CSNbbs
Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Targets for next Head MBB Coach (/thread-867451.html)

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMad03 - 03-16-2020 10:14 AM

(03-16-2020 09:32 AM)JacksonHall Wrote:  
(03-15-2020 10:07 PM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  Expecting to be disappointed, but the early end to the season and low vacancies are a pretty huge wildcard. Still expecting it be a few weeks, but now it's not an impossibility for us to close the deal any day now. Again, improbable? Yes. But not impossible. Hoping the administration finally decides to go big, nail things down this week, and surprise us all with a...decent hire.

I would be surprised if everyone here wasn't skeptical given the decision making track record for men's basketball.

I agree unfortunately. After decades of screwing this up, it's really hard to think that they would finally do it right. It's the same admin (for the most part) that has screwed up in the past and now are just going to hit a home run after striking out so badly in the past.
Perhaps they will. Perhaps this time they see the urgency: new arena and they need fans to show up and fill that arena. I'm trying not to be pessimistic about it but it is extremely difficult.
Let's just say if it's a questionable hire I won't be surprised. I would be surprised if it was actually a really good hire. I would be shocked beyond belief if it was a big name hire.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Wear Purple - 03-16-2020 10:23 AM

(03-16-2020 10:14 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  
(03-16-2020 09:32 AM)JacksonHall Wrote:  
(03-15-2020 10:07 PM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  Expecting to be disappointed, but the early end to the season and low vacancies are a pretty huge wildcard. Still expecting it be a few weeks, but now it's not an impossibility for us to close the deal any day now. Again, improbable? Yes. But not impossible. Hoping the administration finally decides to go big, nail things down this week, and surprise us all with a...decent hire.

I would be surprised if everyone here wasn't skeptical given the decision making track record for men's basketball.

I agree unfortunately. After decades of screwing this up, it's really hard to think that they would finally do it right. It's the same admin (for the most part) that has screwed up in the past and now are just going to hit a home run after striking out so badly in the past.
Perhaps they will. Perhaps this time they see the urgency: new arena and they need fans to show up and fill that arena. I'm trying not to be pessimistic about it but it is extremely difficult.
Let's just say if it's a questionable hire I won't be surprised. I would be surprised if it was actually a really good hire. I would be shocked beyond belief if it was a big name hire.

Yep. I remind myself that Reggie Jackson, aka Mr. October, struck out a MLB-leading 2,597 times in his career. But, he also hit 563 dingers. I don't think any of us should think a homer will be hit here based on past performance. Just hoping like you and others that maybe, just maybe, we'll connect this time around. Perhaps the pitcher will hit our swinging bat in the sweet spot and we stumble upon a game changer in spite of ourselves.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - RamDawg - 03-16-2020 10:25 AM

(03-15-2020 08:02 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  
(03-15-2020 07:53 PM)jmufbs Wrote:  
(03-15-2020 07:44 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  
(03-15-2020 07:33 PM)jmufbs Wrote:  JTIII checks a lot of those boxes... and moves us closer to AAC desirability IMO.

Gotta win, which perhaps he will do if we land him. Winning hopefully will attract fans and especially students. We won't attract any conference with a half-full/half-empty arena. I truly don't care who the head coach is. Just win, babyyyyy. The rest will take care of itself. JMU fans are known to get behind a winner in a big way. We need the locals to see this program in a light like they did back in the days of the Lefthander...who, regardless of his shortcomings in the postseason, was a winner and attracted interesting programs into the 'burg.

winning is the ultimate goal, but if you were a fan during the Lefty years you can appreciate what a name coach can do without dominating the win column.
Lefty only had a .589 win pct. at JMU, made the NCAA only once, but excitement was always high because of the spectacle surrounding the games and the big name programs he could get to play us- and the players he could attract to JMU that other coaches couldn't.
JT3 is closer to that profile than any of the candidates left.
i'd rather bet on a proven name coach, then hoping a "no- name" wins.

