CSNbbs
Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Targets for next Head MBB Coach (/thread-867451.html)

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Deez Nuts - 01-21-2020 10:12 AM

Carlin was good

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Centdukesfan - 01-21-2020 10:18 AM

apparently karl hobbs had been courted heavily by howard last offseason, offering him 700k

https://hbcugameday.com/2019/04/20/howard-to-offer-rutgers-karl-hobbs-big-salary/

They settled with Kenny blakeney, who has been disappointing to say the least.

May indicate that he will only go back to being a HC for the right role. Doubtful JMU fits that mold.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMU85 - 01-21-2020 10:31 AM

(01-21-2020 10:12 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  Carlin was good

I saw Carlin at the Convo. I believe it was 1984 and he did the "Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television" bit. I think that list might be down to only 3 or 4.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Dukester - 01-21-2020 10:34 AM

(01-21-2020 10:18 AM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  apparently karl hobbs had been courted heavily by howard last offseason, offering him 700k

https://hbcugameday.com/2019/04/20/howard-to-offer-rutgers-karl-hobbs-big-salary/

May indicate that he will only go back to being a HC for the right role. Doubtful JMU fits that mold.

However, a source close to the situation told HBCU Gameday that the figure reported by the Times was “astronomically high” and inaccurate.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Halz87 - 01-21-2020 10:48 AM

(01-21-2020 10:34 AM)Dukester Wrote:  
(01-21-2020 10:18 AM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  apparently karl hobbs had been courted heavily by howard last offseason, offering him 700k

However, a source close to the situation told HBCU Gameday that the figure reported by the Times was “astronomically high” and inaccurate.

that sounds like his guys were "priming the pump" a little

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Wear Purple - 01-21-2020 11:12 AM

Combining threads...

...perhaps Bob Trott can coach the MBB team???

:>)

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - ShadyP - 01-21-2020 11:25 AM

(01-21-2020 11:12 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Combining threads...

Bob Trott may not know basketball, but at least he would yell at them sometimes.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Wear Purple - 01-21-2020 11:27 AM

(01-21-2020 11:25 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  

Bob Trott may not know basketball, but at least he would yell at them sometimes.

I'd be willing to bet we'd at least improve defensively. 03-thumbsup

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMad03 - 01-21-2020 11:58 AM

(01-21-2020 11:27 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  
(01-21-2020 11:25 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  

I'd be willing to bet we'd at least improve defensively. 03-thumbsup

We'd have the best blitzing basketball team in the country. Unfortunately all of the guys would be fouled out in the first 5 minutes.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - KickItToScotty - 01-21-2020 03:47 PM

(01-21-2020 10:06 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  
(01-21-2020 09:59 AM)jmuroadwarrior Wrote:  I’m in for whatever you guys decide, including a humorous Mike Deane- type assistant. But I have just one proviso. None of you wear dark suits, no graduate assistants or student managers wear any suits either. I am tired of seeing more guys in suits on the bench than players. Currently, time-outs look like a mafia convention when the dozen suits huddle up and exchange dumb ideas or listen with their arms folded Silvio Soprano style wannabes. I want our coaches to look like coaches and not a bunch of ....

^^This reminds me of an ol' George Carlin segment about how odd it is that managers of baseball teams wear uniforms like the players. He then went on to say wouldn't it be funny if other sports did the same thing. Like (at the time) Bill Parcells wearing a NY Giants uniform on the sidelines with shoulder pads, helmet, et al. Or, basketball coaches wearing shorts and wife beaters on the sidelines.

I miss George. But, I digress. 04-cheers

Carlin was great, and baseball vs. football is definitely up there for his best.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Middle-aged-Duke - 01-21-2020 08:09 PM

I think that if somehow we could get into the A10, we might get a better coach. I like a previous comment that our football program might have go the independent route in order for the bball team to do this with an invite, of course.

Both programs would be upgraded. We have a kickbutt football program that could have a terrific schedule as an independent. What would we be afraid of? Fantastic stadium...and reputation as a place where you can win.

But perhaps the new convocation center will get us the coach we want and we will be a winner in the CAA. I still like the better basketball and playing our old rivals in the A10.

Middle of the pack in CAA bball in 2 years and 2000 people in the stands will be just wrong.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMad03 - 01-21-2020 10:36 PM

(01-21-2020 08:09 PM)Middle-aged-Duke Wrote:  I think that if somehow we could get into the A10, we might get a better coach. I like a previous comment that our football program might have go the independent route in order for the bball team to do this with an invite, of course.

Both programs would be upgraded. We have a kickbutt football program that could have a terrific schedule as an independent. What would we be afraid of? Fantastic stadium...and reputation as a place where you can win.

But perhaps the new convocation center will get us the coach we want and we will be a winner in the CAA. I still like the better basketball and playing our old rivals in the A10.

Middle of the pack in CAA bball in 2 years and 2000 people in the stands will be just wrong.

