CSNbbs
Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip (/thread-867522.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - bubbadog57 - 01-02-2019 07:20 AM

Our Tribe has always been an iffy team at CAA road games and especially,
at times, when playing lower rated CAA squads. The Delaware and Drexel games the latter part of this week are good examples.

Both these games are winnable for our guys if they continue to play as they've played the past two home contests. Both Delaware (tomorrow evening at 7 PM) and Drexel (Saturday at 4 PM) have had a great deal of trouble this season and both have lost non-conference games to terrible teams.

If we can continue our solid defense and accurate three-point shooting
of the past two games along with the improving play of our three junior leaders and the continued dramatic improvement of the Audige-Owens freshman duo we might win both.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - TribePride91 - 01-02-2019 09:08 AM

At least right now, we are underdogs on the betting line in each of our next 4 games. The next two weeks will tell us if we have improved since mid-December or if we are closer to the 2-7 squad that began the year. Winning on the road is not easy. Winning at Kaplan over Hofstra and Northeastern won't be easy either.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - mrjoolius - 01-02-2019 09:19 AM

(01-02-2019 09:08 AM)TribePride91 Wrote:  At least right now, we are underdogs on the betting line in each of our next 4 games. The next two weeks will tell us if we have improved since mid-December or if we are closer to the 2-7 squad that began the year. Winning on the road is not easy. Winning at Kaplan over Hofstra and Northeastern won't be easy either.
Until this squad demonstrates any form of consistency, no betting line is safe. Wouldn't shock me to win or lose either game by 10 points. I need to see solid shooting strung together over some games. I need to see solid defensive performances to assure me that they get it. I need to see the offense ran efficiently and the mind numbing turnovers reduced. These next two games could go a long way to convince me this team is turning the corner.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - Tribe32 - 01-02-2019 09:53 AM

I think the 2 conference games are more indicative of what we will play like compared to the non-conference games. Rotation is set, no more goofing around with playing the bench. The biggest thing we need to worry about in every game is Knight's fouls. He's the only person who can stop him.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - mrjoolius - 01-02-2019 10:10 AM

(01-02-2019 09:53 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  The biggest thing we need to worry about in every game is Knight's fouls. He's the only person who can stop him.

There are a couple guys in striped shirts that may have a say in who stops who.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - Zorch - 01-02-2019 10:36 AM

(01-02-2019 09:19 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  I need to see the ... mind numbing turnovers reduced.

Turnovers have been less than 10 for, I think, seven straight games. Keep that going and the team will be competitive.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - billymac - 01-02-2019 10:42 AM

IMO, The league is not as strong this year, as in some past years.
I believe the Top 3 are definitely better than the next 3 and much better than the bottom 4.

That being said, the performance of our next opponent, over the past week, just completely boggles my mind and makes me doubt any thing I think I know about the strength of the individual teams, from 1 to 10.

First, the Blue Hens have the worst out of conference loss of the season, bar none, on their home court. Embarrassing.

Then, they have the worst League loss, to date, of any league team. They didn't even show up at Hofstra.

Then they turn around and defeat one of the Top 3, on the road, in Double OT, (lots of chances to make mistakes and lose).

This does not compute.

A team that loses to Delaware State, should not be able to take out one of our best three teams, at their place.
Typically, CAA teams are so inconsistent, that I would hate to be the guy in Vegas, charged with setting lines on CAA games. He has to feel a sense of impending doom about the future of his job. However, if this series of events can (and they did) happen, how can you have any faith that the better team should win on any given night.
Heck, look how many times W&M has made those head scratching losses, late, to teams they should have beaten. The Senior Day loss to Drexel, for one.
As a gambling aficionado of mine has told me, "on CAA games, bet the Over/Under (if you must), but don't bet on the outcome. The league is too hard to figure from night to night."

A couple Notes for Thursday:

• Delaware snapped a three-game losing streak against NU.

Ithiel Horton's 27 points are tied for the fifth most by a UD freshman in school history. Their prized freshman guard averages 13.7 ppg and 3.1 rpg.

Eric Carter (yeah, he's still there) moved into 11th place on the UD rebounding chart. He leads the team with 18.6 ppg and 10 rpg. He's still good.

• Delaware improved to 6-0 in overtime games under Ingelsby, and won its second double overtime game of the year (beat 'em in regulation).

Ryan Allen is back and averaging 13.0 points per game.

Kevin Anderson runs the point and has 4.3 assists per game while scoring 11.4 ppg. Again, we will be facing a point guard that likes to rebound, as Anderson also pulls down 5.1 rebounds per game.