100% agree with you. As I said to someone in a reply a few days ago, the characteristics of being a "name" and "winning" aren't mutually exclusive. We can have both. If we get a head coach who is bland and does nothing to try to fire up the fanbase (which certainly includes the student body, in my opinion should be the first priority), then he had better damn well win and win big (see boring Bill Belichick as an example).

Wear Purple used "Just win" and "winning is the ultimate goal" in previous posts. I absolutely agree but with the question....When? What are the expectations?

We can realistically hire an older experienced named coach that didn't work out elsewhere that will likely bring immediate improvement. Or we can realistically bring in a lesser known coach, as in assistant from the ACC or SEC that may not have the immediate success but has the skills, desire and drive to improve consistently over the next 4 or 5 years. I prefer the latter, the builder instead of a fixer, the tortoise over the hare.

Regardless of the type of guy we hire, hopefully he's that guy that can recruit the under the radar, hidden gem type athletes, something the good mid major programs are good at. Coach Rowe was really good at it but unfortunately didn't know how to train them and develop them.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMad03 - 03-16-2020 10:49 AM

(03-16-2020 10:25 AM)RamDawg Wrote:  
(03-15-2020 07:44 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  
(03-15-2020 07:33 PM)jmufbs Wrote:  JTIII checks a lot of those boxes... and moves us closer to AAC desirability IMO.

Gotta win, which perhaps he will do if we land him. Winning hopefully will attract fans and especially students. We won't attract any conference with a half-full/half-empty arena. I truly don't care who the head coach is. Just win, babyyyyy. The rest will take care of itself. JMU fans are known to get behind a winner in a big way. We need the locals to see this program in a light like they did back in the days of the Lefthander...who, regardless of his shortcomings in the postseason, was a winner and attracted interesting programs into the 'burg.

winning is the ultimate goal, but if you were a fan during the Lefty years you can appreciate what a name coach can do without dominating the win column.
Lefty only had a .589 win pct. at JMU, made the NCAA only once, but excitement was always high because of the spectacle surrounding the games and the big name programs he could get to play us- and the players he could attract to JMU that other coaches couldn't.

100% agree with you. As I said to someone in a reply a few days ago, the characteristics of being a "name" and "winning" aren't mutually exclusive. We can have both. If we get a head coach who is bland and does nothing to try to fire up the fanbase (which certainly includes the student body, in my opinion should be the first priority), then he had better damn well win and win big (see boring Bill Belichick as an example).

Wear Purple used "Just win" and "winning is the ultimate goal" in previous posts. I absolutely agree but with the question....When? What are the expectations?

We can realistically hire an older experienced named coach that didn't work out elsewhere that will likely bring immediate improvement. Or we can realistically bring in a lesser known coach, as in assistant from the ACC or SEC that may not have the immediate success but has the skills, desire and drive to improve consistently over the next 4 or 5 years. I prefer the latter, the builder instead of a fixer, the tortoise over the hare.

Regardless of the type of guy we hire, hopefully he's that guy that can recruit the under the radar, hidden gem type athletes, something the good mid major programs are good at. Coach Rowe was really good at it but unfortunately didn't know how to train them and develop them.

I disagree with the "assistant coach" part. That is a big part of what got us in this mess. Keener was an assistant in the ACC and a Final Four team at that and we see how that turned out. Hiring an assistant coach is going to be a huge risk. For many Sanchez would have been a great hire and his resume as a head coach isn't good... yet.
Not to put salt on an open wound, but Rowe was considered a builder as well.
We cannot afford to take a chance on this hire. They need to go after a head coach with experience that has won games. I don't know why a fix can't also be a build. This program needs a shot in the arm, but I do agree that it needs to be with the long term in mind.
If the admin feels the urgency of the arena and decides to go out of their comfort zone, I think they will probably opt for a guy that can have an immediate impact over a guy with the long term in mind.
I understand why Rowe wasn't fired last year, but I think having that extra year to build the program would have been key to the success of this program for the future. But now the urgency is stronger than ever and they just cannot afford to wait another 3-4 years... they need MBB to win and win now. Fan support needs to build off of the first year in the new arena. Having a losing season may be incredibly difficult to bring back fans.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - NJDuke97 - 03-16-2020 10:56 AM

