CSNbbs
One of the Reasons why I dislike Herbsteit - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: One of the Reasons why I dislike Herbsteit (/thread-867458.html)

Pages: 1 2

One of the Reasons why I dislike Herbsteit - OrangeDude - 01-01-2019 07:41 AM

From a recent tweet, while arguing with fans on twitter about how boring another Alabama/Clemson match-up will be and the fans talking about blaming ESPN it and ratings going down because of fans being tired of the same old, same old - he tweeted the following:

If ESPN had their way for ratings they’d put Ohio St, Michigan, ND, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, and USC in. Those are traditional powers that rate the best. May have missed one or two. Penn St as well.

Ohio State deservedly should be the first program mentioned when composing a list like this but really, only ONE SEC team and not a single ACC team there?!? 01-wingedeagle

To his credit he admits he MAY have missed one or two, but quickly reduces that to one by saying Penn State. The Big Ten homerism is laughable.

Will be interesting to see how the Buckeyes do without Meyer. They are the true strength of the conference. Not sure all of Michigan, PSU, Wisconsin, and Michigan State will be enough if Ohio State takes even a slight step backwards.

SIDENOTE: I do disagree with what the fans were saying very strongly as well but my focus was on this particular Herbstreit response. He did have excellent points in other tweets such as the other programs in the nation should step it up and beat the Tide and the Tigers.

Cheers,
Neil

RE: One of the Reasons why I dislike Herbsteit - XLance - 01-01-2019 10:26 AM

(01-01-2019 07:41 AM)OrangeDude Wrote:  From a recent tweet, while arguing with fans on twitter about how boring another Alabama/Clemson match-up will be and the fans talking about blaming ESPN it and ratings going down because of fans being tired of the same old, same old - he tweeted the following:

If ESPN had their way for ratings they’d put Ohio St, Michigan, ND, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, and USC in. Those are traditional powers that rate the best. May have missed one or two. Penn St as well.

Ohio State deservedly should be the first program mentioned when composing a list like this but really, only ONE SEC team and not a single ACC team there?!? 01-wingedeagle

To his credit he admits he MAY have missed one or two, but quickly reduces that to one by saying Penn State. The Big Ten homerism is laughable.

Will be interesting to see how the Buckeyes do without Meyer. They are the true strength of the conference. Not sure all of Michigan, PSU, Wisconsin, and Michigan State will be enough if Ohio State takes even a slight step backwards.

SIDENOTE: I do disagree with what the fans were saying very strongly as well but my focus was on this particular Herbstreit response. He did have excellent points in other tweets such as the other programs in the nation should step it up and beat the Tide and the Tigers.

Cheers,
Neil

Neil,
This is ESPN's realignment dilemma.
ND has been placed with the ACC to make enhance it's national appeal, and ESPN pimps the best of what is available (Clemson, FSU, VT).
The SEC can take care of their own and have "national" appeal that has been developed through their CBS contract. SEC football is intense, but boring, but they know how to sell the sizzle better than anybody.
The west coast is worse off than the ACC.
Does ESPN keep Texas and Oklahoma together and continue to prop up the Big 12 or use their influence ($) to move Texas to prop up either the PAC or the ACC?
Unfortunately for ESPN, the B1G's big games tend to be the most watched and what they need is a strategy to energize the coasts without damaging their existing relationship with the B1G or disappointing the SEC.

RE: One of the Reasons why I dislike Herbsteit - OrangeDude - 01-01-2019 12:25 PM

(01-01-2019 10:26 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(01-01-2019 07:41 AM)OrangeDude Wrote:  From a recent tweet, while arguing with fans on twitter about how boring another Alabama/Clemson match-up will be and the fans talking about blaming ESPN it and ratings going down because of fans being tired of the same old, same old - he tweeted the following:

Cheers,
Neil

Neil,
ND has been placed with the ACC to make enhance it's national appeal, and ESPN pimps the best of what is available (Clemson, FSU, VT).
The SEC can take care of their own and have "national" appeal that has been developed through their CBS contract. SEC football is intense, but boring, but they know how to sell the sizzle better than anybody.
Does ESPN keep Texas and Oklahoma together and continue to prop up the Big 12 or use their influence ($) to move Texas to prop up either the PAC or the ACC?
Unfortunately for ESPN, the B1G's big games tend to be the most watched and what they need is a strategy to energize the coasts without damaging their existing relationship with the B1G or disappointing the SEC.

