CSNbbs
Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip (/thread-867522.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - TribePride91 - 01-04-2019 02:09 PM

Very bad loss and one that I really hope can be overcome by the end of the season. On the positive side, the defense has been better at least by the numbers for the first 3 games of the CAA schedule. Secondly, it appeared that Nathan can basically score almost at will as long as we can get him the ball in the right position. Third, last shot notwithstanding, Matt Milon played a very good ballgame.
On the negative side, Pierce really struggled. Frankly, when his energy level is up and he is scoring, assisting, rebounding and is all over the floor, the Tribe is a different team. Plus, his defense can be a real difference for the team as a whole. Justin is an extremely dynamic player, but last night was a bad night for him. Also, the free throw shooting is terrible and basically the 3pt shooting is as well(excluding Milon the last few games). Did anyone else think the reason we didn't go for 2 at the very end was a thought we would miss the FT's if we happened to get fouled? When Luke got the rebound(which gave us a second chance), I was actually pleased he got it to Milon because I didn't want him to get fouled.

It is early, but if the premise is that Northeastern, Hofstra and Charleston are the favorites to be top 3, the Tribe has to win games against the other 6 teams to have any chance to compete at the top. Last night would not have only been a road win, but it would have been something Northeastern just failed to accomplish. Nevertheless, if the Tribe can win Saturday and then follow it up with 3 big home wins in row(vs. Hofstra, Northeastern and Elon), things will be about as good as they could be.

I was less bothered by the end of the first half and the substitutions. While the offense stagnated, I thought Harvey played well defensively in his few minutes and it is good to give different guys some opportunities so that they will be prepared for when Nathan and/or Justin is off the floor. But, the 2nd half drought was extremely frustrating. I am not sure the Tribe can beat anyone when we shoot less that 40% from 3 and from the line. Had Milon managed to hit that very difficult last second 3, the Tribe would have stolen one. But, perhaps there will be more improvement team-wise having lost. Right now, my opinion is that none of the 7 other teams are close to the top 3(Northeastern, Hofstra, Charleston). I think many of us can still see a scenario where the Tribe can become a challenger to those 3 this season.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - Rocco - 01-04-2019 02:42 PM

Knight: 76.9% FT last year, 70.6% this year; shooting .5 more free throws/game this year
Pierce: 79% last year, 61.1% this year, shooting .8 more FTs/game this year
Milon: 92.1% last year, 70% this year, shooting .1 more FTs/game this year (2.1 FTs, so not a lot)
Rowley: 57.9% last year, 71.4% this year, shooting .1 more FTs/game this year (.7 FTs)

The team is shooting nearly the same number of FTs as last year. In 2018, the 2017 FTs from Whitman and Bad Knight went to Good Knight, while Cohn bounced back from the line and Pierce improved. This year Knight is a little worse but still fine. Pierce has regressed closer to 2017 numbers. Milon's probably going to bounce up a little. Cohn's free throws went to Audige and Owens who are 67% from the line, so that's the drop-off. Not helping either: Loewe going 1-11, which is bad but big men tend to have issues with free throws.

/checks notes

I'm being told Loewe is a guard who was 9-14 in limited playing time last year from the line.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - Zorch - 01-04-2019 02:42 PM

(01-04-2019 07:19 AM)bubbadog57 Wrote:  There is a famous story about Hot Rod Hundley, the great and somewhat bizarre, unconventional West Virginia All-American: apparently he found himself in one of those dreadful foul shooting slumps and broke it by playing one game where his first foul attempt was a hook shot! Everyone laughed (except for perhaps his coach, Fred Schaus) and he proceeded to start making foul attempts again after that.

Maybe that's a solution.

Another possible solution (and one which is much more viable, in my opinion) is for the players to start shooting foul shots underhanded like Rick Barry did (his percentage was very high).

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - Zorch - 01-04-2019 02:54 PM

(01-04-2019 12:05 PM)TribeNiner Wrote:  One game doesn't make a regular season and one game can't break a regular season.