Yep can’t afford to hire someone who learns on the job- need someone who has already been a successful coach at the mid major level (at some point) in their career.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - KickItToScotty - 03-16-2020 10:58 AM

Well you left out the option that seems to be the way JMU is likely going, which is a current head coach from a D1 program with a lower ceiling than ours should be. Good point on asking what the expectations are though. Unless we really nail this hire with someone that can pull a pretty instantaneous turnaround or really blow it with someone that continues to spend the next few years in the basement of the CAA then I'd imagine we'll have plenty of debate on here in the future over whether the improvement has been enough to continue with the new guy.

The 2018-19 team went 6-12/12-19(I threw out the BC and EMU games). Assuming no one major transfers out, I'd say a good coach should immediately have this team improving upon that season, I'd hope to see around .500 or better in the CAA year one. Beyond that, it's a little tough to lay out a timeline without seeing how things go with transfers in and out. I certainly would hope we're top two or three in the CAA by year four when a decent amount of his guys will be juniors.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - nyduke - 03-16-2020 11:01 AM

Normally I do not mind hiring a well deserving assistant. But as many have said, This is way to big of a hire to take a chance on an unproven head coach. Hiring a head coach with winning experience is key and we have have some major things going for us as long as admin. doesn't screw it up
1. New Arena.....lets face it the convo was a dump
2. Losing team....guys much rather come in to this situation where they can only go up
3. Some talent....i say some because I do believe our guys are thought of as better as they are. There is a little talent here, but also should be opening of scholarships to bring in your own guys.
4. League....the CAA is a league that you can improve quickly in and doesnt have a dominant mid major program that blocks your path to the top.
Cant wait to see how this all playes out

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - KickItToScotty - 03-16-2020 11:05 AM

Yeah earlier in this thread when many had the feel that D1 head coaches wouldn't be interested and we might have to choose between an assistant or a D2/D3 head coach I was alllllllll for an assistant if those were the choices. That doesn't seem to be the actual case so at this point I think we'd be crazy to consider an assistant unless the D1 head coaches showing interest are just doing so for leverage and aren't actually interested.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - RamDawg - 03-16-2020 11:23 AM

(03-16-2020 10:49 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  
(03-15-2020 07:44 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Gotta win, which perhaps he will do if we land him. Winning hopefully will attract fans and especially students. We won't attract any conference with a half-full/half-empty arena. I truly don't care who the head coach is. Just win, babyyyyy. The rest will take care of itself. JMU fans are known to get behind a winner in a big way. We need the locals to see this program in a light like they did back in the days of the Lefthander...who, regardless of his shortcomings in the postseason, was a winner and attracted interesting programs into the 'burg.

I disagree with the "assistant coach" part. That is a big part of what got us in this mess. Keener was an assistant in the ACC and a Final Four team at that and we see how that turned out. Hiring an assistant coach is going to be a huge risk. For many Sanchez would have been a great hire and his resume as a head coach isn't good... yet.
We cannot afford to take a chance on this hire. They need to go after a head coach with experience that has won games. I don't know why a fix can't also be a build. This program needs a shot in the arm, but I do agree that it needs to be with the long term in mind.
If the admin feels the urgency of the arena and decides to go out of their comfort zone, I think they will probably opt for a guy that can have an immediate impact over a guy with the long term in mind.
I understand why Rowe wasn't fired last year, but I think having that extra year to build the program would have been key to the success of this program for the future. But now the urgency is stronger than ever and they just cannot afford to wait another 3-4 years... they need MBB to win and win now. Fan support needs to build off of the first year in the new arena. Having a losing season may be incredibly difficult to bring back fans.