That is indeed ESPN's dilemma in terms of the Big Ten vs ACC and/or B12 and future alignment considerations. But I don't see how it relates to my point of Big Ten homerism by ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit when he lists the teams that get the highest ratings he includes 3 Big Ten teams out of 8 but only 1 SEC team and zero ACC teams.

The true monster in the Big Ten is Ohio State since they elevate virtually all of the average Big Ten teams to 5 million viewer plus games. The next level down four (which are still great to good ratings producers) Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Michigan State draw good when they play the Buckeyes and when playing each other. But unlike Ohio State they rarely, IF ever, elevate the next level down Big Ten teams, like Iowa, Nebraska, Northwestern etc.

Over the past 5 years these are the teams Ohio State has played against the average (or worse) Big Ten teams and still received 5 million viewers for the game - 2014 (Minnesota), 2015 (Rutgers), 2017 (Indiana), and 2018 (both Maryland and Purdue).

Again, forgetting about Ohio State for a moment, I would love for the ACC to have a consistent four team ratings drawing group like Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Michigan State but let's not think all 4 are so great they belong on the same level as Ohio State or Alabama. If anything I would take both LSU and Florida over Penn State who Herbstreit added at the last minute. The list should have at least 3 SEC teams and at most 3 Big Ten teams with PSU being #10.

End of rant.

Cheers,
Neil

RE: One of the Reasons why I dislike Herbsteit - Hokie Mark - 01-01-2019 12:56 PM

(01-01-2019 12:25 PM)OrangeDude Wrote:  

Cheers,
Neil

Neil,

That is indeed ESPN's dilemma in terms of the Big Ten vs ACC and/or B12 and future alignment considerations. But I don't see how it relates to my point of Big Ten homerism by ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit when he lists the teams that get the highest ratings he includes 3 Big Ten teams out of 8 but only 1 SEC team and zero ACC teams.

The true monster in the Big Ten is Ohio State since they elevate virtually all of the average Big Ten teams to 5 million viewer plus games. The next level down four (which are still great to good ratings producers) Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Michigan State draw good when they play the Buckeyes and when playing each other. But unlike Ohio State they rarely, IF ever, elevate the next level down Big Ten teams, like Iowa, Nebraska, Northwestern etc.

Over the past 5 years these are the teams Ohio State has played against the average (or worse) Big Ten teams and still received 5 million viewers for the game - 2014 (Minnesota), 2015 (Rutgers), 2017 (Indiana), and 2018 (both Maryland and Purdue).

Again, forgetting about Ohio State for a moment, I would love for the ACC to have a consistent four team ratings drawing group like Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Michigan State but let's not think all 4 are so great they belong on the same level as Ohio State or Alabama. If anything I would take both LSU and Florida over Penn State who Herbstreit added at the last minute. The list should have at least 3 SEC teams and at most 3 Big Ten teams with PSU being #10.

End of rant.

Cheers,
Neil

Florida State should be in Herbstreit's list. Clemson belongs in that second group, and Miami has fallen from the first to the second group over the last 16 years or so. Beyond that, maybe Louisville and Virginia Tech?

RE: One of the Reasons why I dislike Herbsteit - OrangeDude - 01-01-2019 03:49 PM

(01-01-2019 12:56 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

Cheers,
Neil

Neil,

End of rant.

Cheers,
Neil

Florida State should be in Herbstreit's list. Clemson belongs in that second group, and Miami has fallen from the first to the second group over the last 16 years or so. Beyond that, maybe Louisville and Virginia Tech?

I am working on two overall P5 lists that will look at viewership of all regular season games aired on ABC, CBS, FOX, ESPN, ESPN2 and games on ESPNU or FS1 that received at minimum 500K viewers. The first list will be without bowl games while the second will include bowl games. Just waiting for the season to end. It will only cover 2013-2018 because that is the data that is out there.

