CSNbbs
Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Targets for next Head MBB Coach (/thread-867451.html)

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Longhorn - 03-20-2020 08:12 PM

(03-20-2020 08:01 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 08:00 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 06:56 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 06:44 PM)jmutoml757 Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 06:43 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  This is a good hire.

Those of you expecting another lefty hire were not living in reality.

I’m happy about this one and think it will turn out to be a good move.

Please explain.

Ga southern might have been in worse shape than our program when he took over. He turned them around quickly in a very tough place to win. No ncaas since 1992 at Gsu. Wasn’t exactly a perennial ncaa team there.

His teams routinely are near top in scoring in ncaas. He will bring an exciting style. For real though. Not just talk like with rowe. He’s shown it already.

He had recruited top players. And to a place with no history and a worse arena than the convo.

Their fans seem disappointed he’s leaving. That’s a good sign. Remember Marist couldn’t wait to be rid of Brady, that was a red flag.

Which candidate out there was better? Mike jones? You guys ever wonder why jones hasn’t gotten a better head gig than Radford ? He’s 54 years old now, and the Radford gig is where he’s gone so far. I have no idea why. Never met the guy or paid much attention, but that to me is a concern.

I’m not sure where you came up with that idea about MB. Marist wanted to “be rid of Brady” so much they sued JMU over his departure (and after Marist had just extended his contract.

Marist fans.

Prove it. I’m pretty aware of these things. I didn’t read any Marist fan expressing displeasure with MB other than he jilted them for more money and a better school/conference after renegotiating his contract and promising he was committed to Marist. That’s not fan displeasure over MB’s performance as a coach, indeed it’s the exact opposite.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - DukeDogNation - 03-20-2020 08:13 PM

Let's be honest, we need a rebuilding coach and he seems like he knew how to rebuild GSU. I'll take it.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - BSKB 24 - 03-20-2020 08:14 PM

(03-20-2020 07:39 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  I find it hard to believe you are talking about a 3 or 4 year process when the purple palace is opening this year.

The fans’ patience was gone 2 years ago. Bourne and Alger have botched the grand opening and had 4 years to plan for it. When it comes to hoops, I have zero respect for those guys.

Don’t be so pessimistic. Show a little excitement and get behind this coach. Hopefully, you will be pleasantly impressed.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Hart Foundation - 03-20-2020 08:16 PM

Haha. You are giving Bourne and Alger credit when they are the ones that wrecked the program 4 years ago with an atrocious hire. They are simply bringing the coaching back to where it was, if that.

I got it.
Let’s fire a winning coach. Then hire a woeful coach. Then hire a winning coach less accomplished than the first coach and claim we have made an upgrade. Brilliant.
Let’s see if we can dupe the fanbase.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - KickItToScotty - 03-20-2020 08:18 PM

One other thing I thought would be an interesting comparison between Jones and Byington is how they've fared against some big boys in recent years. I know a lot of us have talked about how we would really like to JMU get back to playing those games more frequently and occasionally winning those games.

Byington:
2019-20 at Auburn 74-83 L
2019-20 at Georgia 64-73 L
2018-19 at Arizona 70-100 L
2017-18 at Wake Forest 85-83 W
2016-17 at NC State 79-81 L
2016-17 at Minnesota 49-86
2015-16 at Ole Miss 72-82 L
2015-16 at Auburn 62-92 L
2015-16 at Duke 65-99 L

Jones:
2019-20 at Mississippi St. 68-77 L
2018-19 at Notre Dame 63-60 W
2018-19 at Texas 62-59 W
2018-19 at Clemson 66-74 L
2018-19 at Maryland 64-78 L
2017-18 at Ohio State 72-82 L
2017-18 at Vanderbilt 62-74 L
2017-18 at Virginia Tech 68-95 L
2016-17 at Wake Forest 59-80 L
2016-17 at UNC 50-95 L
2016-17 at WVU 57-84 L
2015-16 at Georgetown 82-80 W
2015-16 vs Virginia Tech 65-74 L

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Potomac - 03-20-2020 08:22 PM

Remember how underwhelmed everyone was with the Mike Houston hire? It was the majority of the opinions. It wasn't "impressive" enough.

The critics were quickly shut up.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - PolishFalconDuke - 03-20-2020 08:23 PM

(03-20-2020 07:08 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 07:06 PM)JMUska Wrote:  Got a good feeling. Seems like a good guy who’s won 20+ games at a school where not many people care about basketball, and he’s got in-state ties. I’m optimistic.

Day 1...

...he better teach these guys something about playing defense or it will be more of the SOS.

Underwhelmed as expected. But, he's our guy now like him or not. I'll get behind him...from a distance though.

If a guy who played for Wainwright can't/won't teach team defense, I'll be supremely disappointed in this hire.
I hope Coach Byington follows the UNCW blueprint of that he was a part of and resulted in great success in the CAA.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Dukester - 03-20-2020 08:25 PM

(03-20-2020 08:22 PM)Potomac Wrote:  Remember how underwhelmed everyone was with the Mike Houston hire? It was the majority of the opinions. It wasn't "impressive" enough.

