CSNbbs
Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Targets for next Head MBB Coach (/thread-867451.html)

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Middle-aged-Duke - 02-22-2020 08:51 PM

I say, stick with Lou. Winning at JMU should be as much about fun than ANTHING else.
Right now the pressure to make a successful change is off the charts and a goshdarn crapshoot.
It does not have to be so goshdarn complicated. Make JMU a FUN place to be!
Lou knows how to play basketball...he was great at it! Implore him to go out and recruit kids to come to beautiful JM to enjoy what we all know can be a great college experience. Sell FUN and it will work! Lou can.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - olddawg - 02-22-2020 09:16 PM

(02-22-2020 07:10 PM)Dukeman2 Wrote:  Jeff Bourne – Madison Magazine, 2019

“Many fans and media look at wins and losses. Often, coaches are evaluated upon results on the field. This does a disservice to the importance of the individual as a human being. Everyone has a place and a purpose. Everyone brings value……”

“We win because of our culture, the structure of support, and the quality of people; not because of superior athletic ability or strategy.”

That quote is, by in large, a bunch of crapola by Jeff Bourne. People on this board may not like Dukeman the messenger, but he's correct on this quote. This loser philosophy is killing our basketball program.

This is yet another reason why ( in a basket full of reasons) JB should NOT be involved in our search for a new coach.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JacksonHall - 02-22-2020 10:19 PM

(02-22-2020 07:59 PM)Bill Wrote:  
(02-22-2020 07:27 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  And there is NW Missouri State still sitting at #1 in D2 polls. 25-1 overall. In the drivers seat to win a 3rd national title in the last 4 seasons.

And, did you know NWMS played at Cameron Indoor back in late October as Duke's preseason exhibition game? Further, did you know Duke only won by 6?

Here's YouTube highlights of that game... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yo4wIunXek&pbjreload=10

Ben McCollum bio... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_McCollum (age 38)

Counting this season, his teams over the last 4 seasons are...

...125-6. 04-jawdrop

Can't believe he is still at D2 with his successes.

Bourne is too passive. He'll sit at his desk staring at his email inbox waiting for applications from candidates with proven success that will never come.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Deez Nuts - 02-23-2020 09:09 AM

don't act like we're not going to use a consulting firm to hire the next basketball coach. Book it, take it to the bank, and jarofpennies.jpg

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - jmu007 - 02-23-2020 10:29 AM

So when will this actually go down? When is the normal time frame for hiring of basketball coaches? Before tournament ends, after?

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - HyperDuke - 02-23-2020 10:31 AM

final 4

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Wear Purple - 02-23-2020 10:32 AM

(02-23-2020 10:29 AM)jmu007 Wrote:  So when will this actually go down? When is the normal time frame for hiring of basketball coaches? Before tournament ends, after?

I just want the first axe to fall on March 8 or soon there after. After that, I expect it will take much, if not all, of the remainder of March and perhaps after the Final 4 in early April. The Final 4 is the coaches convention and where a lot of wheeling and dealing goes on. If we are in on a highly successful D2 head coach, such as McCollum at NW Mizzou State, just as an example, his season won't end until very late March and perhaps early April. Worth the wait though (IMO).

This assumes there is no candidate like an Andy Kennedy (currently not coaching and doing work for SEC Network) ready to go. And, I'm doubting that is the case, FWIW.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - KickItToScotty - 02-23-2020 10:42 AM

(02-23-2020 10:29 AM)jmu007 Wrote:  So when will this actually go down? When is the normal time frame for hiring of basketball coaches? Before tournament ends, after?

Looks like Rowe was hired on April 1, Brady on March 25, Keener April 1, Dillard March 20 just going by the date of the earliest stories I can find on the hires when I googled them. I'd imagine it's more likely to go quickly if the next guy isn't on the staff of someone who's still playing but I guess that isn't 100% going to be the case since it looks like Keener was a done deal before GT played in the Final Four. Gotta think that isn't going to happen if it's a head coach though, and for those interested in McCollum or other D2 head coaches it looks like their national championship game is on March 28. D3 on March 21.

