CSNbbs
Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Targets for next Head MBB Coach (/thread-867451.html)

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMad03 - 03-15-2019 11:37 AM

They need more than a new arena to make this happen. That's what's frustrating to me about it. They hired a guy with zero head coaching ability and paid him min salary and yet they have big plans? The two are not telling the same story to me.
"Build it and they will come" works when you have a good coach and a good team and we have neither. I do think we'll pack the arena the first few games, but that number will plummet if the product remains the same.
It would be embarrassing for JMU to have a brand new arena and nobody wants to come. That is exactly what will happen if next year isn't an epic turnaround.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - 2Buck - 03-15-2019 11:41 AM

(03-15-2019 09:25 AM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  It wasn't really winning a game. It was a play in for a 16 seed

Yeah, a play-in for the 16 seed is like saying "you both suck but due to auto-bids we're required to at least give you a shot at making the tourney".

Higher seed play-ins are really meant to let some decent bubble teams fight it out, but play-in at 16 is an insult.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - jmu98 - 03-15-2019 11:51 AM

(03-15-2019 11:37 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  They need more than a new arena to make this happen. That's what's frustrating to me about it. They hired a guy with zero head coaching ability and paid him min salary and yet they have big plans? The two are not telling the same story to me.
"Build it and they will come" works when you have a good coach and a good team and we have neither. I do think we'll pack the arena the first few games, but that number will plummet if the product remains the same.
It would be embarrassing for JMU to have a brand new arena and nobody wants to come. That is exactly what will happen if next year isn't an epic turnaround.

I agree and have said the same thing to them that the arena is great, but Rowe is not the guy. Time will tell if the bigger plans materialize, but it is a stated goal.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Dukester - 03-15-2019 11:52 AM

(03-15-2019 11:30 AM)jmu98 Wrote:  While I agree that I'm not sure Rowe is the right guy to lead us forward, I can tell you that JMU has big plans for the basketball program and trying to get it to a point where we are a consistent winner. Based on everything I have been told and heard, I believe that Rowe has to win big time to be back after next year (a winning record and 4th place finish is not going to cut it) and that if he does not they will make the investment this time to get a coach who can do so. They are actively out there right now working to secure large gifts to add the extra finishing touches to the arena and have a stated $$$ goal that they are trying to attain to do so. Any size gift is welcome, but they are actively soliciting larger gifts at this time. Time will tell if all of this is successful, but it is clear to me that unless something drastic changes next year, Rowe is not the man to lead us into a new era.

Kinda funny. This just backs what I and others are saying. How much easier, and how much more could you get for large gifts if you were not coming off 3 bad seasons and bringing back the same coaching staff? Start focusing on winning and the money will come back in excess.

Also that reminds me of what I used to hear for Sherm, keener, Brady, and not Rowe. The timing is/was too late for all except Keener.

Duh - we suck for a 4th year than that’s too much. How bold and proactive by the administration. Yeah right.

Hearing the same revolving comments gets old after a few decades.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - 2Buck - 03-15-2019 12:07 PM

(03-15-2019 11:37 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  They need more than a new arena to make this happen. That's what's frustrating to me about it. They hired a guy with zero head coaching ability and paid him min salary and yet they have big plans? The two are not telling the same story to me.

They are absolutely going to win more games next year. With Rowe as coach they'd absolutely win even more games the following year when the arena opens with the talent level of the seniors and sophomores they'll have, probably similar to Brady level of success.

The admin will have to decide- do they spin that momentum into "we're improving" and extend Rowe before the arena opens, or cut bait and bring in a bigger hire?

By not parting with Rowe this year, they are actually going to make the decision harder for themselves because Rowe's team(s) will be improving. If Rowe brings in an even stronger recruiting class in 2020, in theory we wouldn't see his true "plateau" until 2022 at the earliest.

To me at least, his level of coaching was quite evident over the last 3 years, even if he didn't have the players and maturity and system he wanted in place. So this may become a case of- how much can individual player talent overcome lack of coaching talent in terms of program success?

