CSNbbs
Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Targets for next Head MBB Coach (/thread-867451.html)

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Deez Nuts - 02-05-2020 11:51 AM

(02-05-2020 09:58 AM)Dukester Wrote:  If this administration goes into the new arena without a new head coach I will not go to the new arena for even a game next year.

If the administration continues to be that clueless from a financial and winning program standpoint I will continue to be out.

1) The made the worst hire for a JMU flagship program 4 years ago.
2) The best time to fix the situation heading into the new arena was last off season, and they did not make the move.
3) If they now take a sinking ship into the new arena it's the final nail in the coffin for this admin era in regards to Men's Basketball.

When they hired Lou they could of chosen a younger up and coming div II coach, but not at this point. They need pretty close to a sure thing that will bring immediate interest. If by the end of next year the new arena has less than 3,000 fans a game we will have screwed up a major opportunity. And to some extent we've already materially hurt attendance for next year. How much will that new arena cost us a year? Just paying for it with student fees in not the "right" answer.

We top the CAA in attendance for perhaps every sport except men's basketball. That is due to 2 decades without a top 100 team. There is no/zippo reason in the world with a new arena JMU should not have 1,000 more fans a game than the next best CAA attendance.

No more excuses - It's not the crappy convo. It's not because JMU & Harrisionburg will not support a major program.

There are easily more than 3,000 other fans that feel just as I do that will not be seeing much of the new arena next year if a change is not made. And it better be a good one (not an ex player or coach) that will bring back interest in the program. Nobody cares about Men's basketball right now, and apparently Charlie cannot quantify the loss in ticket sales and donations it has cost us the last 20 years.

It's not in our hands, it's in theirs.

It's easy to say "fire HCLR last year" except nobody was kicking in the extra 1.5 million to do that. I support JMU's choice to not fire a guy 60% of the way into his contract for the easy financial point, as well as the ethical side of honoring his contract. The choice to separate is far easier to swallow at the end of this season than last.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Dukester - 02-05-2020 12:04 PM

(02-05-2020 11:51 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  
(02-05-2020 09:58 AM)Dukester Wrote:  If this administration goes into the new arena without a new head coach I will not go to the new arena for even a game next year.

If the administration continues to be that clueless from a financial and winning program standpoint I will continue to be out.

2) The best time to fix the situation heading into the new arena was last off season, and they did not make the move.
3) If they now take a sinking ship into the new arena it's the final nail in the coffin for this admin era in regards to Men's Basketball.

When they hired Lou they could of chosen a younger up and coming div II coach, but not at this point. They need pretty close to a sure thing that will bring immediate interest. If by the end of next year the new arena has less than 3,000 fans a game we will have screwed up a major opportunity. And to some extent we've already materially hurt attendance for next year. How much will that new arena cost us a year? Just paying for it with student fees in not the "right" answer.

We top the CAA in attendance for perhaps every sport except men's basketball. That is due to 2 decades without a top 100 team. There is no/zippo reason in the world with a new arena JMU should not have 1,000 more fans a game than the next best CAA attendance.

No more excuses - It's not the crappy convo. It's not because JMU & Harrisionburg will not support a major program.

There are easily more than 3,000 other fans that feel just as I do that will not be seeing much of the new arena next year if a change is not made. And it better be a good one (not an ex player or coach) that will bring back interest in the program. Nobody cares about Men's basketball right now, and apparently Charlie cannot quantify the loss in ticket sales and donations it has cost us the last 20 years.

It's easy to say "fire HCLR last year" except nobody was kicking in the extra 1.5 million to do that. I support JMU's choice to not fire a guy 60% of the way into his contract for the easy financial point, as well as the ethical side of honoring his contract. The choice to separate is far easier to swallow at the end of this season than last.

I didn't expect a change last year, and I get not making it and the numerous reasons not to do so.

A public school relying on student fees just can't cut someone with two years left on their contract. Additionally it would not of been fair to Lou. That said while I liked the talent of the new recruits this year, I was not one that felt it would overcome lack of coaching. Although I didn't think it would be this bad.....

