CSNbbs
Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Targets for next Head MBB Coach (/thread-867451.html)

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Wear Purple - 02-12-2020 11:27 AM

Countdown...

25 days to March 8th...

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - ShadyP - 02-12-2020 11:28 AM

(02-12-2020 11:24 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  
(02-12-2020 10:59 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  
(02-11-2020 06:57 PM)DukedoG06 Wrote:  Seth Greenberg?

That would be awesome.....he is a really good coach. But he seems to really like his gig at ESPN. But you don't ever know until to reach out to get his pulse on the idea.

In 9 years at VT he made one 2nd round NCAA appearance and a bunch of early NIT exits. 16-17 and 4-12 his last year there, 0.580 overall.

Better than average perhaps, but doesn’t blow me away.

A .580 winning percentage at VT, playing an ACC schedule (I know his ACC % is not .580).....I would take that if he wanted to give it a try. and lets be honest got screwed as a bubble team more than once.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - MamaDuke - 02-12-2020 11:46 AM

What about Coach Oppenheimer? He is certainly more charismatic as a speaker than our current head coach and the players seem to respond to him?

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - ShadyP - 02-12-2020 12:05 PM

(02-12-2020 11:46 AM)MamaDuke Wrote:  What about Coach Oppenheimer? He is certainly more charismatic as a speaker than our current head coach and the players seem to respond to him?

No thank you.......no holdovers from the current staff.....I think it needs to be a clean break.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - jmudukes001 - 02-12-2020 12:05 PM

I have been following Wake Forest and their message board a bit because of the Wes Miller connection to them. I actually want Wake to do well so they keep Manning and don’t make a change. The Get Rid of Danny Manning thread is about 80 pages, and the comments are funny in that they are very similar to ours in that everyone wants a change.

Wake beat UNC last night and has been playing a little better, but their fans are just like ours and really want a better coach. Manning has a huge buyout of like 18 million so their situation is different, but I think they will make a change at the end of the season.

It seems to me that Wes is on their Group B list after names like Shaka and Thad Matta. They really want Shaka, and it sounds like he will be gone from Texas. GA Tech fans want him too.

If Wake goes for a more established coach than Wes, I really hope we push all in to try to get Wes to come here for 500k or more— currently making 300k roughly. I think he has done about all he can at UNCG.

Everyone seems to think Wes will end up in the ACC someday, but as I have said, I hope he will have some years here before that.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - RamDawg - 02-12-2020 12:13 PM

(02-11-2020 01:19 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  Anybody who actually thinks Rowe will be retained after this year has had a lobotomy. The only reason anyone would say that is because they are jaded or trying to stir the pot.

Not stirring the pot and I do hear "voices" sometimes but I'm not 100% convinced or have faith that our Admin will pull the trigger. They have too many excuses to keep him one more year including "We already endured years of sucking, what's one more year and it will save $XX of a buy out?"

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - jmudukes001 - 02-12-2020 12:24 PM

We will definitely get some better candidates this time IF the admin makes it known that they are making an effort to fix things and are willing to pay more— at least 450-500k. Hopefully more.

The new stadium and a CAA ripe for the taking (no one in the top 100 this season) and 450-500k will get a lot of head coaches making 300k or so interested— at least in my opinion.

Almost tired of saying and reading the same stuff over and over, but this is a great time for the admin to make a statement and put forth some effort to rebuild the program!! It should have been done after last season, but not looking back anymore. Looking ahead to a better coach and program.

So tired of listening to 100% college basketball on sports radio, and never hearing JMU mentioned like we don’t even have a team while 7 or 8 other state schools are constantly talked about.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - RamDawg - 02-12-2020 12:31 PM

(02-12-2020 11:12 AM)AllForDukes Wrote:  I want somebody that will MANAGE our basketball program. Scheduling, promotion, setting a culture of discipline, recruiting et. al. We don't need a head coach that only wants to coach. He must be a program manager with a vision for success. He must earn player's respect first and foremost. That is why many assistants don't fare well as a head coach. It's not just about basketball techniques and plays, it's about the team seeing his vision, embracing the vision, learning his system (our assistants turned head coach hires have not had a style/system) and the fans seeing his excitement and coming to games. These things coupled with basketball knowledge are what we need.