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Hart Foundation - 03-15-2019 08:23 PM

(03-15-2019 11:52 AM)Dukester Wrote:  
(03-15-2019 11:30 AM)jmu98 Wrote:  While I agree that I'm not sure Rowe is the right guy to lead us forward, I can tell you that JMU has big plans for the basketball program and trying to get it to a point where we are a consistent winner. Based on everything I have been told and heard, I believe that Rowe has to win big time to be back after next year (a winning record and 4th place finish is not going to cut it) and that if he does not they will make the investment this time to get a coach who can do so. They are actively out there right now working to secure large gifts to add the extra finishing touches to the arena and have a stated $$$ goal that they are trying to attain to do so. Any size gift is welcome, but they are actively soliciting larger gifts at this time. Time will tell if all of this is successful, but it is clear to me that unless something drastic changes next year, Rowe is not the man to lead us into a new era.

Kinda funny. This just backs what I and others are saying. How much easier, and how much more could you get for large gifts if you were not coming off 3 bad seasons and bringing back the same coaching staff? Start focusing on winning and the money will come back in excess.

Also that reminds me of what I used to hear for Sherm, keener, Brady, and not Rowe. The timing is/was too late for all except Keener.

Duh - we suck for a 4th year than that’s too much. How bold and proactive by the administration. Yeah right.

Hearing the same revolving comments gets old after a few decades.

Indeed. You have very little leverage to maximize fundraising when the program has regressed to a bad place in the last 3 years.
Good luck securing enough donations in the next 12 months on the back of a coach and program who has lost 2/3 of their games. Talk about handcuffing the Duke Club.

JMU98, you know the talk is cheap.
“We have big plans for the Basketball Program”
“We are okay retaining a coach who has a career 30-64 record”
Those things don’t match. Actions > words.

The fans aren’t dumb and there is a tangible penalty. Attendance has shriveled to all-time lows, long-time supporters have checked out, current students don’t care about the program. All of this leads to fewer and smaller donations.

Hoops junkies like me will still donate to the arena but certainly not at the rate I would if a good coach was in place with a winning program. Those that aren’t as invested may not donate at all because it is throwing good money after bad money. People don’t donate to what is perceived as a losing cause. Neither do corporations who we know can be difference makers in athletics fundraising.

Here is the timing problem... one year from now, the arena will be almost 100% complete. Too late to raise money and change interior designs, alter amenities etc that have already been procured and installed.
In the best case scenario of a NCAA bid next March, JMU won’t have the time to capitalize on it and enhance the arena fundraising.

Bourne must sit in the mess he has made now that the decision is final.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - NJDuke97 - 03-15-2019 08:27 PM

I can’t wait to go to the bathroom in the new arena, observe that the stalls have single ply toilet paper and blame JMU for not firing Rowe after season 3 and stymying fund raising.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Purplehazed - 03-19-2019 04:06 PM

I hope "consistent winner" eventually includes playing decent programs for fan entertainment purposes. Was Radford the best home game this year? I know Radford beat Notre Dame and was decent this year (and we won!) but Radford as the biggest home draw? Ugh.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMad03 - 03-19-2019 04:18 PM

(03-19-2019 04:06 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  

I hope "consistent winner" eventually includes playing decent programs for fan entertainment purposes. Was Radford the best home game this year? I know Radford beat Notre Dame and was decent this year (and we won!) but Radford as the biggest home draw? Ugh.

Eventually is the key word. The more we win, the more appealing we become to other opponents. Right now we are a liability and there are very few programs that would see any benefit in playing us. Right now, we can't even face good teams at their home. We aren't even at that level right now and that is pathetic.
Winning solves everything. I agree that opponents do bring in a crowd, but it also doesn't look good to be humiliated in front of your home crowd. But as I said, the good teams (the ones that would really draw big crowds) don't want cupcakes on their schedule and we are a huge frosting filled cupcake right now.
The NC State decision is only going to solidify this point even more in the future.

