CSNbbs
Jayden Gardner - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Jayden Gardner (/thread-868377.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Jayden Gardner - StillJonesing - 01-14-2019 09:02 AM

So who is actually having a better year than him? Conversation yesterday was from some on here he was the best freshman, I think he might be the best player in the AAC overall already. He has a strong case.

Player Efficiency Ratings

1. Jayden Gardner East Carolina 29.2
2. Kyvon Davenport Memphis 25.7
3. Tacko Fall UCF 24.3
4. Jimmy Whitt SMU 23.8
5. Jarron Cumberland Cincinnati 23.8
6. Alexis Yetna South Florida 23.7
7. Ethan Chargois SMU 23.7
8. DaQuan Jeffries Tulsa 23.3
9. Nysier Brooks Cincinnati 23.0
10. Jahmal McMurray SMU 22.1
11. Seth LeDay East Carolina 21.5
12. Jalen Adams UConn 21.1
13. Markis McDuffie Wichita State 21.0
14. Keith Williams Cincinnati 20.8
15. Shizz Alston Jr. Temple 20.4
16. Laquincy Rideau South Florida 20.2
17. Nate Pierre-Louis Temple 20.0
18. Aubrey Dawkins UCF 19.9
19. B.J. Taylor UCF 19.8
20. Corey Davis Jr. Houston 19.6

Yeah we had a had a terrible OOC but conference only is 28.5 nearly the same. He's also 19th in Defensive Rating so he's pretty good on that end as well before you dismiss PER as not accounting for defense, and near the top in most big counting stats (1st points, 2nd rebounds) despite 19th in minutes played per game. 3rd true shooting, 1st win shares despite playing on a crap team etc etc.

Our team is 346th in 3 point percentage and gives him no space to work in the post and teams that collapse on him yet he continues to produce despite it and with our 2nd best player LeDay who is also highly productive also competing with him him for rebounds, post touches and working the same space or lack there of. Kind of crazy he or LeDay are even able to be this effective.

Jayden Gardner - justinhub2003 - 01-14-2019 09:05 AM

(01-14-2019 09:02 AM)StillJonesing Wrote:  So who is actually having a better year than him? Conversation yesterday was from some he was the best freshman, I think he might be the best player in the AAC overall already. He has a strong case.

Player Efficiency Ratings
1. Jayden Gardner East Carolina 29.2
2. Kyvon Davenport Memphis 25.7
3. Tacko Fall UCF 24.3
4. Jimmy Whitt SMU 23.8
5. Jarron Cumberland Cincinnati 23.8
6. Alexis Yetna South Florida 23.7
7. Ethan Chargois SMU 23.7
8. DaQuan Jeffries Tulsa 23.3
9. Nysier Brooks Cincinnati 23.0
10. Jahmal McMurray SMU 22.1
11. Seth LeDay East Carolina 21.5
12. Jalen Adams UConn 21.1
13. Markis McDuffie Wichita State 21.0
14. Keith Williams Cincinnati 20.8
15. Shizz Alston Jr. Temple 20.4
16. Laquincy Rideau South Florida 20.2
17. Nate Pierre-Louis Temple 20.0
18. Aubrey Dawkins UCF 19.9
19. B.J. Taylor UCF 19.8
20. Corey Davis Jr. Houston 19.6

Yeah we had a had a terrible OOC but conference only is 28.5 nearly the same. He's also 19th in Defensive Rating so he's pretty good on that end as well before you dismiss PER as not accounting for defense, and near the top in most big counting stats (1st points, 2nd rebounds) despite 19th in minutes played per game. 3rd true shooting, 1st win shares despite playing on a crap team etc etc.

Our team is 346th in 3 point percentage and gives him no space to work in the post and teams that collapse on him yet he continues to produce despite it and with our 2nd best player LeDay who is also highly productive also competing for him on rebounds, post touches and working the same space or lack there of. Kind of crazy he is even able to be this effective.

I’d much rather use kenpom’s player of the year rankings because it factors in strength of opponents and other factors.

[Image: 94f852979578ed1c1394562f541a3128.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayden Gardner - justinhub2003 - 01-14-2019 09:08 AM

This is why PER is so misleading

Does anyone in their right mind think Seth leDay is better then jalen Adams?

Jayden Gardner - justinhub2003 - 01-14-2019 09:09 AM

PER is great in the nba because there are just 30 teams, all have talent and you can’t pad your stats against cupcakes

RE: Jayden Gardner - StillJonesing - 01-14-2019 09:12 AM

I acknowledged it's fair to question our schedule, but he's been just as effective playing in the AAC thus far vs some good defensive teams. When you drop a workman like 35 and 20 on Taco who actually played more minues than usual....30 minutes and has led the NCAA in defensive rating before with a 11 inches longer wing span than Shawn Bradley (longest dude ever to play basketball) I think the questions about will be able to get his post touches off and rebound in the AAC are mostly gone now. I don't think this is the last monster game you will see if he can do it vs a team that has the biggest dude in history and a 6-11 guy starting beside him.

