CSNbbs
Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Targets for next Head MBB Coach (/thread-867451.html)

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - PolishFalconDuke - 03-17-2020 08:58 PM

Bryce Drew hired by Grand Canyon U.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JacksonHall - 03-17-2020 10:36 PM

(03-17-2020 07:56 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  Interesting conversation about Coen. I was thinking the other day about him as our next coach but didn’t post anything. I know for a fact that our administration thinks a lot of his coaching ability. I heard mentioned at a previous CAA tournament that he doesn’t get much support from his administration and that the schools President doesn’t care much about basketball. Their arena and the Dak are the two worst arenas in the CAA. Fan support is almost zero.

Coen would be a great hire. He would do very well at JMU and JMU would give him the resources he needs to have even greater success then he is having at NU.

Another underwhelming hire. I think he's a good coach but I don't see JMU fans getting into it enough to buy tickets. It wouldn't excite me at all.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JacksonHall - 03-17-2020 10:37 PM

(03-17-2020 08:58 PM)PolishFalconDuke Wrote:  Bryce Drew hired by Grand Canyon U.

How about some good news like "Jeff Bourne hired away by x". Or "Jeff Bourne retiring."

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Rock House Duke - 03-17-2020 10:42 PM

(03-17-2020 08:58 PM)PolishFalconDuke Wrote:  Bryce Drew hired by Grand Canyon U.

He chose to coach at an online school.... geez. I assume they are paying him a lot of money thanks in part from the school’s online gravy train.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Madison 91 Forever - 03-18-2020 06:41 AM

Mike Jones seems like a great hire -- look at his success. 21-11 this season. 22-11 last season. 23-13 the previous season. At RADFORD.

And it's that to which JMU should focus -- success as a head coach at the D-1 level. I'm far more interested in that than I am in hiring a "name" (e.g., Seth Greenberg) who might give us a short-term bump in attendance. Want better attendance? Win.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - jmu98 - 03-18-2020 07:00 AM

(03-17-2020 10:36 PM)JacksonHall Wrote:  
(03-17-2020 07:56 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  Interesting conversation about Coen. I was thinking the other day about him as our next coach but didn’t post anything. I know for a fact that our administration thinks a lot of his coaching ability. I heard mentioned at a previous CAA tournament that he doesn’t get much support from his administration and that the schools President doesn’t care much about basketball. Their arena and the Dak are the two worst arenas in the CAA. Fan support is almost zero.

Coen would be a great hire. He would do very well at JMU and JMU would give him the resources he needs to have even greater success then he is having at NU.

Another underwhelming hire. I think he's a good coach but I don't see JMU fans getting into it enough to buy tickets. It wouldn't excite me at all.

If you had your choice and it has to be at least somewhat reasonable, who would you hire if you were AD?

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Dukester - 03-18-2020 07:06 AM

Any coach we get I would expect to be an upgrade.

Mike Jones certainly has a decent resume, but I'm sorry - that is such a blah and uninspired move.

So JMU Admin - We're serious this time, and we are going to search a huge national list, and then hire the Radford coach?

My reaction would be "Wow - we took the easiest option available from our backyard that will not be unappealing to many, if not most."

I'd be so underwhelmed as would be most fans.

That would be par JMU move for the Admin in regard's to men's basketball decisions.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Madison 91 Forever - 03-18-2020 07:18 AM

(03-18-2020 07:06 AM)Dukester Wrote:  Any coach we get I would expect to be an upgrade.

Mike Jones certainly has a decent resume, but I'm sorry - that is such a blah and uninspired move.

So JMU Admin - We're serious this time, and we are going to search a huge national list, and then hire the Radford coach?

My reaction would be "Wow - we took the easiest option available from our backyard that will not be unappealing to many, if not most."

That would be par JMU move for the Admin in regard's to men's basketball decisions.

He's successful. He knows, and apparently recruits, the region well. We don't need a new Lefty. We need a new Lou. Hire COMPETENCE, not glitz, and success will bring excitement.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - doubleduke2016 - 03-18-2020 07:23 AM

(03-17-2020 10:42 PM)Rock House Duke Wrote:  

He chose to coach at an online school.... geez. I assume they are paying him a lot of money thanks in part from the school’s online gravy train.

We're all online schools now. 03-wink

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMad03 - 03-18-2020 07:51 AM

(03-18-2020 07:18 AM)Madison 91 Forever Wrote:  
(03-18-2020 07:06 AM)Dukester Wrote:  Any coach we get I would expect to be an upgrade.

He's successful. He knows, and apparently recruits, the region well. We don't need a new Lefty. We need a new Lou. Hire COMPETENCE, not glitz, and success will bring excitement.

I completely agree. While a hire like Jones may not make people jump out of their seats, the guy has proven he can win, and at Radford of all places.... dealing with penalties he inherited on top of that.
For a change, it would be a SMART hire! It at least makes sense.
We need a guy that can win, and Jones can win.
I do think the admin needs to take their time and make sure they have made the right choice if they are choosing to go with Jones. Make sure all choices have been interviewed because there may be a better choice at there. But the admin also can't drag their feet on things either. We could lose him and/or players that we currently have on our roster.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - KickItToScotty - 03-18-2020 07:55 AM

A new Lefty would be ideal though as long as it's a big name winner and not just a big name, and something close might be out there with Thompson III. If he isn't a real possibility though, I'd be happy with Jones and yeah being right down the road is a positive for recruiting. I also don't think it'd be anywhere close to a par move for JMU MBB. A par move at this point would be Ivan Lukic lol

I know the Big South isn't the CAA, but I don't know why we would expect JMU basketball to be able to pluck a successful coach from the exact same level the way football can. I wouldn't expect the casual fan and the general public to be enthused by Mike Jones or Bob Richey, but either of those would be a successful D1 head coach with JMU probably paying a salary of around $500k(probably more than that if Richey). Surprising to see everyone on here underwhelmed by getting exactly what everyone on here wanted.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Dukester - 03-18-2020 08:01 AM

(03-18-2020 07:51 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  

I completely agree. While a hire like Jones may not make people jump out of their seats, the guy has proven he can win, and at Radford of all places.... dealing with penalties he inherited on top of that.
I do think the admin needs to take their time and make sure they have made the right choice if they are choosing to go with Jones. Make sure all choices have been interviewed because there may be a better choice at there. But the admin also can't drag their feet on things either. We could lose him and/or players that we currently have on our roster.

