CSNbbs
Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Targets for next Head MBB Coach (/thread-867451.html)

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - olddawg - 02-22-2020 11:20 AM

(02-22-2020 09:10 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  Driesell: Fired 3/6/98. AD Lemish/Carrier: "When all elements of the basketball program are considered, it is obvious that the goals that were anticipated when Mr. Driesell first was hired in 1988 never have been reached.'' https://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-xpm-19970306-1997-03-06-9703060017-story.html

Love this quote from the article on Lefty's firing:
''An immediate change in leadership is essential to ensure future success for JMU basketball players, both on and off the court.''

Might have missed the boat on the "on court" part for the last 2 decades.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JacksonHall - 02-22-2020 12:29 PM

(02-22-2020 10:43 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  
(02-22-2020 10:29 AM)JacksonHall Wrote:  That's why I've believed that a successful Division II or III coach would be the best fit. Someone who wants a Division I job.

A big AMEN to that. That's why I mentioned McCollum several weeks ago in this thread. A guy who has won 2 of the last 3 national titles at the D2 level and in contention at the top again this year. A guy who has over a decade as a head coach. A guy who is in his 30's. A guy who is likely making less than $150K and could at least double his salary at JMU. A guy who will be coaching some D1 program in the NCAAT in a few years and we'll be looking back wondering why we didn't hire him possibly (likely?).

He'd be a great hire. But Bourne can't passively sit back and wait for resumes to hit his inbox. He's going to have to actively recruit a coach. Nobody worth hiring is going to seek this job.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Longhorn - 02-22-2020 12:38 PM

(02-22-2020 09:10 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  JMU MBB coaches over the years...

Campanelli: 1972-1985; hired to University of California, Berkeley.

Thurston: 85-88; hired to Wingate University.

Driesell: Fired 3/6/98. AD Lemish/Carrier: "When all elements of the basketball program are considered, it is obvious that the goals that were anticipated when Mr. Driesell first was hired in 1988 never have been reached.'' https://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-xpm-19970306-1997-03-06-9703060017-story.html

Dillard: "Resigned" 3/8/04 (would have surely been fired). Bourne: said in a release that the basketball team's performance "is NOT where it needs to be."

Keener: "Resigned" 2/22/08 (would have surely been fired). Bourne: "We all regret that our program hasn't reached the level of success envisioned by everyone involved"

Brady: Fired 3/14/16 (after his 4th 20+ win season). Bourne: "We are grateful to Matt Brady and his staff for their commitment to our program over the last eight years. He helped us to recover from a long period of drought for JMU men's basketball and had multiple accomplishments. That said, when I met with Matt, we agreed that it was time for both parties to move in a different direction. We hold our coaches to high standards of success both on and off the court. Success is ultimately judged by postseason performance, and we have not advanced past the CAA quarterfinals in seven of eight years. Despite winning records on the court, home attendance has declined."

Rowe: the writing is on the wall.

Why would anybody want this job? We've fired the last 3 decades of coaches but people out there actually think we have a shot at landing high profile names.

Money talks. That and a new arena, COA, and a great academic university to recruit to in a league that’s wide-open for domination ala JMU’s WBB, FB and other scholarship programs. MBB at JMU can excel with the right HC.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JacksonHall - 02-22-2020 12:50 PM

(02-22-2020 12:38 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  

Driesell: Fired 3/6/98. AD Lemish/Carrier: "When all elements of the basketball program are considered, it is obvious that the goals that were anticipated when Mr. Driesell first was hired in 1988 never have been reached.'' https://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-xpm-19970306-1997-03-06-9703060017-story.html

Dillard: "Resigned" 3/8/04 (would have surely been fired). Bourne: said in a release that the basketball team's performance "is NOT where it needs to be."

Keener: "Resigned" 2/22/08 (would have surely been fired). Bourne: "We all regret that our program hasn't reached the level of success envisioned by everyone involved"

Brady: Fired 3/14/16 (after his 4th 20+ win season). Bourne: "We are grateful to Matt Brady and his staff for their commitment to our program over the last eight years. He helped us to recover from a long period of drought for JMU men's basketball and had multiple accomplishments. That said, when I met with Matt, we agreed that it was time for both parties to move in a different direction. We hold our coaches to high standards of success both on and off the court. Success is ultimately judged by postseason performance, and we have not advanced past the CAA quarterfinals in seven of eight years. Despite winning records on the court, home attendance has declined."

Why would anybody want this job? We've fired the last 3 decades of coaches but people out there actually think we have a shot at landing high profile names.

Money talks. That and a new arena, COA, and a great academic university to recruit to in a league that’s wide-open for domination ala JMU’s WBB, FB and other scholarship programs. MBB at JMU can excel with the right HC.

But they haven't used money to talk. They've gone on the cheap. And nobody I know of would look at a track record of firing winning coaches followed by really bad hires and think money is going to make up for having a bumbling idiot as a boss getting on the way. This is not an attractive job. More like career suicide.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Purplehazed - 02-22-2020 01:05 PM

What are you guys going to say when weeks after the season ends no action on Rowe?

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - olddawg - 02-22-2020 01:24 PM

(02-22-2020 01:05 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  What are you guys going to say when weeks after the season ends no action on Rowe?