I suspect both FSU and Clemson will be in the Top 10 of the second list but unsure if either one of them will be Top 10 on the first list. Keep in mind that both ACC teams are hurt by not have a consistently good to great third and fourth ratings driver. OOC games will help them more than conference games as a result. On the other hand, the same might be applied to OU and Texas as well. Will be interesting to find out.

Cheers,
Neil

RE: One of the Reasons why I dislike Herbsteit - XLance - 01-01-2019 03:54 PM

Cheers,
Neil

Neil,

End of rant.

Cheers,
Neil

I didn't mean to move away from Herbstreit's arrogance which I think ESPN tolerates/promotes just to keep B1G fans engaged.

RE: One of the Reasons why I dislike Herbsteit - CliftonAve - 01-01-2019 03:57 PM

The crazy thing is that batshyte crazy Ohio State fans ran him out of Columbus for not being more homerish for OSU and the B10. He lives in Nashville now.

RE: One of the Reasons why I dislike Herbsteit - OrangeDude - 01-01-2019 04:05 PM

(01-01-2019 03:54 PM)XLance Wrote:  

Cheers,
Neil

Neil,

End of rant.

Cheers,
Neil

I didn't mean to move away from Herbstreit's arrogance which I think ESPN tolerates/promotes just to keep B1G fans engaged.

Hey, threads go sideways for a lot of reasons and I am guilty of doing that as well. I did agree with your overall viewpoint though, but my disdain for Herbstreit probably made my reply post to you snarkier than I intended. Understand that snark was aimed at him, not you. We good.

04-cheers
Neil

RE: One of the Reasons why I dislike Herbsteit - XLance - 01-01-2019 04:07 PM

(01-01-2019 04:05 PM)OrangeDude Wrote:  
(01-01-2019 03:54 PM)XLance Wrote:  

Cheers,
Neil

Neil,

End of rant.

Cheers,
Neil

Hey, threads go sideways for a lot of reasons and I am guilty of doing that as well. I did agree with your overall viewpoint though, but my disdain for Herbstreit probably made my reply post to you snarkier than I intended. Understand that snark was aimed at him, not you. We good.

04-cheers
Neil

03-thumbsup

RE: One of the Reasons why I dislike Herbsteit - Statefan - 01-01-2019 04:48 PM

(01-01-2019 03:57 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  The crazy thing is that batshyte crazy Ohio State fans ran him out of Columbus for not being more homerish for OSU and the B10. He lives in Nashville now.

I thought it was a police officer who ran him out after he found out about Kirk and his wife. 05-nono

RE: One of the Reasons why I dislike Herbsteit - CliftonAve - 01-01-2019 05:19 PM

(01-01-2019 04:48 PM)Statefan Wrote:  
(01-01-2019 03:57 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  The crazy thing is that batshyte crazy Ohio State fans ran him out of Columbus for not being more homerish for OSU and the B10. He lives in Nashville now.

I thought it was a police officer who ran him out after he found out about Kirk and his wife. 05-nono

Well that happened too, but having lived in Columbus at the time OSU fans were already on the attack long before that came public.

RE: One of the Reasons why I dislike Herbsteit - MSTiger02 - 01-03-2019 10:33 AM

I don't always like what Herbie says either but I think you're missing the point. He isn't promoting a conference he's telling you that if they promoted a conference it would be about who brings the eyeballs. The National brands who also have gargantuan alumni bases. I have no problem with what he said. Those schools bring the most eyeballs. He's stating their neutrality not the other way around.

RE: One of the Reasons why I dislike Herbsteit - nole - 01-03-2019 10:50 AM

(01-03-2019 10:33 AM)MSTiger02 Wrote:  I don't always like what Herbie says either but I think you're missing the point. He isn't promoting a conference he's telling you that if they promoted a conference it would be about who brings the eyeballs. The National brands who also have gargantuan alumni bases. I have no problem with what he said. Those schools bring the most eyeballs. He's stating their neutrality not the other way around.

There isnt' great info on this, but in stat after stat after stat I can find. It shows FSU belongs in the group below if not flat out better than most of them in TV ratings over the last 20-30 years.

