CSNbbs
Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Targets for next Head MBB Coach (/thread-867451.html)

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - HyperDuke - 03-19-2020 03:02 PM

(03-19-2020 03:00 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  
(03-19-2020 02:43 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  BSKB, what makes you rank those 2 above Jones? Just picked Jones since he seems to be the name with the most buzz right now. I’m just curious on your thoughts.

Multiple reasons, Hyper.

They are proven winners with Head Coaching experience. A winner is a winner. If they can win at the DII level they can win at JMU.

Because they are DII, we would be a big step up for them. We would be in a position to offer them more money than they are currently making without having to bust our budget. They should both be ready to make a move up as they have pretty much accomplished all they can in their current situations.

I will guarantee you that either would have a winning record in their first year at JMU. Google them and read up on their records.

38-0! I'll take that any day.

And I trust your judgement! Appreciate it.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - BSKB 24 - 03-19-2020 03:02 PM

(03-19-2020 03:00 PM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  Lombardi - italian coaches are better

Campanelli certainly was! And, Fratello.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - HyperDuke - 03-19-2020 03:02 PM

(03-19-2020 03:01 PM)Dukester Wrote:  
(03-19-2020 02:43 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  BSKB, what makes you rank those 2 above Jones? Just picked Jones since he seems to be the name with the most buzz right now. I’m just curious on your thoughts.

He might know something.......

Ha, I know that’s why I asked!

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JacksonHall - 03-19-2020 03:16 PM

(03-19-2020 10:19 AM)Bill Wrote:  
(03-19-2020 10:06 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  Looking at Byington’s record and others, what strikes me is there are quite a few coaches out there that can get you to 20 win season territory, but not nearly as many that get to the NCAA tourney on a regular basis if at all.

Lots of Brady and Shaver types that win but don’t make the dance much.

I believe Shaver would have greater success at JMU than he had at W&M and than Brady had at JMU, too. I don't think he's going to get that chance, but I think he would.

Shaver can coach and would certainly be an upgrade over Rowe. I just hate to keep paying a search firm (does anyone know how much we are paying for that?) And then hire a guy we could have easily hired anyway just like with the Rowe hiring.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - NJDuke97 - 03-19-2020 03:20 PM

(03-19-2020 01:08 PM)Dukes84 Wrote:  
(03-19-2020 12:33 PM)RamDawg Wrote:  
(03-19-2020 10:41 AM)Dukes84 Wrote:  The fact that we're now seeing a couple of new names being floated could mean (and I emphasize could) that we're going thru phase 1 of the interview process; i.e., initial interviews with a pool of candidates. Phase 2 might mean bringing back finalists. Might be the end of next week or beginning of following week before this is settled. I could also be totally off base.

Factually, what names are being floated around? Is there anything besides board banter or the twitter experts talking? I'm more interested in what cities Bourne has been traveling to the past couple of weeks.

I'm not sure how JMU's AD is doing it but it's been my experience, this process is nothing like the interview process for a normal business type job. Courting coaches is very similar to courting recruits. The potential candidates are interviewing JMU more so that JMU interviewing them. Head-hunters do the vetting, the AD travels to the candidate. Then most finalists have an offer in hand before an official face to face visit/interview.

First we saw Greenberg, Legler and Jones.

Then we saw Richey.

Now we're seeing Wofford and GA Southern coaches.
In a way it’s ok to see JMU rumored as a destination for an App State or Georgia Southern coach- those guys are hoops coaches for FBS schools. Aren’t those schools supposed to have access to more resources than JMU and have a higher ceiling than FCS JMU?

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Dukester - 03-19-2020 03:23 PM

(03-19-2020 03:02 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  

Multiple reasons, Hyper.

They are proven winners with Head Coaching experience. A winner is a winner. If they can win at the DII level they can win at JMU.

Because they are DII, we would be a big step up for them. We would be in a position to offer them more money than they are currently making without having to bust our budget. They should both be ready to make a move up as they have pretty much accomplished all they can in their current situations.

I will guarantee you that either would have a winning record in their first year at JMU. Google them and read up on their records.

"Because they fit our budget". Others we are interested in don't. That in itself is a downer.......

I'm your pal '24, but this budget thing is getting old. Highest budget in football in the CAA, but not the case in basketball?

As I said on another post - there are at least 50 options out there that could have winning record next year. Which one of those 50 are likely better than Brady? That's what we should be looking for.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JacksonHall - 03-19-2020 03:58 PM

(03-19-2020 02:40 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  Here are my top two choices:

Ben McCollum
Ben McCollum’s Northwest Missouri State Bearcats just capped off a 38-0 season by winning the 2018-19 NCAA Division II National Championship. For that, he was named the John McLendon National Coach of the Year.

In his 10 years at Northwest Missouri State, McCollum owns a record of 241-75, with six consecutive league titles. I could go on and on about his resume, but in the spirit of getting to the point… He’s one of the best college basketball coaches on the planet! If you’re a high school athlete looking to play at the next level, listen up!

Joe Lombardi
During his time as the head coach of the IUP men’s basketball program, Joe Lombardi has proven to be the most consistent and dominant coach in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference, and one of the most recognized and respected in not only the Atlantic Region, but the entire nation.