He has to be canned-1st business day after our exit from the Keener Round on Mar. 7. Otherwise, it's pitchforks and torches time.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - 2Buck - 02-22-2020 01:25 PM

Reading some of this scares the sh!t out of me. Bourne should not be spending his time finding our next coach. He should be spending his time finding the guy that's going to find our next coach.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Bill - 02-22-2020 01:26 PM

(02-22-2020 01:05 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  What are you guys going to say when weeks after the season ends no action on Rowe?

If Rowe has *any* respect for JMU, he would have his resignation letter signed and sealed when the CAAT starts and will hand it right after JMU gets trounced and bounced. If he waits for JMU to fire him so he can pick up his remaining salary, it would be unforgivable after what he's done to the program.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Hart Foundation - 02-22-2020 01:32 PM

(02-22-2020 01:25 PM)2Buck Wrote:  Reading some of this scares the sh!t out of me. Bourne should not be spending his time finding our next coach. He should be spending his time finding the guy that's going to find our next coach.

This is 100% correct.
Bourne is not a basketball guy and is not well connected in the NCAA basketball community.
Some people have been offended when I’ve brought this up during past hires, but it is true.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Wear Purple - 02-22-2020 01:37 PM

(02-22-2020 11:00 AM)nyduke Wrote:  Imo you have to at least interview rob jones from norfalk state if hes interested

This is his 7th year at NSU. No conference titles. No appearances in the NCAAT. Decent-to-good finishes in the MEAC regular season. 1 regular season title (last year) that ended with a NIT appearance thanks to it. Lost in 2nd round of the NIT. 9-2 and sitting atop the MEAC currently this season.

I would say we can do a lot worse (something apparently we are very good at doing), but I think we can do a lot better too. I guess I'm lukewarm on him. I'd rather have a highly successful D2 head coach that has won national titles and his expectation of himself isn't just getting close but winning big.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Purplehazed - 02-22-2020 02:14 PM

(02-22-2020 01:24 PM)olddawg Wrote:  

He has to be canned-1st business day after our exit from the Keener Round on Mar. 7. Otherwise, it's pitchforks and torches time.

I agree with you but I don't think it happens quickly. It will drag on and on like every other coach for decades because jmu is not prepared even with a $100m building getting keys cut.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Wear Purple - 02-22-2020 02:19 PM

The Dukes will open the Keener-Rowe Invitational 2 weeks from today up in DC. Assuming a one-and-done loss, we are now 15 days (hopefully) to the end of this nightmare.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Longhorn - 02-22-2020 02:58 PM

(02-22-2020 12:50 PM)JacksonHall Wrote:  

But they haven't used money to talk. They've gone on the cheap. And nobody I know of would look at a track record of firing winning coaches followed by really bad hires and think money is going to make up for having a bumbling idiot as a boss getting on the way. This is not an attractive job. More like career suicide.

Yes, you’re correct that they haven’t used money to talk. I was replying to Deez comment why would a good coach want the job at JMU. Money talks. That’s one reason (and the most important reason) a good coach would consider taking on the JMU MBB fiasco. JMU can’t go cheap and expect to turn this around.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - NJDuke97 - 02-22-2020 06:58 PM

Because coaches are high achievers with confidence and faith in their ability to be the guy to turn it around, because it’s a good school with new facilities in a decent conference.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Dukeman2 - 02-22-2020 07:10 PM

Jeff Bourne – Madison Magazine, 2019

“Many fans and media look at wins and losses. Often, coaches are evaluated upon results on the field. This does a disservice to the importance of the individual as a human being. Everyone has a place and a purpose. Everyone brings value……”

“We win because of our culture, the structure of support, and the quality of people; not because of superior athletic ability or strategy.”

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Wear Purple - 02-22-2020 07:27 PM

And there is NW Missouri State still sitting at #1 in D2 polls. 25-1 overall. In the drivers seat to win a 3rd national title in the last 4 seasons.

And, did you know NWMS played at Cameron Indoor back in late October as Duke's preseason exhibition game? Further, did you know Duke only won by 6?

Here's YouTube highlights of that game... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yo4wIunXek&pbjreload=10

Ben McCollum bio... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_McCollum (age 38)

Counting this season, his teams over the last 4 seasons are...

...125-6. 04-jawdrop

Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Centdukesfan - 02-22-2020 07:35 PM

I'm in

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Bill - 02-22-2020 07:59 PM

(02-22-2020 07:27 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  And there is NW Missouri State still sitting at #1 in D2 polls. 25-1 overall. In the drivers seat to win a 3rd national title in the last 4 seasons.

And, did you know NWMS played at Cameron Indoor back in late October as Duke's preseason exhibition game? Further, did you know Duke only won by 6?

Here's YouTube highlights of that game... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yo4wIunXek&pbjreload=10

Ben McCollum bio... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_McCollum (age 38)

Counting this season, his teams over the last 4 seasons are...

...125-6. 04-jawdrop

Can't believe he is still at D2 with his successes.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Rock House Duke - 02-22-2020 08:03 PM

WP, I am 100% on the Ben McCollum band wagon with you all the way to Hburg. He is a proven winner and will see the job as a pay raise and advancement in his young coaching career.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Middle-aged-Duke - 02-22-2020 08:36 PM

(02-22-2020 08:03 PM)Rock House Duke Wrote:  WP, I am 100% on the Ben McCollum band wagon with you all the way to Hburg. He is a proven winner and will see the job as a pay raise and advancement in his young coaching career.