How did that rushing turnout last time?

Sorry - but I'm not going to be impressed or inspired we were able to find and attract Jones.

There are hundreds of thousands of $ ticket revenues left on the board at the new arena for an underwhelming ok hire.

For the record - I believe we probably have 50 options for next year that could get us over 500. But which options are a step up over Brady? Jones would likely be one of the cheaper options and fit into our budget.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMad03 - 03-18-2020 08:15 AM

(03-18-2020 08:01 AM)Dukester Wrote:  

Sorry - but I'm not going to be impressed or inspired we were able to find and attract Jones.

There are hundreds of thousands of $ ticket revenues left on the board at the new arena for an underwhelming ok hire.

For the record - I believe we probably have 50 options for next year that could get us over 500. But which options are a step up over Brady? Jones would likely be one of the cheaper options and fit into our budget.

Just because the guy isn't going to cost millions and we didn't have to look far to get Jones doesn't mean it's a bad hire. Same could be said that if we paid a guy millions and got him from the other side of the country doesn't mean he's going to be the best option, either.
First, he wins games. We need a coach that can win games. And he's not hovering at .500 either. Also, don't discount the benefits of a guy that knows the area. He knows the region and has recruited fairly well. At that was at RADFORD. Imagine what he could do with our facilities and academics.
A sexy hire doesn't equal success. I'm not saying that Jones is the best option out there. But I am saying Jones would be a massive improvement over any guy we've had since Lefty.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Dukes84 - 03-18-2020 08:41 AM

(03-18-2020 08:15 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  

Just because the guy isn't going to cost millions and we didn't have to look far to get Jones doesn't mean it's a bad hire. Same could be said that if we paid a guy millions and got him from the other side of the country doesn't mean he's going to be the best option, either.
First, he wins games. We need a coach that can win games. And he's not hovering at .500 either. Also, don't discount the benefits of a guy that knows the area. He knows the region and has recruited fairly well. At that was at RADFORD. Imagine what he could do with our facilities and academics.
A sexy hire doesn't equal success. I'm not saying that Jones is the best option out there. But I am saying Jones would be a massive improvement over any guy we've had since Lefty.

Yup. He was an assistant at VCU and at P5 schools. Has been successful at Radford and has shown he can beat P5 teams on the road. A massive improvement, no doubt. With winning, excitement will come.

If you read Mettlen, he doesn't have anything new. JMU has been in contact with Jones and Richey. He adds that rumors are swirling around coaching circles that JT3 might make some sense.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JacksonHall - 03-18-2020 08:54 AM

(03-18-2020 07:00 AM)jmu98 Wrote:  

If you had your choice and it has to be at least somewhat reasonable, who would you hire if you were AD?

Of those that seem to be available, I'd look for a guy with either some name recognition like Thompson or a guy who is a proven winner like McCollum in DII. Jones first 4 years at Radford were similar to Rowe's. I feel like we need an instant upgrade not a long term rebuild.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - KickItToScotty - 03-18-2020 09:03 AM

(03-18-2020 08:54 AM)JacksonHall Wrote:  
(03-18-2020 07:00 AM)jmu98 Wrote:  

Of those that seem to be available, I'd look for a guy with either some name recognition like Thompson or a guy who is a proven winner like McCollum in DII. Jones first 4 years at Radford were similar to Rowe's. I feel like we need an instant upgrade not a long term rebuild.

Jones’ second and third years at Radford were with the program on probation and short two scholarships. Obviously his first year was amid all that controversy and knowing something was probably coming.

Wanting a D2 coach over any P5 assistant is not a good idea in my opinion, but debatable. Wanting a D2 coach over a successful Big South or SoCon coach is insane.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMU08 - 03-18-2020 09:09 AM

The name of most coaches isn't going to move the casual fan needle. Unless it's a Pitino or Smart, casual fans don't care. I didn't even know who JTIII or Bryce Drew were until people started mentioning them on here. I knew Greenberg by name, but also not excited to hear that at all. I've actually heard of Mike Jones before, and more than most of the "name" coaches that are getting mentioned on here.

Can't imagine being a student and being told some guy I've never heard of that's been out of coaching/flamed out at his last job being an exciting thing to go to games for. Maybe hearing how a guy won at a crap place like Radford would peak my interest though.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - jmudukes001 - 03-18-2020 09:12 AM

(03-18-2020 08:15 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  

We can argue about that last sentence. I mean Brady was 60-30 in his last 3 seasons at Marist. I don’t see Jones as the best hire in our most important hire maybe ever. This is the type hire that if the budget is 500k, spend 600k. I don’t even know if the phone will ring for season tickets if we hire the Radford coach.

Again, let’s hope the delay is the search is continuing nationwide for better options.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Deez Nuts - 03-18-2020 09:25 AM

I'm expecting a name we haven't talked about yet... Withers style.

Guessing for an announcement next week, purely speculation

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - olddawg - 03-18-2020 09:34 AM

(03-18-2020 09:25 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  I'm expecting a name we haven't talked about yet... Withers style.

Guessing for an announcement next week, purely speculation

Bring on the "Juice"