This is how mid-major programs build success. Coaching is the easy part, everything else is where coaches earn their money. Some of the best coaches don't spend all their time running practices, they are leading and delegate to their staff and managing the business. I get a sense Coach Cig's strong suit is managing his people he's the CEO.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Bawlmer Duke - 02-12-2020 12:39 PM

(02-12-2020 09:46 AM)olddawg Wrote:  
(02-12-2020 08:31 AM)Bawlmer Duke Wrote:  Board consensus is no UVA assistants? Or no because so many people think JMU will lure a proven winning coach to the CAA... Or some old HC retread that is out of basketball for a reason...

https://virginiasports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/jason-williford/2664

Native of Richmond. Played HS ball in Richmond. Played at UVA. Coached HS ball in Richmond for a year or two. UVA staff for 11 years.

Quick internet search his 2015-16 salary per State of VA was $225,000

Btw UVA beat Notre Dame last night 50-49...in OT...by winning the OT 3-2.

Not exactly on the fast track is he? 19 years as an assistant is a looooong apprenticeship. I'd have thought he'd at least moved to a low level head gig by now.

Yeh, like JMU

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - jmudukes001 - 02-12-2020 12:41 PM

(02-12-2020 12:13 PM)RamDawg Wrote:  
(02-11-2020 01:19 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  Anybody who actually thinks Rowe will be retained after this year has had a lobotomy. The only reason anyone would say that is because they are jaded or trying to stir the pot.

Not stirring the pot and I do hear "voices" sometimes but I'm not 100% convinced or have faith that our Admin will pull the trigger. They have too many excuses to keep him one more year including "We already endured years of sucking, what's one more year and it will save $XX of a buy out?"

That would be the worst statement imaginable, and I don’t think anyone would argue that if they do nothing, that means that the men’s basketball program basically means nothing to them. There are no excuses.

If anything, they have saved money over the last 4 years only paying $260k a year instead of $400-500k. They have extra money to spend now. They have basically thrown away this season and a talented roster.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JacksonHall - 02-12-2020 12:53 PM

(02-12-2020 11:46 AM)MamaDuke Wrote:  What about Coach Oppenheimer? He is certainly more charismatic as a speaker than our current head coach and the players seem to respond to him?

I hope you're kidding. "Shot Doctor" has actually presided over worse shooting. Down in field goal percentage overall, 3 point percentage and also free throws. Goodbye to him too.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMad03 - 02-12-2020 01:00 PM

(02-12-2020 12:53 PM)JacksonHall Wrote:  

I hope you're kidding. "Shot Doctor" has actually presided over worse shooting. Down in field goal percentage overall, 3 point percentage and also free throws. Goodbye to him too.

I thought he would be a big upgrade to this staff. The question is how much influence is he really having? Regardless, this is our worst team in years and I don't want a part of any assistant associated.
Guilt by association right now is the safest bet and taking a chance on Oppenheimer right now would be a dumb move. He could be the real deal, but there's nothing showing that he's actually made this team any better than the previous 3 offenses with Rowe.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - RamDawg - 02-12-2020 01:11 PM

(02-12-2020 12:24 PM)jmudukes001 Wrote:  We will definitely get some better candidates this time IF the admin makes it known that they are making an effort to fix things and are willing to pay more— at least 450-500k. Hopefully more.

The new stadium and a CAA ripe for the taking (no one in the top 100 this season) and 450-500k will get a lot of head coaches making 300k or so interested— at least in my opinion.

Almost tired of saying and reading the same stuff over and over, but this is a great time for the admin to make a statement and put forth some effort to rebuild the program!! It should have been done after last season, but not looking back anymore. Looking ahead to a better coach and program.

So tired of listening to 100% college basketball on sports radio, and never hearing JMU mentioned like we don’t even have a team while 7 or 8 other state schools are constantly talked about.

This may not be popular but....generally I get the feeling that many JMU supporters/alum/fans are spoiled, myself included. Except for MBB, we have great athletics programs and facilities. Most of us don't spend a lot and still have access to great value entertainment. If "we the people" want a good hire, we need to step up and fund our desires. We accuse our AD of thinking small but maybe us supporters aren't much different.

