CSNbbs
Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Targets for next Head MBB Coach (/thread-867451.html)

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - NJDuke97 - 03-09-2020 10:30 PM

how much does our peer North Dakota State pay their men's basketball coach? They are on the verge of making the tournament again.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - NJDuke97 - 03-09-2020 10:31 PM

Wasn't there a rumor that Lefty's connection to JMU was that his grandkids were students at JMU at the time that he was hired? If so does anyone know if Jim Calhoun's grand kids are college aged?

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - KickItToScotty - 03-10-2020 05:20 AM

(03-09-2020 09:57 PM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  
(03-09-2020 08:40 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  It’s really frustrating though to see the combination of some fans of other schools who really see the potential and don’t get why we can’t get it right and some fans who see JMU as a lateral move at best from schools like Radford.

It's a lateral move at best if your gauge is base salary. A quick google shows Matt Brady earned 321K in his last year at JMU. Brady was probably the highest paid coach in JMU history, right? I understand it's 2020 and to be competitive with market rates then we need to up our salary package. The fact is that most successful mid-major coaches aren't moving up by coming to JMU.

Yeah salary wise we don’t know but it may be and the past suggests it will be. It’s pretty nuts to think JMU basketball doesn’t have a higher ceiling than the programs whose coaches’ names are coming up though.

As for Lefty’s pay, the only thing I could find was that his initial five year deal paid him $75,000 a year from JMU and Maryland paid him the difference of what he would’ve been making at Maryland so another $75,000. I couldn’t find any details on his extension and obviously I don’t know what that’d come out to adjusting for inflation, but as far as straight up highest paid JMU basketball coach ever I highly doubt it’s Lefty and not Brady.

Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Rock House Duke - 03-10-2020 06:05 AM

(03-09-2020 10:30 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  how much does our peer North Dakota State pay their men's basketball coach? They are on the verge of making the tournament again.

“Dave Richman, the coach of North Dakota State, last year’s Summit League representative in the NCAA tournament, earns a base salary of $195,000.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.argusleader.com/amp/82434582

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMU_Newbill - 03-10-2020 06:52 AM

I don't think we have any chance at getting Seth Greenberg to leave his cushy ESPN gig to coach us. That being said, even if we did have a chance, I don't understand why everyone seems to think it would be this huge hire. The guy was a D1 head coach from 1990-2012. He made the NCAA tournament three times. Two of those were with Long Beach State in the early 90s. In those 20+ years of coaching, he won his conference outright twice. He won the conference tournament twice. He never did both in the same year.

Also, I know I've harped on this before, but he passed on ******* Steph Curry with his dad as an NBA alum sitting there essentially begging him to give him a chance.

He has a recognizable name and experience which you are going to have a pay a premium for. Wouldn't you rather pay a premium on a true up and comer that hasn't been out of coaching for 8 years? What has he done to prove to you that he can coach in the current NCAA?

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMURocks - 03-10-2020 06:58 AM

(03-10-2020 06:52 AM)JMU_Newbill Wrote:  I don't think we have any chance at getting Seth Greenberg to leave his cushy ESPN gig to coach us. That being said, even if we did have a chance, I don't understand why everyone seems to think it would be this huge hire. The guy was a D1 head coach from 1990-2012. He made the NCAA tournament three times. Two of those were with Long Beach State in the early 90s. In those 20+ years of coaching, he won his conference outright twice. He won the conference tournament twice. He never did both in the same year.

Also, I know I've harped on this before, but he passed on ******* Steph Curry with his dad as an NBA alum sitting there essentially begging him to give him a chance.

He has a recognizable name and experience which you are going to have a pay a premium for. Wouldn't you rather pay a premium on a true up and comer that hasn't been out of coaching for 8 years? What has he done to prove to you that he can coach in the current NCAA?

My thoughts also. I think many people get star struck by the idea of an ESPN personality. It would bring some media attention, but i'm not convinced it would bring high level success on the court.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - KickItToScotty - 03-10-2020 07:05 AM

Yeah totally agree... I don't care so much about missing on recognizing the potential of one specific player(although obviously it was a huge miss), but he just hasn't been successful aside from his six years at Long Beach State and even that isn't anything to blow you away. Whether or not he's possible is all about whether he's happy with his ESPN job or if he wants to get back to coaching. If he wants to get back, I think JMU absolutely could land him and the reason is because he doesn't have a good track record and isn't going to have the offers that a JTIII, Shaka Smart, Thad Matta is going to have. He and Andy Kennedy are guys that would probably be within reach if they want to coach again, but that we shouldn't be interested in.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Halz87 - 03-10-2020 07:22 AM

Seth gets bonus points on his coaching ability because of his big personality. I'd rather not have him.