That said, do I think JMU would of been better off financially & success wise eating the $300k this year to bring in a new coach? Yes, I do - but I understand why it could not be done.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - RamDawg - 02-05-2020 01:43 PM

This is from an article related to Fordham being a basement dweller in the A10 for 20+ years.

https://www.blackburnreview.com/2020/02/04/thats-enough-fordham/

In quite possibly the most loose interpretation of the word “competing” my eyes have ever seen, when does the talk of moving conferences become less “ridiculous”? I tried to find Fordham fan sites, they were all inactive. Fordham used to have a simplistic fan forum online as well, when you go there today, it’s shut down by the moderator. The fans are gone. The ones who stuck around this long deserve better. They deserve competitive basketball again, which they’re being robbed of out of pride, maybe ignorance, or possibly both. I started by saying this wasn’t a hit piece, and whether you give a rat’s ass about Fordham sucking or not, all fans/alumni deserve a competitive program…at least every once in a while.

I don't want to see a coach hired from a losing program but Jeff Neubauer could be a great coach somewhere with the right support and resources. Being in the Bronx, that program will struggle with just about any new coach.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Wear Purple - 02-05-2020 01:45 PM

(02-05-2020 01:43 PM)RamDawg Wrote:  I don't want to see a coach hired from a losing program but Jeff Neubauer could be a great coach somewhere with the right support and resources. Being in the Bronx, that program will struggle with just about any new coach.

He can't be any good. Lou Rowe beat him on his home floor earlier this year. That by default means he sucks!

(j/k...well, sort of)

04-cheers

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - jmufan2008 - 02-05-2020 02:39 PM

The financial argument is moot. Yeah, it's a risk, but bringing in a new coach that gets the players to play up to their potential could have easily paid for himself in ticket and concession sales. Our attendance and ticket sales are literally at an all time low, at least as far back as I could find, since we've been a D1 program. Even back in Godwin our attendance was better than it is this year. 1,000 extra fans, plus concessions, plus increased donations for fans who wouldn't donate to get better football seats/parking, but would pay for basketball, would have paid Rowe's salary each year. It's not like he makes a ton of money. Having even mediocre interest by fans would have evened out having to continue paying his salary. Yeah, there's the catch that then you're eating the new coach's salary while not being able to use the revenue from the increased attendance to pay for it, but I think that's expected.

I agree there is certainly a point of honoring the contract of a guy that is homegrown, but when you consistently underperform by so much...at some point you have to get past that. He took a mediocre program and made it far worse. We play a pathetic schedule (OOC included) and are still clawing our way out of finishing with a single-digit win count. Massey rates us as the #504 best defense in the country (putting us below probably most of D2 and some D3). That's a whole new level of defensive futility. 14 teams in D1 with a worse defensive rating than us.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JacksonHall - 02-05-2020 02:42 PM

(02-05-2020 02:39 PM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  The financial argument is moot. Yeah, it's a risk, but bringing in a new coach that gets the players to play up to their potential could have easily paid for himself in ticket and concession sales. Our attendance and ticket sales are literally at an all time low, at least as far back as I could find, since we've been a D1 program. Even back in Godwin our attendance was better than it is this year. 1,000 extra fans, plus concessions, plus increased donations for fans who wouldn't donate to get better football seats/parking, but would pay for basketball, would have paid Rowe's salary each year. It's not like he makes a ton of money. Having even mediocre interest by fans would have evened out having to continue paying his salary. Yeah, there's the catch that then you're eating the new coach's salary while not being able to use the revenue from the increased attendance to pay for it, but I think that's expected.

I agree there is certainly a point of honoring the contract of a guy that is homegrown, but when you consistently underperform by so much...at some point you have to get past that. He took a mediocre program and made it far worse. We play a pathetic schedule (OOC included) and are still clawing our way out of finishing with a single-digit win count. Massey rates us as the #504 best defense in the country (putting us below probably most of D2 and some D3). That's a whole new level of defensive futility. 14 teams in D1 with a worse defensive rating than us.

Rowe is a "defensive minded coach", I'll have you know.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Dukester - 02-05-2020 02:48 PM

(02-05-2020 02:42 PM)JacksonHall Wrote:  
(02-05-2020 02:39 PM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  The financial argument is moot. Yeah, it's a risk, but bringing in a new coach that gets the players to play up to their potential could have easily paid for himself in ticket and concession sales. Our attendance and ticket sales are literally at an all time low, at least as far back as I could find, since we've been a D1 program. Even back in Godwin our attendance was better than it is this year. 1,000 extra fans, plus concessions, plus increased donations for fans who wouldn't donate to get better football seats/parking, but would pay for basketball, would have paid Rowe's salary each year. It's not like he makes a ton of money. Having even mediocre interest by fans would have evened out having to continue paying his salary. Yeah, there's the catch that then you're eating the new coach's salary while not being able to use the revenue from the increased attendance to pay for it, but I think that's expected.

