CSNbbs
2018-19 NFL Playoffs - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+------ Forum: Off Topic (/forum-978.html)
+------ Thread: 2018-19 NFL Playoffs (/thread-867844.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

2018-19 NFL Playoffs - Seahawkhoops - 01-06-2019 01:14 PM

Who ya got?

It's to me as wide open as it's ever been i honestly think 4 teams could win either conference. If i had to pick, i'd say Chiefs Vs Rams! That would be a great rematch form the reg season. I just don't think my pats have it this year, especially, if they have to play on the road.

RE: 2018-19 NFL Playoffs - B_Hawk06 - 01-06-2019 05:25 PM

So much parity this year. I like the Chargers, and would be okay with the Chiefs. Rams or Bears from the NFC.

RE: 2018-19 NFL Playoffs - Seahawkhoops - 01-06-2019 08:05 PM

(01-06-2019 05:25 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  So much parity this year. I like the Chargers, and would be okay with the Chiefs. Rams or Bears from the NFC.

with who is left in the NFC at this point i'm ABC.... Anyone but the Cowboys! I'm sure you likely the same with AFC and Pats.

RE: 2018-19 NFL Playoffs - Seahawk Nation 08 - 01-07-2019 08:21 AM

We'll see what wins out next weekend: The Patriots' mathematically impossible level of homefield advantage, or the better team.

I think all 4 top-2 seeds win. Recency bias is making people overrate some of these WC round teams, the Chargers being the lone exception.

RE: 2018-19 NFL Playoffs - Seahawkhoops - 01-07-2019 10:03 AM

(01-07-2019 08:21 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  We'll see what wins out next weekend: The Patriots' mathematically impossible level of homefield advantage, or the better team.

I think all 4 top-2 seeds win. Recency bias is making people overrate some of these WC round teams, the Chargers being the lone exception.

Chargers are good, but they have been jeckyl and hyde this year like the Pats. Their losses they have looked suspect, their wins great. Melvin Gordon did not look like himself this weekend. Rivers is 0-7 Vs Brady in his career, so there's that.

RE: 2018-19 NFL Playoffs - B_Hawk06 - 01-07-2019 01:01 PM

(01-07-2019 10:03 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(01-07-2019 08:21 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  We'll see what wins out next weekend: The Patriots' mathematically impossible level of homefield advantage, or the better team.

Chargers are good, but they have been jeckyl and hyde this year like the Pats. Their losses they have looked suspect, their wins great. Melvin Gordon did not look like himself this weekend. Rivers is 0-7 Vs Brady in his career, so there's that.

Knew a post like this was coming. LOL

Looking forward to Rivers getting his this year vs. Brady.

----------

Off topic a bit, but let's discuss "divisional" priority in the NFL playoffs. I really wish they'd go to a straight conference ranking for playoffs like the NBA. Now, I know the NBA is even considering going a step further and just a straight up top 16 in the NBA make the playoffs in a scenario where the western conference could have 10 teams and the eastern 6 or any combination of uneven playoff alignment. But... what does conference affiliation even matter these days... outside of a silly All-Star game. Anyways... back to the NFL. The "divisional" standings and auto home playoff games are ridiculous. Point being the Chargers and Ravens. The Ravens squeaked into the playoffs by winning a relatively weak AFC North and were able to host a game and force the Chargers to travel after they finished with a better record and more or less coasted to the playoffs on sustained regular season success. It's time for the NFL to abandon "divisions". Yes, this is coming from a Bills fan who has seen the Patriots own the AFC East on the backs of the Bills, Jets and Dolphins who have all mostly been a dumpster fire for the entirety of Tom Brady's career and the Belichick era in New England. Not saying the Patriots weren't good in all those years (obviously they got it done), but I think the NFL would be much better served at least starting with a change to the top 8 teams in each conference making the playoffs AND the home games being allotted to those with the best records regardless of division.

