CSNbbs
Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Targets for next Head MBB Coach (/thread-867451.html)

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Rock House Duke - 02-25-2020 11:29 PM

(02-25-2020 09:21 PM)JacksonHall Wrote:  This entire thread is premature. We still have a coach under contract for next year.

For what is is worth, the people who I talked to who are well connected with the athletic department seem to suggest to me the decision to move on from LR has already been decided. Even a magical four game run through the CAAT cannot save his job now. I suspect the reason why JB has not gone ahead and fired LR and get a jump start on the coaching search is because he is well respected within the athletic department and a fellow alumnus and Endeared former player.

I think it is plenty reasonable to speculate who the next coach will be next season in the inaugural year of the AUBC.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Dukester - 02-26-2020 06:48 AM

(02-25-2020 10:19 PM)JacksonHall Wrote:  I guarantee more people have put thought into this on here than Bourne did last time or has done so far this time. He has the luxury of paying a consultant to do his job for him.

Same luxury he utilized to find Lou Rowe.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Centdukesfan - 02-26-2020 07:56 AM

Not that excited about Odom as a candidate. He caught lightning in a bottle a few years back but hasnt produced consistent contenders in the America East

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Dukester - 02-26-2020 09:01 AM

Anyone think that Lou has already been notified and the process has already started?

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Rock House Duke - 02-26-2020 09:28 AM

(02-26-2020 09:01 AM)Dukester Wrote:  Anyone think that Lou has already been notified and the process has already started?

My gut tells me yes. If JB and CK have reached the decision to move on from LR then I bet they have already informed him about his fate so they can begin to put out feelers to other coaches without doing it behind LR’s back.

JB and CK attend a lot of Men’s BB games. They saw with their eyes all the empty seats in the convo this season. I am sure they are self aware enough to realize they need to fill up the new arena with a new hire and better product.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Dukester - 02-26-2020 09:52 AM

(02-26-2020 09:28 AM)Rock House Duke Wrote:  
(02-26-2020 09:01 AM)Dukester Wrote:  Anyone think that Lou has already been notified and the process has already started?

My gut tells me yes. If JB and CK have reached the decision to move on from LR then I bet they have already informed him about his fate so they can begin to put out feelers to other coaches without doing it behind LR’s back.

JB and CK attend a lot of Men’s BB games. They saw with their eyes all the empty seats in the convo this season. I am sure they are self aware enough to realize they need to fill up the new arena with a new hire and better product.

Funny, the season holder that sat next to me in the Dillard days use to say the same thing. "If the results don't kill Dillard, the empty seats will". Fast forward 15-20 years...... We'd kill today for the what we perceived as bad attendance 15-20 years ago.

No shows has always been an issue at JMU, even during the Lefty era, but no where near what they are now.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - ShadyP - 02-26-2020 10:15 AM

(02-25-2020 03:58 PM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  
(02-25-2020 03:55 PM)UofRfan Wrote:  
Quote: Forbes has been mentioned before. I believe his salary would be about what we can pay, so it would be a pretty lateral move for him.

That is the most positive spin on the JMU job I can possibly imagine. Why outside of bringing out the brinks truck (laughable to consider) would a guy like that who has had ETSU at a top 100 kenpom program for 4 straight years and Top 60 twice torpedo their career with a move to JMU? Also conference wise the Southern is ranked 15th this year and CAA is 18th. Last year the Southern was 13th and the CAA was 22nd.

Guys like Wes Miller are Forbes are going to get additional money and choose a proper path that gives them the best success moving forward in their next coaching choice. That might not be the ACC but its going to be somewhere that doesn't look like a dead end job where no one has gotten out alive in the last 30 years. The arena helps but the roster and program history has to override that at this point. Unless you are giving 7 year deals close to 7 figures, which we all know is not happening.

this. people need to be real about where JMU stands in the landscape, as well as what we're prepared to pay (500K range).

Agree 100%. I think JMU's upper limit will be $700k. As long as JMU pays among the top 3 salaries in the CAA and a competitive mid-major salary I think that is reasonable.
I have now come to the conclusion unless JMU spends over $1mil on a coach folks are gonna gripe and will probably still gripe unless JMU can bring in Coach K or Tom Izzo.

And then you have folks on here that repeatedly want to spew idiotic statements like, 'And they should probably be forward with their community requirements this time and make sure the candidate is will to join the Lions, Moose, Kiwanis, Optimist, and Rotary clubs.'

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMURocks - 02-26-2020 10:19 AM

(02-26-2020 09:52 AM)Dukester Wrote:  

Funny, the season holder that sat next to me in the Dillard days use to say the same thing. "If the results don't kill Dillard, the empty seats will". Fast forward 15-20 years...... We'd kill today for the what we perceived as bad attendance 15-20 years ago.

No shows has always been an issue at JMU, even during the Lefty era, but no where near what they are now.

An "average" game during the lefty era was 4500-5500 attendance for conference games, even in very bad seasons at the end of the year. For "big" games like GMU, RU, VCU, Purdue it was 6500-7500 people. 7500 is probably considered full fire code capacity at the convo.