We just need to show that we are learning the lessons of team ball, as the freshmen grow up and that we can apply those lessons, under duress, on the road.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - ColonelEbirt - 01-02-2019 10:42 AM

I tend to agree that the team will be more consistent now that the rotation is more locked in. But keep in mind that it was more about injuries than OOC 'experimentation' that gave us so many rotations in the OOC schedule - and the injury bug could come back any time. It the team had been healthy all year, I think we would have only seen 1-2 different starting line-ups at this point -- Luke, Justin, Nate, Matt, Paul; maybe Luke, Justin, Nate, Matt, Chase if Chase had the opportunity to prove his starting value over Paul in what would have been more limited OOC time on the floor. We also would have picked up a few more W's in the OOC!

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - TribePride91 - 01-02-2019 11:13 AM

Thanks guys. I think the thing I am feeling is cautious optimism. I am very clear on the talent of the top 3(Charleston, Northeastern and Hofstra, in no particular order). If the Tribe is going to supplant any of those teams, it has to first show it can win on the road. Then, it will have a chance to play at home next week against 2 of the 3. Like BillyMac, I am shocked by Delaware's win. Until they lost to Delaware St., I thought they were looking to be better than expected. Then, they got blown out by Hofstra. Delaware appears to have talent, perhaps beyond their results so far. I am more surprised that Northeastern lost at home with Pusica on the floor than anything else.
For us, the weekend showed better defense and some easy transition buckets too. If we could continue to build on that.......

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - wmmii - 01-02-2019 11:41 AM

it is clear from the St Joe's game and our first two conference wins that our 3-2 zone has been the catalyst that gets the team rolling. Audige in the center of the 3 creates havoc for the other team and we neutralize the other teams quickness.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - WMTRIBE75 - 01-02-2019 11:42 AM

Conference play is hardly the time to tinker with the rotation, but the one thing that I would like to see is Quinn Blair given a chance to spot Nate when Nate goes to the bench. I know that he is shorter than both Rowley and Harvey, and would be at a height disadvantage against most CAA bigs, but there is a football toughness about the kid that I really like that showed up when he had to play minutes in the post area during the non conference schedule. I just think that he is much stronger than the other two, is less likely to be pushed around, and is a better rebounder, even if he would be undersized. And, like Paul, he has a perimeter game and is not afraid to shoot.

I guess that more than anything I am worried that we are wearing Paul down by making him guard post players when Nate is out, and I think that his play is suffering because of it. I would like to see him available to relieve both Justin and Chase, and there is no reason that Paul, Chase, and Justin cannot be on the floor at times by having Chase move to the 2 guard position.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - EvanJ - 01-02-2019 01:27 PM

(01-02-2019 10:42 AM)billymac Wrote:  Typically, CAA teams are so inconsistent, that I would hate to be the guy in Vegas, charged with setting lines on CAA games. He has to feel a sense of impending doom about the future of his job. However, if this series of events can (and they did) happen, how can you have any faith that the better team should win on any given night.
Heck, look how many times W&M has made those head scratching losses, late, to teams they should have beaten. The Senior Day loss to Drexel, for one.
As a gambling aficionado of mine has told me, "on CAA games, bet the Over/Under (if you must), but don't bet on the outcome. The league is too hard to figure from night to night."
Only making the lines for CAA games wouldn't take much time. I'd have to expect one person to make lines for way over 9 games per week. Furthermore, the purpose is to get half the people to bet on each team. The line moves because of betting, not because the person who made the line changed his or her mind about how good the teams are. If every game was 20 points away from the line and half the people bet on each team in each game, the bookies would make money and be happy. It's not like bookies make money based on how close the line and the score were.

In Hofstra's 14 Division I games, the combination of them winning against the spread and the game being under won 9 times.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - billymac - 01-02-2019 02:08 PM

(01-02-2019 01:27 PM)EvanJ Wrote:  
(01-02-2019 10:42 AM)billymac Wrote:  Typically, CAA teams are so inconsistent, that I would hate to be the guy in Vegas, charged with setting lines on CAA games. He has to feel a sense of impending doom about the future of his job. However, if this series of events can (and they did) happen, how can you have any faith that the better team should win on any given night.
Only making the lines for CAA games wouldn't take much time. I'd have to expect one person to make lines for way over 9 games per week. Furthermore, the purpose is to get half the people to bet on each team. The line moves because of betting, not because the person who made the line changed his or her mind about how good the teams are. If every game was 20 points away from the line and half the people bet on each team in each game, the bookies would make money and be happy. It's not like bookies make money based on how close the line and the score were.

In Hofstra's 14 Division I games, the combination of them winning against the spread and the game being under won 9 times.

True that.