RE: 2018-19 NFL Playoffs - Seahawk Nation 08 - 01-07-2019 03:15 PM

(01-07-2019 01:01 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  

----------

Off topic a bit, but let's discuss "divisional" priority in the NFL playoffs. I really wish they'd go to a straight conference ranking for playoffs like the NBA. Now, I know the NBA is even considering going a step further and just a straight up top 16 in the NBA make the playoffs in a scenario where the western conference could have 10 teams and the eastern 6 or any combination of uneven playoff alignment. But... what does conference affiliation even matter these days... outside of a silly All-Star game. Anyways... back to the NFL. The "divisional" standings and auto home playoff games are ridiculous. Point being the Chargers and Ravens. The Ravens squeaked into the playoffs by winning a relatively weak AFC North and were able to host a game and force the Chargers to travel after they finished with a better record and more or less coasted to the playoffs on sustained regular season success. It's time for the NFL to abandon "divisions". Yes, this is coming from a Bills fan who has seen the Patriots own the AFC East on the backs of the Bills, Jets and Dolphins who have all mostly been a dumpster fire for the entirety of Tom Brady's career and the Belichick era in New England. Not saying the Patriots weren't good in all those years (obviously they got it done), but I think the NFL would be much better served at least starting with a change to the top 8 teams in each conference making the playoffs AND the home games being allotted to those with the best records regardless of division.

The problem with this thinking is that regional rivalries are actually a thing in the NFL, unlike the NBA.

Some of the biggest historical rivalries in the NBA aren't geographical. Lakers-Celtics, for instance. And the trend of the NBA is that teams don't even matter much; its all about the players.

You remove the incentive to win a division, it waters down the NFL rivalries within each division. The NFL badly wants to keep those relevant.

RE: 2018-19 NFL Playoffs - Seahawkhoops - 01-07-2019 03:56 PM

----------

LOL, i'll be the first to tell you i doubt the Pats are going to the super bowl this year. But, just pointing out relevant history. SD has been very good on the road this year, while the Pats have been very good at home. Something has got to give!

Don't necessarily disagree about divisions mattering less in fact i mostly agree. Chargers were just unfortunate to be in the same division as KC. That said, this is one of the few years the Pats wouldn't be 1, 2 even in that scenario.

RE: 2018-19 NFL Playoffs - Seahawkhoops - 01-07-2019 04:00 PM

(01-07-2019 03:15 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  

----------

The problem with this thinking is that regional rivalries are actually a thing in the NFL, unlike the NBA.

Some of the biggest historical rivalries in the NBA aren't geographical. Lakers-Celtics, for instance. And the trend of the NBA is that teams don't even matter much; its all about the players.

You remove the incentive to win a division, it waters down the NFL rivalries within each division. The NFL badly wants to keep those relevant.
While i see where you are going, i don't necessarily agree. Let's go KC- Denver for example, Denver would like nothing more than to knock KC out of say a 1, 2 spot in the playoffs, even if the "division" doesn't matter as much. You can still have divisions but re-seed based on record.

RE: 2018-19 NFL Playoffs - CaliGlowin - 01-08-2019 08:00 PM

I'm a Seahawks and Rams fan, still hoping the Rams get some miracle wins. And an all LA super bowl will be a double miracle!

RE: 2018-19 NFL Playoffs - B_Hawk06 - 01-09-2019 07:54 AM

(01-08-2019 08:00 PM)CaliGlowin Wrote:  I'm a Seahawks and Rams fan, still hoping the Rams get some miracle wins. And an all LA super bowl will be a double miracle!

No judgment, just curious. How does one identify as a legit fan of two different teams?

RE: 2018-19 NFL Playoffs - Seahawk Nation 08 - 01-09-2019 08:54 AM

(01-09-2019 07:54 AM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  
(01-08-2019 08:00 PM)CaliGlowin Wrote:  I'm a Seahawks and Rams fan, still hoping the Rams get some miracle wins. And an all LA super bowl will be a double miracle!

No judgment, just curious. How does one identify as a legit fan of two different teams?

Hopefully he meant UNCW and Rams. The only Rams fan I know despises the Seattle Seahawks more than other team in the NFC West.

He even hates Russell Wilson, which I find hard to do, lol.

RE: 2018-19 NFL Playoffs - Seahawkhoops - 01-09-2019 09:04 AM

(01-09-2019 08:54 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(01-09-2019 07:54 AM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  

Hopefully he meant UNCW and Rams. The only Rams fan I know despises the Seattle Seahawks more than other team in the NFC West.

He even hates Russell Wilson, which I find hard to do, lol.

Maybe someone form St Louis that moved to Seattle? I dunno, i causally rooted for the Panthers after moving here until they played Pats in the SB.

RE: 2018-19 NFL Playoffs - B_Hawk06 - 01-09-2019 09:49 AM

I don't casually root for any team in the NFL, and I'm firmly with the Buffalo Bills.