What was our top attendance this year? My guess is we didn't hit 3000, maybe not even 2,500.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - ShadyP - 02-26-2020 10:22 AM

(02-25-2020 11:29 PM)Rock House Duke Wrote:  
(02-25-2020 09:21 PM)JacksonHall Wrote:  This entire thread is premature. We still have a coach under contract for next year.

For what is is worth, the people who I talked to who are well connected with the athletic department seem to suggest to me the decision to move on from LR has already been decided. Even a magical four game run through the CAAT cannot save his job now. I suspect the reason why JB has not gone ahead and fired LR and get a jump start on the coaching search is because he is well respected within the athletic department and a fellow alumnus and Endeared former player.

I think it is plenty reasonable to speculate who the next coach will be next season in the inaugural year of the AUBC.

That is the same scuttle-butt I heard from some folks pretty well connected as well. The decision has been made on LR, and I think LR is well aware of that by listening to his last post game and the way he looked around the convo after the W&M game knowing that was his last home game at JMU.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - ShadyP - 02-26-2020 10:23 AM

Yup

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - jmufan2008 - 02-26-2020 10:23 AM

(02-26-2020 09:52 AM)Dukester Wrote:  

The biggest danger being that the 75% no-shows of the 2k fans that have season tickets just won't renew next year. When it's 25% no-shows, you can tell people just can't make it to every game, but most likely they'll renew next year. When we're averaging 500 butts in seats, that's a lot of people that just straight up aren't coming and probably won't come back without a massive shift.

36 Virginia
51 Richmond
80 VCU
100 VT
130 Radford
135 W&M
151 Mason
206 ODU
286 Hampton
297 Longwood
303 Norfolk St
304 JMU
309 VMI

Can't really get much worse...

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMad03 - 02-26-2020 10:46 AM

(02-26-2020 10:23 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  

Yup

I disagree. I think they've told him what was expected of him this year. A more likely scenario is that he didn't need to be told he was going to be fired and that he can put 2 and 2 together. He obviously hasn't gotten it done.
There's another reason I don't think he's been told. If he were to pull off the impossible (yes... impossible) and won the CAA tournament they will not fire him. Not really a good look if the admin was telling him the process had begun and then he won the tournament. Does the admin just pretend they didn't tell him? Even if the admin was 99% sure we wouldn't win that 1% could happen. (By the way if that were to happen it would be the worst case scenario for the future of JMU MBB. This team isn't going to get any better with Rowe next season and it would just be prolonging the inevitable. But that isn't happening so time to move on.)
It won't be a surprise to Rowe when the season is over. I hope the admin is at least building a plan for the next step. Hire an outside group to get us the best candidate we can. This hire will define the future of MBB and if they screw it up there may be no recovering from it.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Dukeman2 - 02-26-2020 11:01 AM

We would be in a better position today if Rowe had resigned 6 weeks ago.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - jmudukes - 02-26-2020 11:06 AM

(02-26-2020 10:46 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  

Yup

I disagree. I think they've told him what was expected of him this year. A more likely scenario is that he didn't need to be told he was going to be fired and that he can put 2 and 2 together. He obviously hasn't gotten it done.
There's another reason I don't think he's been told. If he were to pull off the impossible (yes... impossible) and won the CAA tournament they will not fire him. Not really a good look if the admin was telling him the process had begun and then he won the tournament. Does the admin just pretend they didn't tell him? Even if the admin was 99% sure we wouldn't win that 1% could happen. (By the way if that were to happen it would be the worst case scenario for the future of JMU MBB. This team isn't going to get any better with Rowe next season and it would just be prolonging the inevitable. But that isn't happening so time to move on.)
It won't be a surprise to Rowe when the season is over. I hope the admin is at least building a plan for the next step. Hire an outside group to get us the best candidate we can. This hire will define the future of MBB and if they screw it up there may be no recovering from it.

Evidently he has been told because on madizone Saturday, the announcer said with a new coach and a new arena next year ............

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Dukester - 02-26-2020 11:16 AM

(02-26-2020 11:01 AM)Dukeman2 Wrote:  We would be in a better position today if Rowe had resigned 6 weeks ago.

I don't think so.

Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Halz87 - 02-26-2020 11:20 AM

(02-26-2020 11:06 AM)jmudukes Wrote:  

Yup

Evidently he has been told because on madizone Saturday, the announcer said with a new coach and a new arena next year ............

I thought I heard that as well . It also sounded like that’s what Lou was saying if you read between the lines with his radio interview. Very gracious but sounded like the program was changing next year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMU85 - 02-26-2020 11:22 AM

(02-26-2020 11:06 AM)jmudukes Wrote:  

Yup

That was an uncomfortable moment. The Student sideline reporter made the statement "with a new arena and potential new coaching staff next year". I think Curt didn't know what to say when the broadcast went back to him.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - KickItToScotty - 02-26-2020 11:30 AM

Whether he’s been told or not, he knows and he’s known for a while.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JacksonHall - 02-26-2020 11:59 AM

I heard that it may not be 100%. That he's got the opportunity to pull off a miracle in DC.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Bill - 02-26-2020 12:29 PM

(02-25-2020 11:29 PM)Rock House Duke Wrote:  For what is is worth, the people who I talked to who are well connected with the athletic department seem to suggest to me the decision to move on from LR has already been decided.

My best connection to the sports department indicated the same to me when I caught up with that person at the last home game.