What is wrong with the AD sending a letter to 5000 donors saying "we're hiring a new coach and it's going to cost $1M. We ask every donor to increase their donation by $20.00 per month" Doing so will help fun our coach and also help to reduce student fee's. Enclosed is a commitment card we ask you to complete and return. We'll follow up with a phone call in the near future"

In addition to the marketing mailings and emails, I get this "We could use money for" type of call from an AD staff member at least once every year from VCU. I'm not a big donor but still get invited for meet and greet type stuff. I'm small time donor to JMU but I've never received a call asking to increase my support.

I believe many of us will "step up for the cause" but I believe it will take some effort on JMU's part.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Wear Purple - 02-12-2020 01:41 PM

(02-12-2020 01:11 PM)RamDawg Wrote:  
(02-12-2020 12:24 PM)jmudukes001 Wrote:  We will definitely get some better candidates this time IF the admin makes it known that they are making an effort to fix things and are willing to pay more— at least 450-500k. Hopefully more.

This may not be popular but....generally I get the feeling that many JMU supporters/alum/fans are spoiled, myself included. Except for MBB, we have great athletics programs and facilities. Most of us don't spend a lot and still have access to great value entertainment. If "we the people" want a good hire, we need to step up and fund our desires. We accuse our AD of thinking small but maybe us supporters aren't much different.

What is wrong with the AD sending a letter to 5000 donors saying "we're hiring a new coach and it's going to cost $1M. We ask every donor to increase their donation by $20.00 per month" Doing so will help fun our coach and also help to reduce student fee's. Enclosed is a commitment card we ask you to complete and return. We'll follow up with a phone call in the near future"

In addition to the marketing mailings and emails, I get this "We could use money for" type of call from an AD staff member at least once every year from VCU. I'm not a big donor but still get invited for meet and greet type stuff. I'm small time donor to JMU but I've never received a call asking to increase my support.

I believe many of us will "step up for the cause" but I believe it will take some effort on JMU's part.

I hear what you are saying RamDawg and agree some. While money doesn't grow on trees (maybe it grows on student fees, but that's a dead horse for another time), a differing perspective is that it shouldn't and doesn't require a massive or even moderate money-raising campaign. That is, all the key decision makers need to do is look at the empty seats inside the Convo, dwindling attendance, etc., to see where all that money can and should come from in terms of ticket sales.

It will be an absolute shame to have a shiny new home and within a year or two it is still attended with less than 1,500 people. JMU - like so many others - lists "attendance" as truthfully "tickets accounted for" to which some are students. I can assure you, there have been games this season where there were NOT 1,200 people in the Convo, maybe less than 1,000.

Again, I agree with your sentiment. It is a chicken-or-the-egg thing. Does the winning come first to pay for the better HC or does the money raising come first? You'd think the latter has to come first. However, the opportunity cost of continuing to suck by low-balling is definitely there to pay for a better HC. Does the Admin have the jewels to stick their necks out to get it done? And even then, will they make the right hire? We'll see. The first step of a more modern less-dungeon"ish" arena is a fantastic start. Now, the next crucial step arrives in less than a month (hopefully).

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMU08 - 02-12-2020 02:03 PM

(02-12-2020 01:00 PM)JMad03 Wrote:  

I thought he would be a big upgrade to this staff. The question is how much influence is he really having? Regardless, this is our worst team in years and I don't want a part of any assistant associated.
Guilt by association right now is the safest bet and taking a chance on Oppenheimer right now would be a dumb move. He could be the real deal, but there's nothing showing that he's actually made this team any better than the previous 3 offenses with Rowe.

I was really high on him given his experience and proven track record. For whatever reason, it's been rough so far. I agree he can't take over next season as is. It's almost a shame they didn't just pull the trigger and remove Rowe while making Oppenheimer the interim head coach just to see what would happen. It's not like it would've been any worse.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - MamaDuke - 02-12-2020 02:40 PM

I was about 30% serious -when he is in chalktalk during hospitality he is inspiring to listen to. He certainly 'sounds' like he knows what he is talking about! I have wondered just how much he has been able to do with the kids though. It wouldn't be the first time that Lou had an experienced assistant that he chose to not listen to.