I wonder how many fans griped about Brad Stevens when he took over at Butler. We don't have the resources for a quality "splash" hire, so I'm hoping they give me someone who I may have to Google after the announcement. It's more important to me that I think it's a great hire 2-4 years down the road than I do here in 2020.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Longhorn - 03-10-2020 07:36 AM

Here’s a basic outline for what I think might be the highest or “best” (realistic?) salary JMU could bring to the table for an experienced D1 HC:

$450k - Base Salary
$450k - Possible incentives (No double count on the $25k for making the NCAAT as CAA Champs or as an at-large)

$25k - 3000 attendance incentive
$25k - 4000 attendance incentive
$25k - 5000 attendance incentive
$25k - 6000 attendance incentive
$25k - 7000 attendance incentive
$25k - 8000 attendance incentive
$25k - 20 regular season wins
$25k - Top 2-3 league finish incentive
$25k - Regular Season Champion incentive
$25k - CAAT Champions
$25k - NCAAT incentive (as at-large)
$25k - NCAAT win (each)
$25k - Sweet 16 Bonus
$25k - Elite 8 Bonus
$50k - Final Four
$75k - National Championship

I see only about 5-6 of the above incentives as obtainable on a regular basis (attendance, wins, placing in the CAA top 3 for regular season play), so JMU would be looking to lay out $150k most years for incentives + $450k base = $600k annual salary. The HC wins a NC they’re looking at a million dollar payday.

Of course there would also be the typical perks like a car allowance, CC club membership, and maybe JMU marketing could get on local TV with a 30 minute “Coaches Corner” show. TV is a bit old fashioned and the Monday morning webcast has replaced the need for TV, but I’m just spit-balling here. Locals, or even the DC cable market might pickup a TV show.

There needs to be modest retention bumps to the base salary added each year up to the end of year 3, when an automatic 1 year is added to the contract. A new contract would be negotiated starting in year 4, effective at the end of year 5. Buyouts would also follow something like Russell Turner’s current contract spell out.

Okay...take your best shots at this fantasy salary outline. I believe this framework is sensitive to the going market rates for established and successful mid-major MBB HCs, and it is not out of JMU’s ability to afford it. Indeed, most of the incentives (especially incentives tied to attendance) are self-funding, and making the NCAAT brings a boatload of money into the equation. The question remains (as it has always been) how serious are the JMU decision makers in getting this hire right.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Deez Nuts - 03-10-2020 07:40 AM

(03-10-2020 07:36 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  Okay...take your best shots at this fantasy salary outline. I believe this framework is sensitive to the going market rates for established and successful mid-major MBB HCs, and it is not out of JMU’s ability to afford it.

I love it; exactly what I'd like to see.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - KickItToScotty - 03-10-2020 07:48 AM

Seems very solid while hopefully being very realistic.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Bawlmer Duke - 03-10-2020 08:09 AM

(03-10-2020 06:52 AM)JMU_Newbill Wrote:  I don't think we have any chance at getting Seth Greenberg to leave his cushy ESPN gig to coach us. That being said, even if we did have a chance, I don't understand why everyone seems to think it would be this huge hire. The guy was a D1 head coach from 1990-2012. He made the NCAA tournament three times. Two of those were with Long Beach State in the early 90s. In those 20+ years of coaching, he won his conference outright twice. He won the conference tournament twice. He never did both in the same year.

All great points that I made earlier yesterday. I like the way you think.04-cheers

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - PurpleRain - 03-10-2020 08:42 AM

I was watching the ETSU Wofford game and I noticed Seth Greenberg was doing the halftime report show, and what did I see?!?!

Seth Greenberg wearing a purple dress shirt with a purple paisley tie and a purple pocket square.

Coincidence? I think not

https://kslsports.com/430184/

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMU08 - 03-10-2020 08:51 AM

I think what you're putting out is mostly realistic Longhorn. 450k base is on the higher side, but I think it's possible to do. Attendance does not equal cash since student don't pay. What I've seen in other contracts is something like "N% gameday profits over X dollars", which is generally safer since it ties it to actual cash flow and is after any gameday cost gets factored in.