I've lived in a wide range of states, cities with teams etc. I still don't understand the "I live here now, I'll casually root for ________."

Then again, I've never "settled" long term anywhere as an adult either. Come to think of it, since I've left home I've never spent more than 4 years in one home. Most places it's 2-3 years and off. Criss-crossed the country two times, and this summer will be 3 when I move to Arizona.

All that to say, Go Bills and none other! Circle the f'n wagons baby!!!!!

RE: 2018-19 NFL Playoffs - Seahawkhoops - 01-09-2019 10:04 AM

(01-09-2019 09:49 AM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  I don't casually root for any team in the NFL, and I'm firmly with the Buffalo Bills.

I've lived in a wide range of states, cities with teams etc. I still don't understand the "I live here now, I'll casually root for ________."

Then again, I've never "settled" long term anywhere as an adult either. Come to think of it, since I've left home I've never spent more than 4 years in one home. Most places it's 2-3 years and off. Criss-crossed the country two times, and this summer will be 3 when I move to Arizona.

All that to say, Go Bills and none other! Circle the f'n wagons baby!!!!!
Right, I've lived in two places, Mass & NC. It's easier with my allegiance as the Pats path would rarely cross with the Panthers. But when it did, it became the end of my casual rooting!
I don't really follow hockey closely, but did watch the bruins growing up. But, i now to Hurricanes games all the time now. So, I'd pull for the local team here.
To an extent, UNCW became my "moved there following". Granted my wife is an alum, but i started following, going to games before she and I ever met. Had i not moved to Wilmington, i probably wouldn't be here now chatting.
My lifetime allegiances will never change, Pats, Yanks, C's, Cuse will always trump anything else i watch, follow.

RE: 2018-19 NFL Playoffs - Seahawk Nation 08 - 01-09-2019 10:13 AM

My 2 favorite NFL teams are the Jets and whoever is facing the Patriots. Since the Jets don't have a game this week....go Chargers!

In the meantime, hopefully we'll have a coach very soon. Looks like its down to McCarthy or Matt Rhule, with dark horse candidates Adam Gase and Todd Monken. Just hire one of them already; the suspense is killing me...

RE: 2018-19 NFL Playoffs - Seahawkhoops - 01-09-2019 10:22 AM

(01-09-2019 10:13 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  My 2 favorite NFL teams are the Jets and whoever is facing the Patriots. Since the Jets don't have a game this week....go Chargers!

In the meantime, hopefully we'll have a coach very soon. Looks like its down to McCarthy or Matt Rhule, with dark horse candidates Adam Gase and Todd Monken. Just hire one of them already; the suspense is killing me...

I've heard McCarthy wants to sit for a year

RE: 2018-19 NFL Playoffs - Seahawk Nation 08 - 01-09-2019 10:46 AM

(01-09-2019 10:22 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  I've heard McCarthy wants to sit for a year

Yes, but the agent discredited that that is his ONLY option he's considering. It's a negotiating tactic.

It was the Jets, Browns, or sitting out. The Browns are close to hiring their guy (Kitchens or Stefanski....they're not considering McCarthy), so the only leverage McCarthy has to get more money out of the Jets is to say he's sitting out.

RE: 2018-19 NFL Playoffs - bricksnivy - 01-09-2019 10:56 AM

My 2 favorite NFL teams are the Bears and whoever is facing the Packers. Since the Bears lost last week, I'm finished watching football until next year. Before the playoffs started, I predicted the Chargers vs Saints. I'll stick with that, but Indy is intriguing.

Nation, it would be hard for me to get excited about Gase after the past two years. His one year in Chicago was really good, but he made some confusing moves in Miami. That said, feels like his QB situation would be clearer, and better, in NY.

RE: 2018-19 NFL Playoffs - Seahawk Nation 08 - 01-09-2019 11:33 AM

(01-09-2019 10:56 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  Nation, it would be hard for me to get excited about Gase after the past two years. His one year in Chicago was really good, but he made some confusing moves in Miami. That said, feels like his QB situation would be clearer, and better, in NY.

Agreed. He's a terrific QB Coach/Offensive Coordinator. I wouldn't want to touch him as HC.

Still, overall, I'm happier with the choice of HC's this time around compared to the last time the Jets were looking at coaches. There's no question in my mind that McCarthy/Rhule/other are more intriguing options than Dan Quinn/Todd Bowles/other were 4 years ago.