As for "big plans", that's nothing but a pipe dream right now and pretty foolish given the direction that we are heading. The new arena is nice, but isn't worth a damn if there's no fans in it. It would be incredibly embarrassing if we can't even fill that place halfway in our first season there and that's a huge possibility.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Purplehazed - 03-20-2019 11:03 AM

King, Bourne, Alger or anybody else can and would take any heat about future basketball attendance by stating that the UBC is a multipurpose facility, not a dedicated basketball arena built for no reason other than sports. They are not losing sleep over it, why would they? Who is really causing any pressure?

Choices, graduation and everything else will be in that building and giant parking deck. A great basketball arena is secondary and engages the DC for donations.

The King/Bourne legacy is "look at the athletic facilities we left you with."

The next AD/Reporting structure & athletics as marketing vision is what we need to be paying attention to now.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - RamDawg - 03-20-2019 12:09 PM

(03-15-2019 08:23 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Indeed. You have very little leverage to maximize fundraising when the program has regressed to a bad place in the last 3 years.
Good luck securing enough donations in the next 12 months on the back of a coach and program who has lost 2/3 of their games. Talk about handcuffing the Duke Club.

JMU98, you know the talk is cheap.
“We have big plans for the Basketball Program”
“We are okay retaining a coach who has a career 30-64 record”
Those things don’t match. Actions > words.

The fans aren’t dumb and there is a tangible penalty. Attendance has shriveled to all-time lows, long-time supporters have checked out, current students don’t care about the program. All of this leads to fewer and smaller donations.

Hoops junkies like me will still donate to the arena but certainly not at the rate I would if a good coach was in place with a winning program. Those that aren’t as invested may not donate at all because it is throwing good money after bad money. People don’t donate to what is perceived as a losing cause. Neither do corporations who we know can be difference makers in athletics fundraising.

Here is the timing problem... one year from now, the arena will be almost 100% complete. Too late to raise money and change interior designs, alter amenities etc that have already been procured and installed.
In the best case scenario of a NCAA bid next March, JMU won’t have the time to capitalize on it and enhance the arena fundraising.

Bourne must sit in the mess he has made now that the decision is final.

Pondering some comments pertaining to the financial side of athletics:

If JMU had a good basketball program in the CAA, how much would that change the donation amount the average person makes?

Aren't the athletic fund members really donating toward one major sport (football in our case, basketball in Duke's case) and the other sports benefit from the success of one sport? Do people donate more because we have great softball, as an example?

I understand the more successful the programs you have the better you're bottom line will be. But I'm wondering how much change would we see in donation revenues with having MBB program at the top of the CAA. Success sells seats but that's pretty small potatoes compared to potential donations.

From a business standpoint; Does it matter that our MBB is weak as long as we have the other major sport to prop up the athletic program's finances as a whole.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - jmufan2008 - 03-20-2019 12:37 PM

In a normal year...no...it doesn't matter that our #2 sport is weak. The next 5 years are going to be CRUCIAL for fundraising for the new arena. Not gonna lie...I never considered donating to the new arena because the direction we're going in and what we're settling for is pathetic. How many big donors do you think want to give to a program with a 0% chance of making it to the NCAA tournament? How many small donors care enough about MBB at this point? We don't currently have any football capital projects...we do have a capital project in our #2 sport, but we're not acting like it. Right now we're buying a shiny new luxury car that can only drive 5 miles...how much you gonna pay for that?

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - RamDawg - 03-20-2019 01:02 PM

Take the shiny new car out of the mix for a min. Capital giving and Duke Club giving are two separate things. Hart somewhat mentioned that having "bad" MBB affects levels of giving but I'm not necessarily sure that is the case. If we have another successful year in all our sports and MBB has a crazy good season, say loses first round of the NCAAT, how much does that really impact fans donating more?

Reading some of the post from the regular's, regardless if they arefor or against Rowe, I keep thinking that the Admin isn't all that concerned about being "average" in MBB. MAYBE they don't see a significant return on investment with having good men's basketball.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Deez Nuts - 03-20-2019 01:19 PM

For financial to make a noticeable difference it will take sustained wins/success. I would venture to say that a one-and-done blip like we experienced in 2013 was good for social media engagement and that's about it. It may have inspired some gifts, but (my opinion is that) they couldn't have been major gifts.