Rowe is a "defensive minded coach", I'll have you know.

Have we had a defensive minded coach since Campanelli? I know a lot "said" they emphasized defense.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Wear Purple - 02-05-2020 02:50 PM

(02-05-2020 02:48 PM)Dukester Wrote:  Have we had a defensive minded coach since Campanelli? I know a lot "said" they emphasized defense.

Not sure about defensive, but many of their win-loss records have been very offensive.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMad03 - 02-05-2020 02:52 PM

Those two comments... wow! That's where we are as a program. The best part is that Rowe claims to actually know defense better than offense. If that's not an indication of how bad he is as a head coach, nothing is. Even bringing in new assistants has done nothing to improve this team and in fact has been worse.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JacksonHall - 02-05-2020 03:03 PM

(02-05-2020 02:50 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  
(02-05-2020 02:48 PM)Dukester Wrote:  Have we had a defensive minded coach since Campanelli? I know a lot "said" they emphasized defense.

Not sure about defensive, but many of their win-loss records have been very offensive.

Lol. Good one!

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Purplehazed - 02-05-2020 03:19 PM

There are numerous posters on this board that have been asking for a clear vision for the jmu football program for a decade. These posters are criticized, in some cases attacked. If the destruction of the mbb program upsets you, you, me, we are to blame for having enabled this administration which continues an unwillingness to be transparent.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - ShadyP - 02-05-2020 04:28 PM

(02-04-2020 03:24 PM)JMad03 Wrote:  
(02-04-2020 01:26 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  
(02-04-2020 10:33 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  
(02-04-2020 09:24 AM)JMU_Newbill Wrote:  
(02-04-2020 09:14 AM)Dukester Wrote:  True - Hero not covering an obvious change at JMU? Hero is our second home paper next to the DNR. They are slipping up. 03-lmfao

Or they know something we don't want to admit? 05-stirthepot

If Rowe comes back, I am officially done with JMU MBB. I don't care that there's a new arena.
It would show that the admin believes that the fans will blindly return next year because we have a pretty new building.
Here's what will happen: fans will show up for the first few games to check it out, realize the product is the same garbage and will not come back. The attendance will be even lower than it is now and good luck trying to entice fans to come back when you no longer can use the new arena as bait.

Prepare yourself, there is a good chance Rowe will be back for another coaching lame duck scenario.

Do we really think King is going to eat a year of a coaches salary and ante up for a pricey coach?

I don't need to prepare for anything. JMU needs to prepare for an empty arena if that's the case. They wouldn't have had to eat a year of a coaches salary if they had just invested in a good coach. In my opinion they need to admit the mistake and move on.
They have no option but to succeed next year. Rowe has done nothing to suggest that he can turn things around. He can't even win more than 3 Div I games in a row. What has Rowe done as a head coach to deserve another year????
How bad would it look to have the first year in a new arena and only 1k people show up. Fans will show up next year for a little while to check the new place out, but make no mistake that fans will not come back if the result is the same as it has been.
It took decades for the fan base to not care and not support this team. They have an opportunity to bring them back. If they waste that opportunity by saving money they deserve exactly what's coming to them.
As for me, I'll be just fine without JMU MBB. They don't deserve my support if they refuse to admit their mistakeS.
Sometimes the best thing you can do for the one that you love is to let them go.

Don't take the bait......PHazed just wants to get folks all bitter and join his pity party. JMU has done absolutely nothing to indicate Rowe will be retained. Bourne recently addressed it basically saying nothing will be done mid-season and will be evaluated at season's end. He gave no vote of confidence or support toward Rowe. He took the approach of the program is clearly not meeting expectations.

PHazed is just looking to get the i hate jmu admin (Bourne, King, Alger) thing fired up.....don't take the bait and provide him the satisfaction.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Purplehazed - 02-05-2020 04:55 PM

Shady, I will eat crow if wrong, will you?
You think the JMU admin will indirectly admit they fired Brady with no plan, will pay Rowe and will pay up for a new coach that is not a case of dumping gas on their program dumpstet fire? We need a clear win if we move on from coach Rowe.

You got that from this round of "read between the lines?"