Just a difference of opinion on the assistant part and us fans could argue it to the end of time. There are currently a lot of very successful HC's that came from assistant jobs that JMU would currently hire in a heart beat. Most have 10 or 15 years of gaining experience an knowledge from great programs. It's a good time for JMU to hit the reset button and I don't see any options with hiring an experienced HC that wasn't a reject somewhere else. I don't see a Wes Miller (not an impressive coaching history) type coach making an at best lateral move.

The Coach Rowe hire was a foolish gamble that didn't work out. He had NO coaching experience and no idea how to run the D1 business. Our Admin was too stupid or maybe stubborn to know to fold after year two. Understandably, coach Rowe was going to ride that train as long as possible. I really hope coach Rowe can land somewhere where he can begin to rebuild his career.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - olddawg - 03-16-2020 11:37 AM

(03-16-2020 10:58 AM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  Well you left out the option that seems to be the way JMU is likely going, which is a current head coach from a D1 program with a lower ceiling than ours should be. Good point on asking what the expectations are though. Unless we really nail this hire with someone that can pull a pretty instantaneous turnaround or really blow it with someone that continues to spend the next few years in the basement of the CAA then I'd imagine we'll have plenty of debate on here in the future over whether the improvement has been enough to continue with the new guy.

The 2018-19 team went 6-12/12-19(I threw out the BC and EMU games). Assuming no one major transfers out, I'd say a good coach should immediately have this team improving upon that season, I'd hope to see around .500 or better in the CAA year one. Beyond that, it's a little tough to lay out a timeline without seeing how things go with transfers in and out. I certainly would hope we're top two or three in the CAA by year four when a decent amount of his guys will be juniors.

Just commenting on the general nature of the highlighted comment (not directed at Scotty). This type of expectation is what frustrates me, and frankly makes me lose interest in the program in general. If our goal is merely to be top 2 or 3 in the lowly CAA (and take 4 years to do it), count me as unimpressed.

When we hired Lefty, the goal was to dominate the CAA yearly and boost our profile with "name" out of conference opponents. He knew that just routinely beating CAA opponents wasn't going to move the needle. And that was when the CAA was a stronger basketball conference. We need the expectation that we will be the premier program of our decidedly mediocre, 18th ranked basketball conference if we have any illusions of being asked to join a higher profile conference.

Most of the P5 TV deals run through mid decade. We need to be positioned with our best foot forward by then, should realignment take place. Winning the watered down CAA is not enough and I hope the coaching search is taking that into consideration. The program needs to be elevated beyond what the CAA generally allows for. It needs that expectation to keep up with our growing academic profile and our football, women's basketball, lacrosse and softball programs. The timing and nature of this hire is crucial.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMad03 - 03-16-2020 11:48 AM

(03-16-2020 11:23 AM)RamDawg Wrote:  
(03-16-2020 10:49 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  
(03-15-2020 07:53 PM)jmufbs Wrote:  winning is the ultimate goal, but if you were a fan during the Lefty years you can appreciate what a name coach can do without dominating the win column.

Just a difference of opinion on the assistant part and us fans could argue it to the end of time. There are currently a lot of very successful HC's that came from assistant jobs that JMU would currently hire in a heart beat. Most have 10 or 15 years of gaining experience an knowledge from great programs. It's a good time for JMU to hit the reset button and I don't see any options with hiring an experienced HC that wasn't a reject somewhere else. I don't see a Wes Miller (not an impressive coaching history) type coach making an at best lateral move.

The Coach Rowe hire was a foolish gamble that didn't work out. He had NO coaching experience and no idea how to run the D1 business. Our Admin was too stupid or maybe stubborn to know to fold after year two. Understandably, coach Rowe was going to ride that train as long as possible. I really hope coach Rowe can land somewhere where he can begin to rebuild his career.