I'm investing in the UBTC for more reasons than basketball.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Hart Foundation - 03-20-2019 01:24 PM

Here is a good article about VCU if you want to look at the impact of NCAA basketball on donations at mid-major schools. They certainly parlayed their final 4 run into massive financial growth and now get over $5 million/year in donations.

I don't see the specifics mentioned in the article, but the additional real financial gain is in direct NCAA payouts for Tournament appearances and wins.
Each appearance and win is currently worth $270,000 annually for the next 6 years. So if you string together a run of years in the NCAA without even winning a game in the tournament, you will be cashing a progressively larger check until that 6th year courtesy of the good ol' NCAA Hoops TV fund.
This is where the conference revenue sharing policy matters. The CAA has a 50% performance excellence share where the team that actually made the appearances or won games is the one that gets more of the money. That's right, despite JMU's current drought of success they are still getting cash from the 2013 NCAA appearance and win.

all of this points to Basketball being a cash cow for mid-major programs that are successful. Relatively low expenses for a 13 scholarship team and lots of revenue streams that surpass gate receipts for strong attendance.
https://richmondbizsense.com/2019/03/18/vcu-athletics-budget-doubled-since-2011-final-four-run/

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - AssyrianDuke - 03-20-2019 02:16 PM

It also helps that MBB is top dog in athletics at VCU. Wondering what the results would be for a school that has a top end football program like we have at JMU. Not saying that the article is worthless when it comes to JMU; it was actually an enjoyable read and showed how schools can maximize momentum and learn from others in their situation.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - RamDawg - 03-20-2019 02:20 PM

(03-20-2019 01:24 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Here is a good article about VCU if you want to look at the impact of NCAA basketball on donations at mid-major schools. They certainly parlayed their final 4 run into massive financial growth and now get over $5 million/year in donations.

I don't see the specifics mentioned in the article, but the additional real financial gain is in direct NCAA payouts for Tournament appearances and wins.
Each appearance and win is currently worth $270,000 annually for the next 6 years. So if you string together a run of years in the NCAA without even winning a game in the tournament, you will be cashing a progressively larger check until that 6th year courtesy of the good ol' NCAA Hoops TV fund.
This is where the conference revenue sharing policy matters. The CAA has a 50% performance excellence share where the team that actually made the appearances or won games is the one that gets more of the money. That's right, despite JMU's current drought of success they are still getting cash from the 2013 NCAA appearance and win.

all of this points to Basketball being a cash cow for mid-major programs that are successful. Relatively low expenses for a 13 scholarship team and lots of revenue streams that surpass gate receipts for strong attendance.
https://richmondbizsense.com/2019/03/18/vcu-athletics-budget-doubled-since-2011-final-four-run/

I may be wrong but I think I recall hearing that VCU continued to pay the CAA members for years after the final four run and they left for the A-10.

Needless to say, VCU has put all their eggs into the basketball basket. But I think it would be interesting to see a similar study/article about the success JMU has had with football and what financial impacts the championships have had.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Hart Foundation - 03-20-2019 02:39 PM

There are hardly any FCS programs with perennially strong basketball teams. I would say that supports the argument we have seen debated for a decade on this board in the Conference Rumor thread. JMU is in no man’s land for having a $51 million athletics budget. FCS cost containment football and awful basketball = very low ROI.

Villanova would be the shining example of FCS football and consistently strong hoops.
Dayton and Georgetown masquerade as FCS football and have strong hoops but they really don’t try to compete in FCS football using limited resources there. The rest of the FCS is inconsistent at best in hoops.

All other athletic programs in the NCAA who want to excel at both revenue sports football and basketball are FBS and invest accordingly in both. JMU is the clear outlier and has been sitting on the pot for way too long as other programs have taken action and bypassed the Dukes into the land of milk & honey.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Wear Purple - 03-20-2019 05:04 PM

North Dakota State tips off in about 30 minutes in one of the play-in games.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - RamDawg - 03-21-2019 02:59 PM

(03-20-2019 05:04 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  North Dakota State tips off in about 30 minutes in one of the play-in games.

NDSU tips off against Duke at 7:10 tomorrow. As hard as it is to say...Go Bizon.