Since so many care about scheduling on here, I think I've also seen bonuses on getting P5 home games, so that may be something to consider. Also would personally put in something for NIT.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Dukes84 - 03-10-2020 08:55 AM

(03-10-2020 08:42 AM)PurpleRain Wrote:  I was watching the ETSU Wofford game and I noticed Seth Greenberg was doing the halftime report show, and what did I see?!?!

Seth Greenberg wearing a purple dress shirt with a purple paisley tie and a purple pocket square.

Coincidence? I think not

Isn't LaPhonso Ellis also wearing a purple tie? I can't maximize the screen, but that's what it looked like. Purple ties are currently in style. I say coincidence.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Purplehazed - 03-10-2020 08:57 AM

(03-10-2020 07:40 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 07:36 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  Okay...take your best shots at this fantasy salary outline. I believe this framework is sensitive to the going market rates for established and successful mid-major MBB HCs, and it is not out of JMU’s ability to afford it.

I love it; exactly what I'd like to see.

A reasonable base with incentives makes big sense and makes the most people happy

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMURocks - 03-10-2020 09:04 AM

(03-10-2020 08:51 AM)JMU08 Wrote:  I think what you're putting out is mostly realistic Longhorn. 450k base is on the higher side, but I think it's possible to do. Attendance does not equal cash since student don't pay. What I've seen in other contracts is something like "N% gameday profits over X dollars", which is generally safer since it ties it to actual cash flow and is after any gameday cost gets factored in.

Since so many care about scheduling on here, I think I've also seen bonuses on getting P5 home games, so that may be something to consider. Also would personally put in something for NIT.

My concern with the “20 wins” bonus is it might incentivize the coach to push for a weaker schedule, so it would be nice to see some component that rewards playing and beating higher RPI teams in some fashion.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - jmu98 - 03-10-2020 09:26 AM

(03-10-2020 08:55 AM)Dukes84 Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 08:42 AM)PurpleRain Wrote:  I was watching the ETSU Wofford game and I noticed Seth Greenberg was doing the halftime report show, and what did I see?!?!

Coincidence? I think not

Isn't LaPhonso Ellis also wearing a purple tie? I can't maximize the screen, but that's what it looked like. Purple ties are currently in style. I say coincidence.

His tie looks blue to me. I would say based on what we have heard that it was intentional.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Dukester - 03-10-2020 09:40 AM

(03-09-2020 07:26 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  
(03-09-2020 05:31 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  I don’t think we should be comparing FCS football coach salaries to basketball coach salaries. The ceiling is so much higher in basketball.
Even with JMU reaching the pinnacle of FCS it has a $5 million deficit annually in football.
Strong mid major basketball programs can and do make a profit.

Plus, March Madness success is way more impactful nationally than FCS football success.

Another thing to think about is using the basketball hire to elevate the FCS football program to FBS in a few years. The investment is not just for the basketball program, it is for the entire athletic program. JMU needs a better resume to move up.

I agree with you, but given the immediate past history (did you read the absurd incentives detailed in Rowe’s contract?), it would be a major victory if JMU offered the same level of compensation paid to FB’s HC to the next MBB HC. But I agree the salary ceiling for MBB should be higher than FCS FB, much higher. Indeed, it was at JMU once upon a time.

For those arguing JMU can’t (much less won’t) offer a salary package approaching $1 mil for a MBB HC my response is JMU can, and must. I’m ready to be underwhelmed by the next hire, but I’m an optimist by nature and remain hopeful that CK and company has learned his lesson.

Man LH, isn't this a change in your stance? I recall years back you were one of the posters that were against paying a higher wages for coaches. I think you were more in the we can't afford to camp?

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - jmufan2008 - 03-10-2020 10:02 AM

(03-10-2020 09:04 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  
(03-10-2020 08:51 AM)JMU08 Wrote:  I think what you're putting out is mostly realistic Longhorn. 450k base is on the higher side, but I think it's possible to do. Attendance does not equal cash since student don't pay. What I've seen in other contracts is something like "N% gameday profits over X dollars", which is generally safer since it ties it to actual cash flow and is after any gameday cost gets factored in.

My concern with the “20 wins” bonus is it might incentivize the coach to push for a weaker schedule, so it would be nice to see some component that rewards playing and beating higher RPI teams in some fashion.

Agreed. I think that the wins incentive either needs to include a SOS (or maybe number of P5 games since RPI can be hard to gauge in advance) or make the wins incentive smaller and have a separate RPI incentive.