Neither did Keener. That is exactly my point. I'm not saying getting an assistant head coach is an automatic disaster. You are right in saying there are many head coaches that started as assistants. But there are also assistants that may have a good resume as an assistant but never translate as a head coach and we experienced two of them in awful fashion.
My point is that JMU would be taking a major risk at this crucial point in the MBB program to put all of their hope into an assistant with zero head coaching experience that had a good resume as an assistant.
Perhaps 5-10 years from now that may be the right move. It is NOT the right move at this time. We need a head coach with experience that doesn't have to learn on the job and knows exactly how to be a head coach. Since he knows exactly what he's doing, he can fix the mess that is JMU Men's Basketball right now. The new coach is going to have plenty to focus on. He doesn't need to put on the added stress of learning how to be a head coach on top of all of that.
The admin cannot afford to take a risk on this hire. This hire is just too important to screw up.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Dukes94 - 03-16-2020 11:51 AM

(03-16-2020 11:37 AM)olddawg Wrote:  When we hired Lefty, the goal was to dominate the CAA yearly and boost our profile with "name" out of conference opponents. He knew that just routinely beating CAA opponents wasn't going to move the needle. And that was when the CAA was a stronger basketball conference. We need the expectation that we will be the premier program of our decidedly mediocre, 18th ranked conference if we have any illusions of being asked to join a higher profile conference.

Agreed on the aspirations, but when we hired Lefty, we had a couple of horses in the stable already (Kenny Brooks and Barry Brown) and were one season off a 20-win season in '86-'87. And Lefty brought with him not only Steve Hood from Maryland, but a bunch of transfers who came to JMU because he was Lefty.

Unless we get a guy coming off a high-profile gig who needs a job (like a John Beilein--no endorsement, just saying), then it will be hard for the new guy to have an immediate recruiting impact. "Come to JMU, no tradition, small conference, new building though..."

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - KickItToScotty - 03-16-2020 12:11 PM

(03-16-2020 11:37 AM)olddawg Wrote:  
(03-16-2020 10:58 AM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  Well you left out the option that seems to be the way JMU is likely going, which is a current head coach from a D1 program with a lower ceiling than ours should be. Good point on asking what the expectations are though. Unless we really nail this hire with someone that can pull a pretty instantaneous turnaround or really blow it with someone that continues to spend the next few years in the basement of the CAA then I'd imagine we'll have plenty of debate on here in the future over whether the improvement has been enough to continue with the new guy.

Just commenting on the general nature of the highlighted comment (not directed at Scotty). This type of expectation is what frustrates me, and frankly makes me lose interest in the program in general. If our goal is merely to be top 2 or 3 in the lowly CAA (and take 4 years to do it), count me as unimpressed.

When we hired Lefty, the goal was to dominate the CAA yearly and boost our profile with "name" out of conference opponents. He knew that just routinely beating CAA opponents wasn't going to move the needle. And that was when the CAA was a stronger basketball conference. We need the expectation that we will be the premier program of our decidedly mediocre, 18th ranked basketball conference if we have any illusions of being asked to join a higher profile conference.

Most of the P5 TV deals run through mid decade. We need to be positioned with our best foot forward by then, should realignment take place. Winning the watered down CAA is not enough and I hope the coaching search is taking that into consideration. The program needs to be elevated beyond what the CAA generally allows for. It needs that expectation to keep up with our growing academic profile and our football, women's basketball, lacrosse and softball programs. The timing and nature of this hire is crucial.

Oh I absolutely agree that long term being content with contending in the CAA each year isn't enough. That's why I don't agree at all with the "never should've fired Brady" crowd, we should be aiming much higher than where the ceiling clearly was with him. I want to see us dominate the CAA and be a pretty elite mid-major in basketball the way we dominate the CAA and are an elite FCS team in football.

I just think it's tough to say it's time to fire the next coach if he doesn't reach that level extremely quickly and was trying to think what is a reasonable bar to say "have us here or it's time to move on" for these first several years. Another 2-16 season next year already shows a swing and a miss in my book. Ideally we'll be where we really want to be by year three or four, pretty much dominating the CAA, but considering the roster make up and that we've seen some pretty solid teams recently out of Hofstra, Charleston, Northeastern, UNCW, it's hard to say that top two or three by year four isn't enough progress to keep the job. If that's where we plateau and that's still all we're seeing a few years later then sorry coach but our goals should be higher than that. Years five and six where we've got a full roster of his guys we should be winning the CAA.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - olddawg - 03-16-2020 12:31 PM

I'll have to walk back my assertation that the CAA was a stronger basketball conference in Lefty's days. It appears that during his 9 years here, the CAA averaged between 18th and 19th (according to Sports-reference.com.

