CSNbbs
Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip (/thread-867522.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - ColonelEbirt - 01-03-2019 09:07 PM

Need to move on from that one. Hope the guys come out strong on Saturday. Let’s go Tribe!

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - Tribester - 01-03-2019 09:07 PM

Wonder if Tony can find the practice time to shoot free throws NOW!?! 6-17 is a joke. Will we take this seriously...or just have the players work on it on their own? End of game decision making was not good to say the least and reflects poorly on the coaching staff.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - nj alum - 01-03-2019 09:08 PM

Bad, bad loss.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - tribetime10 - 01-03-2019 09:09 PM

Maybe I’ve missed this, but any idea why Nate wasn’t on the floor for the final play?

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - EvanJ - 01-03-2019 09:10 PM

(01-03-2019 08:54 PM)LeadBolt Wrote:  Loewe leading team in rebounds; Rowley leading team in assists?
Loewe finished tied with Pierce for the team lead. Loewe entered averaging 1.1 rebounds. I wonder how rare it is for a player averaging 1.1 rebounds through at least 14 games to lead his team in rebounds. It reminds me of February 8, 2011, when George Mason won at UNCW, and George Mason's only blocked shot was by Andre Cornelius, who blocked 6 shots in 121 games. In his sophomore season, he played 866 minutes without a block.

(01-03-2019 09:01 PM)Tribeheart Wrote:  Had no timeouts left per the announcers. If so, that's on Tony to not be in that situation.
You called your second half timeouts with 11:44, 3:30, and 0:33 left.

(01-03-2019 09:09 PM)tribetime10 Wrote:  Maybe I’ve missed this, but any idea why Nate wasn’t on the floor for the final play?
The announcers claimed you wanted "shooters."

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - tribeinexile - 01-03-2019 09:12 PM

Shaver gambled the Delaware player would make the FT and we would need a 3.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - tribetime10 - 01-03-2019 09:16 PM

(01-03-2019 09:12 PM)tribeinexile Wrote:  Shaver gambled the Delaware player would make the FT and we would need a 3.

I’m doing mental gymnastics figuring out the logic over here but anyway I slice it, I want Nate on the floor.

Makes both, Down 4: I want Nate on the floor for a quick 2
Makes one, Down 3: I want Nate on the floor to spread the floor and help find an open man to tie the game
Make 0, Down 2: I want Nate on the floor to tie the game

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - Tribeheart - 01-03-2019 09:17 PM

This is our easiest roadtrip for conference play. No class, ample prep time, studentless crowds, and should have been enough time built in to recover from any bus rides. Other than the Elon away and home games, it will be much tougher after this swing, both home and away.

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - tribeinexile - 01-03-2019 09:29 PM

We can talk about coaching, FT shooting and many other aspects of this horrible game. It comes down to this:

The upperclassmen have not stepped up to take a leadership role on this team.

I'm not saying it is easy to go from being the most talented players on an experienced team to being the go-to guys. They just haven't done it and until (hopefully not unless) they do, there is a very real ceiling on this team.

Knight has to stay on the court. He needs to attack the basket on offense and draw fouls, not play a soft game. Pierce has to be a stat-stuffer every night. They both disappeared tonight and we lost. Milon was shooting well but he can't create his own shots. Rowley outrebounded Knight tonight (!!!!!!) and got more assists as well but needs to be a better decision maker.

When your leaders miss free throws, everyone misses free throws.

We have been comparing Knight and Pierce to Wright-Foreman, Riller and Cacock. They are not yet playing at that level.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - billymac - 01-03-2019 11:11 PM

The hard truth here is that every CAA road game is a struggle. Every road win is a gift. To just give one away, in a game where the defense (of all things) played more than well enough to win, after having a 12 point lead in the 2nd Half, is just frustrating. These chances won't come on a regular basis. We need to get mentally more prepared to take advantage of these opportunities in the future.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - Zorch - 01-04-2019 12:14 AM

(01-03-2019 09:29 PM)tribeinexile Wrote:  The upperclassmen have not stepped up to take a leadership role on this team.

Knight has to stay on the court.

When your leaders miss free throws, everyone misses free throws.

(01-03-2019 09:01 PM)Tribeheart Wrote:  
(01-03-2019 08:59 PM)tribemike09 Wrote:  Why no timeout before the last possession? Frustrating loss.
Had no timeouts left per the announcers. If so, that's on Tony to not be in that situation.

The above post by tribeinexile is right on point. The three upperclassmen have all been disappointing as leaders. That includes off the court where they should be leading the way by practicing free throws to show the youngsters how important it is. Plus, if Knight had played more in the first half then the Tribe would have had more than a 7 point lead.

Besides the free throws, I am tremendously disappointed in the last play. Even with no timeouts to set up a play, the team should still have been able to get off a much much much better last shot (because, remember, they are practicing such things in practice rather than shooting free throws). That last play was a total fiasco. Couldn't they have just figured out what Tony would have run? Couldn't Tony's piercing whistle have clued them in?

