CSNbbs
Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Targets for next Head MBB Coach (/thread-867451.html)

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Hart Foundation - 03-20-2020 06:32 PM

(03-20-2020 01:52 PM)Dukes84 Wrote:  Byington, Kerns, Ballard, Figger, Jones in the mix...

I hope this is just a smokescreen. JMU has to have much bigger coaching aspirations if they want to justify building a $100 million SEC level arena and ask the dwindling remaining basketball fans to donate more and purchase significantly more expensive season tickets.

We know Jon Alger is Mr. Nerd, but he can't be foolish too can he? He is trying to raise $200 million, but would sign off on a less than stellar hire?"

Still Hoping for a much more significant coaching hire that screams "Hey JMU alumni you need to step up your giving level. Unleash it."

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - dukes5 - 03-20-2020 06:36 PM

ESPN reporting it.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Wear Purple - 03-20-2020 06:40 PM

A few (random) thoughts about Byington (assuming he is the next head coach)…

-I will wait and see what he does between now and September before I decide to renew season tickets. Right now, I'd put myself at about 15% chance of doing that. But, he can sway me some with words, actions, plans, etc. Of course, he can sway me and lots of us with winning.

-I grew up about 45 minutes from Statesboro, GA. Folks not familiar with GSU beyond FB will know it is an extremely tough place to win in MBB. They have very little history of success. Fans aren't really interested - even when they win some. Before FB got rolling under Erk Russell when they revived their program essentially from scratch in the early 80's, GSU was known for baseball and men's golf. Even today, I suspect more fans care about baseball than MBB. So, I can't really blame Byington for seeing a cellar-dwelling program like JMU as a good step for his career and it does speak volumes that he was able to win more than he lost at GSU.

-I don't think this hire will increase ticket sales much. Just being honest. Hope I'm wrong. Winning will of course. May take some time. I'll support any new HC for at least the first 2 years, likely 3. Stating the obvious, but he needs to show positive results ASAP. He has a lot of experience coming back with 5 returning starters and 4 guys who have started the last 2 seasons (and 2 who have started since freshmen).

-We'll see quickly how the current roster reacts (read: any transfers out).

-This is so JMU MBB to release this info on a Friday evening. LOL. Though, nothing going on in the sports world outside of NFL free agency so I guess today is as good a time as any (assuming true).

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Duke Dawg - 03-20-2020 06:43 PM

This is a good hire.

Those of you expecting another lefty hire were not living in reality.

I’m happy about this one and think it will turn out to be a good move.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - jmutoml757 - 03-20-2020 06:44 PM

(03-20-2020 06:43 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  This is a good hire.

Please explain.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - hburg - 03-20-2020 06:44 PM

What happened with the other coaches and why the decision on Byington if true?

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - nyduke - 03-20-2020 06:45 PM

I hope if Byington is the coach, he does well. I would have like Rob Jones better. Oh well

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Wear Purple - 03-20-2020 06:48 PM

https://www.dailypress.com/sports/college/vp-sp-jmu-byington-20200320-cd2ews4j4rhhbo6ier4ejgwdve-story.html

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMURocks - 03-20-2020 06:48 PM

A positive here is we hired a winning coach that turned around a school in a conference with a higher RPI than the CAA.

They did beat Radford this year, and lost a game to App St by 2. Won the first two rounds of the Sun Belt tourney before it was canceled.

Was one of the favorites of the search agency I believe?

Other than that the jury is out for me until I see/learn more. Not a big name, but hopefully will turn things around quick.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Duke It Out - 03-20-2020 06:48 PM

(03-20-2020 02:31 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 02:15 PM)Duke It Out Wrote:  Byington's alma mater is UNCW. Do we know if he interviewed for that job?

No reports of him interviewing at UNCW, and it was rumored we never really had much interest in hiring him, for whatever reason.

Nation, were UNCW fans hoping that Byington would be an option for the job?

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Dukester - 03-20-2020 06:48 PM

(03-20-2020 06:45 PM)nyduke Wrote:  I hope if Byington is the coach, he does well. I would have like Rob Jones better. Oh well

Wow - I guess we found someone in the budget bin.

screw it.....03-puke

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Wear Purple - 03-20-2020 06:52 PM

43 years old...

[Image: 5ca764078a122.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C800]

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Hart Foundation - 03-20-2020 06:54 PM

Hopefully a false alarm here. Byington doesn’t meet Bourne’s criteria as he has zero NCAA appearances in his 7 years as head coach.

You can’t fire a coach for attaining the NCAA tourney in 1 of 8 years and publicly say that isn’t good enough, then hire an unqualified assistant dirt cheap, then hire a guy who has failed 7 years in a row to achieve the NCAA tourney goal.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - BSKB 24 - 03-20-2020 06:54 PM

Byington played for one of my teammates at Salem HS, Lennie Mosser. Says he is good people from a great family. He looks pretty good to me based on google. Still, the proof is in the pudding. Big buyout I’m afraid.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - POTUS#4 - 03-20-2020 06:55 PM

Mettlen

Sources inside the #JMU athletic department have confirmed the hiring of Mark Byington as MBB coach. #GoDukes #CAAHoops

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - hburg - 03-20-2020 06:55 PM

(03-20-2020 06:48 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  https://www.dailypress.com/sports/college/vp-sp-jmu-byington-20200320-cd2ews4j4rhhbo6ier4ejgwdve-story.html

Quote:Byington, 43, played in high school for the Roanoke-area Salem Spartans, winning a state title as a senior in 1994, and then was a three-year starter for JMU’s Colonial Athletic Association rival UNC Wilmington. He took the GSU job in 2013 and guided the Eagles to a 131-97 record.

Before that, he spent nine years in two stints as an assistant for the College of Charleston (mostly on Bobby Cremins’ staff), wrapped around one season (2004-05) as a Virginia Cavaliers assistant. He was a Virginia Tech assistant in 2012-13 before landing the Georgia Southern job.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Duke Dawg - 03-20-2020 06:56 PM

(03-20-2020 06:44 PM)jmutoml757 Wrote:  
(03-20-2020 06:43 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  This is a good hire.

Please explain.

Ga southern might have been in worse shape than our program when he took over. He turned them around quickly in a very tough place to win. No ncaas since 1992 at Gsu. Wasn’t exactly a perennial ncaa team there.

His teams routinely are near top in scoring in ncaas. He will bring an exciting style. For real though. Not just talk like with rowe. He’s shown it already.

He had recruited top players. And to a place with no history and a worse arena than the convo.

Their fans seem disappointed he’s leaving. That’s a good sign. Remember Marist couldn’t wait to be rid of Brady, that was a red flag.

Which candidate out there was better? Mike jones? You guys ever wonder why jones hasn’t gotten a better head gig than Radford ? He’s 54 years old now, and the Radford gig is where he’s gone so far. I have no idea why. Never met the guy or paid much attention, but that to me is a concern.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - olddawg - 03-20-2020 07:00 PM

Official: http://www.jmusports.com/news/2020/3/20/mark-byington-named-mens-basketball-head-coach.aspx

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Duke Dawg - 03-20-2020 07:03 PM

I see his top two assistants have been with him for 7 and 5 years.

Continuity on staff.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JacksonHall - 03-20-2020 07:04 PM

I just hate the "with ties to" crap. I really don't give a damn if a prospective coach has ties to Virginia or JMU. This hire is a yawner.