RE: Jayden Gardner - TIGERCITY - 01-14-2019 09:16 AM

(01-14-2019 09:08 AM)justinhub2003 Wrote:  This is why PER is so misleading

Does anyone in their right mind think Seth leDay is better then jalen Adams?

And why Keven Davenport's numbers are much more impressive. Unlike East Carolina Memphis has actually played a pretty impressive out of conference schedule.

RE: Jayden Gardner - StillJonesing - 01-14-2019 09:17 AM

(01-14-2019 09:09 AM)justinhub2003 Wrote:  PER is great in the nba because there are just 30 teams, all have talent and you can’t pad your stats against cupcakes

We aren't talking about Seth LeDay other than the fact Gardner has to compete with him for rebounds, post touches, space and such. You also have to flip that and acknowledge that LeDay has to compete with Gardner as well and is likely undercut by him some and our crap team that can't shoot or get him the ball. He's actually pretty good as well man (was at Virginia Tech) but for whatever reason Dooley has him on the bench behind scrubs but no one has said this is the end all or our OOC doesn't play some role. His brother was one of the best in the ACC btw so he has some pedigree. Point is Gardner has a lot going against him in getting stats and still produces. LeDay as well as the ying to the yang.

Jayden Gardner - justinhub2003 - 01-14-2019 09:17 AM

(01-14-2019 09:12 AM)StillJonesing Wrote:  I acknowledged it's fair to question our schedule, but he's been just as effective playing in the AAC thus far vs some good defensive teams. When you drop a workman like 35 and 20 on Taco who actually played more minues than usual....30 minutes and has led the NCAA in defensive rating before with a 11 inches longer wing span than Shawn Bradley (longest dude ever to play basketball) I think the questions about will be able to get his post touches off and rebound in the AAC are mostly gone now. I don't think this is the last monster game you will see if he can do it vs a team that has the biggest dude in history and a 6-11 guy starting beside him.

That’s not true.

Efficiency wise, he had a poor game, an average game and 2 good games.

He is NOT the reason uc lost to ECU.

Ecu shooting out of their minds killed UC. We shut him down in the first half.

But then we had to start covering shooters and he got more room to work.

Shawn Williams best UC

RE: Jayden Gardner - TheOrigamiJimmyChin - 01-14-2019 09:30 AM

Somewhat off topic, since I have no horse in the Gardner argument: interesting to see that every team except Tulane has "better players" than Houston. At least according to these rankings.

Apparently we've got Corey Davis and chopped liver. On the bright side, if we could get the players we have to play efficiently, we could be pretty good.

I don't know the Player Efficiency stat. What goes into that, and why is UH so low on the list? Something about our style of play?

Or is UH really talent-deficient?

RE: Jayden Gardner - StillJonesing - 01-14-2019 09:32 AM

(01-14-2019 09:17 AM)justinhub2003 Wrote:  
(01-14-2019 09:12 AM)StillJonesing Wrote:  I acknowledged it's fair to question our schedule, but he's been just as effective playing in the AAC thus far vs some good defensive teams. When you drop a workman like 35 and 20 on Taco who actually played more minues than usual....30 minutes and has led the NCAA in defensive rating before with a 11 inches longer wing span than Shawn Bradley (longest dude ever to play basketball) I think the questions about will be able to get his post touches off and rebound in the AAC are mostly gone now. I don't think this is the last monster game you will see if he can do it vs a team that has the biggest dude in history and a 6-11 guy starting beside him.

That’s not true.

Efficiency wise, he had a poor game, an average game and 2 good games.

He is NOT the reason uc lost to ECU.

Ecu shooting out of their minds killed UC. We shut him down in the first half.

But then we had to start covering shooters and he got more room to work.

Shawn Williams best UC

He's averaging 21 and 12 with a 28.5 PER on conference play nearly a quarter of the way in.

RE: Jayden Gardner - Knights_of_UCF - 01-14-2019 09:33 AM

PER leaves a lot to be desired in terms of who is playing the best...but Gardner is a beast. Freshman of the year for sure. Best player? lol calm down ecu fans. Hes only doing so well because the rest of ECU team was complete trash. It is easier to put up big time stats when the rest of your team combines for 30pts lol

RE: Jayden Gardner - HuskyU - 01-14-2019 09:37 AM

The c̶o̶n̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶c̶e̶ world belongs to ECU.

RE: Jayden Gardner - Tiger1983 - 01-14-2019 09:37 AM

He is terrific. He is the AAC freshman of the year without a doubt.

RE: Jayden Gardner - StillJonesing - 01-14-2019 09:38 AM

(01-14-2019 09:30 AM)TheOrigamiJimmyChin Wrote:  Somewhat off topic, since I have no horse in the Gardner argument: interesting to see that every team except Tulane has "better players" than Houston. At least according to these rankings.

Apparently we've got Corey Davis and chopped liver. On the bright side, if we could get the players we have to play efficiently, we could be pretty good.

I don't know the Player Efficiency stat. What goes into that, and why is UH so low on the list? Something about our style of play?