I have always been a big supporter of Shaver (with one reason being that I strongly remember how bad things were before he got here and how long it took him to turn it around). Having said that, though, I have to admit that a lot of these problems are attributable to coaching --- and, fortunately, can still be corrected by coaching. Shaver is up to it ....but are the players? This is where the upperclassmen really have to step up. Own up to their responsibilities, take the blame for this loss, and set about leading the way forward.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - Zorch - 01-04-2019 12:29 AM

(01-03-2019 09:16 PM)tribetime10 Wrote:  
(01-03-2019 09:12 PM)tribeinexile Wrote:  Shaver gambled the Delaware player would make the FT and we would need a 3.

I’m doing mental gymnastics figuring out the logic over here but anyway I slice it, I want Nate on the floor.

Makes both, Down 4: I want Nate on the floor for a quick 2
Makes one, Down 3: I want Nate on the floor to spread the floor and help find an open man to tie the game
Make 0, Down 2: I want Nate on the floor to tie the game

During Tony's post game interview with Kris Sears (available on the Tribe site) he said a player "substituted for the wrong player" on the last play. Maybe that is why Nate wasn't on the floor. (Technically, at the time of that substitution, it wasn't the last play yet ...so obviously Tony was talking about whenever the last substitution was made.).

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - Naptown Tribe - 01-04-2019 12:42 AM

Coach’s postgame interview: https://youtu.be/AcEpC8_FMuk

That last point in the interview abt the lack of awareness and one of our guys checking in for the wrong player at that point in the game is astounding. How does it happen by the player and how do the coaches let it happen during the free throw? Where is our focus?

I love our team, players, and coaches, but I think it’s safe to say that last night was no one’s best night.

On to Drexel; let’s go beat the Dragons! Go Tribe!

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - soccerguy315 - 01-04-2019 02:54 AM

that is ridiculous

Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - tribemike09 - 01-04-2019 06:40 AM

From a coaching perspective, I was also surprised by our lineup towards the end of the first half. I felt like Tony got a little too cute by having that many freshman out there at the same time. Starters were playing just fine to that point - keep them out and try to build the lead. Realize Nate and Justin had two fouls, but probably could have kept Pierce in there.

The turnovers drove me crazy too. That’s not on Tony. Lots of guys forcing passes inside on backdoor cuts that were intercepted. Scott had several turnovers - he seems to always have one or two a game where he passes to where he thinks someone should be and it ends up being a pass directly out of bounds. Hopefully he can correct this.

Happy to see the defensive intensity continue, despite the loss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - bubbadog57 - 01-04-2019 07:19 AM

An awful night, capped by an especially gruesome final play sequence. Not to mention remarkably inept foul shooting (six for seventeen doesn't seem possible).

As Shaver mentioned in his Tribe U-Tube comments, although he mentioned no names, his last substitute apparently removed Knight from the game by mistake. Regardless of that, I am puzzled why we didn't drive for the basket or have Pierce or Milon (or Audige) take the last shot if a three-pointer.

A game we should have won, as others have correctly said including Shaver, we should have won
hands down.

p.s. The foul shooting fiasco is not because they don't practice them. The coaches keep a record of required daily foul shooting attempts for each player. I know for a fact that Nathan takes 50-100 practice fouls every day other than when they are on the road or on a home game day. It appears to me that the team is gripped by an in-game foul shot psychosis that has spread throughout the roster that magnifies every foul shot as can happen to teams.

There is a famous story about Hot Rod Hundley, the great and somewhat bizarre, unconventional West Virginia All-American: apparently he found himself in one of those dreadful foul shooting slumps and broke it by playing one game where his first foul attempt was a hook shot! Everyone laughed (except for perhaps his coach, Fred Schaus) and he proceeded to start making foul attempts again after that.

Maybe that's a solution.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - ScottyB757 - 01-04-2019 08:54 AM

Dreadful game. Let's hope they learn and move on.

I missed the hot mic comment by the UD TV announcers...what did they say?

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - zablenoise - 01-04-2019 10:25 AM

After a night's sleep, I still feel like brunt of the burden for the loss falls on Tony. Players are gonna have good nights and bad nights but there were some very questionable line up combinations, tactical decisions (switching to man in the 2nd half), and, obviously, substitutions that this team can't afford. Tony is a smart guy and I'm sure he's already diagnosed what he can do better against Drexel on Saturday. I look forward to seeing an improved Tribe team (and more of that aggressive 2-3 zone please!) in Philly.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - Tribe32 - 01-04-2019 11:19 AM

We should have been up 20 in the first half and won by 10 regardless given all of the missed free throws and bad shot selection. We should have put more pressure on them when we were up 14, but instead we followed substitution patterns and they cut it to a manageable number. We should win a game where we give up less than 60 points 100 times out of 100. Sure we can question Tony's coaching, but players are the ones who couldn't hit free throws and who took very questionable shots down the stretch. I think some of them don't have enough guts under pressure. Happy to see Milon with two good games on both ends back to back. BTW, Delaware appeared to be about the same as JMU and Towson from what I observed.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - TribeNiner - 01-04-2019 12:05 PM

Players didn't hit their free throws, coaching was questionable at best, and everything came together for us to lose on the road by 2. Time to move on and try to get the next win. One game doesn't make a regular season and one game can't break a regular season. Hopefully, we see improvement on the floor and from the bench in the next outing.