There's a reason why so few schools go Independent.
Frankly, JMU cannot afford to go Independent in football and will NEVER do it.
Liberty can afford to go Independent and if you look at their schedules they are inconsistent at best. One year they actually played a school twice. One year JMU may have several games fans could travel to by car and the next have zero. Scheduling gets even more difficult when the majority of schools are deep into their conference schedules. It gets even tougher to schedule OOC at those times.
Lastly, having to make deals with every single team on the schedule can leave a lot of undesirable results. One year we could have 7 home games and the next year we might get 3. It's hard enough to get OOC games. Essentially having a full OOC schedule every single week is an incredible challenge.
Unless you have lots of money (Liberty) or a massive brand (Notre Dame) going Independent is a dangerous proposition.
As I said before, if it were so great everyone would do it.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - KickItToScotty - 01-22-2020 12:09 AM

As has been mentioned before, CAA football is separate from the CAA so leaving the CAA for everything else wouldn't necessarily mean leaving for football. A10 would obviously be a pretty significant upgrade in basketball, plus the fact that there's no A10 football would leave us with zero reason to avoid a football only FBS move. Of course it's hard to tell whether or not a football only move would be easier to find a good fit or harder... Basketball wouldn't be holding us back anymore so there's that but maybe the best fit(s) would be looking for an all sports member. Of course we could move all sports again along with football if that were the case, but that's expensive.

It's a moot point though because again, why on earth would the A10 be interested? We have to improve basketball a ton before they would be and at that point it'd no longer be holding us back from any other move anyway. Our RPI is currently 237 and if that's where it finishes that'd be our best since 2015-16(256, 272, 263 the last three years).

AAC all sports, whatever path gets us there, would be excellent. A10 all sports with football only somewhere like Sun Belt, CUSA, or anywhere FBS besides independent would be next best. Neither of those are happening until after basketball is much improved though.

Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMUDunk - 01-22-2020 06:07 AM

(01-21-2020 09:29 AM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  
(01-18-2020 03:33 PM)JMUDunk Wrote:  To the OP,

Just tuned in for all I could stomach, at this point I’ll say hire Cent as HC, BSBK as his go to assistant and Sup and Hart can run the rest of the show.

Would it take anymore than 3-4 guys off a damn message board to do any worse?

Save all that “coach money” and use it to buy beer for anyone that bothers to show up. Minors included...

So Dunk, you are saying I would be Cent's Mike Dean?!

In a cents (lol, I kill me), yes.

You keep him on the rails. When/if he strays off to dumbo land or wherever our last 25 yrs of coaching has strayed, you give the leash a smart jerk.

Crooked finger in face, get your head right. That kind of thing.

While in jest (kinda) does anyone doubt this could work near as well as this current debacle?

I don’t. Give it a shot. I’ll show up for the beer

Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Centdukesfan - 01-22-2020 07:13 AM

This is a brilliant plan.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - jmuroadwarrior - 01-22-2020 09:04 AM

(01-22-2020 07:13 AM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  This is a brilliant plan.

It is brilliant. And with Gary as the assistant, at halftime, coaches and players can have gumbo with their beer!

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Dukester - 01-22-2020 09:17 AM

(01-21-2020 08:09 PM)Middle-aged-Duke Wrote:  I think that if somehow we could get into the A10, we might get a better coach. I like a previous comment that our football program might have go the independent route in order for the bball team to do this with an invite, of course.

MAD!!

How have you been? I don't see you on here too much these days.

I do too miss the rivalries. I think we all do. Even playing each other OOC is not the same. I one time wished we had gone with RU to the A10, much like I wish we had gone to CUSA with ODU. I'm not sure the A10 would want us, and I don't think that would be a better option for us at this point either.

I don't think it's the conference that is holding us back. I don't think its the facilities that are holding us back. I don't think it's fan support that is holding us back finding a solid coach. I think what is holding us back is our unwillingness to spend market rate for a solid coach and realizing he will offset this additional cost with ticket sales and donations.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Dukester - 01-22-2020 09:20 AM

(01-22-2020 06:07 AM)JMUDunk Wrote:  
(01-21-2020 09:29 AM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  
(01-18-2020 03:33 PM)JMUDunk Wrote:  To the OP,

Just tuned in for all I could stomach, at this point I’ll say hire Cent as HC, BSBK as his go to assistant and Sup and Hart can run the rest of the show.

Would it take anymore than 3-4 guys off a damn message board to do any worse?

Save all that “coach money” and use it to buy beer for anyone that bothers to show up. Minors included...

So Dunk, you are saying I would be Cent's Mike Dean?!

In a cents (lol, I kill me), yes.

You keep him on the rails. When/if he strays off to dumbo land or wherever our last 25 yrs of coaching has strayed, you give the leash a smart jerk.

Crooked finger in face, get your head right. That kind of thing.

While in jest (kinda) does anyone doubt this could work near as well as this current debacle?

I don’t. Give it a shot. I’ll show up for the beer

As I have posted - I love Cent, but I'm afraid we would be putting him in a position to fail. I could see him going Eustachy on us.

Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Centdukesfan - 01-22-2020 11:25 AM

Lol maybe many years ago. I got my first little Duke on the way! April 3 is coming in hot!

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - AssyrianDuke - 01-22-2020 11:35 AM

(01-22-2020 11:25 AM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  Lol maybe many years ago. I got my first little Duke on the way! April 3 is coming in hot!

Congrats!