(01-04-2019 02:09 PM)TribePride91 Wrote:  Very bad loss and one that I really hope can be overcome by the end of the season.

It is early, but if the premise is that Northeastern, Hofstra and Charleston are the favorites to be top 3, the Tribe has to win games against the other 6 teams to have any chance to compete at the top. Last night would not have only been a road win, but it would have been something Northeastern just failed to accomplish.

Had Milon managed to hit that very difficult last second 3, the Tribe would have stolen one. But, perhaps there will be more improvement team-wise having lost.

Sometimes one game, especially when it is a really bad loss that should have been a win, really can affect the rest of the season. We just gave away a road win. We would have been 3-0 in league -- a tremendous start which we have done only one other time in the Shaver era. If we beat Drexel, we would have had the other undefeated teams coming to our house next week -- advantage home team! But we bungled it and have no one to blame but ourselves.

The thing about Milon hitting that last three and winning the game -- well, that would have been great but then we would have learned nothing from it. We would have simply thought that we had dodged another bullet (a loss attributable to free throws) and after a while the team would feel impervious. Now, maybe truly they will learn and know that they CAN lose a game because of free throws and don't let it happen again. If that happens then this loss will have value; otherwise, it is simply a bad give-away of a nice road win.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - TribePride91 - 01-04-2019 03:23 PM

Zorch, I agree. The 3-0 start was just last year, I believe. As I think we all recall, following a sweep of Delaware and Drexel on the road, the Tribe returned home, beat JMU in a crazy last minute comeback and OT, but then got destroyed in back to back home games against Northeastern and Towson.

Last night only really matters if the Tribe improves off of the result and if they play well enough the rest of the season to be at or the near the top of the CAA. Definitely not saying we deserved to win given how we played in the second half, nor that we had a good play or good look at the end. Also, trying not to overreact to one bad half in January. While the defense is looking a little better since CAA play began, the shooting percentages, turnovers and free throw shooting is an unwelcome surprise. Even though Drexel and Delaware have struggled a lot the last few years, not many CAA teams win both on their road trip thru those 2 venues. A win Saturday still puts the Tribe in position to move toward the top of the standings next week. The Gold Rush rematch against Delaware will be a measuring line for the Tribe because after that game, there will be no easy games left(5 road and Home against UNCW and Charleston).

Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - Tribal - 01-04-2019 03:25 PM

Must read

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/sports/colleges/hes-juggling-basketball-and-law-school-at-william-and-mary-and-whistling-all-the-way/2019/01/04/257ce91a-1037-11e9-8938-5898adc28fa2_story.html?noredirect=on&__twitter_impression=true

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - SoCal Frank - 01-04-2019 04:21 PM

Eleven pts off the bench must improve. That’s not enough.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - ScottyB757 - 01-04-2019 04:55 PM

(01-04-2019 03:25 PM)Tribal Wrote:  Must read

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/sports/colleges/hes-juggling-basketball-and-law-school-at-william-and-mary-and-whistling-all-the-way/2019/01/04/257ce91a-1037-11e9-8938-5898adc28fa2_story.html?noredirect=on&__twitter_impression=true

Nice article. Best line: “Two years ago, we played at Duke and I hit three straight threes in the first half...Think about it. At some point in that game Mike Krzyzewski might have said to his guys during a timeout, ‘Will someone please guard that f------ Rowley kid?’ How amazing is that?”

My favorite Rowley memory was last year (maybe the year before)...during an extended break for the officials to discuss something, Paul was waiting, walking along the sideline across from the visitor's bench, when he spotted a box of popcorn on the table. He casually grabbed the box, dug out a handful, and ate it on the court. I was laughing too hard to notice if he said "thanks" to the fans from whom he stole the popcorn, but I'm sure he did.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - LeadBolt - 01-04-2019 05:06 PM

I love the memory of Rowley running down the court kissing his bicep after he blocked a Gustys shot.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - TribePride91 - 01-04-2019 05:43 PM

What a great article! Paul is the main reason(just as Connor, David, Ollie and Cole were last year) for the 2018-19 season to be a win in Charleston year. While I have great optimism for 19-20 like so many, I really hope the Tribe can get this figured out and go on a 3 month run beginning tomorrow. Regardless, it sounds like Paul has life priorities figured out.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - Zorch - 01-04-2019 09:09 PM

Contrast the men losing the game at the free throw line to the Tribe women tonight. The women won at Hofstra 60-55. They made 17-20 free throws, including 8-10 in the last minute. Hofstra made something like 4-13.