I think my recollection was probably based more on the strength of the top teams, who generally fared well in the NCAAs. Pretty sure the CAA has not had a Tourney win since VCU and Mason left (play-in victory is a participation trophy). CAA probably had some serious bottom feeders too back in Lefty's days that brought our average rating down.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - 2Buck - 03-16-2020 01:24 PM

(03-16-2020 12:31 PM)olddawg Wrote:  I'll have to walk back my assertation that the CAA was a stronger basketball conference in Lefty's days. It appears that during his 9 years here, the CAA averaged between 18th and 19th (according to Sports-reference.com.

I think my recollection was probably based more on the strength of the top teams, who generally fared well in the NCAAs. Pretty sure the CAA has not had a Tourney win since VCU and Mason left (play-in victory is a participation trophy). CAA probably had some serious bottom feeders too back in Lefty's days that brought our average rating down.

Yeah, I'd say the overall condition of the conference back then didn't reflect how much the stronger top teams were better than the current strong teams. Even though we didn't win conf tourneys, there were a couple years where JMU was mentioned as an at-large bid.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMURocks - 03-16-2020 02:00 PM

(03-16-2020 12:31 PM)olddawg Wrote:  I'll have to walk back my assertation that the CAA was a stronger basketball conference in Lefty's days. It appears that during his 9 years here, the CAA averaged between 18th and 19th (according to Sports-reference.com.

Think thats based on SRS? Pretty sure I recall some years where the CAA was more in the 10-13 range, possibly based on Sagarin. Not sure where to locate that historical data.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - jmutoml757 - 03-16-2020 02:03 PM

I am surprised the CAA was that low, but I guess I am remembering the David Robinson years and the years when Richmond was a tough out. I always remember Oduh being a decent team too. Anyway- #’s don’t lie I suppose.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - jmu98 - 03-16-2020 02:19 PM

(03-16-2020 01:24 PM)2Buck Wrote:  

Yeah, I'd say the overall condition of the conference back then didn't reflect how much the stronger top teams were better than the current strong teams. Even though we didn't win conf tourneys, there were a couple years where JMU was mentioned as an at-large bid.

Yes, there was at least one year in the early 90's where JMU was one of the teams featured on the bubble by CBS with cameras on the team. Obviously we did not get in.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMURocks - 03-16-2020 03:35 PM

(03-16-2020 02:03 PM)jmutoml757 Wrote:  

I am surprised the CAA was that low, but I guess I am remembering the David Robinson years and the years when Richmond was a tough out. I always remember Oduh being a decent team too. Anyway- #’s don’t lie I suppose.

“Lies, damned lies and statistics”. LOL

Top of the CAA is definitely not what it was with VCU, RU, GMU, ODU in the conference, and we were no slouch either.

Strongly suspect the numbers are lower because of the specific metric being used (SRS).

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - BSKB 24 - 03-16-2020 07:14 PM

Reading through the thread I see a pattern of people thinking it will take 3 or 4 years to get us to be a winner. We can be a winner in year one with the right hire. We have good talent on this team. People underestimate the difference a great coach can make. I assure you that Brad Stevens would win in year one. There are great coaches out there.

My gut tells me the coach at DII IUP would be an instant winner. Also, the coach from ETSU. They have proven they are winners. I'm not so sold on JTIII or Seth VPI. Go for a guy who has proven he can win, win early and win championships. No assistant coaches this time. A proven winner. I don't want a guy from Radford or UNCG. They are just ok coaches. An improvement over what we have had in a long time for sure, but not championship coaches. Give me someone we know can win. More important than a big name. Unless, of course, the big name was Bruce Pearl or Mr. Iona.