Frankly, OK and Penn State aren't close to FSU. Neither is USC.

This is just ANOTHER example that ESPN is no champion of the ACC. They don't care about the ACC and will go out of their way to minimize the ACC. When will the ACC learn?

Ohio St
Michigan
ND
Texas
Oklahoma
Alabama
USC.
Penn St

Some random statistics:

A total live audience* of 12,604,000 watched No. 1 Alabama vs. No. 3 Florida State on ABC on Sept. 2, the first time in the sport's history that a No. 1 preseason team opened against an opponent ranked in the Top 3. The viewership set a new record across all networks as the most-watched college football kickoff weekend matchup ever.

https://247sports.com/college/west-virginia/Board/105475/Contents/2017-Football-TV-Ratings-109146541/

BIG 12
16.497 - Oklahoma (5)
13.494 - Texas (5)

ACC
20.909 - Florida State (5)
19.200 - Clemson (7)

BIG TEN
25.412 - Michigan (5)
20.733 - Ohio State (5)
14.123 - Penn State (4)

PAC 12
16.071 - Southern Cal (5)

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-footballs-most-watched-regular-season-games-in-25-years-120768069/#120768069_1

Using statistical figures from Nielsen ratings and Sports Media Watch among several others, here's a glance at the 10 most-watched games in the regular season over the past 25 years:

NO. 1 FLORIDA ST. AT NO. 2 NOTRE DAME, 1993 (22 MILLION)

5 most watched College Football regular season games since 1991:

1. 1993 #1 Florida St at #2 Notre Dame 22 Million
2. 2006 #2 Michigan at #1 Ohio State 21M
3. 2011 #1 LSU at #2 Alabama 20M
4. 2009 #2 Alabama vs #1 Florida 18M
5. 2016 #3 Michigan at #2 Ohio St 16.8M

https://csnbbs.com/thread-848654-page-2.html

As for Orange Bowl vs Sugar Bowl in non-Semi-Final CFP years here is the relatively small data set so far:

2014-15 Orange - Georgia Tech/Mississippi State - 8.94M viewers
2016-17 Orange - Florida State/Michigan - 11.461M viewers
2017-18 Orange - Miami/Wisconsin - 11.727M viewers

2015-16 Sugar - Ole Miss/Oklahoma State - 8.940M viewers
2016-17 Sugar - Auburn/Oklahoma - 9.515M viewers

10 Most watched cable telecasts ever
FSU at #4 and #9

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2017/09/oklahoma-ohio-state-8-2-million-viewers-watched-game-week-2-across-networks-espns-networks-air-four-five-watched-games/

Rank Network Matchup TV Viewers Date
1 ABC Florida State vs. Alabama 12,343,000 Sat, Sept. 2
2 ABC Oklahoma at Ohio State 8,086,000 Sat, Sept. 9
3 ABC Michigan at Florida 7,655,000 Sat, Sept. 2
4 ESPN Tennessee vs. Georgia Tech 5,141,000 Mon, Sept. 4
5 ESPN Ohio State at Indiana 5,135,000 Thur, Aug. 31
6 ABC West Virginia vs. Virginia Tech 4,647,000 Sun, Sept. 3
7 NBC Georgia at Notre Dame 4,089,000 Sat, Sept. 9
8 ABC Pittsburgh at Penn State 3,702,000 Sat, Sept. 9
9 ABC Cincinnati at Michigan 3,614,000 Sat, Sept. 9

RE: One of the Reasons why I dislike Herbsteit - OrangeDude - 01-03-2019 11:14 AM

(01-03-2019 10:33 AM)MSTiger02 Wrote:  I don't always like what Herbie says either but I think you're missing the point. He isn't promoting a conference he's telling you that if they promoted a conference it would be about who brings the eyeballs. The National brands who also have gargantuan alumni bases. I have no problem with what he said. Those schools bring the most eyeballs. He's stating their neutrality not the other way around.