Maybe Shaver needs to get some pointers from Swanson.

Edit - Final Boxscore shows the Tribe made 16-19 free throws.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - NC Tribe - 01-05-2019 08:46 AM

(01-04-2019 04:55 PM)ScottyB757 Wrote:  
(01-04-2019 03:25 PM)Tribal Wrote:  Must read

Nice article. Best line: “Two years ago, we played at Duke and I hit three straight threes in the first half...Think about it. At some point in that game Mike Krzyzewski might have said to his guys during a timeout, ‘Will someone please guard that f------ Rowley kid?’ How amazing is that?”

My favorite Rowley memory was last year (maybe the year before)...during an extended break for the officials to discuss something, Paul was waiting, walking along the sideline across from the visitor's bench, when he spotted a box of popcorn on the table. He casually grabbed the box, dug out a handful, and ate it on the court. I was laughing too hard to notice if he said "thanks" to the fans from whom he stole the popcorn, but I'm sure he did.

OK, who is going to get the fund started for the Tribe to have a grad assistant?

I am in.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - billymac - 01-05-2019 10:09 AM

OK, so accepting that these are, basically, mostly just 19-20 year old kids, I see a bounce back today. We are favored by 2.5 and I'm betting on much better mental focus by everyone. Hopefully, Drexel won't know what hit 'em...

Go Tribe!

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - EvanJ - 01-05-2019 10:26 AM

(01-04-2019 02:42 PM)Zorch Wrote:  Another possible solution (and one which is much more viable, in my opinion) is for the players to start shooting foul shots underhanded like Rick Barry did (his percentage was very high).
Rick's youngest son Canyon also shot underhand while playing for Charleston and Florida. He played at William & Mary on January 3, 2015 and January 2, 2016. Who went to those games?

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - Tribal - 01-05-2019 12:43 PM

(01-05-2019 10:09 AM)billymac Wrote:  OK, so accepting that these are, basically, mostly just 19-20 year old kids, I see a bounce back today. We are favored by 2.5 and I'm betting on much better mental focus by everyone. Hopefully, Drexel won't know what hit 'em...

Go Tribe!
Bless your heart.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - Mrs. Got Ribe - 01-05-2019 03:08 PM

(01-05-2019 10:26 AM)EvanJ Wrote:  
(01-04-2019 02:42 PM)Zorch Wrote:  Another possible solution (and one which is much more viable, in my opinion) is for the players to start shooting foul shots underhanded like Rick Barry did (his percentage was very high).
Rick's youngest son Canyon also shot underhand while playing for Charleston and Florida. He played at William & Mary on January 3, 2015 and January 2, 2016. Who went to those games?

We were there for those games. As I recall, Canyon hurt his shoulder (?) right in front of us one year.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - Mrs. Got Ribe - 01-05-2019 03:10 PM

(01-04-2019 05:06 PM)LeadBolt Wrote:  I love the memory of Rowley running down the court kissing his bicep after he blocked a Gustys shot.

So many funny Rowley moments. Earlier this year, he came off the floor after being called for a travel. He said, "I didn't travel. I told the ref that being slow doesn't equal traveling."

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - billymac - 01-05-2019 03:33 PM

No Justin today. He is ill and will not play. Rowley will start.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - Naptown Tribe - 01-05-2019 04:04 PM

Good opportunity for Quinn Blair today

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - SoCal Frank - 01-05-2019 04:04 PM

A win today makes the trip a good one. It also allows for a happy trip home. These things count.