The critics were quickly shut up.

No, actually I don’t.

But better than Lou Rowe. Thankfully we did not have to pay too much.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - KickItToScotty - 03-20-2020 08:25 PM

Mettlen tweeted that it's a total compensation of $450k per year. So not quite the bump most of us were hoping for, but a pretty significant increase from Rowe and Brady.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Hart Foundation - 03-20-2020 08:26 PM

(03-20-2020 08:14 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 07:39 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  I find it hard to believe you are talking about a 3 or 4 year process when the purple palace is opening this year.

The fans’ patience was gone 2 years ago. Bourne and Alger have botched the grand opening and had 4 years to plan for it. When it comes to hoops, I have zero respect for those guys.

Don’t be so pessimistic. Show a little excitement and get behind this coach. Hopefully, you will be pleasantly impressed.

I’ll wait to see if the new coach brings in impact transfers and HS recruits between now and the Summer. His resume is his resume. 7 years and zero NCAA bids. This does not line up with building a $100 million arena. Not his fault, because he gets a pay raise. Who wouldn’t want that?

Bourne and Alger have created everlasting damage with their decision to not financially compete with successful mid major programs. My money earmarked for the arena is now going to charities I support, which is probably better anyway.
Will I renew season tickets for next year? I will wait and see. If Byington brings in some impact players, then I probably will but definitely not throwing money at premium seating. If Byington doesn’t have some ace recruits up his sleeve then I won’t renew.

When the dust settles and we see a schedule for next year we can set a nice betting pool to see what average attendance will be in the AUBC. Vs UVA should sellout regardless of the coach. All the other games will be a report card of how bad Bourne and Alger have messed up the grand opening year.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - NJDuke97 - 03-20-2020 08:29 PM

(03-20-2020 08:16 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Haha. You are giving Bourne and Alger credit when they are the ones that wrecked the program 4 years ago with an atrocious hire. They are simply bringing the coaching back to where it was, if that.

I got it.
Let’s fire a winning coach. Then hire a woeful coach. Then hire a winning coach less accomplished than the first coach and claim we have made an upgrade. Brilliant.

At some point you’re going to have to get past the Brady thing. Matt knew it was over and time to turn the page at the end and so did JMU. 8 years is a decent run for a head coach. It had plateaued so you try something different. That was a failure so you try something else. I think the resumes are pretty similar but Byington has been a head coach longer than Brady.

The job has become more attractive than it was with the new arena and JMU more willing to commit more in years and money. It will become even more attractive the next time which I hope isn’t for a while. You weren’t going to get a high level mid major coach to take the JMU job- the Millers Forbes Becker’s and Odoms are going to move to a high major. Bourne clearly preferred a current coach to an ex coach.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - NJDuke97 - 03-20-2020 08:33 PM

For assistants the associate is now the interim at Ga Southern. One down Betts has been with Byington for 5 years and is from Virginia. He was an assistant under Capel at Vcu. I hope he is brought along on staff. He even coached South Carolina State for a few years and had a winning record as a head coach.

Recruits judging from verbal commits 2 star guys but heavily recruited ones at that. Not sure what can be done this late in the cycle. One commit to Ga Southern this year was a mid year transfer recruit and former leading scorer at Uab who is set to be eligible at Ga Southern for 20-21 with two years of eligibility. I wonder if he could come with him since he red shirted this past year at G southern.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - bjk3047 - 03-20-2020 08:35 PM

(03-20-2020 08:26 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  I’ll wait to see if the new coach brings in impact transfers and HS recruits between now and the Summer.

Not bringing the silliness from another thread over here, at least not intentionally. But with the mandated recruiting dead period at least through April 15 (and very well longer), you may need to reserve judgement a little longer. It could be a very atypical offseason.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - NJDuke97 - 03-20-2020 08:50 PM

So I guess we have 6 years of Hart undercutting the new coach and hankering for Matt Brady to look forward to?

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMU2004 - 03-20-2020 08:58 PM

(03-20-2020 08:00 PM)Potomac Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 06:18 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  Meh....not the hire we had hoped for, but he did win at a football school.

Pure meh.

Considering we're near the bottom of college basketball, Meh is an upgrade buddy.

You gotta win with consistency before better coaches bother to give you more than a 10 second glance.

That was my snap take as I was feeding my kids. Not a big hire, not a Rowe hire either. Firmly meh, could be good, could be like the rest.

It’s a smart hire, not a splash. I’m ok with it.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - NJDuke97 - 03-20-2020 08:59 PM

(03-20-2020 08:35 PM)bjk3047 Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 08:26 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  I’ll wait to see if the new coach brings in impact transfers and HS recruits between now and the Summer.