These aren't rankings, it's just a tool to look at per minute production. You will inevitably have guys that aren't playing much for whatever reason (stupid coaches) or crap OOC you have to adjust for as I acknowledged. Still when a guy is averaging what Garnder does and is just as effective in conference it's worth paying attention IMO.

Also Zion Williamson is shattering college PER records 43 PER and all kinds of records, it does capture a lot of value and impact. It was just a means to get the conversation started without having to post every single stat of his. Most people understand it and it's strengths and weaknesses without having to explain it at this point. Again dude is averaging almost 21 and 12 in 32 minutes in conference play with a 29 PER as well. That is something and consistent with everything else he has done.

RE: Jayden Gardner - The Knight Time - 01-14-2019 09:39 AM

He is great but his stats are what they are simply because ECU has virtually no one else around him. Of 58 shots yesterday he took 21 of them for ECU. The next closest player took 10.

He had 35 points. After that, a kid had 12, and then ECU's entire roster was down in the 3-4 point range per player.

Compare that to UCF where 5/5 starters were in double figures and Brown was nearly in double figures off the bench. No one player is putting up monster numbers because the ball is getting distributed and multiple players are scoring.

RE: Jayden Gardner - StillJonesing - 01-14-2019 09:44 AM

(01-14-2019 09:39 AM)The Knight Time Wrote:  He is great but his stats are what they are simply because ECU has virtually no one else around him. Of 58 shots yesterday he took 21 of them for ECU. The next closest player took 10.

He had 35 points. After that, a kid had 12, and then ECU's entire roster was down in the 3-4 point range per player.

Compare that to UCF where 5/5 starters were in double figures and Brown was nearly in double figures off the bench. No one player is putting up monster numbers because the ball is getting distributed and multiple players are scoring.

You have 35 points on 21 floor shots that's great and by definition that's going to mean the other players aren't going to be shooting much in a monster game like that unless you are just the highest pace team around.

I think think it makes it more impressive he has no one on the peremiter or players to take the pressure off him really all year, no shooting and our second best player is competing for exactly what he does as well. It's a feather in his cap that he still does it with not space or no small to help him or take the pressure off of him, literally the worst 3 point shooting team in the nation and no space. You don't want those bums shooting.

Jayden Gardner - justinhub2003 - 01-14-2019 09:45 AM

(01-14-2019 09:30 AM)TheOrigamiJimmyChin Wrote:  Somewhat off topic, since I have no horse in the Gardner argument: interesting to see that every team except Tulane has "better players" than Houston. At least according to these rankings.

Houston’s 1st half offensive struggles kill their efficiency.

They have good players And the deepest team in the league but they have this weird issue with the first half

RE: Jayden Gardner - Knights_of_UCF - 01-14-2019 09:47 AM

(01-14-2019 09:44 AM)StillJonesing Wrote:  
(01-14-2019 09:39 AM)The Knight Time Wrote:  He is great but his stats are what they are simply because ECU has virtually no one else around him. Of 58 shots yesterday he took 21 of them for ECU. The next closest player took 10.

You have 35 points on 21 floor shots that's great and by definition that's going to mean the other players aren't going to be shooting much in a monster game like that.

I think think it makes it more impressive he has no one on the peremiter players to take the pressure off him really all year, no shooting and our second best player is competing for exactly what he does as well. It's a feather in his cap that he still does it with not space or no small to help him or take the pressure off of him.
it is more impressive because he has it all on his shoulders but its somewhat less impressive because literally no one else on ECU is any good at all aside from shawn williams. There are a lot of players in this league that could fill up the stat sheet on a trash team.

He is a beast and obviously one of the best players in the league but you're premise in the OP was he is the best player in the league so lets get carried away.

Jayden Gardner - justinhub2003 - 01-14-2019 09:47 AM

(01-14-2019 09:37 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  He is terrific. He is the AAC freshman of the year without a doubt.

This.

I’ll give him this hands down. Prob even give him a spot on the 1st team all league.

But I’m also not giving player of the year to a guy who padded a lot of his stats against the worst teams in college

RE: Jayden Gardner - StillJonesing - 01-14-2019 09:49 AM

(01-14-2019 09:47 AM)Knights_of_UCF Wrote:  
(01-14-2019 09:44 AM)StillJonesing Wrote:  

You have 35 points on 21 floor shots that's great and by definition that's going to mean the other players aren't going to be shooting much in a monster game like that.

I think think it makes it more impressive he has no one on the peremiter players to take the pressure off him really all year, no shooting and our second best player is competing for exactly what he does as well. It's a feather in his cap that he still does it with not space or no small to help him or take the pressure off of him.
it is more impressive because he has it all on his shoulders but its somewhat less impressive because literally no one else on ECU is any good at all aside from shawn williams. There are a lot of players in this league that could fill up the stat sheet on a trash team.

He is a beast and obviously one of the best players in the league but you're premise in the OP was he is the best player in the league so lets get carried away.

Williams is over rated. He does nothing and can't even shoot that well Theres your hot take. Look at his stats this year.