Are they amongst the schools that bring the most eyeballs? Sure. But so are LSU, UGA, Fla, FSU, etc. It isn't hard to name them, but he had a hard time naming 7 and then admitted he might have "missed 1 or 2" and then mentions PSU to get his list at 8. Do I believe he was making a comprehensive list? No. But when he instinctively winds up giving us a list of 8 that includes 3 Big Ten teams, 2 Big 12 teams, ND, only 1 SEC team (a HUGE headscratcher), and the second head scratcher Southern Cal over any other top SEC team or even FSU. Are the Trojans top 12-15? Very likely, but not Top 8. If you want to believe it isn't a conference bias I am okay with that. But there is some reason why only a single SEC team was mentioned and no mention of FSU, while 5 of the 8 either are in the Big Ten or have a long history with that conference.

To me, while it may not be intentional bias, its at best ingrained subtle bias that he may not even be aware of.

Cheers,
Neil

RE: One of the Reasons why I dislike Herbsteit - Hokie Mark - 01-03-2019 11:27 AM

(01-03-2019 11:14 AM)OrangeDude Wrote:  

Are they amongst the schools that bring the most eyeballs? Sure. But so are LSU, UGA, Fla, FSU, etc. It isn't hard to name them, but he had a hard time naming 7 and then admitted he might have "missed 1 or 2" and then mentions PSU to get his list at 8. Do I believe he was making a comprehensive list? No. But when he instinctively winds up giving us a list of 8 that includes 3 Big Ten teams, 2 Big 12 teams, ND, only 1 SEC team (a HUGE headscratcher), and the second head scratcher Southern Cal over any other top SEC team or even FSU. Are the Trojans top 12-15? Very likely, but not Top 8. If you want to believe it isn't a conference bias I am okay with that. But there is some reason why only a single SEC team was mentioned and no mention of FSU, while 5 of the 8 either are in the Big Ten or have a long history with that conference.

To me, while it may not be intentional bias, its at best ingrained subtle bias that he may not even be aware of.

Cheers,
Neil

Agreed. Herbie's basic point - that ESPN wants the highest TV ratings, regardless of conference - is true, but he also displayed a clear "pro-Big Ten" bias. This should not be surprising considering where he personally played football...

RE: One of the Reasons why I dislike Herbsteit - MSTiger02 - 01-03-2019 11:30 AM

(01-03-2019 10:50 AM)nole Wrote:  

There isnt' great info on this, but in stat after stat after stat I can find. It shows FSU belongs in the group below if not flat out better than most of them in TV ratings over the last 20-30 years.

This is just ANOTHER example that ESPN is no champion of the ACC. They don't care about the ACC and will go out of their way to minimize the ACC. When will the ACC learn?

Ohio St
Michigan
ND
Texas
Oklahoma
Alabama
USC.
Penn St

Some random statistics:

A total live audience* of 12,604,000 watched No. 1 Alabama vs. No. 3 Florida State on ABC on Sept. 2, the first time in the sport's history that a No. 1 preseason team opened against an opponent ranked in the Top 3. The viewership set a new record across all networks as the most-watched college football kickoff weekend matchup ever.

https://247sports.com/college/west-virginia/Board/105475/Contents/2017-Football-TV-Ratings-109146541/

BIG 12
16.497 - Oklahoma (5)
13.494 - Texas (5)

ACC
19.200 - Clemson (7)

BIG TEN
25.412 - Michigan (5)
20.733 - Ohio State (5)
14.123 - Penn State (4)

PAC 12

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-footballs-most-watched-regular-season-games-in-25-years-120768069/#120768069_1

Using statistical figures from Nielsen ratings and Sports Media Watch among several others, here's a glance at the 10 most-watched games in the regular season over the past 25 years:

As for Orange Bowl vs Sugar Bowl in non-Semi-Final CFP years here is the relatively small data set so far:

FSU at #4 and #9

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2017/09/oklahoma-ohio-state-8-2-million-viewers-watched-game-week-2-across-networks-espns-networks-air-four-five-watched-games/

Of course, FSU is a draw. But I think you are going out on a limb to be offended on this one when the context clearly indicates he wasn't trying to make a comprehensive list. Heck, the school he's dissing by exclusion is Clemson and I'm not offended. He includes Alabama versus a bunch of teams named "Not Clemson" and his sons are going to Clemson next year. https://247sports.com/college/clemson/Article/Clemson-Tigers-Kirk-Herbstreit-sons-walk-on-126967723/

And trust me. Nobody is taking it easy on him when he says dumb stuff like "UGA should still be in the playoff". Just browse Tigernet for 3 seconds.