Overall though, looks like we shouldn't expect a hire until at least about a month from now. I'm very curious to see if names of targets get reported and what those names are if they do, even if they end up uninterested.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JacksonHall - 02-23-2020 10:42 AM

(02-23-2020 09:09 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  don't act like we're not going to use a consulting firm to hire the next basketball coach. Book it, take it to the bank, and jarofpennies.jpg

Worked out well last time.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - jmu007 - 02-23-2020 10:49 AM

Gracias, now I know when to start the lookout.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - 2Buck - 02-23-2020 11:49 AM

(02-23-2020 09:09 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  don't act like we're not going to use a consulting firm to hire the next basketball coach. Book it, take it to the bank, and jarofpennies.jpg

Hear that? Y'all can relax, we're using the same consulting firm as last time.

[Image: gpya7.jpg]

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Purplehazed - 02-23-2020 11:52 AM

(02-23-2020 10:42 AM)JacksonHall Wrote:  

Maybe our national search engine is craigslist with area set to Harrisonburg, VA searching for "engaged baketball coach seeking forever home"

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Dukester - 02-23-2020 12:03 PM

Is there a Coaching Transfer portal?

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - 2Buck - 02-23-2020 12:03 PM

(02-23-2020 11:52 AM)Purplehazed Wrote:  
(02-23-2020 10:42 AM)JacksonHall Wrote:  

Maybe our national search engine is craigslist with area set to Harrisonburg, VA searching for "engaged baketball coach seeking forever home"

I really wish it was that extensive, but I fear it's limited to guys within shouting distance of Bourne's back deck.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - olddawg - 02-23-2020 12:20 PM

(02-23-2020 10:42 AM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  

Looks like Rowe was hired on April 1, Brady on March 25, Keener April 1, Dillard March 20 just going by the date of the earliest stories I can find on the hires when I googled them. I'd imagine it's more likely to go quickly if the next guy isn't on the staff of someone who's still playing but I guess that isn't 100% going to be the case since it looks like Keener was a done deal before GT played in the Final Four. Gotta think that isn't going to happen if it's a head coach though, and for those interested in McCollum or other D2 head coaches it looks like their national championship game is on March 28. D3 on March 21.

Overall though, looks like we shouldn't expect a hire until at least about a month from now. I'm very curious to see if names of targets get reported and what those names are if they do, even if they end up uninterested.

Anyone else find the humor and irony that both Keener & Rowe were hired on April Fools Day?

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Wear Purple - 02-23-2020 12:53 PM

(02-23-2020 12:03 PM)Dukester Wrote:  Is there a Coaching Transfer portal?

Yes. It's named after JMU. JMU MBB...where coaches careers go to die.

03-thumbsup

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - nyduke - 02-23-2020 01:42 PM

dukester,

Hoop dirt.com has a coaching changes tab that keeps up with changes at d1 2 and 3 levels

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Dukester - 02-24-2020 10:08 AM

Keener resigned on February 22, 2008, the day before his final regular season game.

Not sure JMU will do it this time until after we are outed from the CAA Tournament.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JacksonHall - 02-24-2020 10:09 AM

There's a significant chance this team doesn't win another game this season. Suppose we limp into the CAA tournament with 2 conference wins and only 8 total Division I wins. If Rowe trips off 4 wins in a row to go to the Big Dance, Bourne would feel obligated to keep him wouldn't he?

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - ShadyP - 02-24-2020 10:45 AM

(02-24-2020 10:09 AM)JacksonHall Wrote:  There's a significant chance this team doesn't win another game this season. Suppose we limp into the CAA tournament with 2 conference wins and only 8 total Division I wins. If Rowe trips off 4 wins in a row to go to the Big Dance, Bourne would feel obligated to keep him wouldn't he?

Nope, not a chance. You can tell from listening to Rowe that he knows he is gone.