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - ShadyP - 02-05-2020 05:18 PM

(02-05-2020 04:55 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  Shady, I will eat crow if wrong, will you?
You think the JMU admin will indirectly admit they fired Brady with no plan, will pay Rowe and will pay up for a new coach that is not a case of dumping gas on their program dumpstet fire? We need a clear win if we move on from coach Rowe.

You got that from this round of "read between the lines?"

PHazed.....yeah I did.

- The very fact that you state publicly that the program is not living up to expectations kinda says, yeah Rowe is not the guy and was not a good hire.
- They had a program but my understanding is they did not think the other folks interviewed were worth the price they were demanding, among them Ron Sanchez from UVA now UNCC who is 0-2 against Rowe. Pretty sure I am glad we did not overpay for Sanchez right now.
- Rowe was a gamble and one that has not paid off. As such he did not command a higher salary. Would you have been more happy had they paid Rowe another S100k/year?
- Folks need to be realistic on salary. JMU is only going to pay so much for a mens bball coach in the CAA. Should that salary be among the top 3 in the CAA, yes. Should that salary be in the same neighborhood as the football coach, yes.

You are bitter and I guess I get it but at this point why look in the rearview mirror and beat a dead-horse. I don't think anyone is saying Rowe was a good hire and deserves another year or to be extended. If JMU does that (which I give about a 0.001% chance) that would be an awful decision. But until they actually do that, not sure what purpose your continual bashing of JMU Admin serves. You should call or email Bourne.......he does a great job at responding.

Not sure what crow you want me to eat. I was 'OK' with the Rowe hire. I was not blown away but was 'ok' with it at the time and hoped for the best, which is about all you can do with any coaching hire (i.e. I am sure Texas wants a lot more for their investment in Shaka Smart than they are getting or Wake Forest in Danny Manning). Every single time a coach is hired it is a roll of the dice. Nick Saban was awful at Miami (looked like a great hire) but was amazing everywhere else he has coached. I had a class or two with Rowe when I was at JMU and always seemed like a good guy so I really wanted him to succeed at JMU and felt like he deserved (like any coach) 4 years for a full recruiting cycle. But it clearly is not working and is time to move on. I am cool admitting that, no big deal......I was wrong, it was a bad hire.

I can also admit that all in all Jeff Bourne and Charlie King have been very good for JMU and responsible for driving huge amounts of growth and success in the athletic programs and university as a whole. I am out to lunch on Alger b/c quite frankly I am not too fond of the guy --- he is 'ok' but does not move the needle one way or the other for me.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - HyperDuke - 02-05-2020 05:19 PM

I do think he might be retained if he makes the CAAT finals. If he's retained simply for MAKING the CAAT semis, we should all storm their offices with pitchforks.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - HyperDuke - 02-05-2020 05:21 PM

(02-05-2020 05:18 PM)ShadyP Wrote:  I can also admit that all in all Jeff Bourne and Charlie King have been very good for JMU and responsible for driving huge amounts of growth and success in the athletic programs and university as a whole.

I agree with this too. They both deserve credit for our overall success. I still don't like King's holier-than-thou personality, but he deserves credit for all of the positives.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Dukester - 02-05-2020 05:24 PM

(02-05-2020 05:21 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  
(02-05-2020 05:18 PM)ShadyP Wrote:  I can also admit that all in all Jeff Bourne and Charlie King have been very good for JMU and responsible for driving huge amounts of growth and success in the athletic programs and university as a whole.

I agree with this too. They both deserve credit for our overall success. I still don't like King's holier-than-thou personality, but he deserves credit for all of the positives.

As do I.

When they are good, they are very good which is usually the case. BUT when they are bad, they are very bad.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Longhorn - 02-05-2020 08:10 PM

Agreed.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Wear Purple - 02-05-2020 08:33 PM

Here's one for ya...

...if the Dukes are swept this weekend on the road at Drexel and Delaware (we'll be underdogs in each), we will be extremely close to being relegated to the Keener & Rowe Invitational Round at the CAAT before February 9th even gets here.

In this scenario, 5 teams will be out of our reach to finish ahead of them in the seedings and the last one would require us to win the remainder of our 5 games and Towson to lose the rest of its games starting tomorrow night (to somehow get the #6 seed).

At least it will give our 7 fans planning to attend the CAAT plenty of time (almost a full month) to make reservations for Saturday's opening night. WOOHOO!

03-thumbsup

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Deez Nuts - 02-05-2020 08:59 PM

WP you still holding out for a Keener round bye? I'll have what you're having!