In 13 seasons, Lombardi has a 305-100 (.753) overall record with nine NCAA tournament appearances, four PSAC tournament titles (2010, 2011, 2013, 2019), two Atlantic Region Championships (2010, 2015) and two Division II National Championship Game appearances (2010, 2015).

He boasts a 184-52 (.780) record in conference games and has won nine PSAC West regular season titles, including five straight from 2010-14. Lombardi has also been the top postseason coach in IUP history with a combined record of 37-17 (.685) in PSAC and NCAA tournament games.

Lombardi became the all-time winningest coach in program history with a 72-64 victory over the University of the Sciences on November 27, 2015. The win was his 207th, which broke his tie with Gary Edwards for most all-time. Edwards went 206-88 (.701) in 10 seasons at IUP.

With IUP's divisional-title clinching win at Edinboro February 27, 2019, Lombardi secured his 300th career victory, becoming the fastest coach in conference history to reach that milestone.

I brought up McCollum weeks ago when I said I hope that JMU looks outside the same old names that were being kicked around and I wasn't interested in them going the assistant route again. It doesn't matter what level a guy coaches at to me. If he can coach his record will show it. I'm all in on McCollum though that was his school collegiately and I imagine it would take a lot for him to leave.
Good info on Lombardi. He looks good too.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMU85 - 03-19-2020 04:59 PM

Ralph trying to throw his hat into the ring:

https://www.dnronline.com/dnronline/sampson-has-interest-in-jmu-coaching-job/article_5bd2b3c8-0a4c-58c8-b41b-a9cb3fda05bd.html

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - HyperDuke - 03-19-2020 05:05 PM

Anyone else attend the traveling Ralph Sampson Basketball School growing up? Played against his kids & he coached us (oldest boys group). I AM THE RALPH EXPERT lol.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - nyduke - 03-19-2020 05:19 PM

Ralph Sampson was my favorite player growing up. Hes the reason I became a UVA fan back then. I still admire him, but no thanks in regards to coaching JMU.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMURocks - 03-19-2020 05:35 PM

(03-19-2020 04:59 PM)JMU85 Wrote:  Ralph trying to throw his hat into the ring:

https://www.dnronline.com/dnronline/sampson-has-interest-in-jmu-coaching-job/article_5bd2b3c8-0a4c-58c8-b41b-a9cb3fda05bd.html

While not seeing him as a viable candidate - he said two interesting things in the article:

1) need to re-brand based on the school and new arena. That makes some sense to me. Not sure what that looks like in practice, but a new image wouldn’t hurt.

2) he emphasized social media support staff when it came to assistants. Guess I can see that helping with recruiting and possibly attendance. Does UVA really do that tons better than JMU today for basketball? For Football we do a nice job I believe. Haven’t paid as much attention to basketball tweets, etc. It struck me as strange he singled this out over other assistant coaching roles.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Jeremyboz - 03-19-2020 05:49 PM

I'm in for Ralph Sampson. At least give him an interview.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JacksonHall - 03-19-2020 05:51 PM

Where was he during the last interview process? The problem with Ralph is I think he's a little ADHD. He likes the idea of something but doesn't stick with it. His coaching stints lasted one year.
I don't think he'd have any more of a clue than Rowe did unfortunately.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - KickItToScotty - 03-19-2020 05:54 PM

Sampson feels a bit like Lou Rowe 2.0. Connection to JMU/Harrisonburg and I think he really wants to see JMU basketball thrive(I agree with him that JMU should be dancing every few years and hope the next coach shares that opinion), very well known around here as a player, seems very well liked, but lacking in coaching experience to make him actually qualified for a head coach job at this level. I’d love to see him as an assistant if that’s a role he’d be open to return to at JMU and if the next HC wants him.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Bill - 03-19-2020 06:23 PM

I just can't see JMU hiring another feel good story with no head coaching experience.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Purplehazed - 03-19-2020 06:33 PM

What would jmu basketball be like now if Ralph had chosen jmu over uva? Years of top #5 ranking, probably #1

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Purple - 03-19-2020 06:38 PM

From a recruiting perspective, I think Ralph would be great. Game coaching, not so sure.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMU85 - 03-19-2020 06:45 PM

(03-19-2020 06:33 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  What would jmu basketball be like now if Ralph had chosen jmu over uva? Years of top #5 ranking, probably #1

I ran into him a few years ago and made a similar statement. He said if JMU was what it is today in he would have stayed in town to play.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Jeremyboz - 03-19-2020 07:28 PM

If Ralph is an Assistant or Head Coach at JMU, Michael Christmas will be a 2nd round NBA Draft pick.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - BSKB 24 - 03-19-2020 07:36 PM

(03-19-2020 03:23 PM)Dukester Wrote:  
(03-19-2020 03:02 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  

Multiple reasons, Hyper.

"Because they fit our budget". Others we are interested in don't. That in itself is a downer.......

I'm your pal '24, but this budget thing is getting old. Highest budget in football in the CAA, but not the case in basketball?

As I said on another post - there are at least 50 options out there that could have winning record next year. Which one of those 50 are likely better than Brady? That's what we should be looking for.

I’m not against spending whatever it would take to get a big named coach. I simply feel that we could offer these DII coaches a huge increase over what they currently make and still be less than what it would take to get the big name. That leaves more money for really good assistants and other things that would enhance the program.