Not bringing the silliness from another thread over here, at least not intentionally. But with the mandated recruiting dead period at least through April 15 (and very well longer), you may need to reserve judgement a little longer. It could be a very atypical offseason.

Fwiw Georgia Southern was among the schools mentioned as having expressed interest in this Temple grad transfer. 6’10”

https://owlsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/justyn-hamilton/11491

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Rock House Duke - 03-20-2020 09:03 PM

(03-20-2020 08:16 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Haha. You are giving Bourne and Alger credit when they are the ones that wrecked the program 4 years ago with an atrocious hire. They are simply bringing the coaching back to where it was, if that.

I got it.

This.

I was not expecting a big name but I was expecting someone who had a stronger resume than Brady when he was hired at JMU. I’m disappointed Jones did not get the job but I will support the new coach. Go Dukes!

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - BSKB 24 - 03-20-2020 09:07 PM

(03-20-2020 09:03 PM)Rock House Duke Wrote:  

I got it.

This.

I was not expecting a big name but I was expecting someone who had a stronger resume than Brady when he was hired at JMU.

Hart, you are like the Corona Virus. You are infecting these other posters!

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Eagle22 - 03-20-2020 09:14 PM

Please explain.

Ga southern might have been in worse shape than our program when he took over. He turned them around quickly in a very tough place to win. No ncaas since 1992 at Gsu. Wasn’t exactly a perennial ncaa team there.

His teams routinely are near top in scoring in ncaas. He will bring an exciting style. For real though. Not just talk like with rowe. He’s shown it already.

He had recruited top players. And to a place with no history and a worse arena than the convo.

Their fans seem disappointed he’s leaving. That’s a good sign. Remember Marist couldn’t wait to be rid of Brady, that was a red flag.

Which candidate out there was better? Mike jones? You guys ever wonder why jones hasn’t gotten a better head gig than Radford ? He’s 54 years old now, and the Radford gig is where he’s gone so far. I have no idea why. Never met the guy or paid much attention, but that to me is a concern.

Some of our fans are disappointed. Others aren't. I'm indifferent. It was time for him to deliver a Sun Belt title and NCAA tournament spot, but he couldn't put it together. The 20 win seasons have a fair amount of non D1 fill front loaded. Look over our past schedules.

We know we have an ancient arena that was infrequently filled, but this year when we had it packed, they choked the bit and lost twice in spectacular fashion. Too many games where he slowed the tempo down and we went 7+ minutes without a score. Check the boxscores. Not the kind of games to enthuse a fan base. We lost 4 games with double digit leads at home. We had the team this year to be 23 or 24 wins if we had a real offensive plan.

His plan is guard heavy and you'll see a ton of 3 point shots taken. If you've got great shooters, awesome. We saw way too many kids taking shots all season long they shouldn't be shooting well beyond the arc.

We lost an influential assistant coach to USF (Larry Dixon) and our interior game vanished, as did recruitment and development of the inside game.

He is a super nice guy, and honestly that is the part that infuriated me the most. Unless he changes, he won't work the refs and he won't hardly raise his voice with them. Larry would bark at the refs at least.

With our change at AD, it was just simply time for a separation for both parties. We may not win 20 games next year, but we have some recruiting to make up on the inside and I feel he had checked out to some degree. That is the only reason I can put for the apparent disconnect between him and some of the players. This team was more talented than our W-L record showed.

Good luck.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - KickItToScotty - 03-20-2020 09:27 PM

(03-20-2020 09:14 PM)Eagle22 Wrote:  

Please explain.

Some of our fans are disappointed. Others aren't. I'm indifferent. It was time for him to deliver a Sun Belt title and NCAA tournament spot, but he couldn't put it together. The 20 win seasons have a fair amount of non D1 fill front loaded. Look over our past schedules.

We know we have an ancient arena that was infrequently filled, but this year when we had it packed, they choked the bit and lost twice in spectacular fashion. Too many games where he slowed the tempo down and we went 7+ minutes without a score. Check the boxscores. Not the kind of games to enthuse a fan base. We lost 4 games with double digit leads at home. We had the team this year to be 23 or 24 wins if we had a real offensive plan.

His plan is guard heavy and you'll see a ton of 3 point shots taken. If you've got great shooters, awesome. We saw way too many kids taking shots all season long they shouldn't be shooting well beyond the arc.

We lost an influential assistant coach to USF (Larry Dixon) and our interior game vanished, as did recruitment and development of the inside game.

He is a super nice guy, and honestly that is the part that infuriated me the most. Unless he changes, he won't work the refs and he won't hardly raise his voice with them. Larry would bark at the refs at least.

With our change at AD, it was just simply time for a separation for both parties. We may not win 20 games next year, but we have some recruiting to make up on the inside and I feel he had checked out to some degree. That is the only reason I can put for the apparent disconnect between him and some of the players. This team was more talented than our W-L record showed.

Good luck.

This, especially the bold, certainly isn't what I want to hear.