However, this advice was for the CAA gambler. I'm sure Vegas would be fine with the results of a team on a 3 game losing streak, actually beating a team that was favored by 12.5 points, at home. The person betting on CAA games...not so much. My friend was only saying that there are easier ways to make money than betting CAA games, but, if you must, the Over/Under would be much safer/productive way to go.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - tribeinexile - 01-02-2019 09:53 PM

(01-02-2019 11:42 AM)WMTRIBE75 Wrote:  Conference play is hardly the time to tinker with the rotation, but the one thing that I would like to see is Quinn Blair given a chance to spot Nate when Nate goes to the bench. I know that he is shorter than both Rowley and Harvey, and would be at a height disadvantage against most CAA bigs, but there is a football toughness about the kid that I really like that showed up when he had to play minutes in the post area during the non conference schedule. I just think that he is much stronger than the other two, is less likely to be pushed around, and is a better rebounder, even if he would be undersized. And, like Paul, he has a perimeter game and is not afraid to shoot.

I guess that more than anything I am worried that we are wearing Paul down by making him guard post players when Nate is out, and I think that his play is suffering because of it. I would like to see him available to relieve both Justin and Chase, and there is no reason that Paul, Chase, and Justin cannot be on the floor at times by having Chase move to the 2 guard position.

I mostly agree with this. I guess my dream rotation, as an uninformed fan, would be Knight, Harvey and Blair (with not much separation between the last two, just playing whoever matches up better that night). I also do not feel Rowley is that effective in the post. Part of it is simply physicality. And I agree it is impacting his shooting. Also, while he is passing in the post better than last year, he is still something of a fouling machine. He averages a foul every 6.5 minutes. (Knight averages a foul every 8.9 minutes and Audige every 9.3 minutes.) I guess the thinking is that Rowley's shooting will draw the defender's post man out and open up opportunities for back door cuts but I'm not sure that trade-off is working.

Arguing against my point, I guess that Shaver would like to have as much upper class leadership on the floor as possible. The counterpoint to that is to question whether Rowley, who is undoubtedly brilliant, has that much court experience in CAA play.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - Rocco - 01-02-2019 10:33 PM

W&M's won 4 of their last 5 games @Drexel, their last 3 @Delaware and their last 6 games overall against Delaware.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - Pete24 - 01-03-2019 06:52 AM

Greg Malinowski, who transferred from W&M to Georgetown last year, scored 26 points in the Hoyas Big East opener against Butler last night. Here's an article about it ...
https://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt-college-hoops-roundup-20190102-story.html#nt=oft01a-1li2

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - mrjoolius - 01-03-2019 07:53 AM

(01-03-2019 06:52 AM)Pete24 Wrote:  Greg Malinowski, who transferred from W&M to Georgetown last year, scored 26 points in the Hoyas Big East opener against Butler last night. Here's an article about it ...
https://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt-college-hoops-roundup-20190102-story.html#nt=oft01a-1li2
This was discussed in the transfer thread. I Like Greg's game and am happy for his success. To me it reflects very little on the W&M program. He would have gotten playing time here last season, his true senior year, and I believe done very well with David Cohn giving him looks. He was the anti-Burchfield. Malinowski looked to move on when he wasn't getting the <fill in the blank> that he thought he deserved. Burch hung around and benefitted. Those senior minutes probably would have gone to Malinowski. Would you rather have had Greg in the game over Connor last season? I don't think I would. Whatever he does at Georgetown is a nice story, but it would be happening playing in the G league or Europe, not here.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - WMTRIBE75 - 01-03-2019 09:00 AM

(01-03-2019 07:53 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  
(01-03-2019 06:52 AM)Pete24 Wrote:  Greg Malinowski, who transferred from W&M to Georgetown last year, scored 26 points in the Hoyas Big East opener against Butler last night. Here's an article about it ...
This was discussed in the transfer thread. I Like Greg's game and am happy for his success. To me it reflects very little on the W&M program. He would have gotten playing time here last season, his true senior year, and I believe done very well with David Cohn giving him looks. He was the anti-Burchfield. Malinowski looked to move on when he wasn't getting the <fill in the blank> that he thought he deserved. Burch hung around and benefitted. Those senior minutes probably would have gone to Malinowski. Would you rather have had Greg in the game over Connor last season? I don't think I would. Whatever he does at Georgetown is a nice story, but it would be happening playing in the G league or Europe, not here.

Thank you!!! Very well said. Perhaps we can now get back to the school that we all love and Greg didn't.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - TribePride91 - 01-03-2019 09:04 AM

Agree, Mr. J! Connor was great for us last year. I think it worked out fine. Who knows what the chemistry of the team would have been with Greg taking some or many of those minutes had he stayed? I generally don't do what ifs. If I did, I'd be spending all my Tribe BB sports time wondering what if about March 2014. I hope Greg has a good year for the Hoyas. Personally, it would be nice for the Tribe to meet the Hoyas in the NCAA tournament. I guess I wish for that. Instead, I am mostly looking forward to the Delaware game tonight. The Blue Hens still look pretty good to me.

RE: Delaware-Drexel Road Trip - LeadBolt - 01-03-2019 10:07 AM

Moved.