gets two home games and two road games to play over five possible playing dates in pod play--Saturday, Feb. 23, Thursday, Feb. 28, Sunday, March 3, Wednesday, March 6, and Saturday, March 9.

The last games before pod play are on Saturday, Feb. 16, so that's only 4 games for each team over three full weeks after the last of the originally scheduled 14 games. In a normal conference schedule each team would be playing 5 or 6 games in that same time. Fatigue should be no excuse.

This system may not generate any extra postseason bid. But the other system wouldn't have either if this one doesn't.

Have to give the conference office credit for trying to be innovative. Not often that we can give the conference office credit for much of anything with Judy in the (tiny) driver's seat.

RE: I bet this is the first and last year for end of year CUSA Basketball Pods. - MUther - 01-15-2019 03:45 AM

(01-15-2019 01:23 AM)FriscoDawg Wrote:  
(01-15-2019 12:44 AM)HERD1 Wrote:  Does anyone know how the home/away will breakdown of the top 5 over the last 4 games.

Couldn't disagree more.

Each team gets two home games and two road games to play over five possible playing dates in pod play--Saturday, Feb. 23, Thursday, Feb. 28, Sunday, March 3, Wednesday, March 6, and Saturday, March 9.

The last games before pod play are on Saturday, Feb. 16, so that's only 4 games for each team over three full weeks after the last of the originally scheduled 14 games. In a normal conference schedule each team would be playing 5 or 6 games in that same time. Fatigue should be no excuse.

This system may not generate any extra postseason bid. But the other system wouldn't have either if this one doesn't.

Have to give the conference office credit for trying to be innovative. Not often that we can give the conference office credit for much of anything with Judy in the (tiny) driver's seat.

Yeah, the pod games are played instead of normal conference games, not after them. So the game schedule would have been just as full. And the home and away stuff has already been figured out giving benefit to the higher seed, but equal home and away time. I don't know what his issue is unless it's just not understanding.

If you want to be the best you have to play the best teams you can and win as much as you can. Nothing changes here. We don't get the luxury of sandbagging the season and getting hot in the NCAA tourney with 9 bids going to our conference like the ACC does. We have to earn it every step of the way in CUSA.