RE: One of the Reasons why I dislike Herbsteit - Statefan - 01-03-2019 11:35 AM

Graduated eyeballs matter:

Number of living alums:

1. Penn State 675K
2. Indiana 650K
3. Michigan 575K
4. MSU 550K
5. UCLA 500K
6. Ohio State 500K
7. Cal 500K
8. Rutgers 486K
9. Texas 480K
10 Purdue 480K
11 NYU 480K
12 TAMU 435K
13 Wisky 435K
14 Illinois 425K
15 Florida 415K

Now, when you compare that to an ACC school - FSU has 370K or half of Penn State. Carolina has 302K or half of Indiana or Michigan. NC State only has 220K. BC has just 180K and Duke has less at 160K. Northwester has a 140K living alums. Wake Forest has just 75K living alums. This is the source of the eyeball bias.

RE: One of the Reasons why I dislike Herbsteit - MSTiger02 - 01-03-2019 11:37 AM

(01-03-2019 11:14 AM)OrangeDude Wrote:  

Cheers,
Neil

I would probably say that in the context you already have an SEC team that's a draw and SEC versus BIG TEN is the historically the money maker. It's not just the teams but the matchup. Is he a former big ten QB who grew up in big ten countries? Sure, but I don't take it as a diss like overt homerism.

RE: One of the Reasons why I dislike Herbsteit - nole - 01-03-2019 11:40 AM

(01-03-2019 11:35 AM)Statefan Wrote:  Graduated eyeballs matter:

Number of living alums:

1. Penn State 675K
2. Indiana 650K
3. Michigan 575K
4. MSU 550K
5. UCLA 500K
6. Ohio State 500K
7. Cal 500K
8. Rutgers 486K
9. Texas 480K
10 Purdue 480K
11 NYU 480K
12 TAMU 435K
13 Wisky 435K
14 Illinois 425K
15 Florida 415K

Now, when you compare that to an ACC school - FSU has 370K or half of Penn State. Carolina has 302K or half of Indiana or Michigan. NC State only has 220K. BC has just 180K and Duke has less at 160K. Northwester has a 140K living alums. Wake Forest has just 75K living alums. This is the source of the eyeball bias.

Not a TV rating list. Again, look at TV ratings numbers. PSU is not that high up. Multiple of those on your list are horrible TV rating draws

RE: One of the Reasons why I dislike Herbsteit - nole - 01-03-2019 11:42 AM

(01-03-2019 11:30 AM)MSTiger02 Wrote:  
(01-03-2019 10:50 AM)nole Wrote:  

Ohio St
Michigan
ND
Texas
Oklahoma
Alabama
USC.
Penn St

Some random statistics:

BIG 12
16.497 - Oklahoma (5)
13.494 - Texas (5)

ACC
19.200 - Clemson (7)

BIG TEN
25.412 - Michigan (5)
20.733 - Ohio State (5)
14.123 - Penn State (4)

PAC 12

FSU at #4 and #9

Of course, FSU is a draw. But I think you are going out on a limb to be offended on this one when the context clearly indicates he wasn't trying to make a comprehensive list. Heck, the school he's dissing by exclusion is Clemson and I'm not offended. He includes Alabama versus a bunch of teams named "Not Clemson" and his sons are going to Clemson next year. https://247sports.com/college/clemson/Article/Clemson-Tigers-Kirk-Herbstreit-sons-walk-on-126967723/

And trust me. Nobody is taking it easy on him when he says dumb stuff like "UGA should still be in the playoff". Just browse Tigernet for 3 seconds.

Not offended. Making two cases based on facts:

1) His list is factually incorrect

2) ESPN regularly, and historically shorts the ACC. I am not offended by it, it is a fact I wish the ACC would consider when it partners with networks. Being the lowest paid conference with a network that treats the ACC as 2nd rate is a bad business decision.