I could see our admin thinking it would work....

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMad03 - 02-12-2020 03:25 PM

(02-12-2020 02:40 PM)MamaDuke Wrote:  

I was about 30% serious -when he is in chalktalk during hospitality he is inspiring to listen to. He certainly 'sounds' like he knows what he is talking about! I have wondered just how much he has been able to do with the kids though. It wouldn't be the first time that Lou had an experienced assistant that he chose to not listen to.

I could see our admin going this route, but I just don't see how they can do it. They need to separate themselves from the Rowe era and every era prior to this one. They constantly seem to go after either alums or assistants we know how well that has worked.
If they truly want Oppenheimer then they need to let Rowe go and give him an audition. If the team improves in that short time it would show that perhaps he can turn this around.
He could truly be a great coach, but all that donors and fans will see is just another uninspired hire of a guy that wasn't able to do anything the year he was here.
They need to cut all ties to Rowe and his staff and start completely fresh.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Dukester - 02-12-2020 05:02 PM

(02-12-2020 03:25 PM)JMad03 Wrote:  
(02-12-2020 02:40 PM)MamaDuke Wrote:  

I could see our admin going this route, but I just don't see how they can do it. They need to separate themselves from the Rowe era and every era prior to this one. They constantly seem to go after either alums or assistants we know how well that has worked.
If they truly want Oppenheimer then they need to let Rowe go and give him an audition. If the team improves in that short time it would show that perhaps he can turn this around.
He could truly be a great coach, but all that donors and fans will see is just another uninspired hire of a guy that wasn't able to do anything the year he was here.
They need to cut all ties to Rowe and his staff and start completely fresh.

Interestingly I believe bringing in top assistants in football can lead to a lot of success.

Bringing in talented assistants in basketball has not had the same success for JMU back to when Sherm was had coach. In basketball the coaching needs to come from the head coach. Assistants are vital in recruiting.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMUrcc06 - 02-12-2020 06:20 PM

(02-12-2020 01:41 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  

I hear what you are saying RamDawg and agree some. While money doesn't grow on trees (maybe it grows on student fees, but that's a dead horse for another time), a differing perspective is that it shouldn't and doesn't require a massive or even moderate money-raising campaign. That is, all the key decision makers need to do is look at the empty seats inside the Convo, dwindling attendance, etc., to see where all that money can and should come from in terms of ticket sales.

It will be an absolute shame to have a shiny new home and within a year or two it is still attended with less than 1,500 people. JMU - like so many others - lists "attendance" as truthfully "tickets accounted for" to which some are students. I can assure you, there have been games this season where there were NOT 1,200 people in the Convo, maybe less than 1,000.

Again, I agree with your sentiment. It is a chicken-or-the-egg thing. Does the winning come first to pay for the better HC or does the money raising come first? You'd think the latter has to come first. However, the opportunity cost of continuing to suck by low-balling is definitely there to pay for a better HC. Does the Admin have the jewels to stick their necks out to get it done? And even then, will they make the right hire? We'll see. The first step of a more modern less-dungeon"ish" arena is a fantastic start. Now, the next crucial step arrives in less than a month (hopefully).

Not to pile on, RamDawg, but the admin doesn't have a history of getting it right, regardless (or in spite) of budget. I don't know many people that would throw $20/month to this admin given their current track record of MBB hires. Hard to make that pledge, which to me answers the chicken/egg argument. If football called tomorrow and said we need another $20/month for XYZ I'd probably do it.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - 5000DOLLARBILL - 02-12-2020 07:43 PM

(02-12-2020 06:20 PM)JMUrcc06 Wrote:  
(02-12-2020 01:41 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  

Not to pile on, RamDawg, but the admin doesn't have a history of getting it right, regardless (or in spite) of budget. I don't know many people that would throw $20/month to this admin given their current track record of MBB hires. Hard to make that pledge, which to me answers the chicken/egg argument. If football called tomorrow and said we need another $20/month for XYZ I'd probably do it.

I got the solution. Message all donors/alum stating we need $20/month to maintain HCCC, the new assistants and rest of the football coaching staff. Apply the raised funds to football salaries and take the original programmed atheltic funds out of football salaries and move those into mbb for a new splash hire coach.